Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1419 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 29 - 12:50pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Software /

lsass.exe-system error 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>
Mischa Haring Jan 04, 2005, 08:52am EST Report Abuse
>> Re: lsass.exe-system error
Still my problem isn't fixed. Reading all the posts about this subject on different sites makes me more depressed...if you cannot get into the restore-function with a valid password nothing seems to help...is there anyone that knows a solution?

A desperate XP-user

HP Pavilion ZE5600 laptop
only CD-Rom (6 bootable floppydiscs cannot work)
XP
SP-2

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Russ Wanchisen Jan 05, 2005, 08:15am EST Report Abuse

Mischa Haring Jan 05, 2005, 10:04pm EST Report Abuse
Hi Russ,

Thanks for your reply. Might be a typical Pavilion thing then...

With my notebook HP only gave me a rescue disc, but that don't work (password problem, see my earlier post) and indeed no XP-OS-CD.
I hae seen your Microsoft-link earlier but looked at it again, (thanks for the tip anyway). I have found the page to make bootable floppy's but no way to make a bootable CD. I have tried to put the files on a CD but it asks for only floppy's. It cannot be written to a CD (it's an installprogram). Or do you think if it would work if I would write the files to 6 floppy's on another computer and would burn the data from the floppies to a CD-rom?

Besides this problem; won't a recoverydisc ask for a password either?

By the way I have Windows XP Home Edition SP2. I have a copy of Windows Professional which is not SP1 or SP2 from my business computer. I doubt if that would work (I think I have read somewhere that the Isass.exe is different on at least SP1).

What do you think?

Thanks for your help!

Russ Wanchisen Jan 06, 2005, 07:03am EST Report Abuse
Mischa,
When it asks for the password, just hit the "Enter" key... (at least that worked for me!) ;-)

Russ

Russ Wanchisen Jan 06, 2005, 08:25am EST Report Abuse
Mischa,

In my previous post where I said I hit "Enter" at the password prompt, this step was actually within the Recovery Console procedure. From Microsoft's web-site:

"When you use the Recovery Console, you are working at a special command prompt instead of the ordinary Windows command prompt. The Recovery Console has its own command interpreter. To enter this command interpreter, you are prompted by Recovery Console to type the local Administrator password."

Since I had not set up a separate Administrator password on my HP laptop, the Administrator password was simply blank ["Enter"].

At any rate, I am not familiar with what's exactly on that HP "rescue" disk which came with your PC... I'm afraid that disk (or disks) might just be what they gave me: 6 CDs that are used to completely re-image the machine back with factory shipped software. As I had already mentioned, I did not want to lose my data on the hard-drive, so I decided to go ahead and attempt the system recovery using Recovery Console. If you still want to try the Recovery Console Mode, I think you'll have to make friends with some of your IT buddies...

You'll need to get yourself a copy of appropriate Windows XP Operating System CD with the exact version level for your machine: "Home Edition, Service Pack 2" in your case. (Do not attempt to use a version that does not exactly match what you have on your machine!)

Right now the "hard part" of your dilemma is to find that exact CD!

Once you have the appropriate Windows XP Home Operating System CD, you'll want to start up your system using Recovery Console Mode. I DO NOT recommend installing Recovery Console as a hard-disk startup option! (at least not until *after* you've re-gained access to your original system!). Here's a few snippets of details I grabbed off of Microsoft's web-pages (procedure to begin using Recovery Console Mode):

To enable your system to start from the Windows XP Home operating system CD you might need to change the device boot order settings stored in firmware. For more information about changing boot order settings, see "Troubleshooting Startup" in this book.
Wait for the Windows XP Home Setup program to display the Welcome to Setup screen (this might take a few moments). Choose To repair a Windows XP Home installation by pressing R.
Type the number corresponding to the Windows XP Home installation that you want to use, and then press ENTER. You must type a number when prompted, even if only a single Windows XP Home installation exists. If you press ENTER without typing a number, Windows XP Home restarts the computer.
At the prompt, enter the password for the local Administrator account so that you can access the contents of the local hard disk. Recovery Console accepts only the password for the local Administrator account. If you do not enter the correct password within three attempts, Windows XP Home denies access and restarts the computer.

Link here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654

Russ

Mischa Haring Jan 06, 2005, 05:34pm EST Report Abuse
Hi Russ,

Thanks again. I'm getting a bit confused at this moment, due to a language-barrier (I'm Dutch) and to what I am reading and my given information to you.

I have checked all the discs HP supplied with the notebook.
This is what I have:

- a few unimportant discs (documentation disc- etc.)
- A DRIVER recovery CD (no use I think)
but also:
- An Operating System CD!!!!!! (I didn't look properly I guess, sorry for the mess)

But here it comes:
On the the OS-CD it says "MS Windows XP Home SP1a"...That must be Service Pack 1.
My system has Service Pack 2.

I have launched the CD to give it a shot (I have tried this a several times, even before your post). After loading the Windows setup you get 3 options:
1. installing XP
2. recovering XP-installation
3. exit

I have tried option 2.; recovering the XP-installation. First it asks which installation I want to recover, theres only one option so that's easy.
But then it asks for my administrator-password. I leave the field blank and press enter, but then it says "password is not valid". (I don't have one, and never created one). After three attempts you only can choose for booting up again.

This is what I have tried. In other posts I read that more people have trouble logging in at this part (no password).
Since you write that I should not install another SP-version then what's on my machine I am afraid to try it (option 1-installing XP).

Would the only solution be to find someone with an OS-XP-SP2 CD and then reinstall windows?
Does it not harm the machine if Windows has been installed twice?

Thanks for your patience with me,
Mischa

Russ Wanchisen Jan 06, 2005, 06:51pm EST Report Abuse
OK Mischa,

A simple question for you:

Is there any important data/files/pictures on your computer that you absolutely need to recover?

If your answer to the above question is "No", then I would suggest you simply re-install the OS. (Note that this will destroy any/all data that was previously on that particular machine.) To re-install your OS, simply insert your "MS Windows XP Home SP1a" CD, select option "1. Installing XP", and follow the remaining steps.

If your answer to the above question is "Yes", then you have a more difficult situation... Note that there is the possibility that you will not be able to get your data back (permanently lost). I'm disappointed to hear that when you hit the "Enter" key at the password prompt, it did not allow you to proceed. This is not good.

Please let me know your answer to the above question.

Russ

Mischa Haring Jan 07, 2005, 04:11am EST Report Abuse
Hi Russ,

The problem with the password is a known problem if the Isass.exe is troubled. Isass takes care of all passwords etc. I think you were lucky you still could get in when you had the problem.

Regarding your questions: there are some pictures and data on the notebook that I would miss if it was gone but it would not be the end of the world so to say.
If it is going to be a big hassle to recover the OS AND if there will be also a risk that I will lose data anyway, then I think it's better if I would reinstall Windows.

Are there things I have to do after the reinstall?

Thanks a lot, I feel a solution is nearby!

Mischa

Russ Wanchisen Jan 07, 2005, 10:30am EST Report Abuse
Mischa,

You actually have a couple of options for getting your PC back. Each method has benefits and drawbacks.

1) If you're not concerned about losing the pictures/data on your drive, you may want to simply re-image your hard-drive:

Completely re-install the OS and associated drivers for your machine. This will over-write all the data which was previously stored on your hard-drive. You should be able to install the "MS Windows XP Home SP1a" CD and follow the steps after "Option 1. Installing XP". After you've installed a new copy of the Operating System, you will need to re-install all the software drivers specific to your notebook. Those should be located on that separate "DRIVER recovery" CD. This disk contains all the various support drivers specific to the unique hardware in your HP laptop (things which might require a software driver include items like the LCD Display, modem, firewire, 802.11 wireless LAN support, etc.)

2) If you want/need to get back the pictures/data which you originally stored on your drive, you may choose to pursue either of the following two approaches:

A) Continue with the original method I outlined in this thread: i.e. Start up Recovery Console mode and use it to manipulate a few files around so that you can re-gain access to your machine. Since you do not know/remember your administrator password, you still may be able to use a method to reset it as outlined here (and elsewhere on the internet): http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm (Note I have not tried this).

B) Remove the hard-drive from your laptop machine and configure it as a slave drive. Connect it to a separate (known good) machine. Boot from the known good machine, and access/copy all the important data off of your drive. After you've copied all of your data from your (slave) hard-drive, set it back up as a master and reinstall it back into your laptop machine. You'll then need to completely re-install the OS as outlined in "1)" above.

Whatever you decide Mischa, you probably should find someone who is good with computers (it's easy to get overwhelmed with computer software/hardware difficulties/jargon). Not that I'm trying to discourage you from working on your own machine, but for the sake of sanity, having a friend look over your shoulder and helping you work through any error messages or issues which might arise will go a long way in helping you restore your machine....

Let me know if this makes sense to you.

Russ

Mischa Haring Jan 08, 2005, 11:56am EST Report Abuse
Russ,

Thanks for your comprehensive and clear answer. Altough the best option would be re-installing the OS I am gonna try your 2 A suggestion; trying to change the password and after that your method you mentioned earlier here. At this very moment I am burning a CD with the EMCD program. This program will help me to change my password. After this I hope my machine will accept I get in the Recovery mode. We will see. I will keep you posted.

Your advice about getting help from an expert is highly appreciated but unfortunately I don't know such person around :-( I am afraid I have to do it myself....Thanks anyway.

A fingercrossed non-expert but determined to fix this problem,
Mischa

andy tong Jan 09, 2005, 01:53am EST Report Abuse
hey nebody help me,
my problem is after i start my computer,few mins later a system shut down pop out
and said tat lsass.exe 's code -number corrupt ,i dunno wad is going on but it pop out
every time i start my com !

Mischa Haring Jan 09, 2005, 07:17am EST Report Abuse
Hi Andy,

You probably have the same error as I and a lot others in this thread. Can you get in the recovery-mode?

Mischa Haring Jan 09, 2005, 07:36am EST Report Abuse
Back to my progress in trying to change the admin-password:

I have tried using EBCD and Austrumi to change my administrator password. The first program was too complicated to use for a non-tech like me (you were right Russ, I probably need an expert, I was over-bold). It seemed like the second program; Austrumi would give me more luck. Booting up with this program gives a Windows-like screen with a lot of possibilities. I have tried to change the administratorpassword here, but my luck bounced there....no way to reset the password, it just don't allow me to type in anything. So this looks like a dead end street. Sigh...

If anyone knows how to use EBCD in combination with my wish to change the password please let me know...

Russ Wanchisen Jan 12, 2005, 10:10am EST Report Abuse

Mischa Haring Jan 13, 2005, 11:46am EST Report Abuse
Hi Russ,

Two days ago an acquaintance of my girlfriend helped and did a great job. He could make a backup of all the files and reinstalled the OS and everything is running again. YES!!!!! I am very happy. I hope that I can post here soon how he did it (unfortunately I wasn't around when he did the job).

Thanks a lot for your help Russ. You were absolutely right that matters as this cannot be solved by a non-expert. I am glad you encouraged me to find help. And also thanks for the good threads.

And thanks to this forum of course.

Mischa

Jeffery Gibert Jan 22, 2005, 10:05pm EST Report Abuse
Mischa,
I would appreciate it if you could post the solution that your friend provided. I have experienced everything you have as well and also without any success - specifically the admin password and the lack of a SVC Pak 2 recovery diskette.
Thanks,
Jeff

Victor Hackney Jan 23, 2005, 07:01am EST Report Abuse
To all our HWA friends

Re THIS original Post Query re: lsass.exe WORM which has been also been discussed in length last year
and several times in the past.

http://search.symantec.com/custom/us/query.html

Best wishes to all
Take Care
Victor UK

All forces are equal and opposite
Victor Hackney Jan 23, 2005, 07:05am EST Report Abuse
Hi Friends HWA
Typographical error sorry,

http://search.symantec.com/custom/us/query.html

Take Care
Vic UK

All forces are equal and opposite
Mischa Haring Jan 23, 2005, 05:34pm EST Report Abuse
Hi Jeff,

I wish I could give you some more details on how this friend of my girlfriend exactly did it, but unfortunately no news yet.
The only details I can give you is that he managed to make a backup of the data on the harddisk (you might find some how's and don'ts in Russ' posts).
After the backups he managed to install XP on top of the existing one. I can tell you that the version I had was SP 1a and my laptop was running with SP 2. That's no problem. After installing XP you can run the updates from MS. Best is to install your virusscanner and update first because I am still not sure if all of these problems were caused by a worm or a virus. Don't think so because in none of my files was a virus or worm detected, but you never can be too cautious.
After installing all the programs again and downloading the updates of XP and Norton (it took me almost a whole day!) I have it running again. It's not working 100% though. I have some errors popping up and Outlook cant be installed. I think these problems are due to double version of XP or to my installed version after the new setup of Spybot on my machine.
But it works and I was able to work again.

I hope this helps at least a bit to solve your problems.

Good luck,
Mischa

Mischa Haring Jan 23, 2005, 05:37pm EST Report Abuse
Hi Victor,

Since it's not sure if this error message is a worm or a typical windows malfunction I decided to answer Jeff here. (There's a huge misunderstandig about the Isass.exe and the Lsass.exe error message).

Best,
Mischa

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.