Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 866 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 487.65 kbit/s April 23 - 05:11am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Windows XP, 2000, 98 /

"setup cannot copy file" error when installing windows XP 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3
E R Mar 02, 2009, 10:03am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: "setup cannot copy file" error when installing windows XP
An aftermarket videocard was my problem. I had a similar encounter with a brand new Dell Optiplex 320 which forced me to look this up. I found this site and am glad i did. I ended up switching out everything, Ram, CDROM, Harddrive,powersupply, and tried different CD's even new ones right out of the sealed envelopes, all with the same result. Then it hit me, this PC has an integrated video card AND a PCI-E Video Card, which we plan on using for duel monitors. I removed the aftermarket video card and just used the onboard video, and SUCCESS!!!! it went through the entire install without a single problem. I cannot claim to know exactly why the video card was the culprit but my guess is memory managment, since the videocard has 512mb of its own memory and the onboard card uses RAM there may have been a conflict there.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Pasquale Argenio Mar 11, 2009, 04:06pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a new Dell PowerEdge 850. Adaptec RAID card. Windows 2003 64-bit install is failing.

I tested the memory. Still "cannot copy file". Stumped for about a week now.

Pasquale Argenio Mar 15, 2009, 03:35pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Essential Information on "setup cannot copy file"
Well, I did some digging and came up with some vital information to help all of us through our struggles with the beast from Redmond.

First of all, let me say that I'm going right over to Alexander Roshal's Website and give him some money for the copy of WinRAR I've been using for free all this time. That was the key to this puzzle.

If you extract the .ISO file you are using into a folder, using WinRAR (I suppose you can use any similar program) and then start another copy of WinRAR and browse the folder you can see the .CAB files.

Some of the files I had trouble with were IMAPI.SYS which is in DRIVER.CAB and USER32.DLL which is (inside of?) USER32.DL_ -- and don't ask me to defend the MS buccaneers for their obfuscation. I don't know what a .DL_ file is or why it is needed, but WinRAR makes sense of it and shows you the underlying .DLL and best of all you can test the integrity of these archives.

Well you guessed it, when I right-moused and selected "Test Archived Files" on either of DRIVER.CAB or USER32.DL_ it came back reporting corruption. The .ISO I'd downloaded from my company's servers using the FTP that comes with windows:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ftp.exe

Bad idea! When I used SCP, then tested the CAB files, everything looked good, so I assume I have a much better chance of completing my install. Nothing about CAB files on the MS site that addresses this issue.

Can you tell I have an axe to grind? Anyway, I hope this helps some other poor fool forced to use this inferior and expensive software :)

Phan Dung Tien Tien Apr 16, 2009, 02:06pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
It's RAM! I have the same problem. I was tried some things like , replace CD, install from HDD, install from USB, everything no lucky!!! The final, read this topic I removed 3 RAM stick, using 1, It's OK! Thanks everybody!

ge jarrett Jun 22, 2009, 05:08pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jun 22, 2009, 05:08pm EDT

I had a very similar problem installing XP on my (ancient) ThinkPad 600E. I made and verified multiple copies of the XP disk, thinking media might be at fault, but no luck. Then I ran memcheck, no RAM problems. Disk checking programs, no disk problems. I also ran various Linux live boot CD's, which made me think the DVD-ROM drive was not faulty. The only thing that worked was to replace the lithium battery that powers the clock and configuration memory for the BIOS. (It was dead.) After I did that, install went fine. I thought I should post just to help any future searchers who have tried everything else on this thread... and give thanks to those who posted the advice above.

David Starr Aug 14, 2009, 02:14am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have the same problem with both of my sons computers a laptop and a desktop so i think my problem might be a virus because they go to the same sites or one boy uses the other ones computer now and then any thoughts?

Sundeep Puri Aug 26, 2009, 08:54pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Had this same error for a client of mine. Stumped me. I went through this thread. Turns out that the 1Gb DDR400 Transcend (DDR1) which was installed in Feb 2009 had become faulty. I tried changing the CD-ROM, new IDE cable.

This particular client has frequent power failures coupled with a faulty UPS which likes to reboot PC's.

Thanks a lot to everyone and this website.

paul jordan Nov 05, 2009, 12:27am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I had this same problem could not load win xp on new hardrive but i had changed ram prior to hard replacement of new hardrive which let me note pc was working fine at that time with vista and new ram installed however once i replaced hardrive I encountered major issues installing os I was p**sed with fruistration after many attempts to install I read the blogs at this site concluded it was the ram immediately switched out no problemo good to go I am sooooo happy we pc minded people seek each other out thank you all soooo much..God bless you !!!!!

Scott Yancey Dec 08, 2009, 01:48pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

I have a home build Intel D945GCCR motherboard and some months back I started to get an error "cannot copy file".... so I spend hours and hours on this thing trying to figure out what the problem was and I got nowhere. I Replaced the memory, CD Rom, hard drive, took out all pci componets, and nothing. I read your post and went into my BIO and just winged it by changing my Hard drive setting from Native to Legacy, and so far it worked. Windows XP is finaly installed.

Thanks for your help and I hope this post solves the hardware issue everyone thinks it is.

Joe Sargent Jul 21, 2010, 07:49pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
While doing an upgrade to my computer, I came across this same issue. After testing the hardware, I decided to exchange my USB keyboard and mouse with a PS2 keyboard and mouse. This was a last ditch effort on my part. It worked!

Mentioned previously, people were not having this problem with the Windows98 and WindowsME neither of which have USB native drivers in the OS. This may be why these would work when XP would not. Just thought I would share this information, thanks.

Vince Coccaro Feb 05, 2011, 03:07am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
It very likely is Bad Memory. After I replaced 2 Memory Sticks the problem was gone!

Keith Jones Mar 03, 2011, 08:05am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
A faulty CPU can also account for this mysterious repeating file copying error. I would expect CPU overheating might also be a cause. So definitely check for an improperly seated heatsink or bad CPU. I solved this problem recently after first thinking the problem was a bad memory module or a bad drive or possibly a motherboard drive controller problem, but it turned out to be a fried CPU. A replacement CPU instantly cured the problem. Strangely, MemTest86 and MemTest86+ did not reveal anything amiss even during a lengthy "burn-in" test where the CPU was necessarily in that test loop. Never the less, the CPU was fried with regards to its write to drive file copying processing. So if memory checks out okay and so does everything else, if last but not least, check the CPU.
That worked for me.

James Jones May 25, 2011, 05:10am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I would recomend trying the cheapest options first - try re-building with external usb cd drive first, then testing for bad memory, then new HD, then motherboard.
In my case it was problematic CD drive.

Gurminder Chana Jun 06, 2011, 04:09am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Increase the RAM voltage in the BIOS; it works.

Gurminder Chana Jul 14, 2011, 06:03am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Although higher voltages will place more demand on the CPU and generate more heat.

phred _ Sep 05, 2011, 06:46pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 05, 2011, 06:47pm EDT

Ha, thanks for this site! I have been going krazy trying to do a reformat after a virus. I was considering trying to flash the bios or something. I'd forgotten I'd added a 512mb stick of Corsair ValuSelect from Newegg a few weeks ago. Pulled it and XP installed just fine..

Previously, after installing the ram, I'd right clicked "my computer", looked at properties, and saw the stick was recognized. I'd assumed it was good at that point.

I'm confused. Should I put the ram back after getting XP squared away? It didn't seem to effect anything else, but I don't know that it was running any better either?

~thanks.

php gen Jan 02, 2012, 03:01pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I was having this same issue until i found this amazing tool

http://longpathtool.com/

Luis Pérez Oct 01, 2012, 09:38pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The RAM is damaged. Change it and the setup will be successful.
I had the same problem. The CD-ROM or HDD are secondary.

Alex Benitez Oct 04, 2013, 08:23pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
thank you thank you thank you thank you! I had WEEKS of hair tearing, stress-filled, redundancy ultimately getting no where trying to install different OSes and without ACPI and other things, but when I came across this post and tested my RAM and it failed, I took out one ram (512 mb) and XP installed PERFECTLY

thank you!!

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.