Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1338 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 29 - 12:51pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Software /

lsass.exe-system error 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>
Anthar Thernis Jan 24, 2005, 07:52pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: lsass.exe-system error
Well i got the same problem, but i found some solution - when dialog box jump up (60s) hit go, start, or whatewer ther is , go to run program and write there "shutdown -a".
The other solution is firewall, when it load swiftly the lsa...never turn of your cpu, if you simply disable the firewall,well...you know what.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Victor Hackney Jan 24, 2005, 10:12pm EST Report Abuse

All forces are equal and opposite
Maui McMguire Feb 02, 2005, 03:24pm EST Report Abuse

Mischa Haring Feb 02, 2005, 04:24pm EST Report Abuse

Maui McMguire Feb 04, 2005, 05:11pm EST Report Abuse
Hi Mischa,

Yup! It's because of the double XP. Your registry got mixed up there. I would recommend a complete clean reinstallation of your WindowsXP. Now that you could get your files, now's the right time for a complete reinstallation. Besides, when you start your computer, you get the chance to choose what WindowsXP to logon to, only means that you still have the previous copy of the corrupted Windows. If you have virus on that previous windows, it will just jump over to the new copy and destroy the registry as well. Better make a backup of your files and reinstall Windows. Good Luck!

Sean Lew Feb 05, 2005, 07:11am EST Report Abuse
Hi,

I've been following your posts and it appears I am suffering from the same problem. I am able to access the recovery console. I haven't worked out what to do from there. What do I do from there to gain access to my desktop again?

Thanks

Sean

Mischa Haring Feb 06, 2005, 01:14pm EST Report Abuse
Maui,

You are a hero! I managed to do a total reinstall of windows XP. First of all I was a bit scared to get rid of the earlier installed XP-versions but I have everything running real good now without any errors. Including all XP updates (incl. SP2 which took most of the time), Norton virusscanner updates and Office it only took 3 or 4 hours to get everything installed. Internet is doing fine without any interruptions.

Thanks a lot Maui and also Russ of course.

The only question that's still bothering me is: was the problem that I had caused by a virus or by corrupt windows software or HP soft-/hardware? Maui do you, or anybody knows?

I will make a new post for people who have the same problem as i did to give a better overview. Except the way this friend of my gf made a copy of my files will be a mystery for now. Hope to find out soon.

Mischa

Maui McMguire Feb 08, 2005, 02:23pm EST Report Abuse
HI Mischa,

Sorry to reply just now. Congratulations for resolving your issue at last. Regarding your questrion whether the problems was caused by a virus or hardware, hardware has nothing to do with lsass.exe corruption. To give you a brief description about this problem, click this link http://www.2-spyware.com/file-lsass-exe.html. Hope this would this would help you. I'm so happy for you by reinstalling the Operating System on your own. So long for now, it's nice chatting with you. Hope to hear from you soon.

Mischa Haring Feb 08, 2005, 09:24pm EST Report Abuse
Likewise Maui and thanks for your nice words.

I doubt if the problem I had was caused by a virus though. In your link to the article I read that in case being infected you get a message that the PC will close in 60 sec. I never had that. In my case I booted up one day and this damned little box appeared....and the recovery-function didn't work cause I had to fill in my password while I never created one. Anyway, besides that I had my virusscanner, SP's and updates of windows allways up to date. Russ here had exactly the same problem with the same brand notebook: HP. I think if I remember well I saw at least one post on the help-board of HP that also mentioned the same problem. To my opinion it's just the machines of HP that are not build properly, but maybe that's easy saying.

Dear people, I said in my earlier post that I would try to make a complete new post about this problem to give more overview. I found out that it is very difficult to write it since there are many different ways the error occurs and the question if it's a virus or a corrupt system is still hanging. Anyway, I hope that in this whole stack of posts you can find the solution to your problem with Isass.exe
I am working on the question how to simple make a backup of your files if you cannot get in windows because of this problem. I'll be back....

caroline Schultz Feb 10, 2005, 11:12am EST Report Abuse
I think I have the same virus, but I can`t turn my computer on! I never got that 60s warning, but instead, whenever I try to turn on my computer, I get this "lsass.exe system error" warning. Then it says it`s something wrong with a service or function (not compleatly correct translation from Norwegian). When I press OK, the computer shuts down and starts all over again. I don`t have any files I really need, so does anyone knows what I should to?

Victor Hackney Feb 10, 2005, 12:57pm EST Report Abuse
Hej! Caroline
As MIscha says there are so very many variants in which this lsass worm appears,

Look at this link, scroll down the page and you will see the "warning box", and see if it is the same .
Copy and paste the link to see details of how to remove the worm IF it is the same as your problem

http://www.onlinepcfix.com/virushelp/sasser.htm?OVRAW=Lsass&am...C=standard

IF it is the same Warning...scroll to the end of the page, and there you will see a removal tool link.

Please read all the posts, as some have some relevance to the problem..
Hope this helps

Best Wishes
Farvel...for now
Take care
Vic UK.

All forces are equal and opposite
Maui McMguire Feb 10, 2005, 01:58pm EST Report Abuse
For Sean and Caroline!

Hi there! Victor's right! There are several reasons why lsass.exe gets corrupt. But if your computer won't start Windows anymore and gets an error lsass.exe - access denied, it's bad news, basically you can't download fixes on the internet anymore.
My suggestion is, boot with your WindowsXP cd. As soon as you have Welcome to Setup, press <R> for repair and it will start the Recovery Console. If it asks you which Windows installation, press 1. For administrator's password, just press <ENTER>. From the command prompt, type chkdsk /r. Normally, this would run 30-45 mins. After the process, type EXIT and press <ENTER>. Your computer will restart and at this point you don't have to boot to CD, just let your computer start and see whether you'll get to the desktop. If it gets to the desktop, observe your system whether it will create any other error messages.
I can't guarantee this would fix the problem, but there's nothing wrong if you'll try first, besides, this process will not erase anything on your hard drive. Pls update me for any development.

caroline Schultz Feb 11, 2005, 07:23am EST Report Abuse
Hi!
Last night, I tried to re-boot my computer. I did like you sugested Maui, but when I tried to repaire the problem (I pressed the "e" button) my computer said it couldn`t. So, instead i managed to make a new windows XP! tried to get the documents I wanted copied to my new verson, but I couldn`t do that without copying most of my programs. I don`t really need those document, so tried to just delet the old one. But I have no idea how to do that! Does anybody know? And in my new version of Xp, I didn`t get all my programs, like the dvd program... I`m afraid if I do manage to delet my old verson, my dvd program willl be lost.

And thanks for all the help, everybody!

Caroline

Paul Ramsey Feb 11, 2005, 06:18pm EST Report Abuse

Mischa Haring Feb 14, 2005, 08:21pm EST Report Abuse
Wow Paul,

That sounds like a 6 minutes job (5 min. for getting the coke and 1 for fixing it ;-). Wish you were here a month ago. If it works like you say I think a lot people will thank you. The ever growing list of people who post here says there are more and more people suffering from it.

For the record: I have had contact with the friend of my girlfriend and finally I know what HE did to solve the problem. For people who just come walking in: - problem one: lsass.exe error...(object can't be found blabla)...problem 2: you cannot run rescue disc because repair function asks for password (which you probably never created). So you are stuck now. A total reinstall of windows will overwrite all of your precious files and important data. Ok here's the solution and if I remember well, it's been posted here earlier but like I've promised I will tell what a friend of my girlfriend did to solve the problem. Reserve some time for doing this, because this is reparing it the long way, but for a non-expert an easy way to do it.

Step 1:
Boot from your operating system CD and you'll see the blue screen with Windows Setup. Just let it load all the files and just hang on. After loading you have 3 options: press option 1 (Enter), for reinstalling Windows.
After that, press F8 to accept the license with Windows. After a short while you will get three options again:
Install windows in the same partition as where your old one is. At this point I'm not sure what your machine asks after this, but at some point it will say that another version is already being installed and it will ask if you are sure to install another one extra. Answer this with yes. I think somewhere down the process it will ask for a name for the Windows folder. The exsisting Windowssytem uses the name Windows probably so give it the Winxp for example. After finishing the whole installation (might take a while!) the machine asks to boot up again. After the reboot you will be asked to choose which windows you want to start. Choose the first one and windows will be started. Be sure your internetconnection is NOT being established because we don't need it for now and IF there is a virus on your machine you might be spreading it so unplug your connection for safety. There's no need to install updates etc. This is the first part and if everything went ok you will be in your fresh created windows as a part of another version and we will go to the next step.

Step 2.
Now you can have acces to all your important data and files as before the crash. You might have to search a bit because things might be on a different location on your harddrive but believe me, it will be there somewhere (try the funtion Find if it's really hard to find) Burn what you want to keep on a CD or on floppies. If a burnprogram is not available, install it.
(Here ends the story of what the friend of my gf told me, step 3 and 4 is what I did with the help from Maui)

Step 3.
Since your windows is running again you might think you're done. Bad news. If you will go on working you will find a whole lot of errors down the line after trying to install different programs and updates. So, what you have to do is to start with a clean disc. You have all your important files on a disc so nothing to lose.
Boot up from your operating disc again and go back to step 1 untill the point after accepting the license of Windows. This time you ask for the third option and press D. Now it will fragmentate your partition. Now it's childplay and you can finish the installation. After the final reboot you will be in a clean windows and everything will work properly.

Step 4.
Make sure you have a virusscanner installed. Then make connection to internet and run all the updates. Then run all the updates from MS. Then all the software you want to have installed. Now you want to have your files back on your computer of course. Be sure that you check all of the data with a virusscanner. I am saying this, because it is still not sure what the cause of the Isass.exe error is. If it's all safe you can copy it to the files where they used to be located.

Well, that's it. I took a lot of space here, but I think it will make life easier for the non-experts among you. Good luck and have fun with your new windows!

Mischa

Josh Schoetker Feb 19, 2005, 03:59pm EST Report Abuse
hi everyone, i get the same error and have read the thread however my system restore has been off for a long time so i wanted to know which option were still viable and which is the best for me

Neil Harris Feb 19, 2005, 09:52pm EST Report Abuse
Ok, just fixed the problem on my XP machine. Forget the recovery console and all its problems. Get BartPE. This thing is super simple to use, though a little scary.

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/#download

also download the stinger plugin. It's free.

I was getting the "Object name" problem after using AVG to fix a computer that has the SASSER worm identified in a bunch of _up.exe files

What you want to do after you get Bart running on the damaged machine is backup the SYSTEM, DEFAULT, SAM, SOFTWARE, and SECURITY files from the \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG directory. Copy them anywhere you want. You never know.

At this point I used the stinger plugin and repaired all the sasser files. Alot of them were in the restore points. I also ran the symantec FXSasser.exe tool just to be sure.

Then I used Bart to copy an old restore point over the system files. The restore points are in your "System Volume Information" directory. Drill down til you get to the RP## directories. Start looking in the SNAPSHOT subfolders for dates that are before the problem ocurred. A couple of days should be good. Once you find them, copy the
_REGISTRY_USER_.DEFAULT
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM
somewhere else. In the copied folder (not the restore point folder) rename them to their base names (same as the ones you copied out of the windows\system32\config folder). This was slow on my machine but be patient. Once done, copy them all into the \windows\system32\config directory. Restart.

If that doesn't work, you can always use Bart to copy your backed up system files to their original location and be no worse off than before. Try other restore points too.

Miguel Feb 27, 2005, 08:59am EST Report Abuse
***EDIT: Problem #3 mysteriously ceased to occur after several attempts (including running the CD through linux). Disregard the post. Sorry.***

Hello,

I experienced most of the problems described in this topic but my situation seems to have evolved into a disturbing dead-end. I can't even reinstall my Windows XP now!

Here's how it went.

Problem #1
Windows XP wouldn't start thanks to a missing or corrupt \windows\sytem32\config\system file.

No problems there, I just replaced it by the \windows\recover\system.bak (yes, .bak, there was no \windows\recover\system oddly) in the recovery console.

Problem #2
On restarting the system now the problem was that nasty lsass.exe error about the password not being valid (nothing about object not found though - my Windows is in Portuguese, btw).
Like Mischa, I could no longer access the recovery console since they now asked for a (non-blank) password!
Fortunately for me I could (and still can) access all the files of my windows partition through my linux partition so no problems there. But there are a lot of GigaBytes involved to backup so I still tried to fix the windows partition this time through the automatic repair (still using the windows xp installation cd).

After the automatic repair ended I restarted the computer and tried to run Windows XP. A screen informed that "The configuration program is restarting......" and soon afterwards the same lsass.exe error appeared! I gave up.

Problem #3 - *THE* problem
Now, on trying to access the Windows XP installation menu, I boot through the CD but it keeps thinking and thinking (showing a plain black screen)!
What's happened???

PS: Paul's method couldn't be applied here because even without acknowlodging the error the computer restarts by itself.

Thanks in advance.
Miguel

Lord Zedii Apr 02, 2005, 01:50am EST Report Abuse
When I try to start up my computer I receive the following error message:
"lsass.exe - System Error Object Name not found." If I then click on OK the computer restarts.

I've tried looking for help online and there seems to be a lot of confusion with lsass being a "real file" or a virus. I do not believe this is the virus because everything I've seen regarding the virus from Symantec leads me to believe that I should be able to at least load up win XP. Unfortunately, I have been unable to load win XP.

I have tried loading in Safe Mode; Safe Mode with Command Prompt; and Last known good configuration. None of these work. Each time the same error message pops up.

I have also tried Repair with the Windows XP disk; however, because of my Raid setup (Raid 5 with a Promise Raid card), the computer fails to find any hard drives, "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer."

I have also read the suggestion to install win XP on top on the existing faulty win XP, which supposedly would allow me to save / backup some files that I really do not want to lose. However, when I select "To set up Win XP now, press ENTER" I get the same message, "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer."

As I mentioned, there are specific files that I would like to save without giving up and reinstalling winXP.

Also, because I have Raid 5, could I remove a hard drive and hook it up as a slave drive to another computer and access the files that way?

I appreciate any help.

I have an Asus SK8V motherboard.
AMD 64 FX-51
Memory = Corsair PC3200 2x512megs
Saphire ATI 9800 Pro XT
3 SATA Western Dig HDs
Win XP SP1

john dalston Apr 09, 2005, 12:31pm EDT Report Abuse
So this is what I did to resolve the

lsass.exe system error (parameters error) Having been told that I had to physically remove the disc and then format this is what I actually did.

1 I installed a parralel installation of XP Home. I did this by booting from the cd and choosing not to repair but to reinstall but then chose to have the installation in addition to the original installation. During this the setup warned me this was not ideal as they should be on different partitions. However my second partition was so small it had to go on the same one.

2 Having managed to install a second version I booted it but it would of course not access the files stored as the previous user name that I had had on the first o/s so I logged in on the 2nd o/s as administrator and went to the directory in Users and changed the ownership. To do this you have to be in safe mode and logged in as adminsitrator. By right clicking the folder and going to security and then advanced you can (when a dialog says you do not have permision) choose to own the folder.

3 I lifted all my files off the system. I was lucky I have a home network but you could do it on a CD

4 I am now formatting my hard drive for a clean install.

Good luck

I made this up from bits I found scattered round the net.

John

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.