Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1108 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 18 - 03:39am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

toshiba 6100 wont turn on 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>
Shirley P Jul 29, 2005, 05:51pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: toshiba 6100 wont turn on
This is exactly the similar problem that I've had with my Satellite 1800 that I purchased in 2001, except my computer completely shuts off- no flashing power light, no error messages or scan disk when I power up again. The shutdowns occur randomly, but predictably if I try to update windows, run norton system works, install software, or just let it stay on for a while. I've never had a problem with starting it, but sometimes it will shut down before even launching into windows. I replaced the hard drive & still have the same problems with the brand new drive. Any insight?
Thanks.
Shirley

Hi all,

I'm glad I've found this forum. I've owned a Satellite Pro since April 2002 and I didn't have any problems with it until around December 2004. The hard drive performance declined steadliy over about a month. SMART temperature reading indicated that the hard drive temp was at 61 degrees C. That's hot. Hard drive died, I had to replace it. Now around May 2005, the unit is spontaneously powering off, with a flashing power led. Taking out the battery and AC adapter will reset the machine, and the system will sometimes work for hours, sometimes it shuts off in a space of a few minutes. Very weird. The laptop is always used on level surface, (desk, table, etc) but it is moved around alittle but not every day. I don't get the RTC errors or strange output on the screen--yet.

Are these symptoms of the video card problem or the system board/power PCB problem?

I've called Toshiba support in the past, and they've refused to provide telephone support because the unit was out of warranty, however, when I called last week, a tech was on the phone with me for about 15 minutes and she made no mention that she could not provide me telephone support (only no warranty service).

Thanks,
Mike

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Doug Mad Jul 29, 2005, 08:20pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well somewhat good news on this end, I have talked to Toshiba authorized repair center, and they will order and install bracket for "labour charge" as long as it is canadian model. No problem there, but the US model I have wil have to be sent south in order to get fixed, they tell me they cannot even touch it. At least ACER has global service attached to thier warranty centers. Looks like ACER might be good replacement.

Robert Trepp Jul 30, 2005, 10:09pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well folks, lets add another machine to the scene. I was suffering the same power problems with random
crashes on my 6100, and an internet search led me here. As I was typing a response yesterday, the machine finally died for good. It is almost 3 years to the day since I purchased it (and out of warranty). I type this from an older Toshiba 640CDT, at least that is still working! As this may imply I (was) a Toshiba convert...

Upon investigation, I have exactly the problem described, crystalline solder joints on the 4 pins on top right of 80 pin connector (facing the machine - and viewed under a microscope head).
Not having had any small PCB surface mount soldering experience I thought a possible way of applying localised heat to reflow the solder was to use a magnifying glass under the sun. Anybody had experience with this technique (non contact)?

Slightly p**sed off about possibly having to part with some more hard earned to replace it.

Regards to all out there

Robert Trepp Jul 31, 2005, 03:08am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Good News, this is being typed from the repaired 6100! The power problem was specifically an open circuit
between the 80 pin connector and motherboard to the power board on pins 37 and 40. The solder looked very crystalline.

This is not an easy repair,you just about need microscopic tools, dexterous fingers and a good very small soldering iron. Judging by all the noticeboards I've read, this is becoming an extremely common problem.

Also note I found almost all the screws retaining the motherboard to the plastic chassis were slightly loose.
This could allow additional flexing which would exacerbate this problem.

cheers

Richard Barsby Aug 02, 2005, 06:21pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi yes the 80 pin connector is a problem as the mobo is fixed to 75% of the base of the laptop and the daughter/PSU board is in the front 25%. This will cause stress fractures due to the heating and cooling of the boards.

I have repaired approx 30 of these units in the last 6 months, I assume I will not get so many now.

Rich B

Class Action Aug 08, 2005, 07:28pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Class action lawsuit against Toshiba re Satellite Pro 6100!

http://www.kbla.com/cases.php?id=35

Please post this information EVERYWHERE!

Alan Boshnack Aug 15, 2005, 07:17pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i have a slightly different problem with my 6100 i had the power on problem from the video card but i fixed that a while ago. now it boots but reports a windows missing or corrupt file. so i boot off the cd to fix it and the installation crashes. so i change the ram thinking that will cause it. nope no help. so i change it from write-back to write-through cache and it boots further but still dies and crashes before anything happens. Toshiba told me to take a hike when i was one day out of warranty. I've dissasembled this thing twice to check for looser than normal connections, so i'm left thinking it's the motherboard but that people wat over $350 us for. Any suggestions on what I can try or is it the mb?

B-sh

Doug Mad Aug 27, 2005, 12:09am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well seems I am an idiot, 6000 doesnt have a video card, thought is was integrated into the PSU. Anyways, I took one of the 6000 a part and resoldered to 80 pin connector and had it work for 10 hours then back to "normal". After close inspection, I noticed that there are 2 sets of 5 pins going from the connector to the board. I scraped off the top coating of the board to expose the copper underneath. Then I used 1" of 30 awg and soldered it across all 5 pins and looped it around to the copper pad that I exposed. I did this for both sets. 6000 is almost working good now. It seems to freeze up after about an hour, I believe from the heat. Does anyone know if there is any way to get the fan to run constantly on powerup, I am not concerned about conserving the battery. Thanks.

Filipe Marques Sep 04, 2005, 08:08am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi all, tk god to these forums.
need a little help here, One day i was working on ly 6100 toshiba laptop and the very next day... Puff
Dead..
I put the power cord and the power cord led, turns green, i plug in the battery and the battery led (orange)starts blinking (+- 1/2 sec continuous blink)
when i press the power button both leds go off for about 2 sec, and then the power led goes on (green) and 2 sec later the battery led starts blinking again..(orange).

all other leds are off (power, hdd... etc)

since this problem is a little bit different from yours ( no color codes) can anyone help me on this? i really need this laptop going..

Max Smith Sep 10, 2005, 10:41pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Gday,

On thursday i bought a toshiba 6100 laptop as an upgrade for my *shudder* 30CDT for AU$300. While the 30CDT is reliable i didnt really like the power in it. I bought the 6100 knowing that my friend had problems with the PSU in it before. Hence, the cracked pins problem.

Dad took it into work on friday to get the techy's to take a look at it. Seems that he could tell my mate had been trying to resolder the connections becasue it was dodgy. On this note i advise that unless people have the correct gear for the job, dont try to touch it. If its out of warranty however and you would like to have a crack at it yourself, my mate actually documented the attempt the first time to repair it (My laptop). This can be found at:

http://motherlan.cyberprune.com/solder1.html

After the techy took a closer look at the psu, it seems ALL the pins needed to be resoldered (Not happy and very time consuming) so he carefully took all the solder off and then got out his finest soldering iron tip, and his finest solder and set to work about repairing it.

Ill keep you updated about this as i get it back on monday night. If i have any problems ill let you guys know.

I would also advise that you look at that link if you want images etc of where the psu is, where the main problems can be caused etc. It might make it a little bit easier for the techy's or yourself to identify the problem areas.

Good luck to all the other people who have had this problem as well.

Oh yea, and if anyone wants to talk to me across the internet, I am a part owner in Bloop (Http://www.bloop-au.com) and so therefore i idle on IRC You can get to me by clicking here:

Irc://irc.enterthegame.com:bloop

or typing this into your version of mIRC:

/s -m irc.enterthegame.com -j #bloop

My name is bloop|Darkhound

Max Smith Sep 29, 2005, 09:15am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yep, got the laptop back and working fine now :)

Scott Sinks Oct 17, 2005, 10:06pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've had to deal with the bad connections between the video board and mother board twice now. The first time was when the 6100 was 18 months old. A trip to the authorized repair center resulted ended with a new power board, mother board, video board rtc battery, video clip and $600 bucks leaving my wallet. Flash foward 18 months more and the same problem occurs. This time the repair center tells me it's not worth fixing, returns it to me working and doesn't even charge me for checking it out.

A web search found alot of things including this forum. I followed Tor-Espen Austheim's directions in his message (Thank you Tor) and found corrosion on the connector between the video board and motherboard. A little careful work with a fine point and some polishing with a toothbrush, some reassembly and the 6100 is back in business. The question is for how long.

When it's working, this is a really nice computer, especially the 1600x1200 display.

George Smith Oct 18, 2005, 03:32pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well the problem that I have with this laptop goes like this:
Every time it's turned on, the RTC message appears and after 20min. of usage, laptop shuts down unexpectedly. Now, I opened the case of the laptop, re-seated the vga, and check the pins on the motherboard for the psu pcb. All the pins seem ok, but when I turned on the laptop, the RTC message appeared again. If I replace the psu pcb board, would that fix the laptop? Any help will be much appreciated

George Smith Oct 18, 2005, 03:33pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well the problem that I have with this laptop goes like this:
Every time it's turned on, the RTC message appears and after 20min. of usage, laptop shuts down unexpectedly. Now, I opened the case of the laptop, re-seated the vga, and check the pins on the motherboard for the psu pcb. All the pins seem ok, but when I turned on the laptop, the RTC message appeared again. If I replace the psu pcb board, would that fix the laptop? Any help will be much appreciated

saika bi Oct 24, 2005, 05:50pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hi
ive got a toshiba satellite pro 6100 and it has stopped working recently. before it stopped working i used to get bad RTC battery and check sum error. i had to reboot each time (and set the time). now it doesnt switch on. everytime i press the power button nothing comes on and a red light starts flashing on the far left of the panel. at first i thought it was the video card. i tried following tor's instructions but i got lost at "loosen the flat wide wire on the motherboard". i dont know what this (or where it is). can anybody help. also does anybody know how i can open the star screws. they dont seem to open with regular screw drivers.
thanks
ps tor can you post the pictures please

jp jp Oct 26, 2005, 09:46am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I got a toshiba sp 6000 and I was told all I needed was a new battery, so I got one today inserted it and pressed the power button and the light comes on but thats it, nothing else happens it dosn't boot up, can any of you help me on this? really would be greatfull.

Thank you

Jp

Luciano M. Nov 09, 2005, 10:38am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
If you want Toshiba Maintenance Manuals (including error codes, etc), look the post:
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/51345/

Filipe Marques Nov 09, 2005, 12:34pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Jp, my problem is exactly the same.. power led lightens but nothing else happens..press the power button and the power led goes off for about 2 secs and then all stays the same.. :|

Tanzeer Saklain Nov 21, 2005, 07:09pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
This topic is just going excellent. I was almost done with my 6100 ...at the end...I just could not find a place to connect a wire. Apart from the keyboard/mouse/display cables, there are 3 more wires White/black/brown connects to the mainboard. Well, I found the White and the Black one, but could not find a place to connect the brown one. Anyone can help? I will very much appreciate if someone could show me the place with a picture.
thanks in advance

Richard Barsby Nov 22, 2005, 05:31am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The brown wire goes down through a hole and come out the bottom where the small cover retained with a security screw is, this cable is for the bluetooth interface and depending on the unit spec maybe just taped down inside the small cover or connected to a small plug in PCB under the cover.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.