Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1306 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 11 - 12:50am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Problem Products /

File setupdd.sys could not be loaded. The error code is 4 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>
jeff Li Nov 04, 2007, 08:53am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: File setupdd.sys could not be loaded. The error code is 4
I had taken one pcs of RAM than the problem was solve. Thanks all friend whoes told us how to, thank you

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Paul Reifsteck Nov 19, 2007, 09:50pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
You guys are awesome... I had same issue and it ended up being one of my RAM sticks

Thanks alot

thanks to google.com too typed in the error and you guys popped up

Jonathan Eden Dec 06, 2007, 04:14am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi everyone! i had the same problem prompted "File setupdd.sys could not be loaded" Error code 4" while im installing WinXP Pro.
It's a RAM issue, remove from slot and put it back again...it will work!

Jonathan,
IS Admin

Rajar Bashari Jan 23, 2008, 01:59am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thx everybody

I got here via Google typin the error as is the topics name and got it solved by removing 1 strip of ram. I am glad I had that problem cause I found an amazing amount of reading fun here. Great to see people from all over the world helping each other out. I wish our leaders and scientists will one day create a likewise forum . Something like egoanalysis.
Sorry folks got carried away :P

Mark Cumbee Jan 31, 2008, 11:23am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The RAM was the fix!!! THANX guys!
I was stuck for 4 days and you saved the pc from my 50Cal\
Donadagohvi (Peace)
Mark

John Roever Mar 19, 2008, 04:38pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
To all those very helpful folks on this forum, THANK YOU!! You guys, (and gals) saved me not only a huge headache from banging my head against the microsoft wall but also saved me a friend and longtime customer. Microsoft itself was no help (what else is new?) but the fine folks here nailed the problem in no time flat. Just for the record, it was the Ram I had to 2 sticks of Kingston PC133 SD Ram (yes I know, old computers are my specialty, my buisness revolves around people that are older or are just not willing to try to keep up with emerging technology.) One of the sticks was indeed bad. I replaced with another tried to a reload and wouldn't you know it worked just fine. Again thank you very much and have a "Ducky Day"!

John Roever
Just Ducky Computer Services

stephen pentyum Mar 19, 2008, 06:08pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Kind of bizarre. 2 different makes of 256 memory and xp gives me that nasty setupdd,sys error code 4, but when i pull one of the sticks of RAM and leave the other, windows loaded and set-up just fine. After installation of XP, i re-installed the absent stick of RAM for a total of 512, and it works perfectly! Can only figure that the one stick is on it's way out, and to watch it, other than that, everyone was dead-on about the error code being a RAM issue.

This was on a GATEWAY 9300 laptop, btw.

Thanks for your help!

"If not for WINDOWS, I wouldn't have a job." (repair tech)

Steven Carpenter Mar 21, 2008, 03:34am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 21, 2008, 03:42am EDT

Thanks Alot Everyone,

I had just finished doing a reoutine clean up of my Home PC (cleaning out the dust from inside the case, Processor, ect.) and when i attempted to reboot the computer I recived the error. So i jumped onto my Trusty Laptop (rather, my not so trusty Vista) to look up a solution. Google'd my issue and landed straight here.

Yes my setupdd.sys issues are finally over, :P however somewere in the process my Hardrive went corrupt :~ , So now i get to do a thorogh cleaning of my PC, right back down to OEM Settings. ;)

Thanks For the Help,
Steven Carpenter
Cali, USA

jonard vllanueva May 13, 2008, 10:53pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
thanks guys i really appreciate this....thank you so much ....thanks for this site

Gerald Nyerere May 23, 2008, 04:31am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have the same error, setupdd.sys could not be loaded. I replaced RAM by changing slots, I also took the same RAM sticks to another laptop and worked fine but on the laptop I'm working on now wouldn't boot. Any help please?

Amin Merchant Oct 07, 2008, 09:33pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ram was the Problem. Just switch the slot and works fine....

Victor Hackney Oct 07, 2008, 11:45pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello Everyone on this File setupdd.sys could not be loaded. The error code is 4, which has been on since 2004. There as you will see if you look through the answers, some are just guessing, but in my experience, like so many others on this (multi-post) that RAM could be the culprit. Disturbing the ram and refitting, or changing slots, often works. Also removing 1 of 2 ram moduals , and using only one at a time to test in turn that they are both in working order. Another reason is a very dusty or dirty interior of the computer, which eventually causes Ram moduals to get dust and debris inside the Ram slots and this makes for poor connection of the ram contacts.

Cleaning the Modual's contacts with a small lint free cloth with Iso P Alcohol, and making sure that the contacts are not touched with your fingers is essential.
Additionally to those who have some Mechanical/technical skills. Make or get a large cork that will fit into a tubular vacuum cleaner hose. Fit a piece of plastic tube tightly into the cork, and use this to clean out the "nooks and crannies" ( small areas).( Windscreen washer tube is ideal)
If - Again if you are competent to clean the severe dusty interiors it is wise to remove the CPU Fan and heat sink and clean these throughly, and remove exterior fans if fitted, and clean the blades and housings.. Finally check that the PSU powerpack inlet is not obstructed by dust and fluff. Hope this helps, together with some of the other viable and feasable suggestions by participents in this long running post.
As a clean and well ventilated interior is essential it is worth while to clean out your computer from time to time. I notice that some members come from hot and often humid areas which are very vulnarable to soiled interiors .
Best Wishes to all
Take care
Vic. UK & Düsseldorf Germany. (Please excuse my English)

All forces are equal and opposite
Ndifreke Ntewo Nov 20, 2008, 04:06pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I am sure the RAM was my case,cos as soon as i took off one n booted without the other,i was free,home free,tanx u all.

stephen pentyum Nov 21, 2008, 01:59am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

stephen pentyum Nov 21, 2008, 02:06am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
iF I UNDERSTAND YOU CORRECTLY, taking out one stick left you with a black screen.

I presume that you tried putting it back in? How about removing the rmaining and replacing with the other by itself? If no video, then try clearing your CMOS and put the RAM back how it was....remember you did have video, but it just told you an error. At least you had video.

If ou get video back, then set your BIOS settings to their correct sttings, turn off your machine, remove all RAM, replace with new stix of RAM and fire it up.

That should do it.

Let us know how it goes, ok?:)

Victor Hackney Nov 21, 2008, 04:37am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello all,
With the greatest respect (to the resent NEW member), As I have already said this Code 4 has been amply covered. since 2004. If the posters look carefully through ALL the posts and try all the ones related to Ram etc; .. and I ask politely please DO NOT write privately to me repeating what they have already quoted
Kind Regards
Take care
Vic UK & Germany.
I am not ticking the reply box, as the repetition is getting out of hand.

All forces are equal and opposite
Ndifreke Ntewo Nov 24, 2008, 02:41am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Shawn Dyokas Feb 15, 2009, 10:30pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
One bad RAM stick was my problem. Thanks for the help.

livedead

kaizer mehta Feb 21, 2009, 08:35am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Had the same problem. Checked this site. Swapped RAMs in the Same Slot and it Worked.
It was definately a RAM Contact Issue.Hope Helps

Bruce Metelerkamp May 31, 2009, 05:58pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hmm. Tried all the options - diff't ram, move slots, clean contacts, remove all PCI devices. Reset ALL bios options to basic or disabled or combinations of above.

However, I have concluded it is a problem with XP recognising the HDD:

Trying XPPro in a brand new unformatted, unpartitioned Western Digital 640GB SATA drive (WD6400AAKS) throws the same error:

Unknown Disc

(there is no disk in the drive)
Unknown Disc

Unknown Disc

Unknown Disc

*** STOP 8E (0xc0000005, 0xF779DC0B, )
*** setupdd.sys - Address - F779DC0B base at F77774000, Datestamp 3b7d8507

The 640GB SATA and an old 40 GB IDE Hard drive both work fine with Ubuntu 8.04.

So I have resorted to Ubuntu over XP Professional!

The odd thing is that the system had been running for a year or more with a SATA 500GB drive. Weird. And unsolved.

For full comparison with your issue this is an Acer Aspire with its original 512 MB ram:
--------------------------
M/B Rev : 1.0
BIOS Ver : R01-B1
Serial No. : 53102xxx
Purchase Dealer :
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VGA Brand : onboard Model : 8TRS400M
CPU Brand : AMD Model : Speed :
Operation System : Win XP SP :
Memory Brand : Acer Type : DDRII
Memory Size : 512 Speed : 4200
Power Supply : 300 W

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.