Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1749 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 17 - 04:26pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Toshiba Satellite Shutdown 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>
Mark Van Deventer Nov 28, 2004, 06:12pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Toshiba Satellite Shutdown
I called Toshiba about this problem and they denied it existed (wonder how they stay in business). I bought my Toshiba Satellite 1905-S303 from Circuit City with the extended warranty and have had it repaired twice for this problem - you would think that they would learn.

The main pain in the ass issue is that they want you re-set the system back with the system install discs. You can describe the symptoms until you want to scream but they insist on it. Well of course this does not solve the problem and you end up having to rebuild all of your aps, like I said pain it the ass.

Now it is happening for the 3rd time on the machines 2nd anniversary and I did not relish the thought of giving it back again - Thanks for identifying what I already suspected, maybe I should use a sawzall and just cut the damn thing in 1/2!

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Yiannis Spandonis Nov 29, 2004, 06:08am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,

Owner of a 2.5 year oldToshiba S1900-303(P4-2GHz)...no problems with shutdowns and CPU...the fan is set to maximum performance since i am running many CPU-intensive apps...I have tried using a vacuum...not sure if it has done anything...tempted to open the laptop and give it a good clean...anyway, does anybody know if Satellite supports S/W to monitor the CPU temperature?...

Regards,
Yiannis

Mark Van Deventer Nov 30, 2004, 07:05am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I bought the Torx 6 as part of a 20 piece set at Radio Shack. Their part number is 6402973 and it cost $14.99.

MvD

Chris Randall Dec 01, 2004, 11:37am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yiannis,

I don't see why a CPU monitoring app would cause any troubles with a Satellite. I would venture that as long as you have the requirements of the app you will be fine. Try demos if possible. I find it the best way to pick a good peice of software, much better than advertising or opinions. Good Luck!

t t Dec 01, 2004, 07:17pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I feel indept to post a response to this subject. Everything on the Toshiba Satellite was fine after purchase. There were no glitches, no sporadic shutdowns, and the notebook ran amazingly smooth. However, as time progressed, the scene darkened and the sound was no longer peaceful. The jet engine even hindered the speaker quality; I resorted to headphones. When the shutdowns began, I resorted to a notebook cooling pad; this was tentative relief. When the cooling pad became apart of the oven, I bought a large oscillating fan; this helped during cpu intensive work. All the while, I obviously knew the source of the problem was the fan. But being that this is my first notebook, I thought it to be safe not to disect it. I finally had enough. I surfed and fortunately came across 'hardware analysis'. Here's what I did:

1905 s301
Bought the Torx 6 screwdriver from Home Depot: 5 bucks.
Unscrewed the heatsink assess panel.
Unscrewed the corner* screws of the heatsink. Used a bit of force to yank the heatsink out of the cpu.
The dust amazed me: 1/3 inch wall between the fan and the heatsink.
I didn't use compressed air or themal compound. Instead, I did a good thorough cleaning w/ a hair dryer, a vacuum cleaner's hose (hair dryer and vacuum combined* worked great), cotton swaps, and microfiber cloth.

Tips w/ heatsink: use a tweezer to manuveur the atom size screws.

Good luck. By the way, I found out that this isn't just Toshiba's fault, it happens to all notebooks with time. BUT, the anger I've experienced is still warranted because they Neglected to inform ppl of this problem.

mohammad chinpardaz Dec 02, 2004, 03:57am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee Help me with my toshiba 1905 -s303
My problem is not like your problem.mine is when i turn my laptop on after 2-3 seconds it goes off but the light is on. lease my what can i do.
thanx

Yiannis Spandonis Dec 02, 2004, 04:05am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Mohammad,

Q: are you running it on batteries?...may be they are flat and you need to buy new ones!
Q: Does it happen when running with AC power?

Yiannis

Matthew Gronemeyer Dec 15, 2004, 02:58am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey guys, great info, I used a bunch of the tips you guys posted here to help a co-worker get his Toshiba Satellite 1905-S301 back up and running, I reinstalled the OS and removed the heat sink and cleaned it thouroughly and now it appears to be working again, thanks for the help.

Matt.

chip hall Dec 15, 2004, 10:27pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Music CD button
I have a model A75-S206 satellite laptop, and I am having trouble with the music buttons on the left side of the keyboard. It usually brings up windows media player but all of the sudden they stopped working. I tried to restart it, turned it off, and reset all defaults. If anyone knows anything about this I would appreciate any help. Thanks. Email: halln1@nku.edu

Tu Fop Dec 20, 2004, 12:29am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
This is regarding the Toshiba Satellite A70 and the Toshiba Satellite A75 model laptops only....It may apply to others but it is a reproducable problem and has been reproduced at will on these two models.

There is a serious design issue with the Toshiba A70 / A75 laptop notebooks that is responsible for random freezing and/or rebooting of the system.

After reading many posts on various forums and newsgroups throughout the web in which Toshiba A70 /A75 owners search for a reason to explain this seemingly random freezing and/or rebooting of the system, myself and several other computer technicians have discovered what is causing this. It is reproduced easily under the correct conditions. An A70 /A75 owner can do this themselves and can then contact Toshiba and demand a recall or compensation.

Turn on a Toshiba Satellite A70 S256 or A70 S259 models or the Satellite A75 models and let it boot up. Once windows has finished loading completely, stand up and walk around on a carpet for a minute or less. Touch either metal speaker cover but the left speaker cover is much more sensitive than the right. Now try and move your mouse or type on the keyboard. 7 out of 10 times the system will be froozen or it will reboot. When conditions are ripe for static electricity to build up, you will not even have to walk around on a carpet to generate static in your body. Just moving your hands from the touchpad to the keyboard is often sufficient to create the freeze or reboot. Sliding your finger over the case between the touchpad and the left speaker cover will also freeze and/or reboot the system under these conditions.

I have several of these models at my disposal and can readily reproduce this issue on every one. In an office setting in which a forced air heating system is present (this is the most common heating system for medium to large office buildings) the problem renders the laptop un-usable. Data is often lost and when a reliable running laptop with reliable running software is the difference between working and not working or getting paid or getting fired, this model Toshiba is a definite drain on your ability to get paid, not get fired and to work without constant freezing and reboots.

Those of you who live in a part of the world in which you do not experience cold temperatures and forced air heated buildings should be lucky enough to experience this design flaw very infrequently if at all. Static electricity is funny. Sometimes you can discharge it from your person my holding the desktop as you seat yourself in a chair but at other times it builds just by moving your fingers and hands as you type until you come in contact with something that will conduct it and the metal speaker covers on the A70 /A75 are just the sort of thing that can and does conduct static electricity to your laptop.

Static electricity is nothing new. There are standards manufactures adhere to in an effort to minimize the dissipation of static electricity through a laptop frame into the motherboard, memory and so on.

That's why hardware technicians (the good ones) always stand on a static pad that is grounded and wear a wrist strap that is grounded to a static pad under the laptop. Static discharge will damage memory, motherboard circuits and other wiring harness components.

IMHO the average consumer should not be expected to wear additional static disappating equipment or stand on static dissipation pad to engage in normal everyday use a laptop.

If you do not believe me check the various newsgroups and laptop forums on the Internet. Look for how many messages are posted in regards to the A70 / A75 Toshiba Satellite models freezing and/or rebooting randomly. Some owners of this laptop have been updating the BIOS, disabling tapping on the touchpad, setting the touchpad to the lowest sensitivity possible, turning off hyperthreading and more in an effort to resolve this issue.

If you own a Toshiba Satellite A70 or a Toshiba Satellite A75 laptop and you are experiencing random freezing and/or rebooting, please contact Toshiba and tell Toshiba you have discovered the source of your problem. These laptops have been designed in such a way that normal everyday static electricity levels in the user will cause the system to freeze and/or reboot when the left speaker is touched and sometimes when the right speaker is touched and sometimes when you move your hands from the touchpad to the keyboard and still at other times when you slide your finger over the frame between the touchpad and the speaker covers.

This is a serious and potentially damaging situation for the laptop. Do not delay. Try it yourself and then contact Toshiba if you can reproduce the issue and demand a recall.

sumit d Dec 23, 2004, 02:33pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks everyone for the useful tips of how to fix this heating problem with toshiba laptops. My laptop had give me a lot of grief with its frequent shutdown. It was pretty much useles except for 30 mintues of browsing and so on. And the problem wasnt as bad during the first year.
However, you need to be very careful when you take off the heat sink. In my case the heat sink and the chip all came off together and i also ended up bending one of the IC pins. However with considerable care i was able to staigthen the pin out and plug the chip back in. THere was a lot of dust on the heat sink. I just cleaned it with some canned air that i purchased from radio shack. The t6 torx screw driver is very hard to find. None of the big stores like home depot or radio shack had it. I found a small electronics store where i live that had the screw driver. I didnt bother about the thermal grease at all.
The results so far have been great. THe laptop has never shutdown no matter what kind of applications i run.
Thanks everyone,
Sumit.
PS: Never buy Toshiba!

Max Bai Dec 24, 2004, 09:36pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
After I cleaned the cooling vent, it's better. But still freezed occasionally.
Oftentimes it occurs suddenly when I touch it. After reading Tu Fop's message, I am convinced that it is caused by static electricity.
Two times when I was using the notebook, my colleague tapped my shoulder.
It raised a sound "pa" becaused of static electricity. Then the notebook freezed.

So there are two design flaws: cooling and static electricity proof.

Max Bai Dec 24, 2004, 09:39pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Now, I am unplug the speakers to see if it is better.

lori sklar Dec 31, 2004, 11:36am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
If you are experiencing a overheating and/or shutdown problem, can you tell me about your experience and the series/model number of your Toshiba. I am investigating this problem and need help in my investigation. Thanks.

Jordan P Dec 31, 2004, 01:35pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Toshiba Satellite Shutdown by CD-ROM
Hey Guys, check this out:

This problem has got progressively gotten worse. Whenever I attempt to load a program or use the DVD-CDRW Drive it just shuts down. I've just been using the programs that are on it (can't seem to load any more) and using it to surf the net.

Model # is Satellite 1905 It's a Pentium 4.

Could this be the same problem?

Abba Coo Jan 01, 2005, 01:49am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jan 01, 2005, 01:54am EST

Thanks for all the helps as to cleaning of the heatsink. I just did a clean-up of my Satellite 1900, but it brought me a more serious problem that I really need help with--now, the computer starts up with a black screen, although the fan starts running at the startup and there is a few clicks from the hard disk. Then everything appears quiet except the fan. I have to hold down the power button for a few seconds to shut down the computer.

As a matter of fact, when I pulled out the heatsink, the chip came off together with it. Before I reattached it, I checked that no pin seemed to be bended. I am not sure if something actually went wrong here. It is the same black screen when I connect the computer with an external monitor, and neither toggling with Fn+F5 helps.

Does anyone run into the same problem, or have any idea of the causes of the problem? Any possible leads would be appreciated...Thanks.

Abba Coo Jan 02, 2005, 01:18pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Never mind! It is just that I didn't push the chip completely back enough. Now it is working again.

Dallin Wood Jan 03, 2005, 09:48pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I got my air compressor and an air hose and gave it a good blow and now it works just perfect. I would just buy a can of compressed air or use an air compressor before I would take my heat sink off. less mess and it works great.

Katie B Jan 04, 2005, 01:14pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have the A75-S209. It is not yet three months old. For the last month I've had the static electricity problem, but it hasn't been as bad recently because it's been rainy out and I'm just hoping if it gets dry again I'll be able to put a humidifer in my room and that will fix it. At any rate, I don't feel like trying to deal with Best Buy or Toshiba on it, because the only solution I would accept would be a new computer (and not a Toshiba, either) and I am just very skeptical I'd get what I want.

Now I am also having overheat issues. I overheated it a few times when I first got it, but only with the fans totally blocked. Then it started getting more picky about just how clear the fans had to be (they could be 80% unobstructed and I could be doing nothing more CPU-intensive than typing a paper and it would still overheat). Now in the last two days it has overheated three times--once when I put it in my bag while it was still busy going into hibernate (almost understandable, but I do this ALL THE TIME and it has never happened before), once while it was sitting on a desk and I was reading a PDF (again, not exactly CPU intensive), and once while it was sitting on my desk doing absolutely nothing and I was asleep. The fan runs constantly (yes, it is on Max Performance cooling mode). I know other people have much worse problems with it, but it is still getting to be, I think, more than I should have to deal with.

I can't believe three months is enough time to accumulate that much dust in the heatsink, and if it is--I don't have time to take this thing to Best Buy to have it cleaned every three months, and I really cannot afford to void the warranty trying to clean it myself. I tried to vaccuum the fans on the bottom and the vents on the back and side. Nothing seemed to come out, although my vaccuum cleaner is pretty weak. Will compressed air do any better? Why is the fan running all the time--does this indicate the problem is with the heatsink? Are heatsink cleanings covered under warranty? (I just want to be able to walk in and tell them unambiguously what the problem is and what I want done--I have no intention of letting them screw around with stupid crap like restoring the machine to factory settings when I know full well it's not a software problem, etc.)

Chris Fairchild Jan 04, 2005, 11:46pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Toshiba Satellite Front Panel Buttons
Hello,
This seems to be the best place to ask a question on this bloody machine. Basicly the machine is a charm other then the few odd personality quirks it has seemed to devolope over the last two year. But the one that irritates me the worst is the front panel buttons. They sometimes work but yet other times don't. What gives with these buttons to think they can have a mind of their own and act like well humans...

Thank you,
Chris

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.