Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1324 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 15 - 01:26am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony vaio won't turn on - no power, no lights at all 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>
joy domen Apr 29, 2008, 07:39pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony vaio won't turn on - no power, no lights at all
I thought I'd share my success with those that are struggling with my same symptoms... I have a Sony Vaio PCG-K35. It has had its issues with getting hot and I have had to change out the AC adapter plug at the back of the laptop (twice). Very poor design by Sony on this model. Anywho... I have a habit of putting my computer on stand-by quite a bit. I find it boots a lot quicker and I will occasionally do a restart through Windows to freshen the system. Software was working fine and I had restarted many times for months on end. I keep my charger in all the time (though I have to wiggle cord sometimes to ensure charger connection). I'm adding all this in just in case it's useful.

Well... I decided the other day that I should just shut my laptop all the way down since I wouldn't be using it for several days. That was a mistake. When I went to power up I hit the power switch and got no response. No lights, no fans, no nuttin. Okaaaay, check cables, wiggle AC cord, try a spare AC cord, do the whole "hold the button down for 15 seconds" scenario, remove battery and try to start with just AC.... nope, nuttin. I even removed the CMOS battery.

I thought about it a bit and found it odd that I had been able to repeatedly put it on stand by and could press the space bar to bring it to life, yet full shutdown, which depended on the power button itself, was not working. The button "clicked" just fine, but wouldnt' power up. I opened the top panel to inspect the power button and found that the little electrical ribbon tape that runs from the power switch to the motherboard looked mighty rough. One end had a crooked line run accross the connectors, like it got seated crooked at some point. I reseated it at both ends (several times). Still, nothing. I prayed to God my motherboard wasn't failed and dreaded the thought of my only copy of last year's taxes being on this computer.... As one last desperate attempt I unplugged both ends of the ribbon from the power switch and the motherboard and "rolled out the ribbon" (to reflatten), then swapped ends. Voila! Houston we have lift off!! Of course I'm not taking any chances shutting her down until I get my files copied and I am buying a replacement ribbon for about $25 bucks (which I found here: http://www.impactcomputers.com/1-830-249-11.html#). I still don't have any lights when it powers on, but I don't care, I have a working computer! Maybe the lights will work with the new ribbon?

I searched high and low on the internet for something about this ribbon tape and how to test it or check it. I didn't find much reference. This might be a common problem that's been overlooked? Maybe my experience will somehow help someone else. Best of luck!

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Natasha McKenzie Aug 06, 2008, 06:40am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a VGN-BX196SP that I have recently had to replace the keyboard on, since then it will not power on unless the top bevel (with the power button and finger print reader on) is umnscrewed, which then allows it to turn on. Another way to get it to turn on is to gently apply a slight twist to the the base near where the power button is and it will then power on with no problem. There is obviously a short somehwere near the power button, but darned if I can find it.
I will be advising anyone who is looking to purchase a laptop to stay well clear of the Vaios as in the past 2 months, I've had to return another 2 under warranty for inferior design defects, one has a developed a warped base, and it's less than a year old. >:o

Chetan patel Aug 27, 2008, 03:12am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Laptop just shuts off power completely and it is not starting again even my power cord is not working . I don't know what to do. Anybody over their to help.

I asked all my friends but none of my friend wiht laptops from other companies have this problem.

j c Nov 03, 2008, 10:19am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hi, i have a ASUS laptop, but now i have the same problem with Bonnie. It won't turn on. Everything was normal.It's a normal day today.
please help me..:(

thomas penna Nov 11, 2008, 09:52pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
What I did was spray a little WD40 on the battery connector (to computer), still didnt work. Then I took out all the screws from the bottom- couldn't figure out how to completely remove keyboard. plugged the battery back in and it worked.

probably WD40 on the connector.

good luck!

ps- no offense to pc users, but my experience with macs is that they are more solid, more reliable, faster & no internet dramas. well worth the extra $

Laptop Willie Nov 12, 2008, 02:58pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Nov 12, 2008, 03:17pm EST

Thomas,
As a practical matter I highly recommend not using WD40 on your connector. WD40 may, if exposed to a spark, catch fire and cause much damage to the laptop and the persons home. Please don't do it. Any time a power supply is plugged into something, there is a small amount of arcing. this spark can be enough to set the WD 40 a fire. AGAIN PLEASE DON'T DO THIS.

Laptop Willie
check out laptopwillie.com
Rolebama Nov 13, 2008, 02:54pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Few points I'd like to make: 1. Before buying a cable to connect a Notebook Hard Drive to a Desktop PC, determine whether it is IDE or SATA. These cables are not interchangeable, and a proper 44 to 40-pin adaptor doesn't have to have any pins bent. If it appears not to fit, just use a pin to remove the 'filler' from the female socket. 3. I have been around the engineering, motoring and electronics industry for years, well before the inception of WD40, and I, nor any of my colleagues, have ever heard of WD40 being a fire risk when used with low voltage electrics/electronics. Sparking of a connection, or 'arcing' is caused when current flow is interrupted, therefore connecting a plug and socket will not cause 'arcing' as there is at that moment, no current flow. 4. I have repaired too many Notebook computers where the solder joints at the AC connectors have failed because of poor soldering. Sometimes, just a little flux and a soldering iron are all that are needed.

Laptop Willie Nov 13, 2008, 03:36pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Nov 15, 2008, 04:46pm EST

Rolebama,
I have also been in electronics for many years. At last count over 50years. I have also repaired a many laptop with poor solder joints. Your assertion that sparking, (arcing) is an interruption of current flow is flowed. Arcing is the sudden rush of current caused by the difference of potential between objects. It could be thousands of volts or twelve. Nature wants to equalize the potential difference between the objects. The rush of electrons(current) is nature trying to equalize this difference.

As to the the WD-40. It clearly states, in big white letters,on the can I have in front of me that it is flammable. On the back of the can, is a detailed warning against such usage as is expained here. I do use WD40 for things around the house such as door hinges. I also use it on CPU fan motors. I first spray into a cup and use a small screw driver to apply it to the shaft of the motor. Using it as a spray, on electrical connections is most definitely a hazard. As stated by the makers of WD40.

Laptop Willie
check out laptopwillie.com
Vasant Dandekar Jan 10, 2009, 06:46am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have GRX 520. Won't turn on. No power, no lights. I tried every thing. resoldered the power - DC jack, changed cmos battery, resoldered memory slots, changed CPU, changed power cord still no power.

Does any one know what next I can do or which is the power chip do I need to change on the mother board?

Vasant

Johnny Was Jan 10, 2009, 10:34am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Had an issue with a SZ770, was working flaswlessly. Left it on for half an hour, so it went to sleep (or hibernate, idk). Could never wake it up, so pressed the power button till it turned off. Now it won't even show the VAIO sign at boot, but I think it is booting every time, lights respond and there's hard disk activity.
Last hardware action performed before the issue: changed the default mode Stamina to Speed (so it uses the 8400GS onboard instead of the Intel one) succesfully.

Already tried:
-changing charger and battery with a similar one (got another identical spare notebook)
-hold power button 15secs
-boot only with charger after a couple of hours of inactivity
-changed Speed/Stamina mode

Any help would be really appreciated! :)

Dan Garland Jul 17, 2009, 09:48am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a PCG-4F1M Sony Viao, which my dad gave me to fix. The hard-drive had failed, so I replaced it with a similar model from Ebay. However, after fitting the drive, I couldn't get the laptop to boot up- no power. No lights, nothing. In the end, I had inadvertently pulled out a ribbon that is found under a plastic panel underneath the battery. I unscrewed three screws, removed the plastic cover and re-inserted the narrow ribbon into the slot. After this, I was able to power on the device.

HTH

BRAD WINN Feb 10, 2010, 02:12pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Great thread, thanks for all the contributions. Like so many others, my computer was working fine and then it suddenly wouldn't power up. I tried the advice to unhook the power cord, remove the battery, and let it sit. After about a week, I reattached the power cord and amazingly it booted up (FYI...the battery was dead when reattached). At least this will provide me with an opportunity to perform a complete, current back-up prior to getting it serviced. There's still obviously an issue. It's only 2 years old (VGN-AR660U), so I'm not very impressed with Sony's ability to market a quality computer. They should stick to TV's and home entertainment systems.

TamTheBam Feb 10, 2010, 02:15pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

We all appreciate the comments and thanks at HWA. Glad our site could help you,
and give you the advice you been looking for!! :cool:

....I'm back, but only as a part-timer... :)
Diego Porto Mar 07, 2010, 10:07pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Guys,

My brother has a sony vaio vgn-fe770g, and he was at work when it suddenly switched off.
Since then it won't turn on... no lights.. nothing...

Today i dismantled it, i took off the cmos battery... memory, harddrive, processor.. everything!
Then 3 hours later i reassembled it. but still not responding...

The unique thing that i think it's a symptom is that i can hear a little "electricity sound" when i plug in the AC...

what should i do ?
i'll test the ac power tomorrow to see if it is sending 19volts

joy domen Mar 08, 2010, 09:48pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm not positive, but it sounds like maybe it just needs to get a good charge. Do you have another Sony battery to test it with? The connection at the back of laptop might not be good (internally loose) and therefore, even though you think you're charging, you're not. If that's the case, you might need to wiggle the charger cord to get it to charge. A lot of people have the problem of battery going so dead it makes you think something's wrong with the laptop. So, make sure you're getting juice first. The electrical sound is symptomatic of sleep and hybernation for Sony laptops. If nothing else, try wiggling the cord to see if the charge light comes on momentarily.

Good luck!

David Shelly Jun 15, 2010, 06:19am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jun 15, 2010, 06:34am EDT

Hi all,

I experienced a catestrophic shut down on a Sony Vaio. Would not turn back on, no lights or sound on laptop. Power supply light was working.

Reading another thread (http://www.insidemylaptop.com/take-apart-sony-vaio-vgn-fz220-r...ower-jack/) on replacement of the laptop's damaged power plug, I discovered an internal battery or CMOS battery, attached to the motherboard manages the power to the machine.

If you disconnect the small wired plug-in from the small set of batteries to the motherboard and reconnect them, it resets the power management system and allows power to the computer.

My guess is that the system was overheating and went into "self preservation" mode...and shut down.

I took the opportunity to blow out the fan area with compressed air. Then after reassembling the laptop, I plugged in the power supply and the laptop powered up and I selected "normal start up" of windows Vista OS.

Worked like a charm...and the fan does not have to run constantly now.

Hope this helps! - David

Diego Porto Jun 17, 2010, 09:45pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
few months ago i've disconected the cmos battery for few hours.. then got it assembled again... but it remains the same... no lights no sound... nothing at all...

Jon Bailey Jun 17, 2010, 10:29pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
to be perfectly blunt, if the laptop does nothing then its not going to have anything to do with the cmos battery.

have you tried removing the battery and running solely for mains supply?

"The world is a temple to the self, and these days, there's alot of believers"
Euler D. Graca Jun 19, 2010, 11:09am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jun 19, 2010, 11:12am EDT

My Sony Vaio VGN-FE660G has recently shown the same problem: would not turn on, no lights, nothing. Took it to a local repair shop and they told me the motherboard was dead. Dead for dead, I decided to take it apart myself. Fortunately for me, I found the problem and now my Vaio is back to life.

Here is what worked for me: I carefully removed the motherboard, then on the other side there is a small rechargeable battery. I disconnected the battery and let it sit for about 1/2 hour. Reconnected the battery, plugged in the power connector and applied power. It worked like a charm. My theory is that a bit of static electricity might have found its way into one of the control chips and made it behave erratically. By disconnecting the battery that circuit was reset to its normal state.

Hope this will be helpful.

Euler

carolyn lenton Aug 23, 2010, 06:37pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
We have a sony all in one LA2 pc. Put the pc on standby one night and next morning would not restart. Turned off and tried again to rebook. Just one beep and nothing - blank screen. Tried disconnecting from power and the same problem. Sent it in to repair centre and they say it is cpu and motherboard - repair cost 666!
1. Has anyone else had this problem with one of their desktops as opposed to laptop?
2. How can I connect the hard drive to another laptop to get to my files?
3. Read something about a linux puppy disc, but will this help if it is the motherboard and cpu gone?

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.