Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1208 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 12 - 01:23am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Toshiba Satellite Shutdown 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>
Greg H Jun 22, 2010, 03:51pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Toshiba Satellite Shutdown
I doubt that, in my case the problem was *not* overheating, it was the wireless card. Could be bad hardware or a driver issue.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Alex Savulescu Jun 22, 2010, 05:29pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have had many other shutdowns since my last post, so I confirm it wasnít Windows Update in the end and Iím sorry for posting that. I agree with what Jon said about Windows and Linux Ė Philip, you donít have problems in Linux (yet!) because itís less demanding. But try to run Memtest on boot and youíll seeÖ

The good news is that I somewhat solved the problem eventually by cleaning the fan thoroughly and replacing the thermal adhesive of the CPU, graphic card and motherboard chipset (they were very dry). I also bought a new battery and now it works just fine Ė havenít had any problem ever since (2 months). I strongly recommend anyone to do the same and then, for testing the results, to use Memtest. Memtest is very demanding, so if you still have the problem, the system will crash (be patient and allow memtest to finish, it could take some 30min to 1 hour, depending on your system and how much RAM you have).

Jon Bailey Jun 22, 2010, 06:18pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jun 22, 2010, 06:24pm EDT

I have worked on 5 satellite laptops and the biggest help Ive found is to install core temp:
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

to monitor your temps, I generally find that statellites struggle around 55'c

also, make sure you prop the laptop up appropreatly, there is not enough space beneath a laptop for adequate airflow, the vents need more space.

these satellites can be powerful little machines, and they do not cool well - if the laptop overheats it can harden your thermal paste and cause damage

"The world is a temple to the self, and these days, there's alot of believers"
Alex Savulescu Jun 23, 2010, 03:53am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Knowing the CPU temperature can be useful, but I found that the problem is more complex than just CPU overheating. For instance, after cleaning the fan, the CPU temperature was 47C (way below its maximum of 100C), but I still got the crash. Unfortunately, thereís no (convenient) way to know the temperature of graphic card or motherboard chipset. Replacing the thermal paste of the 3 potential problems (CPU, graphic card and motherboard chipset) is very cheap and did solve the problem for me.

As Jon said, letís face it: Satellites are not the kind of laptops that one could use in bed. You need a steady surface (like a desk, table etc), otherwise youíll block the air flow and get only headaches and frustrations.

James Terranova Mar 09, 2011, 05:02pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 09, 2011, 05:04pm EST

Hello, I am having the same type of problem with my Toshiba Satellite L350 Series Notebook. It started a few months ago well just browsing online and other times it happens well playing my Star Trek Armada II game that I am happen to be modding and also creating a StarGate Armada Total Conversion for (in the Armada II Community I go by the user name jetnova16).

Well underneath my laptop the fan only starts to cool my system if I lift it up or lean the laptop up so air can get underneath. The side part of the fan venting area on my laptop has actually got some of the plastic broken off in two spots, I think they got weak from over heating because I moved my had there one day and felt heat there (not cool air) and my fingers grazed those spots and the plastic came off in two spots.

I almost feel it is a design flaw for the fan to be underneath the laptop especially if I have to hold it up to let it cool down since it actually makes it hard to do other things in the process like type or even play games.

My Laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L350 Series Notebook and has done the same exact unexplained shutdowns that the first poster has described and as the others are also having. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit Edition Service Pack 2 and it was pre-installed on the laptop when I ordered it in about early 2009, thus the laptop is only two years old, almost exactly that.

I would have to say that the problem is exactly due to overheating because when it happens I feel extream heat from the bottom of the laptop, right near the fan actually. There doesn't seem to be an access port to get to or even clean the fan on the Toshiba Satellite L350 Series Notebook and the fan does seem alittle dirty and in need of cleaning but to do this it appears the entire base has to be removed (I don't know how to do that or what other possible problems could occur as a result of having to expose everything).

I keep my laptop on all night and it never shuts down on its own when I am not doing anything and it is just sitting idle, even if it is hot. When ever this overheating shut down occurs, I just turn the computer back on especially if I was in the middle of doing something.

Ok, in closing this problem is getting me extreamly mad and I almost want to do something to the computer to stop it from doing this all the time, every day, and yes it happens daily especailly when Star Trek Armada II is involved. I would like to know what I can do about this problem and the costs of possible fixes.

Here are the fixes I have been thinking about trying:
1) Getting an Extended Life Battery (since my original battery always only lasts about 2 hours anyways), plus the added benefit of the thicker battery will raise the laptop up allowing for airflow underneath towards the fan. I would prefere a Toshiba Extended Life Battery made for the Satellite L350 Series, but I can't find any on their website but have found one here: http://www.pcwith.com/9cell-high-capacity-extendedlife-battery...5591.html.

2) Getting a Cooling Pad for the computer but I would prefere a Toshiba model made for the Satellite L350 Series. I also think the size of the computer should be the size of the cooling pad, my Toshiba Satellite L350 Series Notebook is 17", and I haven't found one that size but at 15" instead.

3) Possibly getting the computer repaired but I am out of my 1 Year Warrenty (stupid me to not extend that) but I only thought a 1 Year Warrenty would be fine, never expected something to go wrong after that except normal wear and tear and old age.

4) Getting a new computer. I really like this Toshiba Satellite L350 Series Notebook and it is a good replacement to my old (my first laptop) a Compaq Presario V5000 which had its screen go from no fault of my own, I like to blame my old boss for that because he made me leave my computer/school bookbag out on an unheated covered porch and the cold air got to it and like this one, it was an LCD Screen.:() Really right now, my budget is low that I can't even really purchase a new laptop anyways.

So does anyone have any advice on what to do about this problem?

Actually, at this site: http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2006/01/04/toshiba-lapto...erheating/ I have found that this text describes exactly what is happening to my laptop and it might explain many of the same problems. I have now found out that this is common to Toshiba Laptops. >:o

Alex Savulescu Mar 10, 2011, 03:31am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I see. In any case, for me it worked just fine, never had any problem afterwards, and I'm using it even today.

Alec Brockman Jun 05, 2011, 12:39pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm having the same problem with my Toshiba Satellite A505-S6958. When i play high-end games like Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and EVE Online, it will shut on unless i tinker with the power settings and lower the processor's maximum state to about 20%. I would be fine with this but lowering the processor state that low slows the computer, making the game lag like crazy. I know for a fact it's not an overheating problem, I've tried just holding it in the air and starting Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare on high performance mode, and of course, it shut off within the first minute or two. And after it shut off I felt near the fan and it was cold to the touch. I've tried so many things to fix it and i really don't want to send it in for repairs because that will cost a load of money and I wont have my computer for a week or two, maybe three.
Please, if anyone has a solution, I'm begging you, blurt it out please.

Thanks.

Eugene Jose Jul 16, 2011, 11:28pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 17, 2011, 11:59pm EDT

Greg-H . . . . . It's kind of late but may still be of use. Yes, removing the wifi card seemed to solve the problem. so far so good. Will let you know if the problem comes back. My laptop is satellite a200 pro. Thanks

Sorry guys.... did not work. Probably just got lucky then it started shutting down again. however disabling one cpu while on safemode worked. Still working up to now.

C P Sep 17, 2011, 07:25pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have the Toshiba shutdown problem, caused, I think, by a glitch on the hard drive that wiped out Toshiba Power Saver. Decided to reinstall Windows (which I wanted to do anyway), but the catch is the heat problem. The installation will only go up to 20% before the computer overheats and shuts down. The fan and heat sink are perfectly clean and I have taken off the back plate, even put an ice tray under it.

Any ideas for solving this overheating problem so I can reinstall?

john albrich Sep 17, 2011, 08:07pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 17, 2011, 08:12pm EDT

C P said:
I have the Toshiba shutdown problem, caused, I think, by a glitch on the hard drive that wiped out Toshiba Power Saver. Decided to reinstall Windows (which I wanted to do anyway), but the catch is the heat problem. The installation will only go up to 20% before the computer overheats and shuts down. The fan and heat sink are perfectly clean and I have taken off the back plate, even put an ice tray under it.

Any ideas for solving this overheating problem so I can reinstall?

Try booting up into BIOS Settings (usually invoked by a special key (like DEL) or key sequence during POST. See your manual.). Do NOT boot up to a CD or DVD.

See if there is a Health/Status section and see if it shows the CPU temp(s) and/or the fan(s) RPMs.

Nothing should overheat while you are just in BIOS Settings. Your CPU temp(s) should be reasonable (under 40C at the very most) and the fan(s) should be spinning at a reasonable speed...perhaps 700-1500RPMs (it varies from computer to computer at this point). Also, listen/feel for any air coming from the cooling vents.

IF there isn't an immediately identifiable problem (e.g. you ARE seeing reasonable temps and fan speeds), let it sit there on that menu page for at least an hour or until things begin to overheat. Do NOT leave the computer unattended.

If they aren't, the problem wasn't a "glitch" on the HDD. It's more fundamental...like heatsink paste failure, or fan failure, or connection failure, etc.

Let us know what you see.

C P Sep 17, 2011, 08:26pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thank you for the quick reply.

I'm sure there was a glitch on the drive because before the reinstall attempt, I turned the computer on and it went into chkdsk, repairing a few things. After Windows was up and running, the Toshiba Power Saver and the HWSetup utilities were missing. It would shut down periodically after that, just doing simple things. BTW, I have Ubuntu on another partition that I left on all last night and it never shut down, but did as soon as I tried to empty the Trash!

Windows is gone for now and I'm committed to the reinstallation. The fan starts up right away and as the installation gets to about 5%, it really revs up. Always seems to be blowing cool air even though the heatsink feels hot to the touch.

Anyway, I'm sure I can still get into BIOS and will try what you said. I will have to post results when the library opens tomorrow. Thanks again!

C P Sep 18, 2011, 12:27am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Minor miracle: Ubuntu wireless is working tonight.

My BIOS doesn't show any temperature or fan speeds. It stayed on for about two minutes from a cold startup (first time today) before shutting off.

Got into my Ubuntu OS and installed Psensor, which shows an average temperature around 80c. The lowest I saw was 65c idle, and high over 95c when busy. Psensor lists the critical temperature at 109c. (Don't know if these are core or what). Took three tries to get back to this page and post this.

john albrich Sep 19, 2011, 11:53am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 19, 2011, 12:01pm EDT

C P said:
Minor miracle: Ubuntu wireless is working tonight.
My BIOS doesn't show any temperature or fan speeds. It stayed on for about two minutes from a cold startup (first time today) before shutting off.

Got into my Ubuntu OS and installed Psensor, which shows an average temperature around 80c. The lowest I saw was 65c idle, and high over 95c when busy. Psensor lists the critical temperature at 109c. (Don't know if these are core or what). Took three tries to get back to this page and post this.

Question #1: Do you still have this problem?
Sorry about not getting back to you sooner. I was kind of hoping someone with an actual Toshiba Satellite might step in with their own experience.

Assuming it's still a problem:
Question #2: when you said "It stayed on for about two minutes from a cold startup (first time today) before shutting off" Do you mean that this happened while you were still sitting in the BIOS Setup menu when it shut off?
If the HDD is installed when that happens, remove the HDD and see if the "two minutes to shut off" behavior continues. If it continues (and you have all timing-related power management functions disabled) then it's clearly not an HDD problem.

Question #3: What EXACT CPU is installed in your Toshiba Satellite? This is vital when looking at temperatures. Brand, model, family, process, speed, etc. (if available use the advanced system info page in BIOS Settings. I would NOT rely just on the documented "specifications" that came with your computer as consumer documentation is notoriously out of date or can even be for a different version of the motherboard.)
This BIOS Settings advanced system info page may or may not be provided. Read your user manual AND look at the menu options at the bottom of the screen in the manual AND on the computer display. Sometimes this advanced option is NOT displayed on the computer screen. For example, the detailed system information screen on my computer is obtained by pressing F9 in the BIOS Settings main page, yet that option is described ONLY in the user manual and is NOT displayed as a primary choice on the computer display...it's hidden from the user.

Alternatively, you can also try using CPU-z or similar for Linux (e.g. cuda-z). Unfortunately, even CPU-z isn't 100% reliable in ID-ing a CPU. But it's one of the better tools. The CPU info might also be in /proc/cpuinfo and I've also read about a program claimed to be "CPU-z -like" called "As Ishw" although I have not tried that one myself.

I don't have a Toshiba Satellite but 65C CPU at idle seems very high. And, I'm unfamiliar with Psensor, but most CPUs (even Intels) prefer to not be run at "over 95C" temperatures. In addition, AFAIK there are only a few of which I'm aware that have a "critical temperature" spec'd at 100C or above. Please also keep in mind that 3rd party temperature reporting programs have a reputation of being terribly inaccurate (for various technical reasons). Reported temperatures have been known to be routinely "off" by 10C and as much as 20C. You can often find significant variation in reported temperatures between different temperature reporting programs. One might even use a completely different sensor from the other (e.g. "die" temp instead of "case" temperature), and the actual engineering spec is based on a specific type and location of sensor. That's one reason I was really hoping your BIOS Settings menu had a "health" page that reported the temps. The manufacturers generally know what they're doing in this area (but not always).

C P Sep 19, 2011, 10:50pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
1. Yes, still a problem.

2. Confirmed, the computer shut down while in BIOS. I pulled the HDD out and timed it at 1:30 min. (from a restart, not cold).

bothorth@Bothorth:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 15
model : 2
model name : Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 - M CPU 2.00GHz
stepping : 9
cpu MHz : 1200.000
cache size : 512 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe up pebs bts cid xtpr
bogomips : 2391.76
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 128
address sizes : 36 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
power management:

bothorth@Bothorth:~$ sudo lshw
[edited]
*-cpu
description: CPU
product: Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 - M CPU 2.00GHz
vendor: Intel Corp.
physical id: 4
bus info: cpu@0
version: 15.2.9
slot: uFC-PGA Socket
size: 1200MHz
capacity: 2GHz
width: 32 bits
clock: 100MHz
capabilities: fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe up pebs bts cid xtpr cpufreq
configuration: id=0

There is no health/status info on my BIOS screen. If it's hidden, it's not any of the function keys. Tried F1-F12.

Monitoring PSensor closely at least lets me keep the machine on. I start closing/cancelling when it reads 94C and it usually backs down. The last reading I get before shutdown is 98C.

john albrich Sep 20, 2011, 05:32am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 20, 2011, 05:40am EDT

From what I can see from the CPU specs, the critical temp of the Pentium Mobile M Serise CPU is Tj=100C (see below)

But, now that we know it gets hot and shuts down in the BIOS Settings menu in less than 2 minutes without the HDD installed, I think it's down to these 3 things:

1) Dust/dirt buildup in the CPU heatsink and cooling subsystem

2) CPU cooling fan(s) (Failing fan, fan impeded by dirt/dust, fan control failure)

3) CPU/Heatsink assembly failure (due to age, mechanical shock, bad repair/manufacture)
(hopefully it isn't this one as it can be a very risky procedure that can damage the CPU)

Since you say you can hear the fan, assuming it sounds normal/healthy, then item 2 is less likely to be the issue. Diagnostics would benefit from having RPM figures.

If your cleaning out the heatsink/vents with compressed air hasn't worked so far, then you probably have to disassemble the notebook to do a more thorough cleaning. They can become so clogged internally that externally applied compressed air just won't do the job. Do NOT spin the fan blades with compressed air...permanent damage to the fan may result.

If the in-depth cleaning doesn't take care of it. then you're probably faced with disassembling the heatsink from the CPU, cleaning it all off, applying new heatsink compound, and putting it all back together.

Disassembling/Re-assembling a notebook is sometimes not the easiest thing to do. Be patient, go slow. Understand there is a real risk of damaging something beyond easy (or inexpensive) repair. Follow appropriate power and ESD handling protocols.

You can find tips on cleaning laptops here on HWA and on the internet. You should even be able to find videos on taking the Satellite notebook apart and performing in-depth cleaning and/or dealing with the possible heatsink problem. Try using this search phrase
toshiba satellite notebook cpu heatsink repair
I found a number of what appear to be good guides on this topic. Here are some of them:

(Note: the http://www.laptoprepair101.com disassembly "manuals" appear to be identical to the irisvista.com "manuals")
toshiba satellite notebook cpu heatsink repair - Google Search

(detailed pics of clogged heatsink that external compressed air might not fix)
Laptop Repair Help Ľ Why my Toshiba laptop suddenly shuts down ...
"About 15-20% of all Toshiba laptops we get for repair, suffer from an ... If the CPU heatsink is not clogged with dust and lint completely, you can use canned air and ... Sometimes (for example Toshiba Satellite A70/A75) you have to open the ..."
http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2006/01/04/toshiba-lapto...erheating/

(lists by model number)
Disassemble, repair ... - Taking apart Toshiba laptops and notebooks.
"Toshiba Satellite 1905, How to remove and replace notebook memory. ... Toshiba Satellite A35, How to clean heat sink and CPU fans to fix overheating."
http://www.irisvista.com/tech/

(site homepage)
Taking apart Toshiba laptops and notebooks. DIY guides ...
"You can use these guides if you want to dismantle laptop, repair laptop ..."
http://www.irisvista.com/

Specification/Datasheet--Mobile Intel Pentium 4 Processor-M
http://download.intel.com/design/mobile/datashts/25068607.pdf
6. Thermal Specifications and Design Considerations
Table 38. Power Specifications for the Mobile Intel Pentium 4 Processor-M
(Tj=100C)
6.1.2 Thermal Monitor

C P Sep 22, 2011, 12:45am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My fan, vents and heatsink are as clean as a whistle. I blew a harddrive a few years ago due to a faulty fan, so I'm conscious of these things. The fan/sink now get a regular cleaning (soft toothbrush and air), and the fan gets an occasional drop of oil on the spindle. Runs like a top.

I got under the heatsink to the CPU and found a messy ring of pink putty. Cleaned it out with alcohol and applied new thermal paste. pSensor now reports an idle as low as 50c. Still, it's possible to cause a shutdown by opening a busy webpage, emptying the trash, etc.

What's weird is the air from the fan never feels warmer than room temperature, even with pSensor reports temperatures in the 90's and the RPMs are high. It used to blow air hot enough to warm a drink. Will try installing other sensors to get more information.

C P Sep 26, 2011, 01:33am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 28, 2011, 03:54am EDT

No luck. Only getting "temp1" (the one I've been using) and HDD temp (about 47C). No fan speeds available.

I have three hypotheses:

1) Is it possible the AC adapter is fried and feeding a bit too much current into the machine? I could test this by leaving the laptop on battery alone, but unfortunately my battery and its replacement are too weak and old to do anything but hold the computer on standby. It would shut down from low battery long before overheating.

2) Could the heatsink itself be damaged (copper unit)? I can't correlate the ridiculously high temperatures reported by psensor with the seemingly low temperatures of air coming from the fan. It's as if the heatsink isn't conducting all the way to the vent, even with fresh thermal compound. What's inside the heatsink pipe anyway? Solid or hollow?

3) Could the CPU temperature really be within operating specs (say ~40c), but the thermometer responsible for these extreme readings and shutdowns be damaged or miscalibrated, consistently reporting temperatures that are much too high?

Number 1) is a long shot, but easiest to test and fix; 2) would require a new heatsink from eBay or somewhere to try out; 3) is a long shot too, and seems impossible to test/fix, but correlates well with the air temperatures from the vent.

Bilen Trbovic Apr 28, 2012, 03:48pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hi! i have toshiba a500-1ee and my lap shuts down, like i pulled the battery or plugged off ac adapter from it! the light that shows that mine lap is connected to Ac, goes off and second laters goes back on and i can boot it again normaly.. its not overheating, the fan is clean(allready cleand it)it doesnt matter is laptop in windows, watching youtube or playing games. so enyone has encounter simmilar problems or have a solution, plz respond me coz my warranty just expired like 20 days ago!!! tnx
Ps: sorry if mine english isnt great

Alex Savulescu May 01, 2012, 03:41am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi, guys,

Cleaning the fan and changing the thermal glue don't really help - after a while I got the same problem.
I might be off-topic, but just so you know: I've changed the motherboard (with a new one) and never had any problems ever since. It costs around $100 on e-bay and worths till the last penny.

Cheers,

Laptop Willie May 29, 2012, 06:59pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Of what I've read, of the shut down problems, I've not read anyone who has said anything about the video chip as the major culprit. Other companies have had problems with the nVidia video chips causing many problems such as those listed here. Depending on the model, replacing the system board, or doing a reflow on the chip is the only answer. If replacing the board, one must be sure to get the second generation chip. Otherwise, the problem will happen again over time.

Laptop Willie
check out laptopwillie.com

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.