Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 471 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s July 11 - 01:37pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Software /

lsass.exe-system error 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>
Tom Moll Jul 17, 2006, 07:28pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: lsass.exe-system error

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
derek bulte Aug 01, 2006, 09:21am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i had the lsass object not found error
i downloade the ""ubcd4win"" bootable cd image creator
it booted beautifuly 2 win xp
using a registry utility on the disk i quickly solved the problem
i strongly recomend this cd, image maker is free and includes many utes

search for ubcd4win you will find it

Maxim glantsev Aug 24, 2006, 12:39am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Could you tell me please what did you fix in registry to resolve this problem?

Pamela Goodson Oct 25, 2006, 10:06pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Another lsass incident
First of all, many thanks to everyone for the invaluable info here. I've read all the posts on the lsass.exe issue, and feel much more confident that I can fix my daughter's notebook armed with the info I've found here.

This week she was running a Norton update, and it resulted in the lsass error! Her computer goes round and round in an endless loop, with no way to get past the error message, similar to what others here have experienced. I feel bad because I had stressed to her how important it is to do regular Microsoft and virus updates. Oh well, Norton is junk, and if we ever get this fixed I'll remove it completely and replace with something not so, well, useless :-)

Fortunately, I made a copy of her Documents and Settings to an external hard drive a few weeks ago when I was doing some cleanup, so we have all her necessary files. I'd like to use the recovery discs that came with the computer and restore to factory settings. But my question is, do you just pop in the recovery discs? Do they go in any certain order? Do they start automatically, and are there any responses needed? I'd like to get these answers now, because the computer is totally unusable at this point. Once I start the process I won't have access to any online help.

Thanks again to everyone for all the help, support and great tips you've shared here. I'll let you know how it goes.

CrAsHnBuRnXp Oct 25, 2006, 10:38pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Oct 25, 2006, 10:41pm EDT

Is it just a Windows CD or is it a Windows cd and 6 floppy disks? If they are floppy disks, insert disk 1 during boot up. If the floppy drive is set as the first device to boot, POST will detect it and you will go from there. Then it will ask you for disk 2, 3, etc. During this process, just keep the Windows CD in the drive so setup can read the cd when needed. Then just follow the instructions from there.

If its just a Windows CD, insert the CD into the drive and when it asks you to press a key to boot from cd, press any key on the keyboard. If it does not, reboot the computer and look to see if there is a button to press to access a boot option. If so, select that button and then choose the cd drive in which the Windows CD is located. Then just follow the steps it provides you with.

You are right in telling your daughter that keeping Windows updated and her anti-virus is a good thing. So dont let this experience drive you away form that thought. Norton is a resource hog and is junk. I recommend AVG Free. It updates daily, uses less resources, and is a lot better than Norton. You can find the download here: http://free.grisoft.com/softw/70free/setup/avg75free_428a818.exe

I also recommed getting a software firewall for her computer if she does not have one already. You can find it here and is completely free: http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/f...mp;lang=en

I also recommend putting an anti-spyware app on her computer. Keep this updated daily as well. http://free.grisoft.com/softw/70free/setup/avgas-setup-7.5.0.50.exe

Good luck. If you need more help, post back and we will try and help. But make a seperate thread that is dedicated to the problem you are having. :)

*If you do not have a way to post back due to the computer you are working on being down and you have no other computer in a house, if you can, use a friends computer or even the local library.*

EDIT: Here is a guide that can walk you through the (what Im assuming is) XP install. http://www.petri.co.il/install_windows_xp_pro.htm

Pamela Goodson Oct 27, 2006, 01:43pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks for the tips! If I can get her operating system back up and running, I'll set things up the way they should be. I'm headed over there after work today. She has 5 or 6 CD's that came with the laptop - one is the operating system (thank goodness) and the others are something else....not sure until I see them. I just hope this process doesn't get too messy. I'm so glad we saved the Files & Settings when we did.

Thanks again. I'll post results as soon I have them :-)

Pam

Robert Constantine Nov 28, 2006, 09:02am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi all, I see I am not alone in this computer virus/problem! I have been reading the posts people have offered and just have a few questions. I am posting from a laptop.

I am running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, and before this morning the computer was running perfect. I have anti spyware, AGV, virus protection and have not had a problem with the computer since purchase.

For each person, there seems to be different variations on the problem. Mine is:
"Isass.exe - Unable to Locate Component"
"This application failed to start because DNSAPI.dll was not found. Re-installing the application might fix this problem"

The computer then simply waits there, with my only option to press OK, where it just waits on a black screen.

I have tried running it in safe mode with command prompt, under someone's (Martin's?) advice, yet it did not make a difference. I do not really want to lose the data on my computer, and furthermore, I have just moved internationally, I need to look in boxes for the windows recovery disks!

Im not a programmer but I can play around with computers, If necessary, should I install a formatted hard drive from another computer and set it as the master? But still the problem is I cannot access any data on the broken computer, so WHAT DO I DO!>!?!?!? AH! waaaaaaa. I wanna be a virus protection software.

If you can, please help. lol

Hermskii Hermskii Jan 22, 2007, 02:31am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I was able to determine that this error can happen just by making certain hardware setting changes. I found a way that does restore the system that was mentioned here on another page. The directions were awful so I will rewrite them so anybody could do this. It took me about an hour the first time but my system is perfectly restored. I did not lose anyhting! This is much better than a rebuild or a bad fix. My main point is many of you may have a virus but I had this error and it looked like the virus but wasn't. I even reproduced it on purpose just to see and the error returned. Feel free to contact me if you need to. Later!

Hermskii Hermskii Jan 22, 2007, 10:51pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I got the "lsass.exe - System Error" box after a reboot. In the error box it said "Object Name not found" and only offered a "OK" button. When I clicked OK the PC reboots and this thing starts doing the same thing over and over.

This particular computer is in my garage (old hobby computer that I built myself), and connects to the Internet wirelessly. It is a ABIT KT7A motherboard version 1.0 with Windows XP Pro SP2. It has a AMD 950mhz Thunderbird processor in it with 384mb of Crucial PC1333 CAS2 SDRAM.

I mention all of this for a few reasons: 1. This PC is behind a firewall and was patched all the way up with the most recent updates including Microsoft patches, Anti-Virus software, Spy-ware detection and removal tools and everything that a responsible PC user should have to enjoy safe Internet surfing. 2. Many people think this issue is from a virus and that may be true but not in my case.

This error happened to me after I had made a few changes in my BIOS in order to speed up my computer to run as a 1,000mhz machine instead of the 950mhz that it defaults to with this processor. The practice of making a processor run faster than it is actually designed for is called overclocking and I have been very successful doing it for many years. I am a computer professional with an abundance of experience.

Now that I have said all of that, I'd like to offer many of you help. Note that I too had already tried to boot into safe mode and/or use the last known good configuration and many other things that were listed here. None of them worked. Actually, one did! Read on. I have read the Internet up and down about this error and finally found something that sounded like it might work. Note also that some of you may very well have the virus mentioned by so many people here. I found that there appear to be many variations of how this happened to each of us and based on how people said to identify the virus, I determined their efforts were flawed and untrue. My PC did not have a virus and I knew it.

Like I said above, I read something that sounded like it might work so I gave it a shot. I struggled at first to follow the directions because they were very poorly written. Luckily, I knew what they were trying to say and made workarounds to the problems I encountered and I was able to complete the task and fully restore my computer as if the issue never happened.

My intention now is to re-write them properly and post them here. I have to say that the fix will take about 20-45 minutes depending on how fast you can follow directions and type. I think the neat thing about this fix is that it should work on all versions of Windows XP and for all sorts of issues people may run into where fixing their PC in 20-45 minutes sounds better than losing all data (including email and pictures etc. etc.), reformatting, reinstalling a new operating system and then completely rebuilding their computer again.

A special note before you get too excited: You must know the "Administrator" password to your computer or you won't be able to use this fix. Also, so you'll know, once I fixed my PC I again tested for viruses and I had none. I then re-overclocked my PC again on purpose and caused the error again to make sure it was strictly hardware related. No problem now since I am sure what I have to do in order to resolve the issue. Let me know if there is interest in me writing up the fix which I plan to post anyway.

Hermskii Hermskii Jan 27, 2007, 01:31pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

ANDREW LE Feb 12, 2007, 03:55pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Snowy Winter said:
I removed the software for the modem in my PC and tried to shutdown but a message appeared saying I did not have the authority to shutdown the PC. I shutdown the PC manually (switched it off) and when I attempted to restart I received the following message " lsass.exe-System Error -Object name not found. I have never put a password into the system to gain entry. Does anyone out there have a clue to what has occurred and can I get around it. I have restarted in Safe Mode but the same Error message appears, I have tried to repair from the System CD but it asks for the administrators name and password. as I said I have never put a password into the system and it knocks back everything I do enter. HELP please.

My o/s is Windows XP Pro + SP1

bryan green Feb 18, 2007, 10:07am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
If you have system restore turned on the fix is fairly simple.

Boot from a utility such as UltimateBootCd which can be downloaded from the site of same name.

On that CD after booting into X there is a registry restore tool. Restore your registry to when it worked last.

Steven Scharf Mar 03, 2007, 10:44am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks for that explanation, it really helped me.

I had the same lsass.exe problem on a Compaq Notebook two days ago. I followed the instructions in that article (there are some errors where he gives the wrong path for some of the repair files, adding "system" into the path where it shouldn't be there) and it worked well.

I had the problem when I booted from the floppy disks (thank you Microsoft for providing these for free) that it asked for my administrator password, but it wouldn't actually take it. I used one of the Unix based password crackers, but now I don't remember which one. One had an option for disabling the password request for recovery boot, and I did that and when I rebooted again from the floppies it didn't ask for a password, it went right to the C: prompt.

I didn't try it, but I think that another way of recovery would be to put the affected drive on another system as a secondary drive and copy the repair files into the c:\windows\system32\config folder, or even copy the snapshot files directly into the c:\windows\system32\config folder and bypass the repair file step entirely (the repair files let you boot a non-booting system, but if you can get the drive onto another system it may be easier). Of course you have to have another PC running an OS that can read NTFS drives, and a way to hook it up. I have a USB hard drive case for notebook drives, so this would work for me.

I ordered the recovery CD from HP, as the floppies were a pain. Thank g-d I had a USB floppy drive around. I had to scrounge up some old floppies as I got rid of most of my floppies ages ago.

I also had the original 60GB notebook drive which I had replaced with a 100GB drive a few months earlier. I may buy a second 100GB drive and do weekly drive cloning over USB to a backup drive.

I'd love to know what caused the problem in the first place!

Hermskii Hermskii Mar 03, 2007, 01:23pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Did you try my solution?

Steven Scharf Mar 04, 2007, 12:26pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Right, those were the Charlie White instructions, though what you posted still has some of the errors from the original. Specifically, the path for ther repair files is incorrect, there is no "system" in the path.

It should read:

cd c:\windows\repair (Now your prompt should look like this: c:\windows\repair )
copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

Hermskii Hermskii Mar 04, 2007, 05:01pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks! I will edit that. I'm glad it helped. Later!

Hermskii Hermskii Mar 04, 2007, 10:54pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
You were right and thank you for identifying that. Iwant this to work as smoothly as possible for anyone who uses it. I also noticed that in the direction set at the point you found the error that I had told the user to change the directory to be in the one copying files from so that means they wouldn't have to type out the whole line as Ihad it so I've edited it again to reflect the following. Iwill post the entire corrected document again after this post. Here was the section I made your corrections too and then added my easier lines:

So now your prompt should look like this: C:\windows>

cd c:\windows\repair (Now your prompt should look like this: c:\windows\repair )

copy system c:\windows\system32\config\system

copy software c:\windows\system32\config\software

copy sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam

copy security c:\windows\system32\config\security

copy default c:\windows\system32\config\default

exit (Yes, type the word exit and hit enter)

Hermskii Hermskii Mar 04, 2007, 10:56pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Corrected copy of fix.

Danie; MacAulay Mar 12, 2007, 02:48pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hi, I apologise in advance if this is long winded.

I was having a few problems with my PC. It wouldn't boot to windows at all. It was able to load it in Safe Mode, so I then did a system restore to a point long before the problems started. That worked, but after loading up windows, using the pc for a day or two, and shutting it down, it wouldn't boot again.

This time, when booting, it would show the WinXPPro logo (with the loading bar), and then after a few seconds the screen went blank, and nothing at all would happen (left it for over an hour). So the next time round i tried loading it in Safe Mode, which also failed, it would get so far in loading up the system files and then stop doing anything. Note: in both safe mode and normal mode, just before the screen went blank/stopped loading system files, all the keyboard lights would light up and then all go off, and everything becomes unresponsive - caps locks, num lock etc...nothing.

after that I tried the windows repair function from the original XPPro disk. This ran okay, but on reboot it would go as far as showing a light blue screen (not the blue error screens) and then an error message would appear saying "lsass.exe - System Error An invalid parameter was passed to a service or function". When I click on close, or "okay", the message closes, and the system procedes to reboot. I tried running the repair feature again, to no avail, and now I can't even access the recovery console, because my password has been changed (which was originally blank) but obviously isn't now, evne though I have not changed any passwords since this problem began.

I know a quick way of fixing this is just to reformat and do a fresh install of windows, but I'd prefer not to lose all the data I had. Any help at all folks?

I can't access safe mode, I can't get to the desktop, and recovery console is now out of business too.

1. is there anyway I can reset the admistrator password in my situation, and if I can access the recovery console, is there any point?
2. Am I best just using Maui's method, of installing a new windows directory to recover my files, and the FDisk it for a a fresh start. If I am, I've got about 50gb worth of stuff i need to back up, and thats a lot of dvd's, will I just be able to fire the files onto the computer I have it networked with via the shared folders? thanks

I'd appreciate any help on this, as its driving me spare! thanks

Steven Scharf Mar 12, 2007, 03:19pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
If you have received an lsass.exe error, then it's likely that your SAM file is hosed, and your administrator password is no good.

There are tools to get around the administrator password, either by displaying it, setting it to something else, blanking it, or not asking for it. You've got to download an ISO CD image, burn it to a CD, and boot from that CD.

See "http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm"

It might also be possible to stick the problem drive on another system as a secondary drive and get to the five recovery files that way (I haven't tried copying the files into the x:\windows\system32\config directory but I can get to both the System Volume Information folder and to the x:\windows\system32\config folder when I attach my old notebook drive into a USB enclosure and I can put things into the x:\windows\system32\config folder, so I think that it might work to do it this way (remember, you're not using the c: drive in this case, it's whatever letter Windows assigns to the USB drive). I don't think Windows cares how those files get into that folder. I'd advise putting the drive into a USB enclosure that can be hot-plugged after the good system is booted.

You've got to find a way to replace the five files in c:\windows\system32\config with good ones that you retrieve from the System Volume Information folder.

See "http://nordicgroup.us/xprecovery/recoveryxp.pdf"

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.