Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 589 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s August 22 - 10:12pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Windows XP, 2000, 98 /

"setup cannot copy file" error when installing windows XP 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, Next >>
Steve Moulden Mar 29, 2006, 03:36pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: "setup cannot copy file" error when installing windows XP
I found that if you wait a few (30-45) seconds, then most of the time the files WILL copy correctly after a failed file extraction. It seems to be a hardware issue with the memory speed of the RAM.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
moosa mohamed May 02, 2007, 05:47am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
that error come because you having a bad RAM. just trust me and change the Ram and try it again. that happens to me also and i try all the way, like changing every hardware.

Nathan Epley Jun 22, 2007, 04:44am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Excellent answers in this forum. For me, it was also a bad RAM module. Memtest86 discovered it right away, and once the offending memory was removed, installation went off without a hitch. If you are having this error, test your RAM first.

Scott Catanzariti Jun 30, 2007, 05:22pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks to everyone who posted in this forum about faulty RAM issues.

This problem plagued me for months. I bought a new MB and tried to do a fresh install on my system and started getting these 'cannot copy file from CD' errors. I bought a new XP CD, then a new IDE cable, then replaced the HDD and finally the DVD drive all to no avail as I attempted to follow the problem back to it's source. After reading through this forum I pulled out all the RAM modules except one. The install went through with no hitches.

Now all I need to do is figure out which of the other three RAM modules is the bad one.

Thanks, again.

Spikes Jul 13, 2007, 03:46am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Had the same proplem, until i googled the problem and i found out that many errors are cause by the ram and i changed my RAM and.....:) thats it..:-)

E-8400 3.00 GHZ Core 2 Duo,
Asus P5q,
2gb DDR2 RAM,
150 GB Hdd,
9600 GT,
22" LG Screen,
James Thompson Jul 15, 2007, 05:24pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,

I'm having a similar problem. I am trying to set up Win XP Pro on a system and am getting the same error messages "setup cannot copy file".

I have run memtest and it finds lots of errors but am confident that the RAM is ok.
I have tried with 3 different sticks of RAM, the one that is in there at the moment is brand new.

I have replaced the CD drive, the PSU and checked that nothing in the BIOS is overclocked but am still having the same problem.
I disabled the L1 cache and it seemed to work briefly but then would just hang on copying one of the files. I restarted the setup with the L1 cache re-enabled and it seemed to work....until after I entered the new user name etc I got a blue screen error IRQ_equal_or_less etc.

Anyone out there got any ideas? (other that destroying it with a hammer).

Cheers
James

Donovan McNeale Oct 15, 2007, 10:13pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Oct 16, 2007, 10:21am EDT

Ok I have this problem also and I am pretty sure that it is my ram that is bad. I have a laptop with 2gig of ram but I can only get to one stick. Does anybody know how to get the other stick out or where it is. Is my computer junk? Help. Oh I guess I should tell you it's a HP pavillion zv6000 with and AMD athlon xp4000 I believe
Thanks Don

Gerritt Oct 15, 2007, 10:18pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Donovan,
There is usually a access plate on the bottom of your Laptop that permits access to the "second" DRAM module, while the first one is on the MB.
If the failing DRAM module is the MB, then you'll have no luck at all.
If you remove the SODIMM through the access plate, then you may be able to replace it with an industry standard SODIMM that you can purchase and replace.

Gerritt

Ad Astra Per Aspera
(A rough road leads to the Stars)
We all know what we know, and everyone else knows we are wrong.
System Specifications in BIO
Donovan McNeale Oct 16, 2007, 10:25am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks. I actually did find it. After taking the whole computer apart I noticed that there was a silver cover below the keyboard and of course that was where it was at. So instead of taking the whole thing apart I could have taken off the keyboard which takes 8 screws and I would have been good. Removing that stick of RAM solved my problem. I should have known that was the problem this was the 3rd time it has happened on this computer. I don't know what crappy RAM HP uses but it likes to fail.
Thanks for the help,
Don

David Perrin Jan 05, 2008, 10:02pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks to everyone who posted on this problem! I fought it for an entire day until I came across this forum. Building a new system, kept getting the "can't copy xxx" error at random times when trying to install Win XP Pro. I tried everything, down clocked, PIO mode, you name it. Then saw this thread and tried running on one stick of ram. First stick had same error right away. Running only on the other stick, all went with no problems! Solution = BAD RAM !! Will be going back to get replacement in the morning :)

Thanks again for the helpful posts!!
David

John Everett Feb 24, 2008, 03:51pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 24, 2008, 04:00pm EST

I recently added memory to a customers system. That was about two months ago. Out of the blue I get a "Unmountable Boot Volume" error. I did the customary repair procedures, i.e., "chkdisk /r" and "fixboot", with no success. I replaced the Hard Drive and began loading XP. Then I begin to get file loading error, the same that are the subject on this forum. I tried several XP discs without any success. I remembered that I had added memory to this machine a while ago and replaced both sticks. BINGO. No more problems.

Marco Muolivas Feb 29, 2008, 01:29am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I had the exact same problem and tried different cd's, different cdroms, different hard drives, different IDE cables and just when I was about to give up I came across this site (that is pretty cool by the way) and read about trying different memory sticks. I decided to give it a shot. The system had two PC133 256Mb sticks, I replaced them with a single PC133 1Gb stick, I mention this because the system also takes PC2300 sticks. Since this is a sytem that I am rebuiliding for a customer no for my self, I pulled the 1gb stick out after the install was completed and put the old ones back in there.
Hope this helps.

Mark Celli Mar 26, 2008, 09:02pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My machine started to experience some very odd behavior about one month ago and I thought that perhaps a virus had slipped by my patched and secured (Spysweeper, ad-aware, Spybot, Norton, etc) machine. Backed-up all my files so this was more of an inconvenience HOWEVER I believed that the virus was replicating a .dll file upon rebooting. Not an expert at viruses, I suspected that the virus was still lurking in a file somewhere on the drive. Went through all the usual routines and encountered this file copy error when trying to reinstall WIN XP Pro. Bought a new harddrive, suspected the BIOS, bad install CD, etc. And then I stumbled on this forum. You all are the best!!! :)Turns out I had not one but two bad memory modules that needed to be pulled. As stated in other posts, once I yanked the bad modules, I was able to complete a clean install. As I write this I am watching automatic updates(all 90 of them!) download and install.

Again thanks for the input from this forum. It's communities like this across the web that rebuild my faith in what the true purpose of the web is for: communication and knowledge sharing across the globe. :)

Jason Small Apr 04, 2008, 10:33am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I just got a new computer from cyberpowerpc.com and am having the same issue.

The only difference is I used memtest86 and received no errors...

Brand new in the mail yesterday and am getting frustrated. Any suggestions?

john albrich Apr 04, 2008, 03:49pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Mark Celli said:
...As I write this I am watching automatic updates(all 90 of them!) download and install.....

Mark, you will save yourself a lot of time if now that you have your updates installed, make a full backup copy of the system disk. Next time you have a problem, you won't have to re-install and then spend a lot of time updating...you just load your backup copy and you're up and running in less than an hour. There are many backup programs out there, but my favorite is freeware DriveImageXML (available at majorgeeks.com, download.com, etc.)

It's also a good idea to make periodic backups. There are a number of articles on the internet on how to setup and follow a good backup protocol.

john albrich Apr 04, 2008, 03:59pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Jason Small said:
I just got a new computer from cyberpowerpc.com and am having the same issue. The only difference is I used memtest86 and received no errors.....

So....you got a bare-bones system and are trying to install from an official Windows install CD or something like that? Since you seem to have ruled-out memory, it would seem the major suspects are the media or the optical drive.

It would help to know exactly what you have done, what you have seen, what you are using, and what OS version you're trying to install...rather than depending on possibly inapplicable or misleading posted histories from other people. Sometimes the details can make a big difference.

Jason Small Apr 06, 2008, 11:19pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well just for everyone's future reference, I checked my memory (Buffalo D2U800C 1gig) with memtest86 and it gave me nothing. I replaced the hard drive and did a fresh install on a separate hd with my current cd. No problems.

Finally I just took out the sticks and tried again. Success. A word to the wise, don't depend on software to tell you about hardware problems, just take crap out and try again. Trial and error ftw

Shaun Moorcroft Oct 15, 2008, 11:05am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello everyone, and especially to those struggling with this problem. This is my first Post-Reply on this site...I know it's a fairly old post but it's also a frequent and common one on many forums; I know because I've spent days reading them!!! I began experiencing infrequent re-boots about 2 weeks ago. Then came the Page_Fault_in_Non-Paged_Area BSOD's. Then came messages about win32K.sys, Kernal errors, Fatal Errors... I tried most of the suggestions put forth by you guys (and gals), including reformatting, reinstalling, MemTest/MemScope (no errors! Hah!). Then today, I couldn't reinstall XP Home SP2 at all...unable to Copy files, NTLDR Missing, etc. So, I did what many of you said, I removed one of my systems' Crucial Ballistix 512MB sticks leaving just one in Bank A. Setup ran like a dream! (1/2 gig Ram - good job I'm not gamin'). Just goes to show, though!

Athlon 64 3700+
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
(now) Crucial Ballistix 512MB
XFXGeForce 6800GS XXX Ed
Maxtor Diamond Max 10 200GB SATA
Windows XP Home SP2 (and SP3 down and in)

Dana Crain Oct 29, 2008, 11:01am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
It's the memory, reduce your memory by half then re-install windows. It will go through and then you can put your memory back up to where it was after windows sets all back up. I have done this trick on 2 machines with success.

Daniel Jacob Nov 05, 2008, 03:24am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Nov 05, 2008, 03:25am EST

Hello,

it isn't always the Ram.
The are some "Special"-XP-CDs, as example take a Siemens-OEM-XP-CD. The XP Version just has the driver for the Hardware on wich Machnine it should be Installed.

This take me several Minutes, because my first opinion was also the Ram, but i was wrong :-(

And - a very less percentage of the problems resoults of a not right working CD-Drive (maybe to old).

As Admin i installed xp in all version(!) round about 200 times in my life - belive my :cool:

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.