Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1173 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 09:30pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Toshiba Satellite Shutdown 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>
Philip Alter Mar 07, 2008, 10:32pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Toshiba Satellite Shutdown
I have an M45-S165 with Celeron M processor. Mine started shutting down last July (2007) 1-1/2 years after I bought it. There is no set time nor activity that makes it shut down. I have seen it shutdown within 6 hours of being turned on and I've seen it last as long as 6 days without the shutdown. It is under warranty but that does not help and Toshiba does not respond. One of their authorized service centers said straight out "we cannot just sit and watch it waiting to see it shut down. If you can't force it to shutdown by doing some process/task, then we cannot fix it".

I spent $200 on fans, heat sink and cleanings. I bought a chill pad for the laptop to sit on. And still it shuts down.

I have given up trying to resolve this and since the laptop is really secondary to my desktop PC, I have no plans to replace it.

By the way, do a web search on "Toshiba Laptop Sudden Shutdown" and there are thousands of hits. Then replace "tobshiba" in the search with any other brand (i.e., HP or IBM or even MAC) and guess what - this is not limited to Toshiba.

I had an IBM thinkpad for 4 years and never had to turn it off or had it shutdown. Maybe I was lucky that it lasted 4 years. I am not happy with Toshiba, and won't ever buy any of their products - not because my laptop shuts down; but because they don't respond and their warranty service centers won't help.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Tai Nguyen Apr 07, 2008, 11:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My solution: Leaf Blower

I have a Toshiba A75-S125. It shuts down 2 minutes after I started Disk Defragmenter or Disk Cleanup. Compressed air can did not get much dust out of the laptop. I decided to use my leaf blower and it worked great!

Notes:
- have someone hold your laptop, else it’ll be blown away.
- turn on the blower for 10 seconds to let all the dust come out first (you don't want them get inside your laptop anyway).
- block your laptop fans so that they won’t spin (I used a small electric wire)

funkyfriedfish May 18, 2008, 03:49am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
2004 to 2008 wow what a lengthy thread. As an owner of a toaster a75-s209, *cough* I mean Toshiba, I felt compelled to reply with my experiences.

As mentioned in this thread my machine has suffered from all of these problems. Not all at the same time mind you but after 3+ years of ownership and daily moderate to heavy use it's seen it all without as much as a day of downtime. Before you say anything I'm not special and I don't have a special machine I just refuse to ship my machine back for repairs which ultimately end up with Toshiba sending me back a machine with my HDD restored to "factory". I mean who really wants all that trouble anyway?

This site was a terrific help in tearing down my machine the first time. Have a look, the step by step instructions are great. http://www.laptopka.com/2006/03/18/taking-apart-notebook/comment-page-11/

PROBLEM: Static discharge through the metal speaker covers causes machine to lock up or become non-responsive.
SOLUTION: Ground speaker grills and mouse pad. I did this simply with some plumbers foil tape used for household metal ducting which can be found in home improvement or hardware stores. Cut the tape and adhere it to the underside of the top case to create new bridges from each of the metal speaker grills and double mouse button frame. When you examine your underside of the case top you'll see that speaker grills are only grounded on one of each of the metal tabs holding the speaker grills in place. I created a new grounding point to one of the other tabs leaving Toshiba's grounding in place and the same goes for the mouse frame. Before you adhere the foil tape make sure you scrape the metal areas you'll be grounding to so you remove any paints or coatings and you have bare metal to foil contact for best results. You can see some ideas and fixes not to mention what I'm talking about here: http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2006/04/06/satellite-m35...s-reboots/
RESULT: Since my fix I haven't had the machine lock up or freeze due to static discharge. 100% fixed.

PROBLEM: Horrible tinny sounding speakers.
SOLUTION: While I had my case top off repairing the static discharge problem I went ahead and secured some sound baffle behind the speakers. With the speakers re-installed in the top case take some stretch bandage (the stretchy stuff that sticks to itself). I used some stuff that was about 2 inches wide and cut two pieces, one for each speaker, that made a nice square about 2 inches by 2 inches which covered the back (on top of the magnet) nicely. I secured it using some painters masking tape cut into quarter inch strips much like is found inside the case already.
RESULT: I now have much cleaner sounding not as tinny and definitely no rattles. This fix was a nice bonus I thought of while I was repairing the static issue. 80% better sound.

PROBLEM: Power / Charging plug gets hot from overheating causing the soldering to form cold joints and intermittent or total power loss. You'll notice this happening when you can wiggle your power cable and the charge / power lights on the front of the notebook go off and on.
SOLUTION: Tear down the machine and locate the power connector. Remove old solder, clean board and contact areas, and re-solder with high quality (high heat) solder. Be sure you flux and tin neatly and in small amounts to keep factory looking joint connections.
RESULT: Power connector now functions as it should and battery charges. Since this fix I haven't had any problems. 50% solution see below for overheating which is the cause of why this happens. See more about this problem here: http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2006/01/28/toshiba-satel...k-problem/

PROBLEM: Overheating caused by clogged and dirty heatsinks.
SOLUTION: Keep the heatsinks clean by using compressed air regularly and if needed tear down the machine to physically clean the heatsinks.
RESULT: With the heatsinks clean your machine will run cooler and as regular maintenance it's always a good idea. 25% solution see below for more. You can get an idea of what these heatsinks can look like if not maintained here: http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2006/01/04/toshiba-lapto...erheating/

PROBLEM: Overheating in general.
SOLUTION: It wasn't until I got frustrated with the heat issue that I figured I needed to look at the connection between the heatsink and the CPU. When I finally took the heatsinks off the CPU I was amazed at the condition and quality of the thermal paste. Use clean q-tips and isopropyl alcohol to remove old thermal paste. Use moist not really wet q-tips and work it into the thermal paste to get it to release. Make sure to clean both the heatsink and CPU. Use a high quality thermal paste like Arctic Silver when reapplying. Use a small pea sized dot of thermal paste in the center of the CPU and four smaller dots on the corners so when it's compressed between the heatsink and CPU it creates as much thermal area for heat transfer as possible BUT do not use so much that the thermal paste oozes out causing a messy cleanup of thermal paste from the CPU socket or board. Remember think small it doesn't take a lot of thermal paste (small pea sized dot) to make the best connection and in this case more isn't better.
RESULT: After replacing the horrible thermal paste my machine came with from the factory my CPU runs incredibly cooler therefore it takes less to keep the machine cool and as a result my power connector doesn't heat solder itself apart. 25% fix to power connector problem and I'll swear to 75% fix to my overheating along with the above heatsinks.

PROBLEM: Cooling fans noisy.
SOLUTION: Keep the fans lubricated with a 5-in-1 or sewing machine oil. These oils don't attract dirt and can be applied in very small amounts. While your machine is apart for heatsink cleaning it's a good idea to maintenance your fans. Removing the fans from the board are just four screws and two molex power connectors to release the fans. Once removed you can see the sticker looking covers over the center bearing. Carefully remove the sticker so it can be reinstalled and best is to just lift a corner and peel back half way to allow access to the center bearing. Using a small applicator like a needle place a very small dot (dew drop size, VERY SMALL AMOUNT) on the center bearing directly. Spin the fan manually and work the lubricant into the bearing. Be VERY careful that you don't get any lubricant on the plastic surrounding the bearing or the sticker cover will not adhere back to the plastic. This can cause any excess oil to leak which could short something out if it's alot or worse it can allow dust to enter the bearing point mixing with the lubricant and frying a fan.
RESULT: I'm a firm believer in keeping fans lubricated as maintenance items. Taking just a few minutes every couple months can save lots of money in costly repairs.

Well anyway I hope this helps someone keep or get your machine running.

Good luck!

peter de villiers Jul 24, 2008, 09:58pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jul 24, 2008, 10:01pm EDT

I have also experienced this with a Satellite over the past few years, and am now shcoked to find it a general problem with this model of Toshiba Laptop.

Has Toshiba ever addressed this problem. It appears to be a basic design defect, and I though there were standard remedies for epedemic failure??

Alan Lynn Jul 31, 2008, 01:44am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've had a Toshiba Satellite A15-S129 for a little over 4 years. It recently developed an overheating problem, which is causing involuntary shutdowns. Pretty much overnight it went from no overheating problems to overheating very easily. I tried cleaning the dust out of the heatsink, but didn't get a significant improvement. I removed the old thermal grease and applied some RadioShack "silicone-base heat sink compound". It didn't seem to make any difference. I also had no luck with a 2 fan cooling pad.

I don't know what could cause an overheating problem so suddenly. I was using my computer for plenty of processor intensive purposes before without problem, but now I can barely even use the internet. Has anyone had a similar problem or think they might know a solution?

Anonymous User Jul 31, 2008, 11:30am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
its all familiar to me... I had also the problem... at a point, where nothing helped me
cleaning the heatsink, changing thermal paste etc. i gave up my toshiba 1905 long ago..
for you I'd like to say, that i think, the problem is in the motherboard, you can still try
to change everything, I did, I even took apart all the laptop (2 hours) to remove the motherboard, to change the fan on the motherboard. tried also changing processors (worked
for a while.. pentium 4 - to pentium 4 mobile) then same stuff.

So in the long run I think your instrument is dead, if you dont want to pay million to buy
a new motherboard. Just my stomach feeling, maby im wrong

Alan Lynn Aug 01, 2008, 11:43am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Aug 01, 2008, 12:10pm EDT

I have a theory that the fan speed isn't being regulated properly anymore. When the processor gets hotter, I don't think the fan spins faster. If this is true, is there a fix or workaround I could use without having to replace anything expensive?

Also. is the A15-S129 supposed to report its fan speed? I installed the program SpeedFan and it didn't find any fan data.

Fred Kovach Jul 20, 2009, 01:28pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Toshiba Satellite A40-S161 Shutdown
I guess I am one of the blessed ones. Mine was not as hard as some of yours and required no specialized tools.

I have the Toshiba Satellite A40-S161 and it has a liquid cooled system from the factory.

I should say that I am a TV Broadcast Engineer with almost 30 years experience. Some people say that if I find something easy, that it is moderate to hard for the average person! ;)

To summarize, I took out seven screws and removed two covers and used some dust remover spray.

Here is the exact procedure:
Before proceding: Turn off the laptop and remove the battery. I know, incredibly obvious, but I just want to make sure...

1. Remove the two covers around the fan using a #0 phillips screwdriver. If the laptop is upside down with the back facing you, they would be to the left and below the fan. The two screws for the cover below the fan are actually on the back in the "plastic fins." The two screws for the other one are incredibly obvious.
2. Pop off the cover below the fan first as it covers the other panel slightly. Then pop off the other one. You will now be able to see the entire liquid cooling system.
3. Remove the three screws holding in the metal cover. Be careful, it is spring loaded and the screws may pop out and go inside the laptop case. (If this sounds like the voice of experience, well, yes it is!) :X Fortunately, I was able to extract the screw easily.
4. Do NOT remove the cover, the CPU, liquid cooling system!!!! The reason I had you do this is to allow you a little fudge room for the next step.
5. Lifting the plastic cover on the radiator, ever so gently move the radiator towards the back of the laptop. Do not force it. You only need to move it a little. You just need to get in there with a #0 straight screwdriver to "scoop" the dust bunnies out.
6. After you have scooped all the dust bunnies that you can, use dust remover spray to spray the radiator out in both directions.
7. Reverse the process to put it back together.

It is possible to just spray out the radiator from the back without taking anything apart. I suppose you could try that, but I would not consider that to be a permanent fix. Let's face it, that dust is going somewhere inside the case. Some of it will probably be sucked up by the fan right back into the radiator. With as much dust bunnies as I pulled out, I wouldn't want it to clog right back up again.

But some of you may not feel qualified to do this, and I respect that. If you have any amount of mechanical ability, you probably could do it!

In all, this took me about 30 minutes, start to finish.

audra elliott Aug 25, 2009, 06:15pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey,
Mine does the same. I looked it up and found that these laptops have an over heating issue espically with the cd thing. (thing= technical term ha!) so what I did was 1. took laptop apart, cleaned it very well, lots of dust in fans, 2. i leave the cd door open when i am using laptop to prevent overheating, 3. went to add/remove programs, deleted everything I don't use 4. ran disk scan and defrag.

This has helped a huge deal- good luck! please let me know how it turns out for everyone! p.s...sometimes it will shut off on facebook.

Colin Oscar Sep 28, 2009, 02:24pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Toshiba Satellite A200 Random Shutdown. Why??
I have an A200-1YO, 1.66ghz, upgraded to Windows 7 RC and 4Gb 667mhz PC 5300 RAM.
My problem started about a month ago when i was still running Vista Home Premium and 3Gb of Ram.
The machine just started switching itself off randomly. No warning, no error codes, no shutting down or logging off screen...just instant OFF.
At first i thought it was a virus so i scanned the hell out of the whole laptop with my Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 and found nothing. Sometimes it would be on for days then suddenly switch off. sometimes when i plug in my external hard drive or my IR remote receiver it will switch off and sometimes it won't. The most annoying one is when it switches off about 2-3 mins after switching it on and i have done absolutely nothing to it.
I have blanked the hd using DBan and installed Windows 7 and it worked fine for a week or so until it started happening again.
There seems to be no repeat action that causes it to switch off. I have read about the overheating ideas and although i have had the laptop for about 16 months the airflow out of the vent on the side seems to be the same as it always has been..I keep the laptop raised at the back to improve the air flow and it doesn't seem to be overheating.
I have run a program called RealTemp and everything seems to be running within acceptable parameters at between 74-79 centigrade and the max showing at 86 degrees.
The ram i have upgraded to and installed is the correct type for the machine as i used Kingston's ram check function as well as checking the Toshiba website, plus it has been a long time since i installed the first 2gb of ram upgrade and nothing happened then.
The laptop is out of warranty so it would cost me an arm and a leg to get it fixed or at least looked at by Toshiba.
Has anybody got any ideas or suggestions as to what the cause may be??
If more information is needed please state what details required.
Many thanks in advance.

Sarah Williams Dec 07, 2009, 09:45am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Toshiba Satellite Shutdown problem with AC powering
I have owned a Satellite A75 Toshiba for several years but have only recently started using it. I began using it three months ago and everything was fine until about two weeks ago, when i noticed it did not want to charge on AC power and kept switching to battery even though the cord was in. At first I could just unplug and replug the cord and AC power would "re-register" with the computer. Then it began switching to battery more quickly despite the cord plugged in, and now it won't even register that it is plugged it. I can unplug and replug, restart, etc. and it still works on battery, and doesn't seem to notice whether I unplug or plug the cord in. I have checked the connections on the power cord and tried different outlets- that does not seem to be the problem. Unfortunately, I know nothing about computers, but have not had any of these problems with my last gateway laptop, which ran great for five years! I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Fred Kovach Dec 07, 2009, 10:07am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sarah,

I think you have an entirely different problem than the others on this thread.

I had a very similar problem with my toshiba laptop. It turned out to be a bad connection inside my ac adaptor. However, it could be as simple as a bad AC cord (the cord that you plug into the wall and then into your ac adaptor) or the connector that comes from the AC Adaptor and plugs into your computer. However, you do not sound like someone who is qualified to troubleshoot this.

In my case, it was a difficult problem for me to fix and took the better part of a morning. The reason it was difficult was because I had to go inside the ac adaptor. This is NOT something that you should try. Keep in mind, I am a broadcast television engineer with almost 30 years experience. If it was difficult for me, I would hate to think how hard it would be for someone else.

My suggestion to you would be to take it to a reputable local dealer and see what they suggest. Or perhaps one of your Computer/IT dept guys at work can help you (if your place of employment has one).

Let me know if I can assist further.

Alex Savulescu Dec 07, 2009, 06:40pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,

I use RealTemp too, but mine is at 49-55 C, so I think you have a problem there - my CPU is T7150@1.8 GHz, so it should run at a higher temperature than yours.

Try to clean the vent properly. For me it worked, as now the fan is again working as it should, but I still have the unexpected shutdown problem in Vista.

Note: in Linux it runs for days without any problem (it never shuts down), so it MUST be a M$ software problem too.

Greg H Dec 13, 2009, 06:06pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 13, 2009, 06:14pm EST

>> PROBLEM FIXED (for me, anyway)
Hey all,

My girlfriend has a Toshiba Satellite laptop, model is M45. It started exhibiting the "overheating" problem after it was a couple years old. It got worse and worse over time.

I followed the instructions on pretty much every web site mentioning this problem, which is to clean the heat sink and/or clean and replace the thermal grease. No go - tried Arctic Silver - still no go. I installed an app to monitor the CPU temperature, and the laptop was shutting down way before the max temp was hit.

Through a tedious process, I suspected the internal wireless network card. I removed the card and have been using the wired ethernet port and the laptop has been powered on (or gone into standby after left for long enough) for several weeks now without one single problem. I have not fully shut down the laptop this entire time. Typically it would shut down several times a day. And to be specific, when I say "shut down" I mean it immediately shuts off, then reboots.

Now, I also took the laptop completely apart to the last piece and inspected every part and connection, but made no changes and I doubt this process fixed anything.

The wireless card on this model is accessed through a hatch on the bottom of the laptop requiring removal of a couple screws. The antenna wires go through the laptop and into the monitor and make a loop around the screen (just FYI).

If anybody tries removing the internal wiresless card and it fixes their problem, please post here and let everybody know!

Greg H Dec 13, 2009, 06:12pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 13, 2009, 06:18pm EST

Sarah, I had the same problem with my HP laptop, and it was the power cord socket on the laptop that had busted. I disassembled the laptop and resoldered the piece (solder joints had failed) and it worked for another year or so then the part completely broke, from repeated stress. My solution was to remove the socket from the motherboard and solder in a new cord that hangs out the laptop, and I put a connector on the end to mate with the AC adapter.

Ann Outlaw Dec 18, 2009, 03:36pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
How do you check and see if you are in Max performance mode?

Colin Oscar Dec 18, 2009, 04:42pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Just a quick note to say that i got my Toshiba A200-1YO fixed by a local shop. The guy wouldn't tell me what the problem was but he had installed Speedfan which leads me to believe it was an overheating issue.
He charged me £50.
I've now sold it (got £310 !!) and bought an Acer 5738G which is much better!
Good luck to all those with this problem.
And if you can get it fixed.. sell it as soon as possible!!

Alex Savulescu Jan 11, 2010, 12:44pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I believe I have found the problem: this unexpected shutdown is caused by the “Update for windows defender - KB915597 date: 07/01/2010”. Whenever I install this update, the computer shuts down unexpectedly. If I remove it (by restoring at the previous working point), the computer works again just fine.

For me this is it - I even tried it for 3 times - same results.

So keep a good restore point before updating your computer – and disable the “automatic update” option. I hope this works for you too (provided that you have vacuumed your computer and this wasn’t enough).

Philip Alter Jun 22, 2010, 11:46am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My Toshiba M45-S165 with sudden shutdown problems was replaced over a year ago. I dug the laptop out of the closet, reformatted the hard disk and loaded Linux on it. Guess what? No more sudden shutdowns. I never believed that is was an overheating problem as I replaced fans, heatsinks and also tried a chill pad.

I think you need look no further than Microsoft Windows to solve this problem.

Jon Bailey Jun 22, 2010, 03:38pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Philip, windows is more resource demanding then linux, the laptop was probably overheating before, because windows demands more from the hardware.

"The world is a temple to the self, and these days, there's alot of believers"

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.