Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1231 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 13 - 09:59am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

toshiba 6100 wont turn on 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>
Tanzeer Saklain Nov 22, 2005, 01:49pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: toshiba 6100 wont turn on
Great help. My 6100 is perfect now. It's running smoothly. But I noticed that my rams getting too hot. I dont remember if it was before the system went out but now it seems to be getting much heated than it should be. ...i guess. Though no system shutdown or any other problem occurred for this. Just wanted to know if it is normal for the RAM to get very hot.
thanks ..

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Noah Smith Jan 23, 2006, 05:41pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Apologies for ressurecting this old thread. I was hoping someone would be able to link me to a pinout of the 80 pin power connector.

I've already done solder repairs on it, and while the computer is now stable--it never freezes or shuts off--the screen sometimes still flickers as if it's losing power when I press down on the front of the laptop. I'm thinking that a pin or two of my solder job must not be as secure as I hoped. If anyone knows which specifics pins are for what, it'd be an amazing help. Hm, now that I think about it, the harddrive activity light is a bit flakey too. Anyone know which pin that is as well?

Becki Chacon Jan 26, 2006, 01:11am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Instead of trying to fix the issue yourself, you might want to consider taking your 6100 to a toshiba repair center. Toshiba is fixing all the issues with this laptop according to the settlement. Mine is due back friday or monday with main board, power board, video bracket (to stop flicker), new drive and fan all replaced. No cost to me. Give a visit to http://www.sp6100settlement.com and find out if yours qualifys. I think that's why most of the post's have stopped here.

Max Smith Jan 26, 2006, 01:16am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I spose that no1 knows if an Australian person can be eliglible for this as well? Mines died as well... absolutely no idea why. I went through the maintenance manual and it came up with this:

1R8-E1V voltage is 1.53V or less when the computer is booting up.

Problem A2H

If anyone has any ideas about how an Australian citizen can obtain repairs on this laptop to fix toshibas failing design, please let me know at Trueblue019@hotmail.com or else post a message on this forum...

the link in the post above is for US citizens only :(

Becki Chacon Jan 26, 2006, 11:25am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
You need to go back to page 3 in the posts. This has already been discussed by tot tulbul. He has all the contact info you are asking about.

Nick C Jan 30, 2006, 10:06am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi everybody..I had the same "no boot, computer dead" problem....

The bug was the video card, it was almost half way out of the connector socket !!!!

Thanks a lot guys for al those post, you save me (or my boss) a couple of $$$. This
is my work computer and I'm working at home, 1000km from the office...Long walk
to have my computer repair by our IT guy ;)

This site is super..

Bye

Nick (Canada)

R Warner Feb 17, 2006, 11:26pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Please read the forum posts at http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/38964/
Please read the forum posts at http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/38964/

It may be the same problem, but with a different model. If it is the sameproblem I can repair the problem for you. The details are on the forum. I am also working on a class action against Toshiba for the defect.

Randy Warner

G MacD Mar 27, 2006, 02:24pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi! I only registered for this forum so that I could say thank you to everyone who took the time to suggest a solution to the "toshiba 6100 wont turn on" problem. My problem was solved by the reseating the video card solution.
My symptoms were amber flashing led when boot up button pressed whether from battery or mains adaptor.
The pattern was :
Short,Long,Short,Short,Short,Short,Short,Long. This is 41h in hex but means damn all as the error code meanings page makes no mention of the video card problem. Surprise! surprise!
For others who like me were expecting to see a typical video card it is the board almost in the centre held down with 3 screws and has a copper shield.
To release the ribbon connector from the keyboard you have to ease forward a plastic clip away from the connector. (Small tangs on either side of the ribbon cable ) This allows the cable to slide out easily. To reassemble just slide in the flat plastic covered ribbon cable and push the plastic tangs back in to lock the cable in position. No force needed. Good description of what to do on page 1 of this topic.
Once again, many thanks.

Sean Verwey Jun 27, 2006, 08:35am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Toshiba 6100 wont turn on
I had exactly the same issue with the Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100 not turning on. The first few postings of this thread were not right (or at least they did not work for me/did not sort out my issue). The problem with mine was that it suddenly stopped working, powering up did nothing except turn on one orange LED.

The there was some mention about the video card being loose, and a few posts later, Tor-Espen Austheim posted a reply on the 24 June 2004 at 12:50 PM that hit the nail right on the head, complete with a detailed explanation on how to open the laptop and what to do to re-seat the card.

After I did this, the laptop worked like a charm. Thanks for the posting.

However, after putting it all together, I think there might be an easier way to re-seat the video card. Although I have not tried it myself, perhaps someone could tell me if it is possible. The easier way is to remove the keyboard by:
1. Open the laptop (lift the monitor) to expose the keyboard
2. Above the keyboard between the 'Esc' and 'F12' or 'Windows' key, you will find a thin strip of plastic, which is actually a cover to the screws holding the keyboard down.
3. Using a small screwdriver, remove this strip cover.
4. You should see 2 small screws, remove them.
5. Gently lift the keyboard at the top and you will find that it is held by a few slots at the bottom.
6. Lift the whole keyboard out an inch or so, and you will see that there is a ribbon cable leading into the laptops body.
7. Gently pull the ribbon cable out at the body end. Easy does it, but it might need quite a tug to get it out.
8. Once the keyboard is removed, you are presented with a view into the body of the laptop.
9. There is a card right in the middle, about 3x3" square. That is the video card that needs to be re-seated.
10. You will see that it is held down by 3 screws, and there-in lies the source of the problem. The design should have included a 4th securing screw, because it appears that the 'spare' corner is where the card works itself loose.
11. It might be good enough to just push firmly on that 'spare' corner, perhaps giving a gentle rocking motion, because under the card is a connector that connects the video card to the mother board.
12. Replace the keyboard ribbon cable by inspecting where the ribbon cable originally connected to the main board (which if my memory serves me correctly, is the video board)
13. You will see that there is a long thin clip where the ribbon cable enters the connector.
14. Push this clip away from the connector, it opens up (or releases) the connector to accept the ribbon cable.
15. Insert the ribbon cable, and making sure that it is fully home, close the clip, pushing on both ends of the clip. This is where God should have thought that we might need an extra pair of hands.
16. Rest the keyboard, and apply power to the laptop. Try and start it up. If it works, then shut it down and secure the keyboard and replace the strip cover. Then celebrate with a strong cup of coffee, patting your wallet as you've just saved yourself a whole heap of money.
17. If it does not boot up, then turn the hot water jug off.
18. Go to PLAN A, which was listed by Tor-Espen Austheim mentioned above. The card might need to be removed and then re-seated (which might still be able to be done by just removing the keyboard as all 3 screws are fully accessible, but would need to be confirmed).
19. A word of CAUTION. The connectors between the video card and motherboard are extremely fine, and must be treated VERY carefully.

Hope this helps. Let me know. Cheers, Sean

PETER HAMLIN Jun 28, 2006, 04:52am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have the same problem with my SP 6100.

I am a retired aircrfat engineer with some experience in electrical and electronic assembly. I have followed the info in the forum and successfully dismantled the PC although there were cables not mentioned that I have had to disconnect to remove the top cover to get full access. I found the video board out of its connector and have reseated. I have checked the PSU connector and it seems to be good under a 10 power lens so I have re-connected that.

Now, I am trying to put it all back together but I cant find the connector for what I think is the 'mouse' cable.

With the PC in normal operating postion - top cover removed - there is a module in the bottom left hand corner that has a flat ribbon tape connector coming from its RH side. It is folded diagonally and faces the rear of the PC. The tape is white with a blue connector end. Obviously I disconnected this - or it pulled out by itself - but where is the board connector?

PETER HAMLIN Jun 28, 2006, 05:12am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
OK Posters. I have found the board connector. Obvious when looked for at a different angle!

Max Smith Jun 28, 2006, 05:14am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Lol nice work. :)

PETER HAMLIN Jun 28, 2006, 06:05am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The fix did not work. The PC is still as dead as a doornail so I will have to lug it back to UK on my next trip and report the problem to Toshiba UK for repair.

Shame that Toshiba marked this a a 'rugged' unit. I bought it as a replacement for a desktop and was not too concerned about portability so it has not had much travelling. From what I read in the forum the problems are as more to do with expansion and contraction than vibration and knocks in transit.

I liked the unit when it worked but this experience has put me off Toshiba. They had better stick to designing refrigerators!

Max Smith Jun 29, 2006, 03:09am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Mate, your one of the lucky ones who actually CAN take it to the UK... stuck down here in AUS no-ones posted anything about the laptops and im afraid that if i go into one of the toshiba licenced repair centers down here, i will get told that i need to spend the $1500 for the mobo (already been told that by one repairer) or that they wont want to look at it. Any ideas? Im in south australia btw.

PETER HAMLIN Jun 29, 2006, 03:46am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i bought mine in the Middle East and was somewhat suprised when I unboxed it to find that it was assembled in Europe and the PSU was fitted with a 3 pin British plug so I assume that it is the model intended for the British market.

So, I intend to ring the number quoted a previous post and tell them that I have a Satellite Pro with a problem and hope that they agree to fix it FOC even though it is out of warranty because of the liability issue on Toshiba.

I suggest that you do the same in Oz. Did you buy yours in Oz or elsewhere? Try ringing a (or THE) Toshiba Australia agent and telling them you have a problem with yours and that you know from Internet research that Toshiba have settled liabilities in other countries and expect a FOC repair.

Regrettably, the Toshiba web site goes round in circles when you try to make 'contact' with an actual person rather than FAQs. As far as I know they have not Internationally admitted liability for poor design, indeed, the USA class law suit appears to have been settled out of court by FOC fixes for USA marketed items.

I shal not be visiting UK until later in the year so I shall not be able to report on my position for a few months.

Antonio a Jul 11, 2006, 06:49am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello,

My nb toshiba satellite 6100 pro doesn't start when i push the power button.
DC-IN LED and Battery LED are steady ON GREEN (NO BLINKING).
HDD LED and cd-rom LED are OFF.

I've read the maintenance/repair manual about this issue and it seem to be a display problem (VGA card/INVERTER/LCD)...Does anyone have the same problem?
What can i do?
Help me please.The pc is out of warranty.
Antonio(ITALY)

PETER HAMLIN Jul 13, 2006, 07:38am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello Antonio,

You have power indications on your Sat Pro but no picture so your problem is likely to be that the connection between the video board and the mother board has come loose.

Look at a post by Sergio about 5 posts above this one and you may be able to fix it yourself.

Peter

Antonio a Jul 13, 2006, 07:54am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thank you Peter,
I've dysassembled completly my nb and the vga card was well connected.I've tryed to reassembly all togheter but nothing.

I've read the failure block diagram of toshiba's repair assistance..and it can be or a "display problem" (vga,inverter,lcd) or if not...the motherboard or CPU.

Does the symptom of a cpu failure are these ?(nothing fan,no hdd, etc.)

If i try to replace the cpu with another one, can be an hazard ?(the MB can burn it?)

p.s. I cannot find the SErgio's post ?? Pleas send me all the info to drantonio@libero.it
Excuse me for my bad English...I'm from Naples !

Antonio a Jul 13, 2006, 06:08pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
NEWS

The CPU is like burned around the core (it's black around the upper metal plate)!
Is it burned?

I've did a search on google/image:p4 m cpu
and i've found that it's normal.

I've tryed to connect to an external monitor and power-on...but nothing
This mean that there's a failure in Motherboard or CPU.
I don't understand ..:-(

PETER HAMLIN Jul 13, 2006, 11:40pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sorry Antonio, I meant the post by Sean Verwey not Sergio!

I am not an expert, just another Sat Pro user with a problem. I tried the fixes detailed in the posts (above) except for resoldering the PSU connector which I checked under a strong magnifier and it looks good.

I shall take mine to the UK next time I visit (I live in Thailand) and see if Toshiba UK will fix it for free or a reasonable charge.

You problem could be CPU or motherboard seeing as the video board connection is good. It is unlikely to be the PSU connector since you have the power indicator green lights.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

You don't need to apologise for your English language writing, I understood it very well, you are obviously proficient. But, next time, we will beat you at the World Cup!

regards,

Peter

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.