Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1625 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 11 - 02:00pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

toshiba 6100 wont turn on 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>
kazuya penrose Sep 29, 2004, 09:58pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: toshiba 6100 wont turn on
I had enough so i went to a service centre and told me the lights flashing basically told them that the Mobo was screwed and they said it would cost more than i bought it for to fix. so im just going to reover all the data onto dvd when i get the cash.

Kaz

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
erik schippers Oct 10, 2004, 11:43am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The videocard fix doesnt worked for me :(

Michael Mixer Oct 13, 2004, 02:20pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Oct 13, 2004, 02:21pm EDT

Hi guys

I support all the laptops for a large company who now get Dell D600

We changed due to this issue on the 6000 and 6100
If you turn the unit on and the
1) screen is scrambled / Green
2) DC LED flashes
3) Displays bad RTC Battery
Its the "power problem" and is a warranty repair for the life of the laptop, i have sent hundreds off beware as some have gone back more then once !
There is a faulty design between the PCB and board and it needs replacing plus modding via toshibas guide ( i havent this but my laptop repair center has )

Anyone in the UK and around the east / essex area look up Topaz Ltd in Reading http://www.topazsupport.co.uk

Vishal Charan Oct 14, 2004, 01:15am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Iam having problem with my Toshiba 6100. there is no display on the screen and the power and the Cd rom light in front is stready lit green. there is no hard disk activity and also no hard disk light available.
I removed the harddisk and installed in the other laptop and works fine.

help please

Kasango JS Oct 14, 2004, 03:23am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: toshiba 6100 wont turn on So I Switch to Dell!
Mr. Mixer, Although I fixed my problem as explained by me somewhere up the thread, I am about to do like you did, switch to D600. Please tell me the pros and cons of the D600.

Michael Mixer Oct 18, 2004, 02:18am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Im really happy with the Dell system and have had around 100 units in since the change with no problems

Good spec to for what the company pays P4m 1600, 256mb,40gb IR, bluetooth, and password card support above the card slot
Not problems but observations are the dvd\cr rw and the floppy are hot swap but there is a USB cable to run both, The ir port needs turning on in the bois
There are two power packs, the dock one gives off more power and will not power the laptop
Ive had users take the wrong power supply with them, they are a different size but not alot bigger

Michael Mixer Oct 22, 2004, 04:11am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Update

The Dells have a unofficial fault, not yet announced
Bluetooth module is on the front of the motherboard and can brake easy right under you left hand when typing - if this happens it wont be present on the hardware list

Mark Hannaford Oct 30, 2004, 12:47pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello, I am new to this site but I hope my experience with the 6100 may be of interest.
My 6100 had similar symptoms, in that it was unable to power up with the battery and only very occasionally started with the AC adaptor only. The RTC was also not functioning correctly. Initially I thought it was the Power Supply Charger Board but before I purchased one (at great expense) I decided to have a closer look. Using a 30X magnification Stereoscope (Microscope) I inspected the System-board and
found that the Power/ Charger socket on this board had almost all of its solder contacts cracked. This had previously not been visible using the naked eye. These cracked solder joints looked fine until the particular socket leg was prodded using a needle or similar small implement. It seems to me that this model has a design flaw with possible board flexing in this area. I wouldn't be surprised if this has happened to other units. The socket in question is tiny with numerous connections, the technique I used to re-solder these is to run a fine tip soldering iron along one side at a time, applying fresh solder this joins all the legs together but after this use a good quality solder wick and remove the excess. This has to be done using the Stereoscope, Its impossible to inspect these connections without it. I am aware that the actual repair may not be possible for some but I am sure System boards have been replaced in the past when all that was required was this fix.

Jeremy Thompson Nov 13, 2004, 12:46pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Re-seating the video card (as described by Tor-Espen Austheim earlier in this thread) worked for me. Thanks!!!
The video card has 3 mounting points, and only one of these is near the main board connector. When given some mechanical shock, it seems that the connector can slip out at one side. Looks like a design fault...

Wojtek Gladala Nov 20, 2004, 09:33am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have the same problem with my Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100 :-/
Tor-Espen Austheim, have you already posted the pictures of fixing toshiba laptop?

Greetings,
Wojtek

Steve Connelly Nov 23, 2004, 10:48am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,

Anyone help here. Did all the things listed in the previos posts but like an as* I fogot to check where all the wires from the lid came from. I have 1 spare and I cannot see where it goes.

It is a brown wire with a connect head the same as the ones used for the speaker L & R. It runs through a channel which ends up just below the fan on the system at the top left. BUT I cannot see a connect for it to attach to.

Anyone help me as to where this wire goes???

Jeremy Thompson Nov 23, 2004, 11:07am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I think that brown wire goes to a small board underneath the computer (remember the cover with the star screw?). I did not have a star tool of the correct size, so made a "forcing tool" with a flat-bladed screwdriver. I cut a thin notch in the blade of the screwdriver to bypass the spigot at the centre of the star screw.

By the way, my symptoms for this fault were:
1. Computer did not power on.
2. Amber LED flashed in a cycle of 8 flashes, with a longer flash on No.2 and No.8.

I hope that helps!

Wojtek Gladala Nov 25, 2004, 04:30am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I`ve fixed it :) It was really the video card. Thanks for help!

robert mcinally Dec 06, 2004, 07:43pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
what about the satellite 1410/2410 i have the same problem

Michael Mixer Dec 12, 2004, 01:34pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 12, 2004, 03:42pm EST

I have just taken my personal 6000 apart which now keeps doing this

Here you go, i have discovered that its 4 pins (out of 80) on the top right of the mobo connector
However i under estimated how small we where talking and theres no way i can solder that fine ! :(

Pics will be here shortly
http://public.fotki.com/m1xxy/other/pc__computer_stuff/toshiba_6xxxx/

JIM KENNEDY Dec 18, 2004, 12:23pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sorry - I don't know how to use this forum. I have a problem with the communications switch on a 6100. The communications led light does not burn.I have Bluetooth but not WIFI. Do I need WIFI? Bluetooth manerger says device not ready.

Patrick Newman Jan 18, 2005, 03:35am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Toshiba SP-6000
Startup problems for me to...

Aren't sure that it's the same problem we're talking about so I'll post my problem.

Sometimes it doesn't start at all. The power led lights up but the screen ain't showing anything but black.
Neither harddrive or DVD works. With DVD I mean that it won't come out when I push the "open"-button.

Somtimes... it actually starts. Then it crashes after like 20 min. When it crashes the screen lookes like scrambled eggs freezes. When this happends the harddisk led goes off. Haven't noticed if it crashes because I do anything with the computer.(probably)

Hope you can help me.

// Patrick

PC Fixer Jan 24, 2005, 02:37am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi everyone,
I too had the same problem with a 6100 and after following the 80 pin connector soldering procedure, everything is back to normal and working perfectly! A point to note though is that indeed the repair procedure is not for your average person at home. This required a stereoscope and a very fine tipped soldering iron and in addition a little bit of flux (a clear liquid chemical that makes solder flow well). Fortunately, I have a lot of experience with this type of work and own the equipment needed. I would have to say that at least 10-20 of the pins had come away from the main board on mine. I also examined the removable video card connector and found that most all of the ground pins on this huge connector had also come loose. I would offer to do this repair for others who have the same situation, but I am afraid that I would be flooded with notebooks! I suspect that I would also have to charge a couple hundred dollars as well since this is a tedious task to say the least.
I am surprised that Toshiba has not been served with a class action on this huge design error! Perhaps I can at least start that ball rolling for everyone! I'll post any results on this issue as I find out about it and the chances for a successful suit. Toshiba should at least stand behind this expensive notebook/mistake but they don't since they don't have to! They will, only after they are forced to as I have seen so many times before. I started the Fujitsu class action on their bad desktop IDE hard drives which was settled a few months ago. It is unfortunate that we as consumers have to go to such great lengths to either repair our own equipment or force the ones who made the mistake in the first place to stand up and take responsibility. The next big head to fall will be Maxtor when they are served with a class action for their very bad 6E0X0L0 line of drives which fail with no warning. Any big company hopes that the warranty ends and nobody says a word until it is too late to take action. Well, I hope I can start what these big boys deserve! The same headache we have had to deal with except that this will hit them right in the wallet! Maybe next time, they will think twice!

Bye for now....

Jeremy Thompson Jan 24, 2005, 05:13am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yes, I agree we should consider action against manufacturers who do not design their equipment properly. Some compensation for all that time lost fixing their faults would be handy, but perhaps an impossible dream!
One other problem I noticed with the Tosh 6100: it seems to "eat" hard disk drives. I have replaced 2 in my laptop within 2 years. The offending model is a 40 GB drive, model MK4025GAS. When it fails, the BIOS asks you for a HDD password (which you don't have), and leading up to this point, the HDD starts to have trouble finding sectors and becomes very noisy.
Has anyone experienced this problem too?

Josť Marcelo Miranda Jan 25, 2005, 06:59am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I want to thank to Tor-Espen Austheim and his tip.
My notebook has the same problem and I following pass-by-pass and I FIX IT.
I living in Brazil and certainly here, I save some hundred of dollars.

tks Tor

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.