Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 665 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 15 - 04:35am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Windows XP, 2000, 98 /

Windows XP freezes at mup.sys, how do I fix it? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, Next >>
David Good Oct 21, 2005, 01:28pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Windows xp freezes at mup.sys
Ok, I've read the entire thread and don't feel so alone. :) Yesterday, my computer was having a hard time reading a cd and sometimes explorer would freeze up, but I was able to kill it ok. Finally, while trying to read the same cd again, I couldn't get the computer to eject the cd either by software or pressing the button on the cd drive. I thought that a reboot would fix all of my problems. That was NOT the case. Now, XP (Home SP1) loads mup.sys and then reboots without a BSOD.

I've tried:

Replacing mup.sys in c:\windows\system32\drivers and c:\windows\system32\dllcache with the mup.sys from an XP Home w/ SP2 install CD. After that didn't work I started thinking that it might be more of a hardware problem (as this thread seems to point to hardware rather than software).

Removing the battery and clearing the cmos. (Now I get this annoying message about cpu fans not working that has never been there. The motherboard uses a fanless heatsink from the factory!)

Reseating all cable connections and memory.

Disconnecting the secondary IDE cable with the CD and DVD drives and booting with just the HD and floppy.

I try resetting the ESCD in bios at least once after every iteration of the loop.

Booting into Safemode yeilds the same results as trying to boot the standard OS.

I can boot just fine into the XP recovery console. I can also boot into Mepis live linux and peruse the HD no problem.

Any other suggestions? Thanks for your time!

HP Pavilion 515n
2.3GCeleron, 256M Ram
Win XP Home SP1

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
m k Oct 23, 2005, 07:01am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hi there
when booting into win xp prc my comp
restarts attempting to load mup.sys

I feel it may have to do with bios battery because
I left it unplugged for 3 months and battery may have
gone low.

what do you think will be the best way to sort
this problem out? just replacing the battery or
resetting the CMOS and removing cables as well?

I have Athlon 2000 XP + on asus motherboard

I'd appreciate any feedback
michael

m k Oct 23, 2005, 07:03am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Oct 23, 2005, 07:04am EDT

>> double post
double post

JP F Oct 28, 2005, 11:16am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I seem to be having the same problem as David Good above.

It started when I installed the XP critical updates on, sadly, my boss' machine.

I don't know what updates I installed. It reboots with no error just after displaying "mup.sys" on the Safe Mode screen.

I have:

mobo: Asus P5GD1-Vm
Seagate: SATA-Drive
No cards installed
A DVD Drive
A CD-ROM drive

Luckily my boss is on vacation. He gets back on Tues.. HELP!!

David Good Oct 28, 2005, 12:19pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Here is what I did to recover my computer:
I booted with an XP Home CD and chose Install New. Then XP will search the hard drive and find that windows is already installed. It will ask you whether you would like to repair that installation or start fresh. Choose repair. Then XP will reinstall the entire operating system like it was a new installation, but doesn't wipe out your hard drive.

This process took about 35 min like installing a fresh copy does. When it is finished, you will find that when you boot up, all of your installed programs are still there and your desktop is the same as well. Now, I'd recommend backing up everything before you do something like this, because there is ALWAYS a risk that you will lose data.

Additionally, since I'm running a desktop, I turned off an option for some type of power management (APCI?) just to be on the safe side. It seems that XP would scale down the amount of power that it uses from the system, and the system would reboot from power starvation. I say this because now when XP boots, you hear the fans and hard drive spinning a full speed and when the XP load screen finishes, the computer gets quieter, but doesn't reboot.

I really don't know what happened, and my fix was clumsy, but I'm now up and running on my system just like I left it before all of this started.

I hope that this helps you.

Mike Clatworthy Oct 30, 2005, 01:03am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well the freezing at mup.sys has happened on a PC I built a couple of years back. It had been running with no problems until recently. If booting normally it just stays on the winodws boot up screen for at least an hour and then reboots. If you try safe mode it freezes when trying to load the device drivers. mup.sys is the last one it shows. However when I disabled mup.sys in recovery mode it appeared to freeze on ndis.sys then. I tried full disk recovery by plugging the HD into another system to see if any viruses were there - none. After messing a few drivers showing in listsvc such as redundant AVG drivers and the like I hoped it would boot. Still nothing. So I opted for the last chance saloon - Reinstall Windows by recovery.

This threw up an interesting BSOD then. It showed "driver irql not less or equal with ndis.sys".

This meant that there were IRQ conflicts within BIOS. The system has a Gigabyte GA-7VT600 1394 motherboard running an Athlon XP 2800+ with 512MBof DDR2700.
The BIOS allows manual assigning of IRQs for the 5 PCI slots. Of course, the default is to leave them all on AUTO and let BIOS/Windows assign the IRQs. I manually assigned them and on reboot WIndows carried on with the installation with no problems. Problem solved! The daft thing is that there aren't any PCI cards installed in the system except for a Geforce 4 fx5600 card in the AGP slot!

ken schwartz Nov 03, 2005, 09:12am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
how do I make a copy of the sys.mup and put in into the recovery console. I do not know what the recovery console is. I do have the cd. Is this sys.mup a hardware or software problem
thanks, Ken

David Good Nov 03, 2005, 11:07am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Here's how the process works:

1>Start the computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.
2>At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to repair, and then press C to start Recovery Console.
3>At the C:\Windows prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
ren c:windows\system32\drivers\mup.sys mup.old
4>At the C:\Windows prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
expand <cd-romdrive>:\i386\mup.sy_ c:\windows\system32\drivers\mup.sys
5>After the file is successfully expanded, type exit, and then press ENTER to exit Recovery Console.
6>Restart the computer.

It didn't help me fix my problem, but some other people calimed that it helped them. I personally recomend the following solution found at http://www.computing.net/windows2000/wwwboard/forum/41160.html

"To fix this problem, boot up with the Windows XP Cdrom, choose the option to setup XP, when it highlights your Windows XP partition, choose R to repair XP. Let it run, it would reboot your Machine once. By the time it is finished you would be able to log back into your PC. with no errors or blue screens............... I hope this is helpful. I had the same problem, and this is how I fixed it."

This worked for me.

Good luck!

Jim Runkey Nov 03, 2005, 02:15pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Or the problem could be caused by about 538 other things, most of which are hardware related and have been mentioned throughout this thread.

Rob Walker Nov 06, 2005, 07:05pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well thank gore for inventing the internet so I find this forum.

I sat on the telephone with some foreign country for over an hour trying to explain this problem. That tech agent had me even replace my monitor which I knew was fine, but you know how those techs get.

Anyway, on to the problem:

I tried to turn the computer on and it gave the C;\windows\system32\config\system is missign error. I thought well ok. I'll just get into the recovery console and repair it.

I couldn't get into anything. The only error that I could get was the above line or that setupdd.sys was missing. Most of the time I could not even get the monitor to stay on since it would wait around for a signal then go to sleep after a minute or so of no communication from XP

I zapped the power tho, (on HP systems you hold the power button in for a minute or two and all those lights on the motherboard will go off).

Anyway, changed the BIOS back to all BIOS defaults and that would allowed me to reboot. I chose Recovery Console: R option

Your system will ask you for the Administrator password. and you should next see the prompt. Now you have to do the refresh on the registry (which when you have a mup.sys hang or you see the error C:\Windows\System32\Config\SYSTEM error you generally need to complete).

Microsoft has a better explaination than me:

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;307545&spid=11...mp;sid=156

There is a lot to do so follow it closely. and here is an interesting link too:

Apparently, some poor users experience this error a lot. Microsoft has a hotfix for this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318159/ It's supposed to be in Windows XP SP1 but obviously 15 pages on the Forum here indicates a continued problem ...

Good luck folks!

Rob Walker

steve rothman Nov 07, 2005, 02:51pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
This thread was very helpful to me.

I have an HP DC5000MT system, only about a year old, and it's been running fine. I restart it every week or two for various reasons, otherwise it runs 24x7. This morning when I restarted it did the multiple restart at mup.sys thing.

Based on reviewing this thread, I started it up on my XP CD, went to Recovery Console, and did a checkdisk /r.

When it restarted it said something was wrong with the registry but was fixed automatically.

Now it seems fine. If the problem shows up again I'll look at the HD more carefully and maybe the BIOS.

But for now, I'm leaving well enough alone...

Rob Walker Nov 07, 2005, 03:02pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Steve,

I actually think that your discovery is right on the money.

If people experience power outtages or someone using their computer routinely powers off without shutting down, errors can become quite common on their drives.

This is especially true if they have Write Back Caching Enabled on the Drive in Question (people can check that in the properties of the drive as listed in the Device Manager).

If you experience a lot of power outtages, disable write caching there.

Happy Computing!

Rob

Dennis Hughes Nov 08, 2005, 12:32pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My son is currently wrestling with a customer's laptop (XP SP1) displaying the same symptoms :(

I have read this thread from the start and have been relaying some of the "fixes" to him to try. However, there are a few slight differences that he has to overcome and if any of you have any further ideas they would be most welcome.

1. The problem drive has been imaged and a clean install of XP SP2 installed on the laptop - and works perfectly, which suggests that the problem is software rather than hardware related(?). This appears to be at odds with the general consensus.

2. The customers drive has to be repaired rather than clean installed. Apparently there are some programs installed for which he no longer has the installation disks.......

3. The BIOS has very little functionality, with few settings. Power management not available to set/reset.

4. Things he has tried:

Letting the laptop boot up overnight - no solution.
Repair installation (but with an SP2 disk) - no solution.
Manually copying system32 and system32/drivers files across - no solution
Repair through MMC - recoverying the registry from /repair - no solution
Repair installation from XP SP1 disk - in progress.

Any help at all would be gratefully received - he's gradually going mad......

Dennis

Dennis Hughes Nov 08, 2005, 03:47pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
As a follow up (I'm Mark - his son!!)...

The laptop gets into Windows, but with a black screen, a cursor (which CAN be moved) and nothing else. No keystrokes or anything work, not even control&alt&delete.

Hard drive activity does occur - quite a lot in fact - but the laptop can last for a few hours without doing anything (apparent anyway).

I have a wonder that it could be a 'hook' on programs running (that is, whenever a program tries to run another program is told to run, a virus or perhaps a null/missing/dead program). Don't know what anyone else thinks?

Thanks for any help in advance!
Mark

Jim Runkey Nov 08, 2005, 04:12pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
For what it's worth, your are seeing a different signature than the one that started this thread. This thread mostly deals with an apparent hang at the WinXP splash screen (animated dots run a very long time or forever). You are getting past that point, since you see a cursor you can move.

I don't know that I have anything helpful to offer. I know that my machine kicks off several background system services while idling at the user login screen (Remote Desktop, for instance); I don't know if that process actually begins before the login screen gets painted. Can you boot into Safe Mode? If so, perhaps you can review the list of system services tagged to launch at startup (via Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management, then "Services and Applications" -> "Services"), and set the Startup type for any unnecessary / suspicious ones to "Manual" or "Disable" to see if that solves the problem.

Good luck,
Jim

Rob Walker Nov 09, 2005, 04:39pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
To the Son:

I just resolved the issue you describe for my sister's HP Pavillion.

The most likely problem is a corrupt registry. If that is the case, you may get the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYStEM is missing error ...

Even if you don't Im willing to be that is the problem that you are experiencing.

When I was troubleshooting the issue, I could not get XP to boot, even with the CD. The problem was that even when you power down there is still power going to the hardware (at least on desktop machines) via the power supply.

I would suggest removing the batter and the power supply from your client's machine and following any instructions for zapping the the system. On the HP you hold the power button in for 2 minutes to drain residual power from the board.

Once the power is gone, replace the battery or power supply and boot from the CD .. this should give you the opportunity to (R)ecover. Whether this is a destructive recovery (meaning it formats the drive and replaces all software to original installation is manufacturer dependant on some machines).

The HP recovered but then continued to have registry problems, so I backed up everything and did a destructive recovery. Your situation may be different.

As for the the real cause of this problem. The above posts are correct in the problem being hardware related. IT ALMOST ALWAYS IS.

Microsoft's site lists hard drive, motherboard, cpu and RAM as the likely causes. (I only found this out because when one of the errors in XP came up I did the unthinkable and reported the issue which came up with a blame page -- Microsoft loves to tell us when its not their fault).

At any rate, I would suggest letting your client know that they have either developed the extremely bad habit of turning their machine off improperly or they have a fault in hardware. Diagnosing hardware problems can be accomplished with one of the many hardware burn-in suites/tools you can find on the net. The best of course would be to have extra cpus and drives and ram lying around -- but who would for a laptop???

My sister's likely problem is the poor power in her home. The place is constantly throwing fuse switches. In addition to telling her to get better insurance coverage, find a new place to live, I bought her a backup power unit to at least prevent further corruption by improper shut down.

Have a great day! Good Luck and Happy Computering!

Robert Walker

Dennis Hughes Nov 10, 2005, 10:57am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thank you, both, for your response and help!

I managed to figure out the problem earlier last night, and only today managing to make it take effect;

The registry indeed did have problems, but it was in fact a couple of files (which had a creation date of when the problem first occured) that were causing it to not load. Upon removing these files (which took a LOT of narrowing down, as you can imagine...) the system would boot; replacing them, and reducing the sample set, meant that I eventually found out the culprit files.

When I finally managed to get it working, I removed those exact files from the original machine (I'm missing out a lot of steps that I did, possibly unnecessarily, like installing a clean version of windows, merging the old registry with the working registry, copying all files across, etc...) and it booted.

Though the next problem? Entry point in Explorer.exe: SP2 FAILURE!!!!!! Yes, they'd run Windows Update the day before, and as suspected it messed up. I'm now installing SP2 again to correct the problems, and I believe it works :-)

So thanks for the posts, and if anyone else experiences same problems it's probably SP2 as well - feel free to e-mail me for further suggestions as I've tried a lot over the past few days!!

Mark

Kevin Hubbard Nov 10, 2005, 11:45am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

I have the task of creating a new image from scratch and wanted to use driver injection using LANDesk. So I created a basic XP SP2 machine using a Dell D410 laptop and added one driver the network card (broadcom) and used LANDesk OSD Image capture to take a snapshot of the image (the machine is in a workgroup and completely unconfigured). I then re deployed the image to another peice of hardware an HP 7600 Desktop and hey presto mup.sys ???

So I Installed another fresh XPSP2 install onto a Compaq Evo desktop and installed one driver (intel network card) this time used ghost to capture the image and then re imaged onto another peice of hardware and hey presto mup.sys ?? So I tried sysprep'ing the image, capturing and dumping back down and hey presto mup.sys ???

These images Im capturing have only one driver on them the network as I want my standard image basic (infact once PXE boot is up and running they will have no drivers on at all) Drivers will come via driver re direction and all applications will be injected. Yet all I get is Mup.sys ???

Any ideas ?

Jim Runkey Nov 10, 2005, 12:17pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
If I understand your post correctly, you are installing WinXP on one platform (like a laptop), then imaging that install and trying to apply to a completely different platform (like a desktop).

That ain't gonna work.

Even a "clean" WinXP install is tailored to the specific hardware it's being installed on. Windows Setup chooses the appropriate drivers for the processor, motherboard chipset, etc. If you take an image of a disk with Windows as installed for a Pentium 4 on an Intel motherboard, and then try to apply that image onto a machine with an Athlon64 on an nVidia motherboard, it ain't gonna work.

You can only apply such an image to identical hardware and have an expectation that it will work.

Note that you can usually recover from a mismatched Windows install / hardware config (like if you upgrade a machine to a new mobo/processor combo) by doing a "repair installation" of Windows. Boot the original WinXP install CD, hit "Enter" to install Windows, then after it checks for and finds an existing installation, choose "R" to repair that existing installation. Any installed applications and most system settings will be preserved.

Jim

Jay Griffith Nov 12, 2005, 03:39pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I am having a similar problem with my system, but I know most of the hardware is working properly.
I just bought a new Western Digital to replace my old Maxtor. Both are SATA. I would like to boot from the new Western Digital (for speed and fears my Maxtor will die out).

I took the Maxtor out and replaced it with the Western Digital, and proceeded to do a clean install of Windows XP Home. Of course, it hangs after mup.sys. Retried the install, then I tried "chkdsk /p" and "chkdsk /r" in the recovery console with no luck.

With the Western Digital drive still in, I added back in my Maxtor and booted from the Maxtor (Windows installed on both but booting from the Maxtor). No problems running Windows from the Maxtor. I can now access my Western Digital drive from Windows Explorer, and it appears Windows is installed correctly, but has the mup.sys problem when I try booting from it. Tried Windows scan disk on the Western Digital but it didn't seem to find/fix anything.

Seems to me that, unlike many cases on this forum, the only hardware problem that could occur would be on the WD HDD, but scan disk returns nothing. Does anyone have any ideas about maybe which system files I might try to transfer from the Maxtor to the Western Digital to fix the problem? All important files are backed-up, so I am free to experiment.

Thanks

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.