Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1340 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 1773.94 kbit/s April 20 - 06:46am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio PCG-Z600/505 won't power up (one for Tom and Joe) 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4
Jan E Nov 02, 2006, 03:04pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio PCG-Z600/505 won't power up (one for Tom and Joe)
Phantasm Phantasm: what was the outcome of your actions?

I have had the same troubles with a Z600TEK for a few months. Sony offered a replacement mainboard for 870 euro, which I declined. Until now I had always been able to power the Z600TEK again, by disconnecting all power sources, hold down the power button for some minutes, connect the AC power and hit the power button once more.

However, yesterday the laptop halted the boot process while showing the Vaio logo. That was the end. The lights still flicker when trying to power the laptop, it even charges the batteries, but refuses to boot.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Jan Juh Mar 05, 2007, 03:44am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Not sure if I suffer the same problem or a different one with my PCG-Z600REK. Any help will be much appreciated.

My symptoms:
- Powering on has no effect except that the power-light comes up and after a while the fan starts to spin.
- The CPU as well as the northbridge chip become very hot.
- No screen, HD not starting, no beeps.
- When listening very closely, I can hear a faint click upon turning on and off.

What happened before:
- I had hardly used the laptop during the last 12 months, but then decided to upgrade the HD and buy a new battery (the original one was long gone). But first, I replaced the faulty touchpad with one I took from a derelict F-series vaio. Since they were produced at roughly the same time and used the same driver, I suspect that they might be compatible, which they actually turned out to be. So after a good deal of twiddling the touchpad was good as new and the laptop still booted perfectly into Windows. (If you are interested in the details of the touchpad replacement job, I'm happy to provide more info, since I searched the net for this kind of info to absolutely no avail.)
- I then let the laptop sit unassembled for two days until the new HD arrived. Luckily, before starting to replace the HD, I tried to turn the vaio on for a last time, well, kind of a farewell gesture towards the old and whiny HD, I guess. And this is where the trouble started. The laptop began to show the symptoms described above. I cannot remember anything that I changed after the last successful boot up.I am not sure, though, if I left the main power cable connected during the two days.

Finally, here's what I tried to cure the symptoms, to no good outcome:
- Powering on for >2min (actually, with the help of a Q-tip: >200min :P)1
- disconnecting the CMOS-Battery
- removing the additional 256MB-RAM
- removing the replaced touchboard
- removing the (old) HD

I refuse to believe that after surviving my touchboard replacement efforts so gracefully, the laptop decided to end its live after two days of inactivity. Yet I have no more ideas what else to try.

Phantasm Phantasm Apr 06, 2007, 04:00am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ok so here is an update.

I left the laptop since Sep 28, 2006. Today is April 6,2007.

The laptop was left with everything disconnected, including (what I think is ) the CMOS battery. (located under the motherboard??)

I plugged it in, a couple of chips became warm, but no lights no nothing.

suggestions?

yosty . May 05, 2007, 12:25pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Sony Vaio PCG-Z600/505 won't power up PROBLEM SOLVED
Just wanted to let everyone know, I had this booting problem on my Z505JE about two years ago, I replaced the LT1628 and IRF7313 chips and my laptop has been working perfectly since.

There are some pictures here:
http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/360584088ZahlMN

Thanks guys, it was research on this site and confirmation with an oscilloscope that allowed me to get this done.

yosty . May 05, 2007, 12:37pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Sony Vaio PCG-Z600/505 won't power up PROBLEM SOLVED
One more thing, based on this info:
"Sony Z505GATH, modelPCG-532D, 28314170 7600697. No go, no light at all, no 3.3 to the power switch. Traced fault to dry joints on LT1628 & AD3421 ICs, resoldered the pins. Laptop going fine, vibration tested fine."

I bet its common that the solder joints fail and you wouldnt have to replace the chips. But, you can get the chips free as samples so you might as well.

from here: http://www.open.net.nz/index.php?n=Main.RepairDatabase

Pauline Huthwaite May 17, 2007, 02:09pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Oct 07, 2010, 04:59am EDT

Pauline Huthwaite Jun 02, 2007, 05:34pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Oct 07, 2010, 04:59am EDT

Marc Boon Nov 06, 2007, 09:01am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My Z600TEK has a slightly different symptom:
It will freeze in the Windows 2000 logo screen. When I try to boot in safe mode with command prompt, the last line before it freezes says something about the agp440 driver being loaded. This is the screen driver, right? But the screen looks fine.
It also doesn't finish booting from usb-floppy or pcmcia cd-rom.

I opened it up to check the motherboard battery. I had replaced the hard drive once, so I knew I had to peel off the plastic caps at the lcd hinge to find the last two screws..

The battery is hidden under the motherboard, but a red/black wire pair running from the bottom to a connector on the top reveals its location. I measured the voltage on the pins of the connector, and it read 3.45V. This sounds good to me, so I didn't bother to replace the battery.

Still, I have no clue what the problem is. Any ideas?

Jim Bo Sep 19, 2008, 03:12am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 19, 2008, 03:23am EDT

>> Re: Sony Vaio PCG-Z600/505 won't power up
I have been having the same start up problem for my PCG-Z505LSK for the past 8 years. It first started in July of 2004. Since then the computer has been periodically asleep with the inability to start for up to 1-2 years. This summer in July 2008, I was able to get my laptop to start up again. I did think twice about the irony of the date, with it being so close to the date (month) the problem first appeared. After about two days of leaving it on, since I was so happy that it was working and being so fearful that it wouldn't start again, I turned the VAIO off only to have it go into hibernation again for another 2.5 weeks. The last time it started was in August of 2008. Since then, I learned a trick to keep it going. Never click on "SHUTDOWN" in Windows! Instead, click on "RESTART". Well this worked without a hitch for the last 40 something days until today, when I went to the public library to use my VAIO. A friend called me and I decided to turn the computer off with the lid closed, so I may have accidentaly clicked on SHUTDOWN. Well, sure enough, my computer is in the indefinite sleep mode, where no matter how many times I click on start, the power won't come on and it won't boot. I tried holding the switch for 2 minutes to no avail. I still cannot figure out where the CMOS battery is as no one in the whole wide world has ever provided a picture with the exact location of where it is on the Z505. I am left in the waiting period until my computer awakens again.

What I learned is that there is a problem with WINDOWS and the incompatibility of the APC / sleep feature of the motherboard. I don't really think that anyone has to do any soldering of capacitors or changing of IC chips. I just think that we are all screwed because Microsoft never considered Sony VAIOs when they assembled their operating system and Sony never bothered to update their drivers or hardware either. I don't think that SONY VAIO's overheat, I just think they go into a hibernation mode that is intermittent and of unpredictable duration. The overheating issue on VAIOs is the biggest misnomer and source of crap I have seen over and over and over. It is simply false! and I'm tried of people trashing VAIOs for this.

My recommendation for everyone is to never SHUTDOWN their VAIO but to instead RESTART it, and when it boots up again and you hear the Sony boot up sound, unplug the power cord or the connector to actually shut it off. I did this for the past 40+ days without any hitch and with my old VAIO back, starting every time reliably. In the time frame, I was able to not only reload a whole new Windows operating system with a newly purchased hard-drive, but I was also able to successfully install Ubuntu Linux as a dual boot. This just goes to show that these VAIOs still can work. It is just a matter of keeping the motherboard from going into hibernation mode.

Now if I can only get the ultimate solution to making it wake up again more quickly, so I don't have to wait another week to two years to use my VAIO. Anybody actually really know where the CMOS chip is? To be honest, this really does not make a whole lot of sense and just points to one of the many random things people have done to get their laptop to start again, when in fact there is something more simple that no one has yet pointed their finger on: How to keep the VAIO from ever hibernating! (one way to do this is to disable APC? in the CMOS setup screen; unfortunately, this doesn't really work). So I am asking for someone brilliant to provide a real and definitive answer for getting my VAIO to start up again on the flip of a dime! Real answers. Real solutions. Not a load of B.S., which doesn't work for everyone.

Jim Bo Sep 19, 2008, 11:13am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 19, 2008, 12:27pm EDT

>> Re: Sony Vaio PCG-Z600/505 won't power up
Just wanted to add that I found a red and black cable with a beige plug on the Z505 motherboard, located to the middle left near where the space bar of the keyboard would lie on top. I disconnected the cable and replugged it in. Then I plugged in the power supply and turned the power switch to on. The computer flashed its green light and gave a flicker of the LCD screen only to die again. I repeated this several times and got the same result without the computer turning on to boot up. I also tried shorting the pins across the beige connector and got the same result, thereby, keeping one from having to disconnect the battery. Based on these results, I have reasoned that there is indeed something amiss about the CMOS battery (VL2020). I measured 2.9 volts across it. I am not sure what the actual spec is supposed to be. I am still not sure that replacing it will fix the problem.

I still think that there is something amiss with a time-delayed hibernation mode. Disconnecting the CMOS battery simply lets the three LED green, orange, orange lights flash on, but the computer won't boot. I am still stuck waiting until it will magically start up again. In my honest opinion, I don't think the CMOS battery is the REAL source of the problem. I ordered a new CMOS battery VL2020 from DigiKey up in Minnesota. I also called the lady at Northwestern and got no reply from her but I did reach her lab. I am hoping that before I get my CMOS battery, the computer will start up again. I am still doubtful that the battery is the culprit. However, I wont be surprised if this fixes it since replacing capacitors and ICs have been so inconsistent with everyone based on what I have read.

Any suggestions?

Ivor Hewitt Sep 30, 2008, 09:47am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Does anyone know where it's possible to get a replacement AD3421 chip from?

Joe K Sep 30, 2008, 10:02am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello Ivor,

This chip is out of production at Analog devices. You can go to HK inventories and see if someone on the far east has these for sale..

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
John Smith May 19, 2009, 09:22pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Z505 Thermal Shutdown Fix
Some problems mentioned on this thread is a sudden shutdown of the system (no blue screen, no warning), then takes a while (for components to cool down and reset) before system will boot up again. THIS IS THE PRECISE SYMPTOM OF THERMAL SHUTDOWN. Meaning the cpu has reached a temp it cannot handle and therefore needed to shutdown quick before further damage.

Why is this happening now? A combination of factors: The heatsink compound is old and not dissipating heat as efficient as when machine was new; The fan is worn; AND there is a design flaw where the cpu is not in perfect flat contact with the heatsink thereby preventing heat dissipation. This would most likely happend to higher-MHZ machines, 650/750 mhz.

FIX:

Go the groups.yahoo.com, look for the 505 group. sign up, then go to the group's file area and download the documentation for Thermal Mod. It explains everything. Have fun and good luck!

To verify your work, run this very useful utility called MobMeter (google), before and after the fix. Also download CpuBurn. Your Z505 should throttle down when super-hot but NEVER shutdown.

Nhu Lieu Oct 11, 2009, 12:27am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I own a Sony Vaio PCG-Z505 and have faced the same problem as you all have since April 2007. At that time I search extensively on internet and found an article saying that it is due to some capacitors which became bad after time of used. The author stated that he fixed the problem by changing all those capacitors and also showed the way to do (with photos). For me I absolutely cannot do the same so that I have to buy a new notebook! 2 weeks ago as I already lent my notebook to my friend but unexpedtedly need one then so that I took it and fortunately it worked! Yesterday I tried to start it again but it didn't work until this morning it suddenly worked. I noticed the clock time: the last time I used iwas 25 Sept but I saw on the computer the date "30 Sept" instead of today 10 Oct! Then I also tried the trick as Jim said but unfortunately it didn't work. Now it sleeps as a winter bear and I have no way to wake it up. SONY doesn't help us. I give up again!

yosty . Oct 11, 2009, 03:14pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Sony Vaio PCG-Z600/505 won't power up (one for Tom and Joe) PROBLEM SOLVED
So I just wanted to give an update. Check my posts above on May 5 2007 for more info.

My laptop is still going strong after replacing the LT1255, LT1628 and the IRF7313 chips. This fixed my problem, which did NOT have anything to do with thermal shutdown. My laptop had died and all I would get is a power light for a few seconds or nothing at all.

You should not be REMOVING or shorting chips, capacitors, or diodes from your motherboard! They are very necessary.

If you want to fix your laptop get a multimeter or scope and check pin voltages to see what chip has failed. Then REPLACE the chip. A soldering scope is necessary to accurately solder the small pins on the 1628 and 1255 chips. If you have a steady hand you can probably do the 7313 without one.

You could also just look at the chip pins with a magnifying glass, see if the joints are bad.

My laptop is now 9 years old and I have never had to replace my cmos battery.

I posted the datasheets for those 3 chips here: http://boxwithlights.com/505/

Mark Thompson Oct 07, 2010, 02:14am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: (Solved) Sony Vaio Power Failure
My computer was recently repaired by a Sony Service Centre and the common Power Failure Problem frequently reported online has now been solved. This process took them over a year of frequent return visits, after they first reported the mainboard was old and needed to be replaced. This was not an option given the cost would be similar to purchasing a new model Sony Vaio.

After researching this problem online, I mistakenly believed a series of simple repairs were required, and Sony Service Centre was only too happy to oblige. After each repair, I then returned my computer, as the Power Failure Problem continued.

The unassociated repairs included:
- Replace fan
- Replace CMOS Internal Battery
- New Power Adapter
- Replace Power Jack Socket

The final repair which solved this problem was:
- Sony Service Centre soldered loose connections on the motherboard. The first attempt only temporarily solved the Power Failure Problem. The second attempt after returning it has competely solved this problem. It has been nearly 1 month now of strenious use, and my computer is unlikely to suffer any further problems. Sony Vaio Power Failure has now been solved.

Notes:
Prior symptons included: Blue screen errors, Power shutting off without warning, difficulty in powering up computer, over heating.

Durability: My computer is over 6 years old, and has streniously been used as a portable unit for international travel. It has been exposed to food, drink, and multiple impacts.

Repairs: It is important to take it to a repair centre where they are correctly able to diagnose the problem associated with the Motherboard. The most ideal time to lodge this for repair is when you are unable to power up the computer. Then don't collect your computer until they get it to power up again. Return the computer for repair if Power Failure persists. You only need pay service fee, as no parts need replacing. In my case although they threatened they would charge service fee each time (in China - 300RMB), they happily waved this after several repeat visits. Never deviate from solving the true Main Board problem. Always recommend in favour or re-soldering effected mainboard components.

I will report back here in the unlikely event I require any further repair, given this problem has now been solved.

Mark Thompson Oct 19, 2010, 09:49am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Reported Solved, Prematurely. The problem has re-occured after 1 month of hard use. Computer is being returned to Sony for further repairs.

Pablo Sadi Nov 20, 2010, 03:43am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Nov 20, 2010, 03:44am EST

I have this same problem my jog don't power up. Problem which also i have is witch my vaio vga card. When I enter to website where are a java or flash my card returns an error.
I don't know what to do. For example I try to to enter a beauty site in Poland [uroda] try this link: http://katalogurody.pl and on my computer site doesn's work.
I think the problem is with vga card.

Somebody know were i can find jog button software to vaio pcg z600hek?

John Rallis Dec 02, 2010, 07:07am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello and sorry for waking this ancient thread but though i've been repairing laptops for the past 4 years i never came through this "i'll boot whenever i want" problem. 3 days ago a client brought me a VGN-NR11Z (PCG-7Z1M) with the same symptoms. Once it boots it is stable as hell but after a shutdown it may take hours/days to turn back on while in the meantime it does not charge the battery but the power led is ON and when you press the power button again the battery led flashes too but no other response. Another weird thing that none of the posters in this thread seemed to notice is that if you leave the laptop in its hung state for a couple hours it will power on by itself (at least that's what's happening with the one i have here). It is really annoying though spending so much money on a vaio just for the pretty looks (and easy disassembly for me) and get wore off chips and capacitors after a 3 year use. I am going to try yosty's solution replacing those 3 chips and get back to you around christmas (delivery times US to greece are awful). In the meanwhile i am returning it to the owner suggesting not to power it off unless it is absolutely neccessary as it ran a 2hr benchmark without overheating/shutting down/restarting/hunging and continued to work for another 10hrs doing nothing.

I must have trashed a few laptops with the same issue as i was unaware of a solution other than replacing the motherboard (which most ppl won't pay for but rather buy a new laptop) but this is the first one that actually boots every now and then. I predict some of you are professional repairmen if you happen to have a list of known motherboard problems and solutions (other than VGA reballing and power jack replacing) mostly about HP, fujitsu siemens and sony laptops i'd appreciate some sort of guidebook. Contact me at info@pcware.gr , thanks.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.