Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1213 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s April 23 - 09:56pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Windows XP, 2000, 98 /

Windows XP freezes at mup.sys, how do I fix it? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, Next >>
Jason Foster May 26, 2005, 06:53pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Windows xp freezes at mup.sys
A very helpful forum indeed. For my XP machine that was hanging on boot up just after the MUP.sys file. I went into the BIOS disable level 1,2 and onboard cash, saved and exited. Used the XP system restore disk, run checkdisk, created new boot and master boot (donít know if creating the boots was necessary, just did it anyway). Exited and booted up windows, which took over 30 minutes (due to disabled cash). After several attempts of windows booting and automatically running scans and repairing files this seemed to resolve the problem. Went back into BIOS and enabled the memory, all ok now. I disabled the memory as this allowed the system to boot past the mup.sys file (advise taken from Shane, cheers). I presume that this was caused by one of the corrupt files just after the mup.sys loaded or when the GUI tried to load. Either way fault is resolved and I owe it to this site, Thanks

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Dan Kings May 27, 2005, 06:20am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi guys!

Just wanted to say a big thank-you to Bobb Fwed for providing the solution to this problem!

I too was experiencing the mup.sys gremlin on my barnd new Asus K8S-MX which was, in fact, a replacement for a previous mobo that had fried two of my hard-drives and along with them whole heap of very important information. Needless to say my first thoughts were "OH NO! Not again!". But low and behold, a quick reset of the CMOS using the on-board jumpers and everything was fine and dandy!

Keep up the good work fellas!

Dan

Dave Heath May 28, 2005, 08:55am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey guys, I think I have a new varient on this problem!

Win XP Pro box, has been running SP2 with no problems since it came out (back last august time)
Then the hard drive had a mechanical failure, so I bought a new HDD for it

Installed XP with SP2 everything fine
Office installed fine
Spend an evening installing drivers, software, updates and patches. Still all fine

This morning I turn on, still fine at this point.
I install VistaScan 3.55 for my Dads pre-historic Umax Scanner
Crappy software tells me to reboot
So i do
Windows trys to load for eons, with the blue progress bar moving as though nothing is wrong. 1 hour later its still going at normal speed, just loading grrrr

or I re-boot pressing F8 to enter the menu that gives me safe mode
after selecting safemode it hangs at the line mentioning drivers/mup.sys
Or so I try booting in safemode with command prompt, same problem

So I slap in WinXP Pro (no SP) CD and boot from that, it enters setup, I camp over my "r" to enter recovery mode...
...IT NEVER GETS THERE!! IT JUST TRYS TO BOOT WINDOWS AND HANGS!!!!!
*insert every expletive on the planet and then add some new ones*
But its all ok, cause I happen to have another XP disc, just incase this one is knackered or just too old (as it was bought before SP1 came out)
Inserts XP Pro with SP2
Same ******** problems

Anyone got any suggestions?

I can't get to any command prompts/setup screens or anything.
*breaks down in tears*

Help me please

Jim Runkey May 28, 2005, 09:39am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
While your case is different in that you can't get to the recovery console, the 1-hr wait at the black Windows splash screen with the moving green dots is still consistent with my problem. I suggest you turn on your machine, and walk away. Check on it after two hours. If it hasn't finished booting, leave it alone. Check it two hours later. Leave it alone for 24 hours if you need to.

My machine takes anywhere from 5 minutes to 2 hours to boot. I have tried a number of the solutions mentioned on this page now, and while I have seen two of them seem to fix the problem, the "fix" only lasted for two boots each time, and then I was right back in the same spot. "Luckily", my computer is a few years old and upgrading is a reasonable option, so my approach now is to not reboot my machine unless I must, and in the meantime I'm shopping for a replacement.

Lots of other people have apparently been able to permanently solve this issue, so I hope you are one of the lucky ones.

Jim

Dave Heath May 28, 2005, 09:51am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
*looks in other room*
nope still not going, has been booting since I posted message, saddly I don't have many hours to leave it running, as I am about to go back to university (am playing Tech support at my parents house)

Could I use Knoppix (Live CD version) to get in and copy/replace the mup.sys file from the one on this laptop?
Well I will soon find out, I have nearly finished downloading the ISO

Will post an update later

Dave Heath May 28, 2005, 01:38pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
well I couldn't get that to work, but I did have an old 2gb hdd hanging around so I slapped that in, installed XP on it, then added the hdd that was playing up in and copied the mup.sys file from the 2gb drive install to the older one.
took out the 2gb drive and voila.
Fixed

Eddie B. May 31, 2005, 09:47am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I also ran into the dreaded "hang after mup.sys" error after moving my PC to a new location. I may have plugged in the USB cables differently than they where originally, it may have been due to the system being powered down for a couple days, but other than that I have no clue what could have caused the problem.

I was able to boot from CD into the recovery console and ran the suggested commands to repair the disk, but no luck. At one point, I was able to get to the system restore option, but that did not help either.

I did get it fixed though... Here's how...

I took the advice of some of the posts in this thread and just waited. I just booted the system in normal mode and walked away. I came back about an hour later and the system, miraculously, was up and running. I went into the hardware manager and found the device that had a conflict, in my case it was a PCI ATA/100 controller card. I powered down, removed the card, and the system booted fine. Of course, I did not have access to my 160GB drive now that the controller was absent. I removed a couple other cards; a PCI modem (which is never used anymore), and a PCI firewire card, and booted again. Everything still good so far.

Then I started adding the parts back in. I added the ATA/100 controller card first and like F'n magic the system booted fine. I added the firewire card and again, no problems on boot up. I didn't want to press my luck, so I left the modem out. I guess to be thorough and satisfy my curiosity (and yours) I should have put it back in, but I was/am pressed for time so, the modem is still setting on my desk.

Bottom line... Be patient... The system will boot eventually (if your lucky), then start troubleshooting your hardware.

Charles Johnson Jun 02, 2005, 04:26pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well! I have been running XP Pro Sp2 on one box with no problems, 2nd box with 2K Pro and no problems... 'till today the 2K box hangs at... you guessed it... mup.sys. So far I have read all about XP systems having this problem, but not much about 2K boxes. So far after the 10-15 minute wait 2K boots up and runs fine. Safe mode is where I found 2K hanging at mup.sys and so I googled it on the XP box and here I am. Now I'm gonna be paranoid about the XP box doing this someday. Obviously this isn't an SP2 only problem since it's screwing with my 2K machine. I have not made any hardware changes for months, so I'm wondering wtf.

Charles Johnson Jun 02, 2005, 06:06pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Turns out a variation of Eddie B's fix was the solution in my case. A scsi miniport something or other had been showing in device manager with a minor problem for awhile but I had ignored it. After reading what Eddie did I went into d.m. and uninstalled the problem devices, disconnected the scanner that needed the scsi stuff to begin with, did a restart and Windows came right up no problem. Since I use a scanner once every other blue moon I won't bother with it until I actually need it. I'll know better than to ignore a problem device in the future.
If it matters, my machine config:

MSI 6368 mobo with onboard LAN/audio/video VIA chipset
Intel Celeron 1.2Ghz socket 370
256mb PC133 Kingston ValueRam
WD 120gb 7200rpm 8mb cache
Windows 2000 Pro SP4

ETA xDOA Jun 04, 2005, 12:42pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> mup.sys my solution
Firstly, I always feel less annoyed once i found a solution.
Secondly, I am a thousand times more annoyed when i forget the solution and start from scratch.

Had this problem upgrading my fathers computer to XP2 at the end of last year... which since resolved runs fine.
Ran into this problem again creating a dual boot 98SE-XP machine today.

After reading through this and other posts went into my bios...

"Enabled" APIC
"disabled" USB2.0
"Enabled" Reset configuration data (from bios description of this option - "set to Enable when the system reconfiguration after a new add-on causes such a serious conflict that the system cannot boot")

This third option is what i tried succesfully to fix the previous issue on my fathers computer.

On rebooting & pressing F8 I chose Safe Mode, which succesfully booted and showed a conflict with the onboard AC97 sound. On inserting the original motherboard driver cd windows succesfully downloaded drivers and the conflict disappeared.

Rebooted succesfully.

Rebooted and "Enabled" USB2.0 in bios
Rebooted Successfully.

Am guessing the first and third changes in BIOS solved the problem.
Also guessing that the problem is caused by misconflicts between different combinations of hardware and drivers causing windows to have problems with allocating resources to the hardware.

Those people who cleared the bios by removing the batteries to solve the problem might find that this automatically resets the 'reset configuration data' to "enabled" in the motherboard bios.

Not that I have ever been able to find a solution for my Gigabyte motherboard not post "anything" on booting... nothing but pure blackness, GgrR

Dckr Apoc Jun 05, 2005, 04:06pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Windows xp freezes at mup.sys - Solution?
Try This -

Go into your bios...

Find and set these settings to:
Memory Hole - Disabled
System BIOS Cachable - Disabled
Video RAM Cachable - Disabled
VGA Share Memory Size - 32M (or there abouts)

Cured my problem

John Bermel Jun 08, 2005, 11:02am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
After tearing out half of my hair last night, then reading the entire contents of this thread, I'm still getting the dreaded mup.sys freeze.

Basically, in one fell swoop, I replaced the mobo, RAM, CPU, and Video card, then popped the HD back in, fully expecting to have to do a clean install of XP (I didn't have SP2). Out of curiosity, I tried to let the system boot up normally, and was surprised to see that windows made it past the boot screen. I heard the click that indicates a monitor resolution change, then nothing. The screen was that kind of black where you can tell the monitor is getting some kind of signal (as opposed to the blackness of it just being off), but that was it. Booting into safe mode revealed that it was (of course) hung up on mup.sys.

So like a good troubleshooter I tossed in the XP CD, changed the BIOS to boot from CD, and restarted my comp. It booted from the CD with no problem, loaded everything alright, then I was provided a choice. I could either hit F3 to install windows, or R to run the recovery console. I hit F3, and the bottom bar read "please wait..." So I did. For about three hours. Nothing happened. Tried it a few more times with the same results. Tried the recovery console, but couldn't get into that, either. I loaded the optimized bios settings, tried the failsafe defaults, tried going in manually and tweaking settings, but to no avail. Tried to do it with three different hard drives, with three different copies of Win XP, but still nothin' doin'. Switched IDE cables, yanked out all my PCI cards, reseated the RAM and Video card, still no progress. I even tried a different video card to no avail. While in the computer I noticed my floppy drive wasn't hooked up, so I hooked it up and tried again. This time, oddly enough, there was some level of progress. I booted from CD, everything loaded as usual, hit F3, and instead of hanging on "Please Wait..." it now hangs on "Checking for previous installations of windows."

I guess that's something.

Naturally, it still won't boot into windows, but with my having replaced most of the components in the system, that doesn't surprise me in the least. I can't use the old hardware, as it's all been fried (long story). The hard drive definitely works, as it was used as a slave in my roommate's box while mine was out of comission. The DVD-RW drive is just over a year old, and worked fine in my roomie's box as well.

I've reached my wit's end at this point. I'm so out of ideas it's rediculous. Help!

Matt Atkinson Jun 08, 2005, 04:25pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've read all the posts here and plenty of them talk about problems with Mup.sys and SP2. Well, I've refused to install SP2 due to concerns from the multiple reports of bugs, crashes, etc. So I was one of the few PC users whose WinXP was running PERFECTLY until last night.

I successfully (and correctly) flashed the Bios to my older MS-6524 motherboard in order to support a faster Pentium chip I've purchased. And THAT'S when the mup.sys stuff started.

Suddenly it would not boot at all. I adjusted some bootup settings that helped me get to the screen to choose startup options, and choosing Safe Mode is what helped me ascertain that the hang-up was at the mup.sys file.

Any idea why a Bios upgrade would cause this? I looked around and haven't found any other stories of this kind of issue.

I booted from CD, but I didn't know enough about the Restore option to make it work, so I did the other option some of you have done: choose reinstall, then let WinXP discover an older installation and "claim" to fix it. Well, it worked, but it also asked me to re-enter the CD key, my user info, it re-registered, and now when I log on I have TWO accounts, one of which I don't even want.

The other weird thing, probably unrelated, is that Windows XP kept re-launching my Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 install file every few minutes.

Is the mup.sys file the same across Windows versions? I happen to be on a work PC using Windows 2000 and I wondered if I could just email the mup.sys file from this computer to my home and swap it for the bad file in Windows XP. Of course, I'm not even sure you can replace the files while XP is running; perhaps it has to be done using the CD boot and "R" option, but I don't know how to do that.

Dckr Apoc Jun 08, 2005, 04:55pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
As its been stated Numerous Times. Its Not mup.sys that is the problem. mup.sys is the last thing to successfully load. After mup.sys is loaded windows begins allocating resources. That said, I have little doubt that its a incompatible Bios setting, The default may conflit with windows. Check my previous post and several others about potential issues that may be incompatible with your Motherboard / Windows Version.

Cheers!

Charles Johnson Jun 08, 2005, 05:07pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
While the majority of the users with the mup.sys problem are on XP SP2, notice that it was my 2000 Pro SP4 box that had the problem, not my XP SP2 box. The problem seems to be related to, if not caused by, hardware changes. I had switched a stick of RAM when it happened to me, and when I went into device manager and removed some problem devices it booted right up like nothing ever happened. Even as I am writing this I restarted the 2K box and it came right up no problem, nearly a week later. <g>
So far there doesn't seem to be any hard-and-fast "do this, then do that" fix, but my first recommendation would be to (if possible/practical) "wait it out" till Windows starts, go into device manager and make sure you don't have any conflicts/problems, remove/fix any you find, then reboot and see what happens. After that, depending on your particular config, variations of the BIOS setting changes mentioned above might have some success. Beyond that you'll have to come up with your own solution since there are many hundreds of thousands of hardware/software config combinations out there.

Matt Atkinson Jun 08, 2005, 05:10pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yes, thanks. Since upgrading the Bios was the only change I made, I've asked the company if they know of this issue. I'll double-check the hardware manager for conflicts too. I appreciate the replies!

Jim Runkey Jun 08, 2005, 11:53pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I had tried a variety of "solutions" posted in this thread--running chkdsk, clearing the CMOS, running recovery console, etc. Once or twice I got a "good boot" after doing one of those things, but I think those were flukes, because the stalling started right up again very quickly.

I finally localized it to two hard drives that have given me problems before. (I replaced the power supply about a year ago because with the old power supply, when you turned on the machine, the drives and fans would start spinning for about half a sec, and then the system would spontaneously shut down again. I eventually figured out that if I unplugged both these drives, the machien would boot successfully. The new power supply solved that problem, and the drives haven't been an issue again until now.)

Note that there was no obvious indication that these devices were the problem: Windows gave no error messages, Device Manager showed no warnings, and I could read and write to the drives with no problem.

All I know is that the power is disconnected from those two drives, the machine boots right up. When I plug either one of them in, it stalls out on the black Windows splash screen at bootup. (Safe mode stalls after printing "mup.sys" on the screen.) The machine will eventually complete the boot cycle, but it will take hours.

Just wanted to throw that out there for folks as another piece of data to be used in troubleshooting. Good luck!

Jim

Dckr Apoc Jun 09, 2005, 03:22am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I would recommend plugging the drive back in and messing with the settings of the drive, seeing if any of them might be effecting the start up. Might help narrow this problem down for others.

John Bermel Jun 09, 2005, 09:49am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
After a day of losing my mind, then another day spent feverishly reading every forum I could find on the topic, I finally found my solution...

I created a bootdisk that would at least get me a command prompt (you can do this in Win XP by right-clicking the floppy drive under My Computer, selecting format, then checking the option to create an MSDOS boot disk), and using a DOS-based utility, flashed my BIOS.

Fuggin' DUH!

nudge ozzie Jun 10, 2005, 04:07pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hi, i am not sure if it a hardware problem.

i have just upgraded my MB/Memory/CPU but kept the same HDD (XPpro SP2).

on my normal machine - no probs, on the new upgraded machine, mup.sys hang up with the same HDD!

therefore i am assuming it is not corrupt files etc, but more that it has something to do with lack of drivers etc.

strange, because i tried to do an hardware upgrade about 3 months or so ago, and again staying with this hdd but putting it into a new MB/Cpu/memory machine, same thing again - i put in the OLD graphic card from the original machine, and works fine.

so 3 different machines - same hdd, same problem.

i am only thinking out loud, but perhaps if the chipset drivers etc etc of the new machine could be installed before migration?

nudge

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.