Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 2331 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 25 - 06:23am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Dead Toshiba satellite Pro 4600? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>
Mike Mendiola Jan 04, 2005, 12:51pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Dead Toshiba satellite Pro 4600?
I have the same problem as the rest of you. I have not taken my 4600 apart yet. I'd like to give the CMOS battery a try. Where is it located? Do I get to it from the top or bottom?

Thanks

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
John Roberts Jan 04, 2005, 05:07pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
under key board. lift off top trim panel. undo 2 screws raise keyboard........ its there.
Wait 1 hour before replacing cos it holds a capacitor charge on the board too

nbat58 Batel Jan 04, 2005, 05:35pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi!

The easy way to disconnect your CMOS battery is to open the top of your Laptop, the way to do that is as follows:

1) peel off the stip that is just above the keyboard, when I say peel off, I mean that the stip is just tacked in and you can remove it by placing a screw driver under the available little sqaure cit out on the left hand side of the strip. Lift the stip off gently but firmly (be careful not to scrach the top of it or the key board). When you have lifted a little of the stip, you no longer need the screw driver, just peel it off with your hand.

2) Once you have removed this stip, you'll see two little screws one at each end of the keyboard, undo these (philips screw drive is needed, which is a cross end screw driver).

3) once these two screws are removed you can lift up the keyboard (only from the end where you have removed the screws) and then after lifting, pull the keyboard a little away from you. The keyboard should become free now but be careful not to try and remove the keyboard totally as it is attached to the motherboard by a ribbon.

4) So what you do next is turn the keyboard towards you and lay it flat on top of the bottom half of the notebook (note that by now you can not see the keys on the keyboard as it should be upside down).

5) You will find the CMOS battery plug behind the keyboard ribbon (note: that the plug has got 2 cable attached, one black and one red). Remove the plug form the pin socket and leave it out for 15 minutes to make sure the CMOS has totally discharged.
If you find it difficult to unplug the CMOS plug, you will need to remove the keyboard ribbon tatally, to do that you need to lift up the ribbon plug (this will release the ribbon) then pull the ribbon out, the ribbon goes back in the same way, just make sure the ribbon plug is lifted prior to inserting the plug back, once the ribbon is back in, just push down the plug to hold it tight (make sure it's in afterwards by pulling at it gently, if it doesn't come off, it is properly in.

when you finish plug the CMOS back in and put the notebook back toghether in backward order. when you come to put the strip back in start from the reverse end of taking out ie: from the left hand side and push down firmly from left to right. Run your fingers along the strip making sure it's in place properly, if not push down the raised ends firmly.

Good luck with your repair, I hope you'll succeed. My notebook did go to F1 option (BIOS), but did not fully fix my problem, the reason for that is that I have discovered that I have a faulty hard drive. The hard drive is on it's way to Hitachi right now for replacement as this is still under warranty. I will post when I receive my hard drive back and let you know whther this has fully fixed my 4600.

Good luck to all whom try and repair their laptop, sometimes the break downs are so easy to repair and if the laptop is send for repair will cost an arm and a leg. With aging laptops it's always woth trying to repair it yourself as you probably would be able to buy a second hand one cheaper than the cost of repair.

Please post back if you succeed in repairing your notebook as a reference to others in the same situation.

Many thanks and regards.

Mike Mendiola Jan 05, 2005, 10:19am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well, CMOS reset did NOT do the trick. I followed your steps and actually left the jumper off over night. Put it back together this morning and I have the same problem. I did put a volt meter on the CMOS battery while I had it disconnected and it looked good.

Just to recap: Power on and floppy makes a little bump sound and thats it. The hard drive does not spin up and I can't get into bios setup.

I don't know what to do now...

Mike

Ross McFarland Jan 05, 2005, 10:32am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Seems a bit weird that so many people with the same Laptop can just have it die on them; I've not got much to add cause most people seem to have put in a fair amount of ideas.

Why not contact Toshiba and complain?

PS - If you're gonna throw out your Toshiba in a blind rage; mail it to me :P - hehe

Good luck with fixing this problem though; it seems very odd though; you should all contact Toshiba and complain; maybe they'd give you some good advice.

AMD Sempron 2200+ @ ~1.5Ghz
ASRock K7VT4A+
128Mb PNY GeForce 6600
SAMSUNG 256MB [PC-2100]
200Gb HDD Western Digital 7200
Stock Heatsink + Fan @ ~4000RPM
350W PSU
Mike Mendiola Jan 05, 2005, 10:42am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
It is more than a bit weird that there are so many identical problems with this model recently. There are other threads on other forums very similar to this with recent posts. Makes it seem like something is happening at this specific age of the product...

Ross McFarland Jan 05, 2005, 10:54am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
How old is the Toshiba Pro 4600?

I've never payed attention to laptops.

AMD Sempron 2200+ @ ~1.5Ghz
ASRock K7VT4A+
128Mb PNY GeForce 6600
SAMSUNG 256MB [PC-2100]
200Gb HDD Western Digital 7200
Stock Heatsink + Fan @ ~4000RPM
350W PSU
Carlos Moncayo Jan 05, 2005, 11:52am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Many Thanks to John Roberts!!!

I had the same problem and I tried everything, I also did the CMOS thing but I didn't realize the changes that I had to make in the Setup, I've just read the mail and I'm gonna try now!!!

Thank You very much again!!

For those people interested in confuse people about the solutions (telling them to go to toshiba "dealers" to buy another motherboard,paying a lot of money!! or sugesting people to give the laptop...), I want to tell them that for each one of them there are about 100, honest and redy to help when others need it. and If we keep telling every one there will be no place for them.

In this website I found the solution for the screen problem!! under the topic: "Display problem with Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600", and if you read that, toshiba also recognized and is paying now the money for the repair, or repairing it free of charge!!!!! so they know! and they are waiting if nobody complains to the courts they would never recognize!!

The website where you can find more information about the refund is:

http://www.LCDFLInverterAdmin.com

the deadline to file a claim is may 6 2005.

Mike Mendiola Jan 05, 2005, 01:21pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
FIXED!!! (FOR NOW)

I finally got it working.

I followed John's steps and initially it didn't fix the problem. I have two memory dimms in my laptop so with the CMOS battery jumper unplugged I kept messing with the memory configuration. Finally with a single dimm in slot B the bios came up. I plugged the jumber back in and it seems to reboot repeatedly fine now.
John, Exactly what power settings in the bios or otherwise did you set to prevent this from happening again?

Thanks

Ken LaDere Jan 06, 2005, 10:00am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Sattelite 4600 owners
Im noticing that these are having RAM slot issues much like the Sony Vaios and some specific models of compaq's.. If ite trying to POST but no Boot or video Try pulling the extra ram from slot 2 or swap ram and see if it fires. Were seeing this problem showing in both slots and it can be repaired fairly easily. If you need help just yell.. We offer free estimates and diagnostics on all laptops.

Ken LaDere
http://www.ikenfixit.com
231.758.0529 (message)
ken@ikenfixit.com
Bill Graff Jan 13, 2005, 08:36pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Gee... this sounds like a broken record. My own Satellite Pro 4600 decided to come in DOA as well. It started with just an intermittent no-boot condition where the power LED would come on, but no HDD lamp. I initially thought it was HDD going south so I replaced and upgraded with a new 60GB and a full 512MB ram. All seemed OK for about two weeks. Then the symptoms came back... I used to be able to jog it a bit with a rap on the right side KBD. or simply removing and slamming the battery home (which made me thing the HDD was culprit in the first place). It seems obvious this is a hardware issue perhaps complicated by a depleting CMOS battery. This is my 3rd Toshiba in a decade so I am not ready to throw in the towel on the brand, but I am p**sed I only got three years out of this unit. Tomorrow I will be going back to one of their "premier" service stations and hope they do not tell me the bum motherboard crap. Does anyone know if Toshiba has a service bulletin on this? It seems pretty suspicious that all of us in this forum see the same problem about the same time. Anyone from Toshiba lurking around which can enlighten us all and make us happy campers? And BTW - my FDD is dead too and has been for over 2 years, not like I missed it since everything went to CDs. Bill

Mike Mendiola Jan 14, 2005, 10:43am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
John Roberts guess to the problem on the previous page is I think the most accurate. Following his suggestion I was able to get my 4600 going again. After turning off all hibernation functionality it has been working very well ever since. I have not replaced the CMOS battery but am thinking about it just as preventative maintenance.

Like you I am a long time Toshiba user with a couple of old Tecras that are still solid as a rock. I depend on my laptop so when the 4600 crapped out I was so mad that it happened within months of the warranty expiring that I went out and bought a IBM Thinkpad T series. I am extremely happy with it. Seems like you have to spend a ton of money to get decent quality these days.

dario verrelli Jan 20, 2005, 01:45am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

my question is actually a software one, but i couldn't find the forum, so if you could direct me or answer both are aprecciated.
I just got a sattelite 4600 and it boots up 'invalid sytem disk, replace disk... ect' mind you there's no disk. Now my question is how can I reroute to a c:\ prompt so that I can format... this was given to me and I just want to start it from scratch. everything in it is standard default.. so that's windows 2000 blah blah...

Just want to know the quikest way to start fresh ;) would a boot disk work.. I've tried biso and switching boot sequences.. no avail

dario

peter dale Jan 22, 2005, 02:52pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yeah, your going to need a boot disk of some sort. A floppy startup disk or a Windows XP cd-rom. Assuming the bios is set to read from the floppy drive, insert the startup disk into the floppy drive and turn it on. It should get you to an A: prompt. Make sure you choose "cd-rom support" when it asks you. From there you can run format or fdisk and also start the installation process from the cd drive.

Koen Brughmans Jan 25, 2005, 06:01pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I had the same problem with my Toshiba satellite pro 4600, a standard machine with a memory expansion of 256MB, so both of the memory sockets where in use.......... everything was working fine,everybody happy. But one day he had "The" problem : " You press the power button, you hear the disk drive seek klik and thats it! No hard drive spin-up nothing .... :( " I did everything discussed in this forum, some of the things worked but not for long....... so I searched for a stable, good(and cheap) solution for my problem. After some investigation I found out (in my case) it is a memory socket connection error. If you open the memory coverage and you press on the both memory simms while pressing the power button it is starting "normal" I even found out it is time that is causing this problem. The memory sockets plastic expands and the dimms don't make contact anymore. You can fix this by placing some plastic(I took the plastic border of an intel cpu package) between the memory sockets, I made some pictures explaning it ........my laptop is working fine now .......... enjoy !
http://users.telenet.be/koen.brughmans1/satellitepro4600

It solves also a lot of blue screens and slow performance because not all of the memory is detected, see your OS memory configuration.

James Ho Jan 26, 2005, 05:37pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Anyone interested in getting involved in a class action lawsuit for breach of implied warranty of merchantability in a products liability case against Toshiba? It appears they were negligent in conducting testing and now they are not willing to pay for their mistake. This will probably be the only way we will get them to pay, maybe even replace all our laptops with new ones... I for one paid a lot of money for this satellite professional series, and did not meet my minimum requirements. Remeber that there is always strength in numbers...

drop me an e-mail @ toshibalawsuit@zenpoints.com

Also, it would help if we could tally up how many people have the same issues.

My main issue is: laptop may or may not boot due to the deficient power supply on the mobo.

Patrick Valade Feb 05, 2005, 02:18am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well, I'm another Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 user and about 3 weeks ago my notebook was having trouble booting. On every third or fourth boot attempt, the system would not turn on. Same symptoms as the ones described in previous posts. The power LED would come on, but nothing else.

I tried several suggestions from this forum but the suggestion from Koen Brughmans worked for me. The memory in my notebook is not seating properly. If I press down on the memory and turned the power on, it comes on every time. If I do not hold the memory down, the system returns to the power on, no activity state.

I've since added a couple of folded pieces of paper (from a plain business card) and placed them over the memory, near the top edge for maximum leverage, and replaced the access door. I'll probably do something more permanent once I can find some more appropriate materials.

Thanks to everyone in this forum... I still can't believe that I didn't have to spend any money to fix a dead system and I'm quite surprised at how silly this problem really is. Sad really.

Ken LaDere Feb 06, 2005, 05:39am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The pressure trick is a temporary fix to a permanent problem.. You should still have the slots resoldered as it can eventually render the RAM inop as well. These are an easy fix in comparison to a GRX series Vaio where the contacts are very tight. We can redo the slots for 129.00 plus return ship on the 4600's if you need help. 7 day turn around.

Ken LaDere
http://www.ikenfixit.com
231.758.0529 (message)
ken@ikenfixit.com
Nikolai minko Feb 23, 2005, 04:57pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Mindaugas Zakis Feb 23, 2005, 05:43pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hi,
finaly i know the answer to this alls**t...like i said i don't speak english good,but i will try to explain...

it's all about the MB...i took out my mb,put it on the desk and it has worked great,i put it back and it goes the same (not working) , so i was seeking for a problem all week and i found it.somewhere in the MB the trackways has cracked,,,and if you try at home you can see ,,,put the MB on the desk it will work,but try to put the finger under the left corner by the power jack or simply raise a little that corner and it won't work,,,i will try to give my PC to electrician but i don't think he will fix it,because MB has several layers and it's not easy to fix in home-conditions...so if you understand what i said,you can throw you PC out.it's broken forever,unless you have other reasons of non-working-PC :) , but i know that for me this is it....and for you....:)

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.