Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1449 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 18 - 03:35pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Site Comments /

What new features would you like to see in these forums? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
Noite Escura Sep 04, 2001, 10:10am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> [No Subject]
I really loved the new looking! Keep it going Vitaliy!

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Rhort Sep 05, 2001, 05:03am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: What new features would you like to see in these forums?
Definitely like to see that blank/titleless topics screener.

_________________________________________________________________________________
~ The manual said "Requires Windows '95 or better" ...so I installed Linux!
joestyles Dec 28, 2001, 01:39am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I am new here so i might have missed it but a search engine to help find different posts would be nice.

Rhort Jan 03, 2002, 04:20am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> [No Subject]
Hey, that WOULD be quite a good idea!

_________________________________________________________________________________
Brian Hall Jan 05, 2002, 12:20pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Search is a BIGGIE. Also, edit the way Word can do it would be interesting; that is, with "strikeout" lines through the original copy, along with the corrected version. This would take care of the "hit and run" editors. ;)

~-~--~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Flaming:
If it Feels Good,
Spew it.
NickName Jan 09, 2002, 06:24pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
These forums have made incredible progress from what they used to be.

Good job Vitaliy.

joestyles Feb 14, 2002, 02:54pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have been considering to sugest this for a bit now, and I've finaly decided to do so.

What I sugest is an area for acticles. These articles I had in mind would consist of descriptions, expanded definitions and instructions. The main focus on computer information: electronics, physics,chemistry.
For example, acrtiles on PSU, power usage, dc current would have helped he people suffering from the k7s5a mobo problems or alesat gave a better understanding.

People join this site because usualy they have a problem and get information to slove their problems. After that, some don't come back untill they have another problem, while others stay. My point here is that there is an information base for this site in people and it is growing. I think that some of the members would be more than happy to submit an arctile.

With more information available, the more traffic the site will recieve.

If this was a go, there could be posted the general format to keep all articles consistant in the way information is presented.

I think that this is a great idea

Ralph Bacon Sep 18, 2002, 04:30pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
How about a way to unsubscribe from emails from a forum?

Like, right now.

Not that my Outlook is complaining about 500+ mails a day or anything.

I just don't have a life left after reading all the stuff.

Should I still tick that box that says "Send me an email when someone posts a reply to this message"?

Has that something to do with it?

HELP ME!

------------------------------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world; those that understand binary, and those that don't. Well I thought it was funny...
john riebel Sep 18, 2002, 06:39pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
also another idea, a people search. like i hear about a memeber in one furom, and i'd like to read other post by that person, do a search ad it tells me in what forums they've posted.

,',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',','

The path of the soldier is worn by the tread of many feet, all in one direction, none returning.
It is better to die on your feet then live on your knees.
oz funghi Sep 19, 2002, 03:57am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I would really say: a laptop forum on the main topics page!
wouldn't you John? :)

no really, way too little info and forums on laptops on the net :(

Norbert Fried Sep 19, 2002, 04:29am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
A search engine that returns all the posts that discuss a specific topic from all the forums/groups.
For example, one wants to find all posts regarding a specific topic.

P.S. I think that this is a great site, and probably a must see before buying new hardware components ...

Caveman017 Feb 16, 2003, 10:43pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
-spell check,
-avaitars,
-Spamming Countermeasures. Like if a user click twice accidently the econd will be ignored and a feature that disbales blank and titleless posts/topics.
-Preview 2 or 3 last posts when replying
-be able to edit your posts

Sincerely,
Brandon G.

~~I'd like to think about myself as a very advanced computer technician but it wont happen till i get a job:)
Mathiau Feb 17, 2003, 05:45am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
A way to stop double posts!!

when you hit "post" people, leave it for a second - just cause u are on an OC3 connection does not mean that your connection from your computer TO this server is blazing fast - as other ISP's in between can affect your speed.

so, relax for a min, look at the progress bar in IE - see if it is moving, if it is, it is going to post your message in all due time!

:D

______
¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸© God Must Love Stupid People - He made so many of them! ©¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸
¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸© Life is not short, your just dead for too long! ©¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸
¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸© The trouble with life, there's no back ground music©¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸
Mathiau Feb 17, 2003, 05:46am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well, from readin over what people want, you should just go buy a VB board..lol

:D

______
¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸© God Must Love Stupid People - He made so many of them! ©¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸
¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸© Life is not short, your just dead for too long! ©¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸
¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸© The trouble with life, there's no back ground music©¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸
BlackHawk Apr 01, 2003, 07:07pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
New forum for overclocking/cooling. Eliminating double posts, allowing you to edit your posts, and spell-checker would be nice too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I do not suffer from insanity ...
I enjoy every minuet of it!
Rhort Apr 02, 2003, 05:02am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> [No Subject]
A double-post screener, and how about something that rejects posts made by someone who’s signature is longer than their post? Especially posts that are just one word, like “LOL”, or a smiley of some sort. I run a forum and I go through and weed out posts like that; I just find them annoying.

An Edit Post button would be good. I’ve noticed that quite a few forums have them, and they tend to automatically add something like “Edited: “ and then the date at the end of the post, so you can see if someone’s gone back and changed something, which I know there was some concern about on that issue.

A “Quote” button would also be handy, as many of the threads here tend to ramble on quite a bit and often you get a new member chiming in about something someone mentioned months ago, which you can’t always find easily.

Local date and time (including formats) would be nice, together with the member’s national flag displayed next to their name.

I’m not sure about the benefits of Avatars, or pictures in posts, I mean, surely that serves no real purpose and is going to dramatically increase the amount of space that the site takes up, together with the amount of time it takes to load each page, especially with the seemingly unavoidable avatar war that always accompanies such a feature.

Tommie Harris Apr 04, 2003, 09:51am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
A search is a great idea !!!
It sure would save me a lot of time if I could find the posts that relate to my question.

Rhort Apr 05, 2003, 03:27am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Another couple…
Another couple…

Something else I was thinking (and I appreciate I’m being a bit of a hog here) was an option to increase the size of the “Latest Topics” section (I mean the “More>>” section, not the sidebar itself).

At the moment, it only includes the last 24 topics, which, with the number of posts we’re getting now, doesn’t even cover a day. Back when the site was young, I think we used to get something like the last ten topics and that would cover the best part of three or four days, but now, topics disappear off the bottom of that list within seven or eight hours. I know I’m always campaigning to get the size of this increased, but I was mooching around through the individual forums during the middle part of the last week, and I was coming across dozens of threads with less than two posts in them, and a large number with no replies at all, and on the whole these weren’t particularly off-the-wall or unsolvable symptoms but, I suspect, just threads that were pushed off the end of the live list before anyone got a chance to respond.

As a side a issue to the same problem, the situation is exacerbated by blank and double posts of new topics, which just increase the throughput of threads listed there.

Now, whilst I appreciate that not everyone is the sort of “problem ferret” that Brandon, Jake, Roy and myself are, I think it would be useful to have a way of filtering the ‘Latest Topics’ section, which by default could stay the same, but would allow us to get it to show, say, all the threads posted in within the last 24, 48 and 72 hours?

Another thing that sprung to mind, whilst I was reading threads during the week, is an extra little checkbox on the first post of a new thread could be used by the originator to come back at some point and say “One of the posts here answered my problem”, which then closes the thread off and moves it to a “Solved Issues” forum, which could then start to build up into a database of actual problems that have been fixed. It would also knock out some of the huge shambling threads which roll on for months and months getting larger and larger, not really solving any problems as such (apart from those raised by people already posting), because newcomers who have a problem are put off by the fact that they might have to read through upwards of 300 posts just to find there’s nothing relevant to them there.

I think this new forum would be most useful if it was heavily moderated -- I’m not suggesting censorship, but more someone weeding out any irrelevant chatter so that we end up with a fairly pure form of “How to fix…”, etc.

I’ve not really noticed anything exactly like that on any other forum sites, as such. I’ve seen them with FAQs and ‘How to’ sections, usually written by the people who run the site, but never one where the individual members are actually making such a contribution.

ROY G Apr 05, 2003, 09:16pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Cooling and OCin

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.