Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 994 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 28 - 04:32pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Windows XP, 2000, 98 /

Windows XP freezes at mup.sys, how do I fix it? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, Next >>
Drew Petrlak Oct 07, 2004, 09:20am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Windows xp freezes at mup.sys (etc.)
A lot of dialog, which might be helpful, BUT.....

I've had this problem while installing Win XP Home and Pro. I'll explain..

I'm working on my sisters PC and they decided after a the system crashed to try a New OS. They bought XP Home and had a problem during the install, (It took Hours).

My turn. Reformated the HD, and tried the install. It took hours. The only think hooked up is 1 HD, a CD drive, floppy, a Video Card, Modem & Ethernet Card. Nothing else. During the install process, I did not get any message inquiring about HD, drivers or XP certified, etc.

Mostly it won't boot. In safe mode, it locks up like the rest. I really don't know if the install is OK or Not.

By the way, I've done the Home install twice and I have the same problem.

I even grabbed another HD and tried on that one. Same deal. Reformatted and tried the install with a XP Pro OS. Same Deal.

Could it just be a software issue? Trying the Fresh install route, I can't imagine that one of those installs wouldn't been OK.

Thanks
I

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Mike Alba Oct 07, 2004, 10:52am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Windows xp freezes at mup.sys
Ok my friends I need help with this problem also, this has become a major problem for me. Any guidance will be extremely helpful. I have reformatted my HD 6 times already and after about 20 min my system freezes and when I reboot system hangs at mup.sys. I have entered the recovery console and disabled mup.sys but then I get a hang on nv_agp.sys. I have pulld out most of my hair...I have tried every solution possible to no avail. please anyone help me out.

AMD 2800+ (barton)
Asus A7N8X-E
Corsair XMS 3200 512 400mhz X 2
160 gig SATA HD
60 gig IDE HD
Gainward Nvida 5700 Ultra

Shane Wood Oct 07, 2004, 07:57pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
This can be caused by a known problem in Service Pack 2 for WinXP and Intel Prescott processors

http://cquirke.mvps.org/sp2intel.htm

I found this tool and ran it.

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/download.asp?url=/3...eng/fidenu
31.msi&ProductID=441

and it found the following
Level 2 cache 1MB
CPU Revision 0

I was unable to get a bios update for my motherboard so instead I made a fresh install of WinXP and copied the update.sys file to c:\ and renamed it update.bak

I then installed SP2 for WinXP and as usual the system couldnt boot back into windows.

I went into the recovery console using the XP CD then copied the update.bak file I created back into its original location
(c:\windows\system32\drivers)

I deleted the update.sys that was there
Renamed update.bak to update.sys
rebooted

Its all running again :)

I am concerned that making this change may affect future updates of the OS but Im continuing to harrass tech support to provide a bios update to fix the problem.

Essentially the problem stems from the Level 2 cache only being 1MB and this being incompatible for SP2's network security functions. Disabling the Level 2 cache apparently works as well altthough your PC will be so slow you'll end up throwing it out the window.

Hope this helps some of you.

Predator Oct 08, 2004, 03:57pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I think its reformat time.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
DFI LanParty UT nForce4 Ultra-D

New Forum: http://www.cyberitforums.com
Predator Oct 08, 2004, 03:58pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I think its reformat time.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
DFI LanParty UT nForce4 Ultra-D

New Forum: http://www.cyberitforums.com
Drew Petrlak Oct 12, 2004, 09:28am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ok, while this thread and others seems to blame 'MUP.SYS" on some networking issue, I have seen others that say it's more related to hardware, etc.

Based upon my experience, I have to believe its the later.And it may have to do with Serv Pack 2, as well.

The machine in question initially ran into problems while doing a Serv Pack 2 update. Basically the machine got hosed. To try a workaround and save the data, we decided to do a fresh install on a DIFFERENT HD.

That's when we ran into the MUP.SYS issues. We didn't have a Restore file to fall back on, nor had we mapped to any networks or network drives, etc. We couldn't get that far.

I tried XP-Home, and when I got to the Serv Pack 2 update, I ran into a problem. (Now I've been successful on Serv Pack 2 on other machines, so I really wasn't hesitant.)

Reformatted and tried XP-Pro. Same situation, in the middle of Serv Pack 2, I would get a hang up. After a control-alt-delete reboot, I could get to safe mode and find it's our friend "MUP.SYS"

Suddenly I got an error message which pointed to the ATI Rage Video Card. I started chasing some of those details and found some info on drivers for that card, and how they were on the MS-XP OS Cd. (Humm, I'd guess that all of those drivers were WinXP certified)

Trying to update the driver did little or no good. Changing the video card DID.

Since this was an e-mail / internet only machine, a trip to my friendly store to buy a used, cheap card solved my problems.

I'd suggest that there is some bug relating to some older hardware. Maybe that should be checked, as well.
it was

Steve Vickers Oct 14, 2004, 04:26pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
heres a possible solution....

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=824288

Unfortunately Mup.sys is one of those critical system files that can either randomly break, or break due to an unexpected system change (i.e. a virus). If safe mode freezes at mup.sys it is a fair indication that this file has been corrupted.

It is possible to get around this by booting into safe mode with a command prompt, then hitting alt cntrl del and selecting "new task" then typing in "explorer" (minus quotes)

Through this interface it is possible to run legacy devices such as regedit or msconfig to see what precisely is going on.

The bad news, however is that the only real remedy to fix this file is to reinstall windows

Asus A8N32-SLI DELUXE MOBO w/AMD 64 4000+ CPU
(2)BFG 7800 GTX OC 256 DDR3 GPU PCI-E
4 Gigs Corsair CMX1024-3500LLPRO
160 Gig Maxtor Diamond SATA 7200 rpm
2 Dell E193FP 19" LCD's
Memorex DVD/CD R/W
Memorex CD/RW
Steve Vickers Oct 18, 2004, 02:30pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have been researching this and there seems there is many reasons why this happens, I have found a simple work a round though but am not sure if it "fixes" the problem.

1) Boot off the XP CD and enter the "recovery console"
2) type "diasable mup" and hit enter (with out quotation marks)
3)reboot normaly and should work.

Asus A8N32-SLI DELUXE MOBO w/AMD 64 4000+ CPU
(2)BFG 7800 GTX OC 256 DDR3 GPU PCI-E
4 Gigs Corsair CMX1024-3500LLPRO
2 Dell E193FP 19" LCD's
Memorex DVD/CD R/W
Memorex CD/RW
William Gaebelein III Oct 19, 2004, 04:19pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I tried all of the solutions for this that I could find and only one of them worked for me.

Boot with your Windows XP Disc and select the R option for the System Recovery Console. Once you're logged into that simply run chkdsk /p on C:\ and it'll apparently fix some "security descriptors" that a "technician" of some kind did on 4 PCs that had come into him with this exact same problem.

This is the original thread: http://forums.devhardware.com/showthread.php?t=7537&page=4&pp=15

SCH L Oct 22, 2004, 04:58am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Oct 22, 2004, 04:59am EDT

>> Re: Windows xp freezes at mup.sys after installing Service Pack 2
This was what happened to me.

Intel Celeron 1.33Mhz
Windows XP Home Edition (updated except for Service Pack2)
256 RAM

Downloaded SP2, installed it. All ok until I restarted. The PC began loop booting at MUP.SYS

I used the WinXP boot Cd, went to Recovery Console. Followed the steps given by Microsoft knowledge base to remove SP2, did ok. Restarted BUT still loop booting again at MUP.SYS

Then, I followed the instructions here, disabled MUP.SYS at recovery console,. Still no go. My PC started loop booting at VIAAGP.SYS. Frustrated, I downloaded a newer version of the driver, replaced the existing driver, and still loop booting at VIAAGP.SYS.

Also, I did the chkdsk command at the console as well. No help.

Well then, I tried something else. Started with boot CD, then at the WinXP setup, I chose Windows XP Repair instead of Recovery console. Which means, re installing WinXP but keeping all your installed programs, settings etc. Took about 40 minutes.

After restart, it was back to square one. Win XP started with no problems but with no updates and no SP2. So, on with the updates again BUT definitely without SP2..

There you go. SP2 is bad for PCs older than 6months (in my opinion), which bloody sucks big time.

Joe Wilson Oct 28, 2004, 03:04am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello,

Had this problem recently on a computer running XP Professional. Unfortunately all the .nls files in the system32 directory got deleted causing havoc. System would not boot, I could not gain access to the recovery console as I did not know the administrator's password. However, I noticed that XP Professional was running on Fat32 therefore used a Windows 98 Cd to boot up and gain access to the system through dos (thanks Win 98). Tried undeleting the files from the recycle bin to no avail. Copied the files from the Win XP Home disk that I had access to and expanded them to c:\windows\system32. The system was no longer saying that C_%%%.nls was missing but would constantly freeze before showing the boot up screen. Tried loading safe mode and found that it would freeze at mup.sys.

Tried everything on the net to no avail, deleting Mup.sys, copying mup.sys from cd to disk - nothing worked.

Had access to a fully functional Windows XP Home edition. Copied all the files in the c:\windows\system32 and c:\windows\system32\drivers folder to a cd and copied those files over the top of the files existing in the c:\windows\system32 and c:\windows\system32\drivers folders on the XP Professional machine.

Found that the system returned to normal, booting back up first time.

Try that if you want, worked for me.

Remember some files are active when windows is loaded therefore trying to copy all folders under the system32 directory will not be possible. You should only need the files in the system32 and system32/drivers folder.

I don't take any responsibility for any problems arising from trying out this method so make sure you backup all the files before replacing them, just in case it does not work for you.

I am also aware that XP Pro should normally be running on NTFS therefore you may not have the luck that I had of finding an XP Pro edition on a Fat32 file system, hopefully you have access to the recovery console.

Joe.

sandy7m Oct 28, 2004, 03:51am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi guys

This MUP.SYS file is only used by XP during boot up. Is that correct?

Cos if XP makes a call MUP.SYS after bootup, (say maybe 10-15 hours later), to do some other inocious task, then this might be the problem I am experiencing when MY laptop locks up.

There is nothing surer then death, taxes and crap from Windows XP
Rod Alderton Nov 18, 2004, 03:12pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have had this problem. It started when the upgrade to Win XP SP2 failed.
The only solution I found was to reset the CMOS. Once this was done, it worked instantly.
However, to reset the CMOS, I was required to remove the CD/DVD, HDD and RAM.
So it may have been the re-installing of the hardware or resetting the CMOS.
Whatever it was it worked.

bonfire-db Nov 18, 2004, 03:24pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I used to have this problem with a copy of XP Pro. Using another computer, I copied the XP disc WITHOUT MUP.SYS. When it installs, it comes up with a file missing error. Press Escape and the install continues. This is what I have been doing since and I have never had any problems at all.

-----------------------------
Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz
Asus mobo
4x2GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 @ 1700MHz 9-9-9-27
Sapphire Radeon HD5870
OCZ Agility 3 120GB, 2x640GB WD Caviar Black RAID 0
Firas Darweesh Nov 24, 2004, 05:06am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I had faced like this problem befor and the solution is very simple..

for me I just had changed the IDE 80 conductor...with another 80 conductor...and it still working fine
it sames that some manufactores...doesnt make cable with standered specifications that all...

so the problem doesnt relate to the file driver ,Ram ,HDD,Xp edition
it just cable specifications

Firas Darweesh

COLIN WILLIAMS Dec 04, 2004, 02:28pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I want to confirm that this seems to be a motherboard issue. I tried every method posted from disabling mup.sys, to taking everything out but the video card. Nothing worked until I removed the CMOS battery and left it for a few hours. I put the battery back in and it booted up without a problem. I don't know how this differed from loading the fail-safe settings from the bios, but it worked where everything else failed. Hope this helps...this was the most frustrating 3 days I have had with this system.

sandy7m Dec 04, 2004, 09:06pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I suppose some of you will have read by now that M$ have owned up to problems with XP in relation to some types of motherboards/CPUs.

Needless to say, M$ repsonse has been pretty lame in that they are expecting manufacturers to put forward solutions to these problems. From what I can gather from the article the solution is simple. Do not load SP2 on to your machine unless done by a professional ("paid for" service).

For those who have not tried SP2 then I will tell you that it at first seems pretty neat as it effectively blocks all the spyware and mallware that plagued the earlier versions of XP. The downside however is that SP2 is itself buggy and also sometimes slows my machine down to a crawl. Add to that the fact that I seem to be getting attempted attacks by spyware again so the pestware writers have moved on to the next stage of the battle.

If you want any more convincing then I can offer this piece of information. I work for a huge multinational and as of last week the guys in our IT department have been told to stop the rollout of SP2.
(I imagine they are waiting for SP3 to sort the bugs in SP2)

PS There is a good article about the SP2/Motherboard debacle in the Computer Active magazine issue 176

There is nothing surer then death, taxes and crap from Windows XP
Chris Rico Jan 08, 2005, 10:15am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey guys really need help!!!! I have a XP PRO machine working fine and i have access to anothe machine an another xp pro disk. The problem is i have a 80Gb SATA HDD so when i run the recovery console it doesnt find a hard disk even though i have installed the SATA Motherboard drivers off floppy by pressing F6. I needed alittle mopre knowledge on how to copy the file please help guys email or post here if u have a answer

chrizza_rico@hotmail.com

Scott Steely Jan 09, 2005, 05:54pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have never had this problem personally but I did do a little research; mainly what mup.sys does for windows … here is what I found:

1.)MUP stands for Multiple Uniform Naming Convention Provider (MUP)
2.)Mup.sys is primarily used for when two or more different types of network clients are used and helps them communicate between each other. Ex. NT Client and Novell's intraNetWare Client.

And before I plagiarize any more here is a link explaining it in more detail: http://www.windowsitpro.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/3127/3127.html

- hope that wasn’t too redundant

Kevin M Jan 17, 2005, 03:08pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> mup.sys - I may have found an answer!
I have been running into this mup.sys problem a lot lately. I was successful with one comp. when I disabled the file using the cd and the repair mode.

I am working on another comp. that is having the same problem. I did the same thing with the mup.sys file as above... no luck.. I then disabled the next two files that the comp. was hanging on.. no luck.

I finally decided to enter the bios and set it for the low or default settings.. bam! I am in! But.. I have not gone back into the bios to start turning things back on yet.

My suspicion is that it has something to do with xp sp2 and USB 2.0. I have read other post that have mentioned that taking out a USB 2.0 card cleared the problem.. I have no USB 2.0 card but I do have USB 2.0 built on the motherboard!

On another comp, I did a clean install of XP, loaded all updates and the updates for the updates, loaded office, then loaded all other programs. Also, I loaded the newest video and MB drivers right after doing all of the updates. This comp has been working fine.

So what do you all think?

Thank you,

Kevin

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.