Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1315 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 14 - 01:17am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Toshiba Satellite Shutdown 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>
john morris Mar 02, 2005, 10:52pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Toshiba Satellite Shutdown
I purchased this laptop 9 months ago. Over the past few months the fan has been getting louder and the thermal shutdown more regular. It doesnt cause a problem if the laptop is not on charge. But the moment I use it and charge at the same time I get about 15 minutes before it goes off on me. I wait 5 minutes for the cool down , then start again.

That was until I read the postings here.

A 10 minute job has saved me many headaches. I took the srews out from the plate near the back air outlet, popped it off, took four screws in each corner (black screws) from the brackets underneath. The copper heat defuser then pops upwards with a bit of encouragement. Attached to this was a three inch long band of dust/fibres, this was half covering the front of the defuser. No wonder it kept overheating . A quick blow through and I just fitted it back.

Now the fan is quiet whilst it runs, the bottom of my laptop doesnt get hot near the back and I have just spent 2 hours using it WHILST on charge. Just happy I aint got to send it off to TOSHIBA....

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
relax zoolander Mar 05, 2005, 11:12pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
john:

what model is your laptop?
i dont think my satellite a75-s226 has the same access panel to the heat sink.

r|z

relax zoolander Mar 05, 2005, 11:15pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i hate forums that spam their own member posts with ad linked text.
lame...very lame.

r|z

thomas j Mar 18, 2005, 11:00pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i have an older satillite 1805-S253, but yes indeedy it suffers from this same affliction.i bought it used and at first it would stay lit for an hour if i was lucky! lately it had gotten to the brim of useless soooo (before finding this extremely useful thread) i desided to play doctor(i build custom pc's on the side) . after doing this i dont recomend it,it' resembles not, your basic tower pc. it'slate now but tomorrow A.M im goin to check out the dust situation(after i find one of those torx6 thingies) thanks to all posters as iv'e been looking for an answer for 6 months now.- thanks again- tommie j

Stuart Steedman Apr 01, 2005, 05:27am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks to all especially Fran Fernandez for his clear instructions.

I thought I was going to have to bin this Satellite A30 - now it is working as good as ever, and the fan isn't even on all the time like it was. My tuppence:

1) Problems finding a T6? Me too, so I used a 2mm flat headed precision screwdriver instead, which worked with no problem at all.

2) Yank out the heatsink/processor. Well, I got away with it, but yanking it back in? Ha ha! It turns out that there is a locking mechanism for the processor, which needs to be turned to unlock before "yanking" it out, and back to lock when replacing it... Luckily it didn't break when yanking it out.

3) Compressed air - you gotta be kidding. It didn't take much effort to peel off the thin layer of carpet that was attached to the back of the heat sink, totally blocking the airway...

Mauricio Lugo Apr 03, 2005, 11:22pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi everyone
First of all I am so happy that I have found this site and specifically this forum.
I've got a Toshiba Satellite A30 roughly 15 months ago. After 10 months of being used, my laptop started to shut down after running intensive process. Specially when I was running any CDV/DVD media my system crashes without any warning message. Other than intensive processes, the laptop can run for hours and hours...
Because at the time of having problems with my laptop was still under warranty, I send it for repairing. Toshiba Service Center's report stated that they had to change the motherboard?
The problem was solved but after 3 months the laptop started to have the same issue. Shutting down after intensive activity.

Of course because right now my laptop is out of warranty and not crazy to pay to having changed the motherboard again, I began to look for any other solution up.
Reading this forum, I found among to many posting with the same solution, I followed one of the first one posted by Erol.
I removed the little back cover of the cooling system, yanked out the heating sink and blew compresed air through the fan casing.
The hardest part was to find a T6 Torx. For anyone living in Canada, I found it in Canadian Tire store.

Apparently the issue has been solved. After almost four hours of intensive activity inclusive reproducing a CDV the system keeps up and running. The system is running connected directly to power supply and with battery with no problem.

I hope this will be a permanent solution. I am scared to buy other Toshiba Satellite.

Thank you

P Srinivasan Apr 11, 2005, 02:23pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a Toshiba 1905-S303 bought Dec 2002 and had the overheating problem 2 months ago just after 2yr extended warranty. Thanks to the advices on this board, I bought the Torx T6 from Home Depot, opened the CPU case and cleaned the heat sink. That improved it. I also have a BYTECC laptop cooling stand from Micro Center, which helped a bit, but now mainly serves as wedge-like base for better keyboard angle.

Two days ago, the laptop went dead suddenly. When I turn it on, I could see the power light on, hard disk light on briefly then no sound -- only the fan comes on after 10 seconds. I removed the battery, memory, HD, etc. in sequence -- no luck.

Last night, I tried turning it on while wiggling the speaker grills as if I am pulling them up. Suddenly it booted ok; so I backed up the entire hard disk. I am wondering if the speaker grounding problems reported for the later models (A65,A75) are in the 1905 series also.

This morning, same problem while booting it. Called local authorized center and was told about a 5-day turnaround. I tried gently pulling each speaker grill with the top lid closed; it came out easily. I see the speaker unit in black plastic connected by wires from below. There is a phillips screw on one side and a plastic tab on the other holding this speaker unit. Near the screw, there appears to be quarter inch wide flexible copper strip connected to the aluminum base on the laptop. I am wondering if this is the grounding mechanism.

Could anyone shed a light on how to properly ground this or fix the statis problem? With the speaker grills out, I still can not boot the computer right. Whatever I did yesterday to get it working, I cannot reproduce it now. Perhaps I should just give it the repair center technician.

Will appreciate any help.

Thanks
Srini

andrew kent Apr 12, 2005, 02:12pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello Satelite users, (this is an easy fix. It hasn't happened again)
Bought the Toshiba, because of their tremendous reputation in laptops. Was blown away when we had the thermal shutdowns. Also, the retailer started slashing the price on the Satelite A60. Went to Toshiba support site for our model. Toshiba knows there's a problem. They posted an updated bios the day before. Didn't fix it. Boy, was it ever hot. But, the shutdown seems intentional. To prevent any damage to the hardware. Tried the vacuum cleaner to the vent (heat sync) underneath. Reduced the frequency of shutdowns.
This fixed it. Made a tray for the laptop from a piece of plywood. Wider than a laptop for a mousepad. But, at the end away from you, the back; a strip of wood to elevate the back and allow air in. Also, cut a hole in the plywood under the heat sync and fan. I put another strip of wood across the back underneath. Its nice to have a little elevation on the keyboard and you only have to slope the monitor to see it.
Good Luck all. I was never any good at micro screws and angel hair wires. And I have been a tech in a computer shop.

Ken Lummer Apr 12, 2005, 02:27pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Cheap solution to elevating the notebook!
A quick and easy solution to elevate the notebook is to use 2 large door stoppers, cheap and works great!

Hitek146 Apr 12, 2005, 03:39pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 12, 2005, 03:40pm EDT

Where do I begin??? :) First, I must wonder why there are so many questions about problems with Toshiba laptops in this topic that have absolutely nothing to do with shutting down, when this topic is clearly lableled "Toshiba Satellite Shutdown"....

Anyhow, I am an ex-laptop engineer that now repairs laptops, and I can tell you all(as stated here before by others) that forced-air cooling eventually causes blocked cooling passages on all electronic equipment, not just "Toshiba" laptops. It can even happen after only a few months, if the fan runs alot and there is alot of dust and/or hair in the environment. Cleaning the collected debris from the heatsink should correct the problem, and should be considered occasional system maintenance by people that use their laptop in dusty environments. Other people that only use their laptops in dust and hair-free environments would likely never have these problems.

Disassembling and re-assembling a laptop is very easy, if you are good at surgery and can remember where every screw goes, or at least are good at labeling each screw type and location. If you are not good at surgery, then do not attempt to disassemble a laptop, have a friend with the proper skills do it for you.

I wouldn't expect Toshiba to go around telling everyone that their laptop isn't working because the heat sink is clogged, because many people would blame Toshiba(just because they already knew that dust can collect on heatsinks) and would improperly expect Toshiba to fix this for them for free, when Toshiba is not the one responsible for clogging up the heatsinks of their customers laptops. Any reputable community repair shop would clean your fan for you in about 30 minutes, and shouldn't charge more than about $50US for doing so. Any shop that charges more or tells you that you need a new motherboard should not be considered reputable.

As far as quality goes, I can tell you that Toshiba makes some of the best laptops that money can buy, but before anyone shakes an angry fist at Toshiba, make sure that you are actually using a REAL Toshiba laptop(identified on older models by their 15 Volt AC adapter) as opposed to a Toshiba labeled laptop that is actually made by Compal(identified by a 19 Volt AC adapter). Even Compal laptops are very good, and I still own and use my old 1905 Compal built Toshiba, but also enjoy even more my newer Toshiba built 5205-S119. Every manufacturer of laptops will create units that don't work properly on occasion, it is just the nature of the beast, and is a fact of life. A bad experience with a particular model can usually be resolved by simply getting a different model of the same brand, usually not necessitating a switch of brands and string of four-letter words. You can bet that any fault done by one manufacturer(such as not admitting a known problem) has also been done by every other manufacturer, too, so if you scream at one, scream at them all.....

Hitek

Ryan Concepcion Apr 12, 2005, 08:26pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My Toshiba Satellite has a similar problem, but even worse. The battery itself cannot charge anymore because of a malfunctioning of the ac adaptor connection. My dad says he can fix it if we can disassemble it. I've removed all the screws but am afraid to do anything else. I might crack or break the shell. Anyone mind helping me out on how to disassemple one correctly? Maybe with use of pictures or what not?

I know getting this repaired at a store would be very expensive, and I'm a starving student, so I'd rather have my dad try to fix it for free.

Thanks!

Hitek146 Apr 13, 2005, 04:50am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 13, 2005, 04:58am EDT

Ryan, you are probably missing the screws underneath the translucent plastic cover above the keyboard, which is released by a sliding a retaining rod that can be slid by inserting a thin object between the edge of the keyboard and the translucent panel above it, and moving the object sideways until the plastic piece releases. There are then more screws to remove underneath....

Hitek

EDIT: Be sure to read my warning in the post above about disassembling your laptop. You will have to completely remove the motherboard to repair the socket, so make sure that you remember exactly where everything goes. As a general rule, If you can't figure out how to get it apart, then you probably should not be taking the laptop apart in the first place.... :)

thomas j Apr 13, 2005, 12:24pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i took mine apart last month.ive never seen so many different kinds of screws in one item. there are many hidden ones as well. if you take your time and dont force anything, have a good memory, and can swear in more than one language.......you should be all set.

tommie j

Herman Snell Apr 16, 2005, 12:25pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
This does seem to be the support group for Toshiba laptop owners. Hello, my name is Herman, and I to have overheating Shut-Offs. I bought my “A75-S229 Satellite” 6 months ago (Oct. 2004) direct from Toshiba per their specs that month: 3.2GHz Mobile Intel Pentium 4, 448 MB RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 IGP, Windows XP Service Pack 2, BIOS V1.3, 9/10/2004, SMBIOS 2.31, Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-820S Multi-DVD Recorder (Driver 5.1.2535).

My overheating shutoffs occurs after I have been burning 2-3 DVD’s in a row, so it’s running hard for several hours. Although its still under warranty I am doubtful they can do anything to fix this, as these seem to be sensitive to overheating. It seems all one can do is take precautions to prevent the overheating. The hump on the bottom rear of the laptop, under the copper vent gets fiery hot to the touch when it shuts off.

After hearing forums suggesting I needed to update my BIOS or drivers, I went to the Toshiba support site, http://www.csd.toshiba.com and check on my computer as best I could find and determined there seem to be no updates for them. A Toshiba bulletin said if you had issues with your “Toshiba Power Management Utility” you should uninstall per their steps and then re-install. I uninstalled it, using only the XP power management, which didn’t make a difference. I later downloaded from there, and re-installed the “Toshiba Power Management Utility” and it seemed to help a little (set for Max performance). I then bought one of those coolpads for under your laptop with the fans to suck/blow divert your exhaust. When I get ready to burn a DVD, I align the coolpad under my laptop so that one of the sucking fans is right under the copper exhaust vent. Since I have done this, the under-copper-hump feels remarkable cool to the touch, and has not shut off since. It’s probably a good idea to get the dust from inside once a year or so, as you guys seem to suggest here.

Herman Snell Apr 16, 2005, 12:38pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
O wow, it would'nt let me use the bad word within the word......"Mats**ta DVD-RAM UJ-820S Multi-DVD Recorder (Driver 5.1.2535)" is "-M.-a.-t.-s.-h.-i.-t.-a.-" made by and the same as the Panasonic UJ-820S. Many people have suggested that this DVD recorder needs a firmware update, but doesnt seem to be available. I dont know that would help the overheating. http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=25677&start=0&po...3134b97f60

Hitek146 Apr 17, 2005, 07:29am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
It is interesting to note, that heat problems are generally more prevalent when a manufacturer is using the newest, fastest chip available at the time in a newly designed laptop, as if they have to get accustomed to the quirks of cooling the new chip. After designing the second or third different laptop model using the same processor, they seem to get things sorted out... :) Maybe it's not a good idea to buy a laptop with the newest variety processor, and instead buy a laptop that not the manufacturer's first attempt at using a given chip??? Anyhow, DVD and CD burners get very hot all on their own, without needing a nearby hot-running processor to help them get hot. Place that hot burner drive in the same small space with a CPU whose hieatsink may be slightly clogged, and things can get really hot, really fast. I don't know how updating firmware, drivers, or software is going to make your hardware run cooler, unless the new versions just change default settings to slow the devices down, making them run cooler. It it in this spirit that I will suggest to everyone having overheating problems to open your power management settings, and make sure that your processor is not always set to run at full speed. This makes your laptop's fan run much more often than normally needed, making dust and debris collect even faster. The more dust and debris that the heat-sink collects, the faster the fan has to spin to cool it, making dust collect exponentially faster again, until the heatsink is quickly clogged..... I have removed complete blockage from the heatsink of every forced-air cooled laptop that I have owned, which has been many, and every one ran faster and cooler after removing the standard build-up....

Hitek

Laura Hyland Apr 23, 2005, 03:38pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi there,
I've already posted this message in two other places on the site but I'm so happy that I've fixed my laptop, and I'm home alone and need to rejoice with someone over my victory!
Not being experienced with the innards of a laptop, I was pretty nervous that I'd mess it up, but thanks toall the people who posted such clear advice re. the fan cleaning. here I've managed to save myself at least £50 and a couple of weeks without my laptop, and I have also learned how to deal with the common problem of overheating.
I couldn't believe how straightforward a process it was. Its shocking that computer manufacturers scare you into thinking that to fix even the simplest of problems you need a degree in computer science. All they want is your money! When I went into the toshiba centre in London they refused to give me ANY advice whatsoever (despite the fact that I was willing to sign a letter saying I proceeded at my own risk) on the grounds that they are not authorised to give out 'special information' to unqualified computer technicians. Instead the salesman pressured me to bring in my machine and pay him a £50 consultation fee! Sites like this go a very long way towards disarming such 'scare tactics' and putting a stop to greedy salespeople ripping off punters. Although some have advised inexperienced users not to attempt this themselves, with all due respect, I would say go for it! This is a REALLY SIMPLE STRAIGHTFORWARD OPERATION. I am probably blissfully ignorant of the potential hazards, but to be honest I can't actually see what could possibly go wrong bar the obvious, i.e., mugs of coffee, etc.
Anyway, rants aside, here's what I did for anyone who may have the same problem..

1.Removed little cover on back using torc screwdriver
2. Unscrewed heatsink (not without some difficulty - some very stubbornly stuck screws).
3. Removed a WAD of dirt from behind the heatsink with great satisfaction
4.Cleaned off old thermal gel from HS and CPU gel using citrus based solvent and lint free cloth.
5. Cleaned off dust using a clean eye makeup brush (yes, very girly, I know, but its the perfect size...)
6. Reapplied new thermal gel using a piece of cardboard.
7. Put it all back in place.

Thermal gel, torc 6 screwdriver, cleaner and lintfree cloths all available from eBay and came to about £20 all together.

Well, thanks.

Laura

Diane H Apr 25, 2005, 11:23pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Help
I have had nothingbut troubles ever since i bought a laptop 2 years ago. My first laptop was a Hp it died within the first year. they sent it away and they couldnt fix the issue
Since i had warrenty they showed me this toshiba A70 .. said it was a great computer and exchanged it. Well now every time i try to transfer a movie to a dvd The computer completely shuts down. Its been happening even when im on line surfing the net.
Not only this But i also can barely hear the sound coming from the speakers. The volume level is utterly low... I have the settings set to full but still hardly any volume.
So between the shut downs and the volume It is starting to aggravate me.
Is it because its a toshiba? I cant believe they make computers like this.

Sam Thompson Apr 26, 2005, 01:35am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi all, i bought aToiba A70 oow laptop around 4 months ago, and last night i turned it off, realising i had to turn the machine back on, i pressed the power button, it glowed blue, the fans started. But before it got any futher ie. the bios screen, the fans turned off and all went quiet, the LED light stayed on and the screen remained blank. I held the power button for a few seconds to turn it off, and then on again, the same thing happened, after slapping the desk a bit (not wanting to wreck the LCD screen) i tried again, and again, and again... after what seemed about 40 times it flashed and turned on OMG yes! BUT... ...upon reaching the password screen, everything froze, the mouse, EVERYTHING! I yelled and turned it off. grr. after that it has not turned on. I went and talked to the supplier and they gave me the toshiba number, which i rang and they put me onto a group named Future, im seeing them this arvo. But after reading this forum im guessing it has something to do with the heat sync, and/or, static electricity.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance.

dalius caps May 02, 2005, 12:58pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I bought Toshiba A70 one month ago. Now I have a memory disk San Disk which when is pluged in to the notebook makes it restart. I also tried with a digital camera - the same thing. Oce I get to the removable media my notebook just restarts (prior showing some blue screen with white letters for half sec). My San Disk memory stick works fine on other computers with win98 and winXP.
One more thing: when I format the memory disk on the notebook it leave about 80 Mb free space only (memory stick has 256 mb). Formatting on other compauters works fine.
Anybody know why my Toshiba restarts when using removable media through USB2?

Dalius

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.