Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1127 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s July 29 - 10:44am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / General Technology /

Why gamers are sociopaths 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
oz funghi Sep 17, 2002, 04:20am EDT Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Why gamers are sociopaths
as i said, i'm not even a gamer, moron.
get it? ME NO GAMER BE. so if you would be even slightly serious, this would be more than sufficient to proove you wrong.
on the other hand, i know you're just doing this to aggrevate 'gamers', you're having a ball, just to swing BS at peoples' heads and see them react to that. So that's why i'm getting out right here; you're a joke playing a joke. Fun's over.

people, don't respond to this dude. i suggest you walk away from this topic and let it bleed to death, you can say anything and get a 'zerobrainer' reply: 'that's exactly the way they would react; a very tipical characteristic of the sociopathic gamer'

very nice 0branz, hahaha; ok now drop it;
(oh right, first you should say: "that's exactly the way they would react; a very tipical characteristic of the sociopathic gamer" and then i say:" drop it 0brainz, i'm not even a gamer" and then you say:....)

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Brian Hall Sep 17, 2002, 04:56am EDT Report Abuse
>> Raising Cain?
:D

~-~--~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Flaming:
If it Feels Good,
Spew it.
john riebel Sep 17, 2002, 08:11pm EDT Report Abuse
Brainz0--please forgive Oz, its not his fault, and it doesn't have anything to do with him being a gamer like the rest of us, hes from belgium, thats his problem. so see he can't help it. Also his arguemnt is not the same as everyone else before hand, we where all arguing about the Credibility of that study, he was just arguing the study itself. 2 different topics. so again forgive him. anyway. my next point to proving the lack of cedibility in you previously posted study,----the study says gamers turn spyco, basically. (now yes i am dumbing it down a bit, but thats so Oz- here can actually understand the arguement). anyway, about 2 years ago, a different study came out which basically said games are good for kids, taught them thinking skills, research abilities, and even helped their hand/eye cordination. the study even stated (as an example) that gamer children are more likely to become doctors and (my own example through proof) piolets. reasons on why for both. first doctors-- many of todays operations are done without cutting, small cameras and tiny equipmennt is inserted into the body on small tubes, the doctor has to be able to work on the patient under him while looking at the TV screen above him. second piolets---as im sure you know I'm in the US Air Force. Right now we have one plane that is run by remote control, and in the next 5 years we will have 5-10 different planes all remote control. The Preditor--our remote control plane as on right now. is used mainly as an inteligence gathering aircraft. The controls are from a guy "the piolet" in a room hundreds of thousands of miles away looking at basically a first person flight simulator "game" (don't forget not all games are like doom and quake and diable, many other types of games exist. flight sims, tetris, ect.,ect.,ect.....) recent additions to the Preditor are guns, bombs and missles. a true life flight simulator game.
every year scientist come out with different studys that argue the study they put out the year before. first cigarrets are good, now they're bad, alcohol is good if used a little, but alot is bad. they can't make up their mind. so put no credit into your "study" because next year that same scientist will be saying the more a kid games in his younger years the better it is for him when he gets older.

,',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',','

The path of the soldier is worn by the tread of many feet, all in one direction, none returning.
It is better to die on your feet then live on your knees.
Brian Hall Sep 17, 2002, 09:24pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Raising Cain?
John, I think the difference is between skills and motivational and social priorities. Motor and visual skills are "mechanical" in a sense. Frontal lobe responsibilities are broader, having to do with moduation of emotion, attaching interest and urgency to persons and things and projects, projecting others' state of mind, anticipating consequences, and much more. Delayed or reduced development in this area produces a cold egotist desperate for stimulation.

Flaming:
If it Feels Good,
Spew it.
oz funghi Sep 18, 2002, 10:49am EDT Report Abuse
"now yes i am dumbing it down a bit, but thats so Oz- here can actually understand the arguement"

euh, is that why you're grammar is full of syntax errors? or why your spelling's at the level of a five year old? sorry man; i didn't know. If only i'd known.
silly me! thinking you were dumb. Sorry!
:) :) :)
good thing we've got rambo here to keep us in line :)

Andrew D. Sep 18, 2002, 08:57pm EDT Report Abuse
Yet again Brainz0 you give more information that doesn't realate teh study you're trying to uphold. So because I play games I don't have an interest in certain people or things I like to do. Hey I do those things I like to do because I'm interested in them. Hmm.....doesn't seem to fit into your mold there. You think I lack the ability to look ahead and see the consequences of actions and any thing else that has conquences attached? Among my friends I am known for that very thing. The fact that I can analyze siuations and choices and decide consequences. I game alot and I seem to have social skills too. I have no more thoughts of "harming" people the "normal" people do in a playful manner. Everyone does that so you can't say it leads into the real act and really mean it. Oz, thank you for all your information that just furthers the points I was trying to make earlier. Too bad Brainy boy can't see the light. I think he needs to retake the psych class in high school.

oz funghi Sep 19, 2002, 08:52am EDT Report Abuse
welcome

oz funghi Sep 19, 2002, 09:49am EDT Report Abuse
"...stimulate only those parts of the brain devoted to vision and movement and do not aid the development of other important areas of the brain"

learn to read zerobrainz. Because playing games is only good for parts A, B and C of the brain doesn't mean it's bad for parts D, E and F. ("logic boy logic"? that's what you told andrew; not one of your best skills either so it seems)

"by spending many hours playing games some (!!!) children..."

again: learn to read

"...if they are playing games AND NOT doing other things like reading aloud or learning arithmetic."

and again: learn to read

"...children must be encouraged to practice basic mathematics, reading and writing to boost the development of the frontal lobe"

and again: learn to read, which one of the gamers here, or games for that matter, stated that that shouldn't be done? you can still do so EVEN when you're a gamer, also, see my first argument.

"He is convinced ..."
well, i'm convinced you're a moron. so, you're a moron right?

i have to be honest, i only just read the article, so my previous posts were all based on my personal knowledge on the topic. Now that i've read it i don't get what all the fuzz is about. First of all the article itself. It's too f*'ing short to be taken even slightly serious (this is NOT a scientific article dude!) And second of all, belowzeroBrainz, you're only reading what you want to believe. Not a convincing way to gain credebility dude.

learn to UNDERSTAND what is written. and yet again: think before you post. That's really all there is to say, you can keep believing your own fantasies, but it'll only infect the little credebility you have.
let me know when you can come up with an INTERESTING article that you may want to use as backup for your nonsense. This only confirms my older posts on the topic

'til that day sir, auf wiedersehen.

and don't even think about pulling that 'tipical characteristic of the sociopathic gamer's**t on me.

Andrew D. Sep 20, 2002, 08:13pm EDT Report Abuse
Damn straight. Oz you're the man. Thanks for clarifing all that for him.

oz funghi Sep 21, 2002, 10:14am EDT Report Abuse
no sweat.

john riebel Sep 24, 2002, 08:20pm EDT Report Abuse
this is really starting to get funny, if you go down and read it from the top. At first the "gamers are very aggresive and defencive over themselves. But as time travels on the gamers get more and more relaxed over it, probably realizing that they know how they are, and don't care what the "non-gamers" believe or feel. This causes the "non-gamers" to get more aggressive. especially the "wizard of" Oz here. He's all so smart, as he believes, that he's even calling people names. Namecalling??? i thought that was something children did. Now, I'm not calling oz a child, that would ust be sinking to his own level of calling brainz0 a moron, but it does seem very childish and immature to me. Wow, a "non-gamer" action immature, that must be a problem with the full frontal lobe, right?? But i thought Oz and Andy are saying only "gamers" have full frontal lobe problems. Is that a flaw in theory?? Might just be. And this whole not being able to spell, equalling not being able to read, equalling, lack of growth in the full frontal lobe, equalling psycos. That is bull. I admit that i can't spell worth crap and my grammer sucks, but a read at a college grad level, and I haven't even started college yet, do to my carreer. Plus i believe reading, writing,and that artsy-fartsy stuff if considered left-brained activities, while science, math, and the logical works are right-brained activities. Nothing is frontal or rear- brained activities. So I'm confused how is not being able to read because of gaming make you a sycopath??? Again, for like the forth time, I admit i can't spell for my life, and not the best grammer, but my life does not revolve around what i write, in words. My job, basically my life revolves around math. I'd like to see you take a brand new computer, fully loaded. where something is wrong, what is wrong is your job to figure out, and troubleshoot that problem until you find the resistor, or transister, the diode, or IC that is causing the problem, then repairing or replacing that part (depending on what it is) and ensuring the circuit is back to normal, same current, same voltage, same resistance, everything. So see with that being my job, and when I retire from the military with this job, being able to get a $100,000 a year job USD, with no problems do to my military background, why do i care if my spelling and grammer in an online forum are perfect.

oh yea one more thing, (now its my turn to be immature, remember iI'm a sycopath with a damaged frontal lobe, so its expected) but Oz and Andy- you guys say that gaming creates sycopaths??? well masterbation causes blindness, so you might wanna stop jerkin off before you can't see the computer anymore.

,',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',',','

The path of the soldier is worn by the tread of many feet, all in one direction, none returning.
It is better to die on your feet then live on your knees.
Andrew D. Sep 24, 2002, 10:36pm EDT Report Abuse
I think Johnny boy read something incorrectly here. I've beeing trying to point out that NOT ONLY gaming causes the problem pointed out out by Brainz0. While we're in the immature state of mind, maybe you need to learn to aim better if you're becoming blind. I thought that was taught in the army.

Brian Hall Sep 24, 2002, 11:20pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Raising Cain?
A bunch of issues are getting confounded together here. "Plus i believe reading, writing,and that artsy-fartsy stuff if considered left-brained activities, while science, math, and the logical works are right-brained activities."
1. Math and verbal skills are both left-brain. Right is imagery and creativity.
E.g., you recognize faces with the right, and remember names with the left.
2. Neither right nor left functions have anything to do with this argument. The frontal lobes are special, late-developing areas specicalizing in self-control, empathy with others, anticipating the future, and appreciating general values such as social affinity and morality.
3. Being polite is a good indicator of frontal lobe function, though it can be faked. Sociopaths can readily fake any and all emotional states, but actually feel few or none of them other than resentment at not being satisfied and appreciated by others. Long-term thinking is boring and difficult for them.

Flaming:
If it Feels Good,
Spew it.
oz funghi Sep 25, 2002, 04:10am EDT Report Abuse
John, i don't mean anything by this, but besides not being able to spell, or compose gramatically correct sentences, you also can't read. i've noticed this on more than one reply now, that you get it ENTIRELY wrong. it's not like: 'a bit wrong'; its a complete 180 degrees wrong. FIX IT. or don't post bullS to my profound and distinctive manner of communication :) :) :)
ok, i may have been childish about calling brainz0, belowzerobrainz; but face it, he had it comming, he insulted me 2 in a way so i don't see a problem with that :) and the fact that i stated he was a moron, was actually never stated. i used it to show how narrowminded his beliefs are and how big his enthousiasm for a LOUSY article (now scroll up there and READ what i wrote) i stated that if people started to attach too much value to 'a belief' (as was the 'he is convinced...' part) we all would still be 'concinced' the world were flat.
as for your computerskills, i'm happy for you that god blessed you with one thing.

oz funghi Sep 25, 2002, 04:15am EDT Report Abuse
oh yeah, and andrew and me NEVER stated that gamers are sociopaths, merely the opposite. (merely means 'just/only', just in case...) (opposite means 'the complete other thing)

Roger Gray Oct 04, 2002, 12:10pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: ECS K7S5A memory problem
well, i've read this article, and it should come with toilet paper!

A: as a general rule, gamers are NOT sociopaths.

B: as another general rule, gamer are good at math (which would seem to preclude them from being sociopaths)

C: doing lots of math problems will NOT help your social skills.

D: the study was used with Nintendo games not 3d puter games; Oooh that Donkey Kong is a menace to society!

E: if you're gonna post an article that angers a good majority of the people reading it, 1) find one that actually is based on fact & 2) leave your email address to everybody so they can send you dancing sheep!

Enuff said

Rog

Casey Seenauth Oct 13, 2002, 11:37pm EDT Report Abuse
Yeah... reminds me of that time last weekend when i played UT then went outside and kicked my neighbors dog, p**sed on a car, and threw a brick at the little kid that lives across the street.

I just had this urge to hurt people and destroy things. Must have been the games.

Ron Watts Oct 13, 2002, 11:51pm EDT Report Abuse
I aint even gonna click on the link. I take my frustrations out by bashing in the heads of hookers and other lowlife thugs(gangs) on GTA III . I am sure that article is a load of crap not worth my time to read. I imagine it is someone I would like to bash while cracking heads in the games.. I think it is a perfectly legal and refreshing way to relieve stress. Just more Media Hype .

This thread has been locked by forum moderators and no further posts are allowed.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.