Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1196 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 13 - 03:43pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Monitors /

Gateway Profile 4 Monitor Problem 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Kenneth Rogers Jul 26, 2009, 02:32pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Jul 26, 2009, 02:38pm EDT

>> Re: Gateway Profile 4 Monitor Problem
Sad to hear. I have succesfully repaired many Profile 4 and 4.5 systems. The Profile 4.5 systems are farmed out to another computer support site, where they know very litte about the Gateway pruducts. The Gateway site will even dump you off to links that just do circles with no viable solutions or access to drivers for the higher ended Polaris MB . Since the over heating issues usually involves a burned out HV transformer at the top of the inverter boards, heat is definately an issue. Now I have been drilling two 1/4 inch holes in the back part of the LCD screen case at the upper and lower corners. This helps to let some heat out thats also generated by the CCFL tubes at the top and bottom. The metal case frame where the display is mounted had ventilation holes, but once the metal plate holding the motherboard was placed on it, the vent holes were all blocked. Even for that, I have had a few video chips get fried, and there is also the issue of swelled and blown caps just above the CPU socket. ALL these failed units have badly clogged fans too. Removing the heatsink fan assembly and looking underneath it, you will see a very thick blanket of dust, totally blocking the cooling fins. Every unit I work on, I always clean the fans, set the screen saver to power down in 15 minutes, then hybernate after 30 minutes. This shuts down the unit saving fan time and also prevents overheating when its sitting idling. On eBay, they still sell inverter boards, and I have repaired about 100 so far, and even sold some refurbished ones on eBay. Heat buildup inside is not just at the screen, but also very obvious for internal components to swell and blow. I replace the blown caps on the motherboards and in some cases, even the MOSFET chips that are also shorted. Removal of these big chips involves a very high wattage soldering iron to heat up the big base tab thats soldered to the motherboard. These MOSFET components were discontinued by their maker, but there are other makers for a substitute for the MOSFETs. This is true for the Harappa based Profile 4 and Polaris based Profile 4.5 motherboards. For me to fix these is simple and routine, and can bring systems back to life for a few more years. I even put SATA hard drives in the Profile 4.5 systems as they have a higher FSB speed at 800mhz, and SATA as well as IDE hard drive interfaces. I also install mini PCI wireless lan cards inside, with antennas that are positioned on the sides of the frame. There are small internal metal shields, one on each side, inside, these are removed to help signal strength for the wireless card. Still good systems, provided you are able to figure out what to do when they suddenly fail. :)

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
barb chesher Jul 26, 2009, 02:55pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Good luck, Gateway has been aware of this problem for at least 4 years if not longer, when my profile 4 when kaput i found sites online with literally hundreds of people who's pro 4 did the same thing, i junked mine when i found out having it fixed wouldn't help because the lcd inverter would just go out again due to design flaw and excessive heat build up. Gateway is garbage, tell everyone you know, not that it will help alot because Gateway has so many billion corporate, hospital, etc accounts, we're just the little fish they don't care a damn about.

Kenneth Rogers Jul 26, 2009, 03:06pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Because I buy bad ones, repair them, and sell them, I have not lost any money yet. I agree Gateway isn't the best brand, and the Profile 4 is poorly designed as to cooling. Not sure if you had seen the Profile 5, but they look terrible, and have hardware issues with the screen support. I have 3 of these waiting to be fixed and expect maybe only one out of 3 working correctly, after stripping missing and bad parts off the other units. If you know of anyone who has the bad ;)Samsung SIC850 or SIC850 A inverter boards, I buy bad ones for $10 each. The components on the inverters are hard to find, especially the HV transormers, which are two types, and one usually shorts to the metal shield that wraps around it.

Edward Mills Aug 21, 2009, 07:43pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
if anyone has any of these machine that you want to sell please email me, you can also contact me through aol im username ev3rcl3ar
ev3rcl3ar@aol.com

Kenneth Rogers Aug 22, 2009, 04:48pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Check out eBay as there are always many there for sale. I don't usually ship mine as its a bit costly over $40 usually. Instead I fix and sell at my garage sales. I now drill two 1/4 inch holes on the black portion behind the silver bezel, at the top left and right corners as well as at the bottom two corners. They allow air to enter and heat to exit. Just that little bit can help to prevent the inverters from cooking to hot. In most cases, the top two HV transformers will be the ones that fail, and its usualy just one of them that arcs through the insulation. I blame that issue on Samsung, not Gateway, as the display circuits are all Samsung parts.

Ricky Peters Oct 04, 2009, 06:53pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Bryan, I know you will say why am I working on this old machine:) but I have liked this design since the first day I saw it. Lust at first signt. Anyway, I had the same issue as everyone else regarding the LCD. I followed your step by step instructions for this work around,and it works like a brand new BMW I mean Chevy. Thanks for your post, and now, to replace the LCD will be the next challange. Thanks again,
RP

Kenneth Rogers Oct 04, 2009, 10:51pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Even an old LCD display that is bad, may have its back light lamps removed. These are held in by one tiny screw located where the HV wires come out of the display top and bottom. The lamps are VERY thin glass and are attached to a thin metal reflector. They slide out and can be inspected to see if they are broken. The ends of these tubes will darken like those standard flourescent tubes you see. Once they darken, they may cause an overload or shut down the HV from the inverter. I have about 10 bad displays here and they have ony the backlight lamps being salvagable. The actual displays are bad and either are all white or broken. One time inverters would fail as soon as they were powered up, and it ended up that one of the very thin glass tubes had a broken end causing it to short to the metal reflector. Now, I drill to three 1/4 inch holes at the outer corners of the black plastic on the back top and bottom corners of the displays. These added holes allow some heat to exit and ventilate the display area.

Kodi Palmer Nov 28, 2009, 01:39am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello. Obviously, I'm having the same problem with this Profile 4. I used one of the above posters advice, and unplugged the LCD Power cable in order to get an external monitor working. The problem is, when I have the external hooked up I cannot play any games due to my Nvidia Geforce440 being disabled.

So my question is; is there a way to start-up in normal mode without having to disable the Nvidia?

Kenneth Rogers Nov 28, 2009, 10:20am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I think its better to fix the bad inverter board issue as opposed to using an external monitor. The external option would also use the same Nvidia drivers as the video board 'properties' will allow the 'clone' of two displays, plus a few other display options. I have even seen a clear desktop on one monitor and all the icons on the other, if a specific display mode was selected. The game you are playing may not function with the 32 megs of video RAM, as many of todays PC games need at least 64 megs of video RAM. Even for that, 64 megs of video RAM is used with the deluxe version Profile 4.5 units, and isn't nVidia, but instead an Intel. There is no possible way to increase the main board video RAM by attempting to using the regular RAM thats plugged in by DDR modules. Additionally, older monitors tend to have display issues if pushed above 1024x768 resolution, as they cannot handle the higher refresh rates above 60 Hz..
What I do now is to drill a few 1/4 inch diameter holes in the top left and right corners, behind the silver bezel along the sloping black part . Also, I drill holes in the bottom corners to alow air flow in and out. To further help, I remove the conductive foam strips that are attached around the perimeter of the metal frame of the display. Doing so, will help the inverter boards heat buildup when it comes to shorting out due to excess heat buildup underneath the display panel. 8)

Sheila K Jan 30, 2010, 02:26pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Since it has been a while (back on page 4) since I posted the link to the service manuals download, I thought I'd repost it. It may be necessary to register a membership in order to download, but it's free; otherwise you may be able to download without registering by viewing ads.

http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=902768

mahkey mike Feb 21, 2010, 12:58am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Kenneth,
Would you know the voltages going to the genesis gm2120 board? Im trying to fit a mini-itx motherboard in the profile case, and want to reuse the lcd but need the voltages.Its a 5 pin connector, but it looks like one pin is not connected.Unfortunitly the polaris-5 motherboard is dead so i cant test with multimeter myself.

thanks

Kenneth Rogers Feb 22, 2010, 11:44am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sorry, I do not have any voltage info. For a dead Profile 4.5 MB and also the Profile 4, it is probably one of the MOSFET devices (small on the 4.5 and larger chips on the 4 models) that tend to short out, and is located under one of the three odd shaped, small heat sinks near the top of the board above the CPU socket on the Profile 4.5. Also, one or more of the larger chips on the Profile 4 model, usually with no heat sinks. I just had a similar dead Profile 4.5 that would not power up. I did use a meter to test each of the small 3 pin chips, after I removed their heat sinks. I found one of the 3 duplicate 'sections' had a bad MOSFET as it seemed to read almost a short, compared to the other two chips positioned nearby it. Under the heat sinks there are a total of three small MOSFET chips and two are mounted sideways, while the bad one I found was rotated 90 degrees with its 3 leads facing down towards the CPU. These are all 'tab soldered' to the MB, so a high wattage iron needs to be used to remove the bad one's big tab and its two soldered leads.The MOSFET chips were bought through Mouser with a MFG number of NTD60N02RG. Mouser PN 863-NTD60N02RG The markings on the actual chips on the board are D60 N02R. Once you locate the one that appears to offer much lower readings as to ohms, its usually the one that needs to get replaced. Sometimes these fail due to a swelled and shorted capacitor nearby too. I usually see many caps that are swelled and leaking, and some blow out at the bottom instead, where the goo inside leaks out over other nearby components. In any case, the device I replaced, made the Profile 4.5 board come back to life again, so I reattached the three heatsinks and used a very tiny amount of thermal coumpound on the top areas where the chips come in contact with the heat sinks. I also have an unusual Profile 4 here, that had its whole screen removed and a bigger 19 inch screen was attached to it instead. This was done by some cutting and cobbling. The bigger LCD uses a separate power supply and its video is connected from out of the back connector on the Profile. Needless to say I think this was done due to the fact that the original owner had limited knowledge as to what to replace if a back light inverter board fails. Because this backlight board is the most common issue on these (heat), I now drill 3 holes (about 1/4" diameter) on the top two, and bottom two corners of the black plastic frame just behind the silver bezel. If I also replace an inverter, I pull out all the conductive foam that also surrounds the display panel in the metal frame. All this helps to get the excessive heat to vent out, as opposed to cooking the inverters HV transformers..

Good luck!

mahkey mike Feb 22, 2010, 07:01pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks for the (rather long) but informative post Kenneth.I did finally figure out the voltages comming from the 5 pin lcd connector.Unfortunitly the pinout list i found for the special 13 pin video cable was not the right one so now i can power the lcd screen and get the diagnostic self test screen, but no video from video cards vga connector.I suppose you wouldnt happen to know the vga pinouts would you?

Kenneth Rogers Feb 22, 2010, 09:32pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sorry, I dont have any voltage pinout info. I do know that the video SCALER boards for the Profile 4 are different when using a 15" screen compared to a 17" screen. The actual video connection going to the back of the display panel has a shorter length connector used on the 15" screens. Not sure what your really trying to do here, but it would make sense to simply replace the bad part, as opposed to making a non standard part work in the Profile, or worse, get the Profile display to work on another computer type. In all my writings, I try to answer every single question posed and help if I can. Because even Samsung will not provide any tech help or schematics for these parts, its always a battle trying to figure out what is needed, and what would damage a component or display. Usually I look for the obvious first, then for things like shorts or opens.

mahkey mike Feb 23, 2010, 12:17am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Kenneth Rogers said:
Not sure what your really trying to do here.

Im building a touchscreen jukebox out of the profile 4 case, and trying to re-use the lcd screen.I already have a 17" 3M microtouch capacitive touch panel for the lcd ( type used in point of sale systems and kiosks).And i already have a dual intel atom mini-itx motherboard that fits nicely into the profile 4 with plenty of room.I was hoping to convert that 13 pin cable to a Dsub 15 pin vga (not all 15 pins are used) to plug into the mini-itx motherboard.I did some research and that 13 pin connection is analog and should convert to vga without a problem with the correct pinouts.

Simon Mouer Jun 23, 2010, 07:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
There are similar chains posted on TOPIX (search "Gateway Monitor Recall") and Blogsphere (?) that continues from 2004 to present -- so "early" monitor failure is not a new issue.

You can probably get your monitor fixed at Monitor Depot in Houston TX (http://www.monitordepotusa.com) for anywhere from $50 to $150, depending on the size of your monitor, plus shipping there and back -- but only if you haven't monkeyed with it first. I sent mine off for repairs and got it back in about a week.

Some bloggers are touting a class action suit against Gateway. My opinion -- if you are out of warranty, you are out of luck, and you will be wasting your money while enriching some shyster lawyer.

Most Flat Panel displays have a shorter life than the CRT monitors they made obsolete -- 2 to 4 years, and then will need repairs. Most of the short life can be attributed to parts failing from being overheated, and a lot of heat is generated by the flourescent backlighting. If you are going to invest in a new monitor, look for LED backlighting, which generate considerably less heat. LED (light-emmitting diodes) emit more light at far less wattage (and less wattage equals less heat) than do flourescent lights. Also look for monitors that have a three-year warranty, and don't consider those that only have a one-year warranty. While the LED monitors are more expensive, you will be money ahead in the long run.

I repaired my Gateway FPD2485w this time, but 2 to 4 years from now, when it fails again, I'll be replacing it with a 27" LED monitor with a 3-year manufacturer's warranty (There are none currently available.)

Also, if you have the Gateway adjustable-height stand that can rotate your monitor to profile view, then you have something worth keeping if you decide to trash the monitor. Most new stands are wimpy and not very adjustable. Just remember to unscrew the metal plate on the back of the Gateway monitor before you trash it. You will need that plate to attach your new monitor to the old stand.

Kenneth Rogers Jun 23, 2010, 10:55pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The issue here is this is not just a monitor problem, but the whole computer that is attached right behind the display portion. Originally the metal panel that holds the display and its scaler board, and backlight inverter had some means to ventilate, but once Gateway mounted the Samsung display portion to the back of the motherboard metal plate, all ventilation was blocked by metal. I just sat here today and watched this Profile 4, flicker and then go black again. I knew right off it was the inverter again. A half hour later it was back up and running with another refurbed inverter board put in. If this happens again, soon, I plan to replace the two CCFL assembles as they are probably drawing down power from the inverter board which makes it fail sooner.

Douglas Steinschneider Sep 09, 2010, 12:59pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
@Roy S.

Thanks for the idea of disabling the nvidia display adapter under manage pc - that got my client up and running fast on a secondary monitor on Windows 7.

I removed the stand from a Dell 19" we had laying around and fastened it to the unit with a couple pieces of plastic strap and some self tapping screws. Believe it or not it looks OK

Todd Hayes Dec 27, 2010, 11:23pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 27, 2010, 11:25pm EST

>> Re: Gateway Profile 4 Monitor Problem - Off Topic-Audio
See below, I messed up posting. Please reply to the post below.

Todd Hayes Dec 27, 2010, 11:24pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Gateway Profile 4 Monitor Problem - Off Topic-Audio
I recently bought 2 Profile 5 units, both exhibit the "Power Save" problem on a limited basis, one of the units has several bad capacitors, the capacitors on the other look fine, so I imagine it's a video inverter issue with each as well.

My main problem is I have no audio through the speakers on one of the units. The speakers do work, I tested them in the other Profile 5 that has working speakers. However, the rear 3.5mm audio output (for speakers) and the front headphone output both work fine. I checked the speaker connections on the motherboard and they look fine.

Is there a separate audio board that handles speaker output, that possibly went bad? Or perhaps the internal speaker circuitry of the motherboard is bad?

Rather unbelievably (after reading this thread), the computer works quite well, except for the aforementioned problems. I think the key to keeping these units working is to leave them running, albeit with a short period of time before monitor shut off and entering hibernation. Seems like once you shut them down completely, startup can be a problem.

Thanks for any info.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.