Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1148 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 10:00am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

toshiba 6100 wont turn on 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>
Josh Breslow Feb 03, 2005, 11:48am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: toshiba 6100 wont turn on
Tor, thank you so much for posting the instructions. They worked like a charm and my Toshiba 6100 is up and running again. Very easy to fix!!!!

Thanks again,

Josh

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
carlos f s Feb 09, 2005, 10:41am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi, I had also the same problem with my satellite pro 6100. It was unused for half a year and
I was even thinking to sell it by parts. But I have followed the instructions to put the video card
in place and it worked also for me!!!!! :-)

Thank you very much to all of you that suggested that fix. It seems that it has worked for many
other people that had the same problem, which means that there must be something wrong with
the design of the computer. This, I think , speaks very badly of Toshiba. I have to say that
my experience with them was very unpleasant. I bought my laptop in the UK and it already broke
there, but I was under warranty, so no problem. But then, I moved to the US and it stop working
again, so I called them and they told me that since it was a UK laptop they will have difficulties
in fixing it and that I should contact some companies that deal with foreign laptops: I thought
Toshiba was an international company... Anyway, my recommendation to anyone considering
buying a laptop is: First, DO NOT but a Toshiba laptop, and second, before buying one, check
in these maravelous mailing list whether the model you want to buy has been reported to have
problems.

craig smith Feb 23, 2005, 04:10pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Guys,

There are 2 common problems with this model laptop..

1) The VGA PCB lifts away from the system pcb, removing the Keyboard and pushing it back down is a temporary fix, however there is an official modification which involves adding a VGA bracket to stop this lifting again.

2)There were quality issues during manufacture, if the above doesn't cure your problem the system pcb and psu pcb must be replaced AS A PAIR.

Hope this helps

Griddy (Toshiba authorised repairer)

Fat Bass Turd Feb 23, 2005, 06:08pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey Griddy,

Do you have a part number for the VGA bracket?

Thanks,
Donovan

Douglas Weittenhiller Feb 24, 2005, 10:58am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
In regards to Griddy, I understand you need to replace both the Power Supply Unit and the Power Control Board. A previous poster has the PCB here:

http://public.fotki.com/m1xxy/other/my_stuff/pc__computer_stuf..._0405.html

But what is the PSU on the SP6100?

Also, I have begun the repair job as explained in this thread. I have gathered up as much information as I could find and will post a detailed report including pictures of my findings. Two things I know now:

1) Toshiba's outsourced support (in India) does not acknowledge the design flaw. However, a company in the UK did indicate that there was a design flaw and that it is warrantied for the life of the laptop. I am checking on that.

http://www.topazsupport.co.uk

2) My motherboard seems to be a revision, The 80-pin connector on the motherboard has a bead of glue sealing the connectors. The glue also exists on the video card. Also included on this particular SP6100 was the video board lock.

Douglas Weittenhiller

Martin Lawton Mar 26, 2005, 08:03am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have had this problem too!

If you get this problem, or get a sudden "lock-up," sometimes followed by a "BAD RTC" battery message when you try to re-boot...

If sometimes removing the battery will allow a "frozen" machine to restart..

If sometimes "banging" it on the desk will allow it to reboot!!!...

There is a connection on the motherboard on many of these machines which is similar to the "flat ribbon cable" type plug, except it joins another PCB directly.

This connection commonly fails and requires resoldering to fix it!
Mine has been repaired & now works fine!

It isn't a particularly easy job to do either... apparently some later machines used a flat ribbon cable for this connection... but you can't fit this to an earlier machine without changing the motherboard and/or the other PCB..

Regards
Martin

Chris M Apr 11, 2005, 08:03am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey there fellow 6100 users.

Everything from the PSU, to the mouse dot, to the motherboard (replaced twice) to the CMOS battery to the DVD drive has died in my laptop over the last 3 years! And some of you are pointing out that the 6100's "eat hard though drives". What a lemon of a laptop.

Anyway, now it's out of warrentee, it's just pulled it's latest stunt where by it would boot up and happily sit idle for half an hour and not crash, but as soon as I fire up an application it would freeze and fill the screen up with a green and blue scrambled image. Shortly afterwards, it would display a screen full of flashing text (Chr 219) blocks DOS ASCii style, display more random horizontal lines and Windows would reboot using this garbled mode!! You could see where the little loading bar was loading and everything. Then the machine would switch graphics mode, recover (for about 30 seconds) then freeze as soon as any load is put on the CPU. It would also periodically power down where the battery flashing LED would flash Six short flashes and two long flashes.

So I tried the recommended "pull out the video card and put it back in" trick (thankyou) - and it seemed to half-fix the laptop. I must point out that I carried out the operation in a mates electronics workshop on an antistatic matt, earthing myself too.

Definition of "half-fix" : Now the machine boots, and works fine as long as I don't run any intensive applications - especially ones that utalise the 3D GPU. It will still hang if I run too much at once, especially 3D demos and the like, and then, once it's crashed it doesn't boot back up for long unless I leave it to cool down.

Some observations (which may or may not be relivant):

> Before I did the fix... it seemed system stability lasted longer when using only one 256MB RAM module(instead of 2 chips to make 512MB). These chips get very hot.

> The machine seems to crash on boot OR just after it's booted IF the machine is still "cooling down" from a major crash. The "inital" crash doesn't occur imediatly as it did before the fix, but once the laptop has frozen once, it will almost certainly freeze on boot or soon after. Leave the unit for half an hour, and it's fine to go again.

> The machine crashes when I make intensive use of the video card's 3D GPU and CPU together = more heat generated.

> After the fix, the machine doesn't crash (or hasn't yet) in battery mode in super-power saving mode.

Now looking inside the laptop:
--------------------------------------------

> There is only passive cooling around the area of the laptop memory. No fans as such...

> The memory is in the vacinity of the so called video card*
* I think it's more of an I/O interfact daughter card as it also houses keyboard and mouse connectors.

> There is a massive blob of glue looking substance around the "video card" slot, maybe to hold the connector in place?

I don't know if anyone agrees with me, but this leads to me thinking, that in the case of my problems, the crashing has something to do with how hot the machine is running. Maybe the pins on the "video card" heat up and warp under extreme conditions, and once the've come addrift...

Maybe I need to pull the machine appart again, apply some "go contact" to the pins of the module and slot it back in. I don't know if it's a PCB microfracture-style problem or a problem with the actual contacts on the board. My old IBM thinkpad died to microfractures in the mainboards (I think) and was fixed by wedging a gaffer taped wrapped tissue under the motherboard.

Bottom line:

The laptop is working so I can backup my data and Word Process in power save mode. The machine still crashes and does crazy visual things if I run intensive applications, and sometimes hangs on boot. But the recommended fix has helped bring some of the life back to the machine.

paul rosenwald Apr 24, 2005, 08:26am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Satellite Pro 6100--the hot zone
UPDATE 4/7/2005: Toshiba has broken off communication with us due to pending litigation. They have also taken the rather comical step of blocking email from my lsuhsc.edu account due to the number of squeakywheel emails they were receiving.

If this is Toshiba's idea of customer service I don't see how they can remain a viable option for institutional laptop purchasers.

107 6100s
50+% failure of hard drives
50+% failure of AC adapters
80+% have had one major component replaced
40+% have had at least 3 major replacements

I'm support for medical students and have been alerting Toshiba to these patterns and trying to get help out of them for over a year now. Luckily we got the 4-year warranty so Toshiba is footing the bill, but the failure rate is so catastrophic that many of my 6100 owning sophomores are using spare computers from other classes. My repair facility operates like a shipping/receiving dept on the basis of this one model laptop alone.

Toshiba's response has ranged from denial ("we know of no problems") to total disregard ("it's under warranty, send it in") to ineptitude (a customer service 1-800# with the recording "our agents no longer service this line") to a baffling hide-and-seek game in which they want to make a "deal" (astonishingly they want more $$$ from my students for another model), yet do not return phone calls or answer questions.

We purchase nearly $200K worth of computers every year and through 5 other models we were pleased with, and recommended, Toshiba. As bad as the hardware failure itself has been, finding out how little they value their loyal customers is even more disappointing.

Doug Mad May 05, 2005, 12:16am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Glad to have found this site and this link. I have 2 Satellite Pro 6000 units sitting here with the same problem. Both have the red light flashing 8 times. I was looking for a guide to this trouble code when I found this forum. I am going to try the video card first and go from there. I have a spare motherboard and sound card, but might be selling them soon, along with both laptops if I can make them work. Might as well have one good unit then two problematic. Would be nice to see lawsuit.

paul rosenwald May 07, 2005, 03:03pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Unfortunately, after setling the $2.1 billion US Funds(no mistake) Toshiba just does not care anymore.
The other people with problems and complainys just let me know that a new class action lawsuit has already been filed. You van, however, latch onto the new one that is accepting signatures(consumeraffairs.com)
Good luck to all.

lori sklar May 09, 2005, 08:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: toshiba 6100 overheating
I am currently investigating the Toshiba 6100 overheating and/or random shutdown. Feel free to email me about these problems at http://www.lorisklar.com/toshad.htm.

anthony cris Jun 21, 2005, 10:14pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi I have same problem but my laptop light 1 & 3 are green steady but laptop wont turn on from the power switch.
if i take battery out then unplug laptop from ac outlet wait a minute then it will boot this is the worst laptop ive ever owned and reading these post this is the last tashiba ill ever own T.Y anthonycris

tot tulbul Jul 02, 2005, 06:24pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jul 02, 2005, 06:27pm EDT

hi everybody,there are some good news for you who live in UK.you have to call this number 0870 4448936
,its a toshiba technical assistance number.tell them about your problem with toshiba satelite pro 6100,and they will arange DHL pick up from you.after a week the laptop will be returned and it will be like new.no questions about waranty or whatsoever.just ring them and don'r forget to tell them THAT IT'S ABOUT SATELITE PRO 6100.
yes i tryed this way and now the laptop is like new.even there was cracked XP copy and they reinstaled it with good one and all drivers.and everything free.YES FREE.but we talking ONLY about satelite pro 6100 and only in UK.
that's it.

Anthony Will Jul 19, 2005, 04:58pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Symptom: blinking amber power light.
Resolution: reseated video card
Securing video card by tighting the screws did not help. I had to remove it and reinsert it. Then it worked.

paul rosenwald Jul 20, 2005, 09:19am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: toshiba 6100 wont turn on - Wait til something else comes up..chnces are it will..unfortunately
It has been 6 months
Toshiba denies any responsibility
It is clear that they are counting on me ( and all other ones who were duped ) to give up
It is ONLY up to each and every one of us to spread the word: STAY AWAY FROM TOSHIBA

Surpher805 Jul 20, 2005, 11:24am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
what attracted you guys to this model anyway, Toshiba has many other models that most people have little if any problems with.

Athlon T-bird 1.4Ghz @1.56Ghz with no additional cooling
MSI K7T Turbo LE W/ Raid
1GB PC133 RAM
Nvidia Geforce4 Ti 4200 128MB
Sound Blaster Live! MP3+
TDK 32X10X40 CD Burner + DVDROM Drive
LIAN LI Aluminum Case
300W Power supply
WD 80GB,60GB,20GB,
tot tulbul Jul 20, 2005, 02:12pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jul 20, 2005, 05:18pm EDT

i was thinking that my post earlier will put some smilles on some faces here,but it seams that nobody took it seriously.the fact is if you live in UK toshiba will repair it for FREE.it doesn't matter if it's out of waranty.mine was out of .that's what i call a good news. on the receipt they gave me after was stated DRY JOINTS.

Michael G Jul 20, 2005, 02:46pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jul 20, 2005, 10:16pm EDT

Hi all,

I'm glad I've found this forum. I've owned a Satellite Pro since April 2002 and I didn't have any problems with it until around December 2004. The hard drive performance declined steadliy over about a month. SMART temperature reading indicated that the hard drive temp was at 61 degrees C. That's hot. Hard drive died, I had to replace it. Now around May 2005, the unit is spontaneously powering off, with a flashing power led. Taking out the battery and AC adapter will reset the machine, and the system will sometimes work for hours, sometimes it shuts off in a space of a few minutes. Very weird. The laptop is always used on level surface, (desk, table, etc) but it is moved around alittle but not every day. I don't get the RTC errors or strange output on the screen--yet.

Are these symptoms of the video card problem or the system board/power PCB problem?

I've called Toshiba support in the past, and they've refused to provide telephone support because the unit was out of warranty, however, when I called last week, a tech was on the phone with me for about 15 minutes and she made no mention that she could not provide me telephone support (only no warranty service).

Thanks,
Mike

Doug Mad Jul 21, 2005, 08:46pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jul 21, 2005, 08:51pm EDT

"what attracted you guys to this model anyway, Toshiba has many other models that most people have little if any problems with."

Athlon Thunderbird 1.4Ghz @1.52Ghz
MSI K7T Turbo LE W/ Raid
1GB PC133 RAM
Nvidia Geforce4 Ti 4200 128MB
Sound Blaster Live! MP3+
TDK 32X10X40 CD Burner
CompUSA DVD ROM 12X
LIAN LI Aluminum Case
300W Power supply
WD 80GB,60GB,20GB,15GB

excuse me, wjhat kind of stupid question is this. Could it be that I was told Toshiba has one of the best products out there? Possibly that might be reason you would suggest another Toshiba product. Do you really think Toshiba goes around telling people not to buy a faulty product? Frigging idiot. If you cant be part of the solution, don't post. Sorry, little choked to be sitting with 2 screwed units.

Chris M Jul 27, 2005, 09:21am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jul 27, 2005, 09:22am EDT

Finally, after 2 months of hell, I finally got my 6100 laptop back from Toshiba. 5 repairs in 3 years.

It turned out (apparently) to be the hard drive that was causing the problems. (screens full of colorful flashing garbage soon after boot, and the LED flashing syndrome.... see above). BUT, toshiba also replaced the system board (for the 3rd time) and also the "VGA card" (again). I think they were just replacing the lot and crossing their fingers.

On a side note, Toshiba managed to lose the Laptop temporarly for over a month during the repair process. So I was without my laptop for 6 weeks. I was in the middle of settling for a replacement laptop when they magically "found" it. Even though they told me it was the freight company that had lost it (??). I still don't know the story. It should also to be noted that they replaced the original rather speedy 30GB Toshiba HDD with a RECONDITIONED HITACHI drive which is no where near as fast as the old drive. I can no longer capture or play DV video reliably from this computer and Photoshop opens files like a dog. Which is ashame, considering I use it as a mobile photo touch up machine.

They also reinstalled windows (thanks) without using my requested drive partitioning and spelt my name wrong on the windows installation. Not a problem (thanks to Regedit) but still...

I will never buy another Toshiba laptop on general principal.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.