Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1125 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 18 - 09:44am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Toshiba Satellite Shutdown 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>
Dale Shur Mar 18, 2007, 03:47pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Toshiba Satellite Shutdown
The PCU is over heating and shutting down the unit. When you run an anti-viruse it make the CPU work harder causing it to heat even more. Hold the fan still with something and use can air to blow out the cooling fins. That trick fixed my laptop

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Roberto Stasi Mar 19, 2007, 04:18pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,
Mine is a Satellite A70. I have had a shut down problem and brought the machine three times to the service center. They never fixed the shutdown problem properly because as I have learned on this site there is more than one reason why you can get a shut down on the A70. So I assume they fixed the visible problems and never fixed my overheat problem. I have had basically all of the three problems. Shut down when hot, broken power connector, static freeze. I told them to check the shut down and they did not run any intensive game or processor intensive applications. They just told me I am not supposed to run games with these types of computers. I have my doubts. With a 3.2 fast processor you can run anything. My computer was very hot on the bottom and very uncomfortable on my legs. It would shut down very often when hot even after just minutes from cold restart. I have noticed that only one fan was working and one was kicking in only when really hot. Later on, when time went by only one fan was working and the other was not starting any longer (that is the fan the cools up the processor and it should be starting first and not second by the way). When the warranty was over I opened it up myself using the good instructions on this web site (thanks greatly for that). I was able to find two problems. The only working fan was full of dust between fan and heat sink. The A70 has a liquid cooled heat sink of the type Robin with two separate sections. I find it’s a great machine and very fast. It would be great if it runs properly. The fan that was supposed to cool the processor was not working any longer and was emitting a strange sound like an alarm that would go away when touching the fan. This fan is appeared like if constantly attempting to spin but could not do so for some reasons. Now, in my logic I assumed that the fan blowing on top of the processor was supposed to start first, instead the one starting first was the one away from the processor and cooling up the elements where the liquid was passing by. That type of situation would produce of course a lot of heat. So I inverted the fan connectors realizing that the supposedly defective fan was instead working. I then decide to fix the issue myself once and for all. I said, if the board is defective I might as well try this. I had the non working fan connected in parallel with the working fan. Now they both work at the same time and at minimum speed. The computer does not heat up any longer and the chassis feels like lukewarm water temperature. I ran games I have and still it does not heat up considerably. It's never been running this cold as far as I can remember even when it was new. I rarely hear the fans running at full speed now. So I do have reasons to believe that there is a design flaw or a bad thermostat on the side of the circuit controlling the processor's fan. The computer is now fixed for good….Aaaand Yes! I do think that Toshiba should provide a recall for this issue. It would only make them look good.

Roberto Stasi Mar 19, 2007, 09:52pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Mine is an A70. I am posting repeatedly about this issue to verify if anyone is incurring in the same problem. I have sent it for repair 3 times. They changed hard drives, fixed static issue with the grounding problem (one less thing to worry about regarding the shutdown), and fixed an issue with the power jack. I told them as well about the shut down problem while overheating but they did not fix that issue. Upon opening the computer with the help of the instructions found at this great site http://www.irisvista.com/tech/index.htm I was able to determine that one fan, the one cooling the processor did not start at all. It wans't always the case as I saw it starting once on a while when the computer was new. Still, the computer was always excessively hot and unconfortable to have on my legs. I suspect that the circuit that controls the processor's fan is defective and it degrades with time because the fan is working when connected to the second feed circuit. Since I knew that this issue was not going to be fixed right now by Toshiba because they still don't have a clue, I decided to bridge the processor's fan with the second fan that cools the liquid from the heat sink going back and forth to and from the processor.
It now works like never before. Fans run at low speed, are silent and I can run any game or application without overheating at all. I know that this was my solution. So if you see that a fan is attempting to start but does not it's more likely you have the same issue.
:_)

Roberto Stasi Mar 19, 2007, 10:07pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
When you follow the instructions on the web site I gave you make sure you mark down the position of the white and black wires coming from the display for the WiFi card.

Also after you remove the screws indicated you must pull the plastic of the chassis toward the outer side in order to bend it enough to allow the volume wheel, the audio connectors and the USB to come out of their holes. That's tricky a bit. You might want to bend lightly the motherboard for easier removal. If you try to pull it up from the opposite side where the PCMCIA slot is located then push the plastic lever all the way inside while pulling up the board and pulling the chassis toward the outer side. Remember to remove the hex screws behind printer and monitor connectors or it won't come out.
If you just want to clean the heat sink without opening the computer use air pressure from behind the cooling grid. I am sure it works better.

Roberto Stasi Mar 19, 2007, 10:56pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,
Mine is a Satellite A70. I have had a shut down problem and brought the machine three times to the service center. They never fixed the shutdown problem properly because as I have learned on this site there is more than one reason why you can get a shut down on the A70. So I assume they fixed the visible problems and never fixed my overheat problem. I have sent it for repair 3 times. They changed hard drives, fixed static issue with the grounding problem (one less thing to worry about regarding the shutdown), and fixed an issue with the power jack. I told them as well about the shut down problem while overheating but they did not fix that issue. Upon opening the computer with the help of the instructions found at this great site
http://www.irisvista.com/tech/index.htm
I was able to determine that one fan, the one cooling the processor did not start at all. It wans't always the case as I saw it starting once on a while when the computer was new. Still, the computer was always excessively hot and unconfortable to have on my legs. I suspect that the circuit that controls the processor's fan is defective and it degrades with time because the fan is working when connected to the second feed circuit. Since I knew that this issue was not going to be fixed right now by Toshiba because they still don't have a clue, I decided to bridge the processor's fan with the second fan that cools the liquid from the heat sink going back and forth to and from the processor.
It now works like never before. Fans run at low speed, are silent and I can run any game or application without overheating at all. I know that this was my solution. So if you see that a fan is attempting to start but does not it's more likely you have the same issue.
This is how I fixed the issue:
The A70 has a liquid cooled heat sink of the type Robin with two separate sections. I find it’s a great machine and very fast. It would be great if it runs properly. The fan that was supposed to cool the processor was not working any longer and was emitting a strange sound like an alarm that would go away when touching the fan. This fan is appeared like if constantly attempting to spin but could not do so for some reasons. Now, in my logic I assumed that the fan blowing on top of the processor was supposed to start first, instead the one starting first was the one away from the processor and cooling up the elements where the liquid was passing by. That type of situation would produce of course a lot of heat. So I plugged the non working fan into the connector of the working fan and I have determined it was working. I then decide to fix the issue myself once and for all. I said, if the board is defective I might as well try this. I had the non working fan connected in parallel with the working fan (that is you must connect the black wires together, the central wire together and the remaining one together. Usually yellow and red) Now they both work at the same time and at minimum speed. The computer does not heat up any longer and the chassis feels like lukewarm water temperature. I ran games I have and still it does not heat up considerably. It's never been running this cold as far as I can remember even when it was new and I rarely hear the fans running at full speed now. So I do have reasons to believe that there is a design flaw or a bad thermostat on the side of the circuit controlling the processor's fan. The computer is now fixed for good….Aaaand Yes! I do think that Toshiba should provide a recall for this issue. It would only make them look good.

When you follow the instructions on the web site I gave you make sure you mark down the position of the white and black wires coming from the display for the WiFi card.

Also after you remove the screws indicated you must pull the plastic of the chassis toward the outer side in order to bend it enough to allow the volume wheel, the audio connectors and the USB to come out of their holes. That's tricky a bit. You might want to bend lightly the motherboard for easier removal. If you try to pull it up from the opposite side where the PCMCIA slot is located then push the plastic lever all the way inside while pulling up the board and pulling the chassis toward the outer side. Remember to remove the hex screws behind printer and monitor connectors or it won't come out.
If you just want to clean the heat sink without opening the computer use air pressure from behind the cooling grid. I am sure it works better.

Roberto Stasi Mar 27, 2007, 06:30pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I am sorry for posting too many times the same message. My browser did not refresh well.

One important thing about the above modification for those who don't know. You must disconnect the processor's fan from the motherboard when you connect it in parallel to the other fan. Parallel connection means same wire color and location with same wire color and location of the other connector. Positive feeds have different colors in each connector, (yellow and red I think) but they go together. Don't connect the malfunctional or slow fan to the other fan and to the motherboard at the same time. That's a short.

mike smith Apr 09, 2007, 12:59pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The M4 performed well for the 1st year then began overheating and locking-up around 14 months old. The fan progressively blew longer, louder and at higher speed. Now it blows at high speed all the time, overheats & freezes-up. This fragments the HD & excessive heat deforms other parts all over the M4. Already had sys. board replaced in 1st year. The fan running high all the time causes the inside of the M4 to accumulate lots of dust, fan wears out quickly & battery life is diminished. Dust accumulates under the screen and looks like dead pixels. Requires dismantling the screen assembly & bezel to clean.

However, the worst issue with owning the Toshiba M4 has been Toshiba's warranty service which resulted in a quagmire that my valid claim was left in limbo - unresolved. After sending the M4 to Toshiba Depot for warranty repair they sent it back whereby it only worked for a couple days then overheated and fan malfunctioned. Toshiba gave me two alternatives. Either repeatedly send the notebook back-and-forth to their repair depots (which has proven futile) or call customer relations and complain. Their repair process has literally taken months off my warranty period and wasted alot of the days I could be using the notebook under warranty. Toshiba doesn't add days onto your warranty for loss of time in their depot. This results in aggravation, disservice and functional losses. I suspect my warranty will eventually expire giving Toshiba more options to ignore my claim and manipulate their obligation to honor the warranty. Don't buy a Toshiba. You'll wish you didn't for the above reasons and more!

Paul Cofrancesco Jun 27, 2007, 04:45pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jun 27, 2007, 04:47pm EDT

>> Re: Toshiba Satellite A75 Shutdown - due to broken internal power connector - SOLUTION
06-27-07: The problem is NOT that the unit got so hot that it melted!! That would require 360-370 F.. how amazing that ONLY one solder joint melted but none of the others.

I repaired an Toshiba A75-S209, the problem is caused by poor design - the back of the power plug inside breaks off the motherboard because it is weak and some users push too hard when putting the pwr plug in.

The trick is to pry apart the corner after taking many screws out and the keyboard etc. Next, because it can't be soldered properly with this time saving method the key is to relocate the plug outside the laptop by unsoldering it from the motherboard and tying a knot in the wires that you solder on to the mother board so then can not be yanked through the hole to the outside and pulled off the motherboard.

After I implemented this solution the laptop has been working great. Also, your battery is fine, the problem is that it is NOT being charged that's why it goes dead or your charger got messed up. Put it on a known good charger and it will work fine!

-Mrbios

jodee nelson said:
i have a 1905-s301, and it also has the problem with running off of battery power instead of ac,the little battery light being red/orange or blinking or off, and the battery not charging. wiggling the power cord, or holding it a certain way worked for a while, but it got progressively worse.

They told me that my laptop had gotten so hot that it had melted the sautering that held the power jack to the motherboard (or whatever its connected to) and they recommended that i replace the motherboard.

Another tech in the same store said that he could sauter it back on, but it may not hold. He did it, and i'm sure he cleaned it while it was in there.

It worked great for 2 weeks until my boyfriend tripped over the cord and broke the power thing loose again. The guy fixed it again at his home, but after a month, i'm having the same problems

Paying a store to clean it out is cheaper than replacing the motherboard!

Anonymous User Jun 28, 2007, 07:36am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Even the new toshibas have heat problem :D:D:D...

ok I have one smart thing to say..
I have tried every kind of thermal compound, including arctic silver 5 etc.etc.

The best solution for me was Cooler Master Gap Filler Master Pad
so easy to use, and by far the best thermal conductivity.. ofcourse you must
clean the sink every once in a while. I do it with a vacuum cleaner.
I strongly suggest you to find that product, and try it out.

good luck with this heat problem... I have a 1900 satellite.. have been using it
for 6 years. dealt with heat problem 4 years.

Paul Cofrancesco Jun 28, 2007, 01:54pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jun 28, 2007, 01:55pm EDT

>> Cooler Master Gap Filler Master Pad & Toshiba Satellite Shutdown
Pete, most of the time when I build desktops I never use any thermal compound becasue in stock running conditons there is more than enought heat transfer to the heat sink. But cooling in laptops is tougher because of the space and dust issues. It sounds like your cpu heat sink has a gap or the mainboard is warped a bit so the heat sink doesn't fit as tighlty as it should.

TIP FOR ALL NOTEBOOK / LAPTOP USERS WITH LOUD FANS OR HEAT ISSUES: Next time buy a laptop with the Intel/Centrino/Pentium-m/Celeron-m or AMD XP-M processor. It will cost a little more but you get 2 to 3x the battery life and you will probalby NEVER need to clean your laptop's cpu heatsink. One customer uses his Dell with a pentium-m for 4 yrs daily in the office - no heat problems!! The low power / low voltage = low heat laptops add about $300 to the proce but are worth every penny!!

-Mrbios

Peeter Siitan said:
Even the new toshibas have heat problem :D:D:D...

The best solution for me was Cooler Master Gap Filler Master Pad
so easy to use, and by far the best thermal conductivity..

Anonymous User Jun 28, 2007, 05:37pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
It sounds like your cpu heat sink has a gap or the mainboard is warped a bit so the heat sink doesn't fit as tighlty as it should.

yes dude, it sounds like I have Toshiba 1905 series satellite, with regular pentium 4
processor (not mobile)... so im telling what is the best solution with this piece of
garbage.

ofcourse I will never ever buy another laptop that has pentium 4 processor in it,
it is nonsense

Paul Cofrancesco Jun 28, 2007, 07:59pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The early P4's based on the Northwood core weren't too bad but the later one's based on the "Prescott core" can generate something like 135 watts of heat! My wife has a Dell Inspiron 9100 "desktop replacement" and it is a heat monster and the fans run loudly most of the time.

Dave Pen Jul 03, 2007, 06:39am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Guys,

I also had a problem with my Toshiba Laptop shutting down. I discovered that on the underside the air intake was getting blocked by loose papers being sucked up over the air inlet. As well as removing the papers i also raised the back of the laptop by wedging something about an inch high under the back edge. This has allowed a better airflow and has so far prevented any further shutdowns. I know we should not have to go to such lengths but if it solved the problem for me it may work for you.

Q Tran Jul 25, 2007, 11:06pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello, I am new to the group and yes my A70 overheats and shuts down all the time. I have had it serviced before under warranty but the problem persists (out of warranty now). I found this website http://www.irisvist a.com/tech/ laptops/ToshibaA 75/satA75_ 1.htm
with a step-by-step guide to disassembling the A70. Just wondering how others found this guide? Do I have to follow all the steps? (is it necsarry to remove everything like the harddrive... etc. if all I want to do is clean out the fan and heatsink?) Just want to know what is the minimal dismantling I need to do to get to fan and heatsink? I am a bit nervous resorting to opening up the notebook and don't want to permanently wreck it.

thanks

Roberto Stasi Jul 26, 2007, 05:22pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I am trying to provide solutions for this problem of the shut down. I have solved the reset of my shut down problems myself. At toshiba they fixed decently the problem with the shut down due to static. I have had all of the problems realated to shut down for my A70 laptop.
Here is the solutions:
You will see on this site the solutions for the fan problem. The easiest solution is to blow compressed air from the back of the liquid cooler grid. However I fixed mine in a better way. Since it takes a ridiculous amount of dust to start to have shut down problems and since I did notice that one fan does not start correclty to cool the CPU until is too late than I have bridged the two fans into one connector as described in this site. It works. Never had a shut down since due to overheating.
The next problem is the power jack. Someone said that they put somebody at Toshiba to research the issue. It's not true. If it's true than that persons is doing nothing at all. Being tired of having the same problem with my power jack being broken a second time I decided to open again the laptop and analyze the issue on my own. I did not like the idea of an external tail jack wich is not professional and ugly. So upon opening up the laptop and trying to unsolder the contacts of the power jack to have it checked or replaced somehow I did notice where the problem actually is. The toshiba personnel had just redone the soldering points without inspecting the source of the problem. In fact if you remove the led completely from the solder points of the jack you will notice that there is a factory problem with the motherboard. Basically the computer building the board forgot to clean the green coating from the solder points of the power jack thus the lead has nowhere to hold on to but inside the hole of the motherboard where the contact are located. Basically the contacts is weak for that simple reason. You must remove all of the lead. Pick a piece of TV cable and remove the wiremesh shield of that cable. You will use that to litterally such the lead from the soldering point. Put the wiremesh on the solder point to clean up and heat it up with the solder gun. Immerge the wiremesh in soldering paste if you have some for better results. This way all of the lead will stick to the wiremesh and you will be able to see the contact on the motherboard. I have personally used one of those lead suckers to do the job before using the wiremesh. Once you have the contact visible on the motherboard you have to scratch all of the green coating with a screwdriver or something else until you see the copper below. Redo the soldering and that connector will never brake any longer.
So many problems to the customers for so little research. hoy, hoy! Bad job for the thosiba man at the research department. He is in troubles this time.

Don Barnett Jul 30, 2007, 12:15pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> EASY FREE FIX Overheaing Laptop
Toshiba A-65 series, 2 years old, overheating after 10 minutes or so.
I used a shop vac to suck dirt and dust and hairballs out from the botton and rear vents.
Hasn't overheated since.

Michael Evenson Sep 06, 2007, 02:33pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
For a long list of toshiba service manuals try this-

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_modSel.jsp?mo...dgngdgmn.0

Daryl Wilson Mar 03, 2008, 12:36am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I am running Win XP Pro Media Center SP2 on a Toshiba Satellite A105-S4324 which has Intel Centrino Duo 1.6GHz dual processor and 160GB HDD with 4GB RAM. I have had problems with this crappy machine since I purchased it. Toshiba's service center only seems to have foreign telephone operators to assist (they speak very little English and can only barely read a preprinted list of supposed fix-alls), and when you do finally get referred to a technician who may speak English, he is unable to actually diagnose the problem any further than I could, telling me to take it in to a local shop or send it to an authorized repair facility (my cost). Toshiba even had my computer preregistered by about 6 months, making my one-year warranty expire 6 months too early. I finally got that problem corrected (took a month) and was able to get warranty repair work done at a local Toshiba authorized service center. Different problem occurred though - they completely wiped out my hard drive, told me that my repair disk was unreadable, but they could order a new one at my cost of $40. And the original problem still existed (was unable to boot up my computer and could not access wireless, Win XP said I did not have a wireless card even though it came with it built-in and I physically opened up the back panel to see it plain as day). I called up the service center and retrieved my computer as-is and ended up repairing the problems myself over a period of a few days, but computer still only recognizes 3GB of RAM rather than the installed 4GB, even after updating the BIOS. Still have no solution for this and Toshiba, again, is unable to tell me how to correct this problem. Go figure, right? Idiots!!! Now, my computer has been randomly shutting down without any kind of notice whatsoever. I tried Safe Boot with Win XP, but it fails even that. I was unable to run McAfee Anti-Virus or hard drive backup for my data (necessary before I ever send it in for service again), but it keeps shutting off. The fan has been running constantly, even if I turn it on after several days of it being off, unused. I've even tried putting a cold compress under the computer to see if that would make the computer cool down and not run the fan constantly, but to no avail. Finally, after reading about the random, sudden shut down happening with older Toshiba laptops, I decided on using an air can and blowing loose whatever might be in the vents and fan, then I used a household vacuum to suck out whatever might also be lodged in there. And, to top that all off, I placed the laptop outside in the cold, snow-covered porch to get really cold before bringing it back inside and plugging it in and attempting to use the computer again. Guess what??? It seems to be working again without shutting down immediately upon booting up into Win XP. I'm trying a processor-intensive media transcoding of VOB files to AVI DivX just to be sure it is working alright, but so far...all seems to be going well again, for how long who knows though.

Daryl Wilson Mar 03, 2008, 12:41am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I am running Win XP Pro Media Center SP2 on a Toshiba Satellite A105-S4324 which has Intel Centrino Duo 1.6GHz dual processor and 160GB HDD with 4GB RAM. I have had problems with this crappy machine since I purchased it. Toshiba's service center only seems to have foreign telephone operators to assist (they speak very little English and can only barely read a preprinted list of supposed fix-alls), and when you do finally get referred to a technician who may speak English, he is unable to actually diagnose the problem any further than I could, telling me to take it in to a local shop or send it to an authorized repair facility (my cost). Toshiba even had my computer preregistered by about 6 months, making my one-year warranty expire 6 months too early. I finally got that problem corrected (took a month) and was able to get warranty repair work done at a local Toshiba authorized service center. Different problem occurred though - they completely wiped out my hard drive, told me that my repair disk was unreadable, but they could order a new one at my cost of $40. And the original problem still existed (was unable to boot up my computer and could not access wireless, Win XP said I did not have a wireless card even though it came with it built-in and I physically opened up the back panel to see it plain as day). I called up the service center and retrieved my computer as-is and ended up repairing the problems myself over a period of a few days, but computer still only recognizes 3GB of RAM rather than the installed 4GB, even after updating the BIOS. Still have no solution for this and Toshiba, again, is unable to tell me how to correct this problem. Go figure, right? Idiots!!! Now, my computer has been randomly shutting down without any kind of notice whatsoever. I tried Safe Boot with Win XP, but it fails even that. I was unable to run McAfee Anti-Virus or hard drive backup for my data (necessary before I ever send it in for service again), but it keeps shutting off. The fan has been running constantly, even if I turn it on after several days of it being off, unused. I've even tried putting a cold compress under the computer to see if that would make the computer cool down and not run the fan constantly, but to no avail. Finally, after reading about the random, sudden shut down happening with older Toshiba laptops, I decided on using an air can and blowing loose whatever might be in the vents and fan, then I used a household vacuum to suck out whatever might also be lodged in there. And, to top that all off, I placed the laptop outside in the cold, snow-covered porch to get really cold before bringing it back inside and plugging it in and attempting to use the computer again. Guess what??? It seems to be working again without shutting down immediately upon booting up into Win XP. I'm trying a processor-intensive media transcoding of VOB files to AVI DivX just to be sure it is working alright, but so far...all seems to be going well again, for how long who knows though. I tell everyone to stay far, far away from Toshiba's computers. Myself, I will NEVER, EVER buy another Toshiba computer. They used to be a good company with quality products, but in the past few years they have REALLY gone downhill.

Laptop Willie Mar 03, 2008, 01:58pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 03, 2008, 01:58pm EST

Daryl,
One thing a lot of people forget is that a notebook, like a car, requires maintenance. One of the requirements is that the CPU heat-exchanger needs cleaning from time to time. If this is not done, it is possible to damage the motherboard. Warping is a common problem with overheating the motherboard. This in turn will cause the BGA type chips to come loose from the board. This is most common with the newer video chips. This is not just a requirement of Toshiba, but most ALL notebooks. The cleaning you did with the vacuum should be carried out every so often. I suggest about every 6 months. Keep it clean and dry and it should last a while.

Laptop Willie
check out laptopwillie.com

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.