Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1111 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 18 - 07:44am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Windows XP, 2000, 98 /

Windows XP freezes at mup.sys, how do I fix it? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42
Rob Lugton May 21, 2011, 12:56am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Windows XP freezes at mup.sys, how do I fix it?
Wow quite impressive to see this one file causing so much headache over this many years.

I am currently encountering a similar problem on my system. After install the latest round of windows update the computer did not power down. I manually powered down then upon next power up I had a bios checksum error. Reset bios settings and tried booting in windows safe mode, last known good configuration and safe mode with command prompt with all options freezing.

Upon booting in command prompt noted that system was hanging at agp440.sys which I disabled through booting of the windows xp disk, going through the process described here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324764. I then tried starting the computer up in command prompt again with the computer freezing on mup.sys.

I have taken the hdd out copied the contents (all files were readable and okay) chkdsk the hdd and found no major errors.

Have now reinstalled the HDD loaded the scsi drivers through the windows install and gone to install windows and repaired the xp installation. Upon booting the xp windows hung again and since have not checked what file is causing the hangup.

My research so far on this topic shows that this file is the unlikely cause of the errors with the true cause coming from a variety of errors in the physical hardware, power supply, corrupted software drivers as well as corrupted master boot records.

I am currently working through potential fixes from this site here http://www.aitechsolutions.net/mupdotsysXPhang.html which gives you a really good background on the mup.sys file and also the reasons behind the hangup along with potential fixes.

Next options for me after running the chkdsk through recover console are;
1. Remove any usb devices including keyboard and will attach ps2 keyboard. Along with disabling usb in the bios.
2. Reset bios.
3. Flash bios
4. Removing some of the ram modules to see if it is hardware related (unlikely given the system ram was running fine up to this point for 2 years in the system.

Any advice or potential other fixes that anyone could advise on would be great.

Cheers
Rob
3. Flash

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
john albrich May 21, 2011, 03:05pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 21, 2011, 03:08pm EDT

Until you find the cause of a potential hardware problem...
FLASHING BIOS IS THE VERY LAST THING TO DO

If a hardware, software, or procedural problem occurs while flashing BIOS, you could hose the system permanently (unless you have one of the mobos that has a redundant BIOS recovery system).

Go through the component isolation techniques first. Disconnect/remove ALL un-required hardware to boot. Here's a VERY basic guide.
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/77356/#589051

Test the memory sticks one at a time, etc.

The goal is to verify basic functionality then start adding complexity as each test iteration completes successfully.

You can also add an HDD and/or CD/DVD drive and then run system, CPU, HDD, etc diagnostics using test suites such as those found on UBCD...again starting with simple and increasing complexity.
http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/
(note: Use the self-booting UBCD. Do not use UBCD4Win if you want to isolate hardware from Windows software problems)

Alternatively, you can take a shot and run UBCD tests with the system fully configured as it is now, and see if the tests manage to ID a specific hardware problem. Sometimes that works, but often a problem in one area can cause "false positive" failures to be reported in other areas during test and you can spend time and money trying to "fix" the wrong thing.

edit:
added warning re: UBCD4Win v. self-booting UBCD

Charles Johnson Jul 14, 2011, 07:02pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jul 14, 2011, 07:07pm EDT

I think R Silverlok's post is going to be very misleading. The problem here is NOT mup.sys but whatever file is supposed to load AFTER it. Do NOT waste your time trying to fix mup.sys as it is NOT the problem. mup.sys is simply the last file that loads properly before Windows comes to the subsequent file and runs into a problem. Not every computer will try to load the same file after mup.sys so there is not a simple one-fix-for-every-computer solution. If you can get your computer to boot into safe mode, see what file is supposed to load right after mup.sys on a normal boot, then when it stops at mup.sys you know what file is the actual culprit, and you'll know what to start looking into.

carlos ferreira Sep 06, 2011, 11:57am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Dear Friends,

First of all thank you for sharing your knowledge with us.

After trying almost everything I could find on the web, what really worked for me was quite simple.

I just unpluged some USB devices and reboot. Simple like that.

You may connect your USB devices after Windows loads.

Hope this can help someone.

Kind Regards,

Carlos - Brazil

R Silverlok Sep 13, 2011, 10:41pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 13, 2011, 10:55pm EDT

er, charlie JOHNSON, before you start p**sing in someone's cheerios you should probably read the whole post, especially the most important bits:

R Silverlok said:

O.k. I can definitively tell you that the 'mup.sys' hang/reboot is caused by updates that xp sp2 made to certain files, one of which being mup.sys. and no replacing the file will most likely NOT solve the problem.you need to fix the MBR and then replace the mup.sys with the updated version
here you go:

sp2 causes problems with microsofts nasty way of putting it's boot prints ( ha cough ha ) on the MBR. That is to say: the MASTER BOOT RECORD has a flaw and is not letting the windows drivers access the physical hard drive past a certain point . I'd like to be very clear:

THIS IS NOT A HARDWARE FLAW BUT A SOFTWARE INDUCED ONE ACQUIRED BY THE SYSTEM DUE TO CHANGES XPSP2 MADE TO HOW MICROSOFT MANAGES THE ALLOCATION TABLES AND THE MBR (in 2004).

Oddly the problem reminds me of the old AMD K-5 (or was it k3's?) cpu's/mobo's needing a patch because an ios.VxD would make windows think it was installed on teh wrong system (lovely windows protection error(which xp tells you also if you happen to slow it down enough to read the error message).

At any rate NONE OF the XP tools from MS would fix or identify the problem, but the windows 7 install disc EASILY finds the problem and fixes it .( you do not have to load the OS just switch the pc to 'boot from cd-rom' put in the w7 disc and when it loads up ( which it will ) it will check and fix the disk before install. then simply cancel the install .

Of course another solution is to use "bartpe" , a nice little linux shell to shoe horn and scalpel your way to the problem ( but if you know about bartpe you don't need this thread do you ;-).

I should point out that if the "mup.sys" errors pop up on your machine re-installing the os without COMPLETELY wiping and re-formating the drive may not solve the problem even though you are reverting to an earlier (not gimped) file system because the mbr will still have MS fingerprints on it and hence will still have the 'protection error' ( that flashes too quickly to see ) when the new install fires up.

here are a couple of interesting tidbits:

w7 identifies it as " a problem with pre-vista os file system "
MUP.SYS was signed as a component modified by MS XPSP2 ,at 1:15a in the morning (Wednesday august 4th) 2004 (when this thread started).Unless you have applied the update ( critical ) that updated the file on sunday feb18th 2007 ( the file should be version at least" 5.1.2600.2763 (xpsp.050922-1648" ) (just after this thread was abandoned) fixing the MBR won't ensure future failures or malicious exploitations.

Also the xp2 version (that is in question) of mup.sys is 105Kb whereas the updated file is only 102Kb ? interesting that MS ( not known for shrinking and streamlining ) would be able to shave a couple of bits out of this file.

an error with the mup.sys handling of the MBR certainly leaves an exciting place to gain access to the root places at boot time

It is also interesting that MS let this problem run for over two years prior to the release of vista and put out a new mup.sys file only four months AFTER THE RELEASE OF VISTA.what makes this especially suspicious is that W7 identifies it as i quoted : a "pre vista OS file problem" that's a really odd way to word something on a windows 7 installation procedure

The systems most effected by this are going to be heavy streaming systems ( lots of interenet/network traffic ) and dual boot or other multiple partion systems where multiple partitions are physically located on the same drive. Additionally anyone whom uses very large files on a regular basis ( like raw video ) and anyone whom runs with a HD nearly full or uses third party defragmentation would be more susceptible

sumo sumo Jun 02, 2012, 01:38am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've just solved an Mup.sys hang on a Dell Inspiron 6400. It's an old machine but has proven to be reliable.

Starting from two weeks ago, booting WinXP, safe mode or normal mode, would hang. In safe mode, WinXP would eventually vomit up a blue screen.

I ran all the Dell diagnostics, for hours, memory tests especially. The only h/w problem was the laptop battery. Replacing the battery had no effect on the Mup.sys problem.

I tried rescue disks like Kaspersky 10 and Trinity 3.4, scanned for viruses and eliminated junk files. No effect on the problem.

The 6400 would run a Ubuntu live CD ("try" rather than "install") without a hitch. So a h/w fault was looking increasingly unlikely as the cause.

By a strange coincidence, at the same time, I had a minor problem on a WinXP guest OS running under VirtualBox on a Linux 64-bit machine. The problem was that, after the WinXP guest boot, Outpost security suite reported it couldn't load Sandbox.sys. Updating Outpost a few days later fixed it (the updates weren't available immediately).

The 6400 also had Outpost installed, and Sandbox.sys was one of the files named on the screen before Mup.sys, during safe mode boot.

As an experiment, I booted Ubuntu CD on the 6400, renamed Sandbox.sys to something else, and tried a safe boot. No change in the problem.

Then I booted the Kaspersky rescue CD to repair the "dirty" status of the hard drive, and selected the option to reboot from the hard disk. By mistake, I let the 6400 try to boot Windows normally. Lo and behold, it booted.

So in this case, the Mup.sys problem had to do with the driver files of a software security suite.

Cornelis de Groot Dec 13, 2012, 02:55pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I fixed mine.

My problem was with a Dell XP (not mine though) that froze with a 0x0000007b and 0xc000000e BSOD, but no mention of a file.

I installed the drive as a slave on another machine and scanned it with Kaspersky AV 2012 which did not pick up anything. Malwarebytes and Eset 5 picked up some malware, but removing them did not make a difference.

While reading this forum, I noticed that someone pointed out that the files that Safe Mode listed were in the driver directory and other posters that the problems were hardware related. Putting two and two together, I figured that the BSOD might be driver related. I went looking in the driver directory and checked for the latest installed file. I found a file named 3a52e54394b39e32.sys. and renamed it to .sys1 and bang: Eset immediately flagged it as malware and quarantined it. I reinstalled the drive on the original machine and this time it completed the boot. Running Malwarebytes produced a boatload of additional crapware that were not flagged when the drive was installed as a slave. The Dell now runs like it is supposed to.

Moral: don't trust Antivirus scans to solve all your problems.

Charles Johnson Dec 14, 2012, 11:53am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
8 years and 42 pages, although the replies are getting fewer and farther between the last couple years. I first came here 7 1/2 years ago (page 5) when my little Win 2K box ran into this problem. Lucky me I fixed mine pretty quick and easy. Until this past summer I had 4 desktops and a laptop running XP Pro and never ran into this. I've retired the old socket 370 machines (including the one that had 2k on it which lead me here to begin with). The laptop still has XP Pro on it but the 2 remaining desktops have Windows 7 and run fine.

Charles Johnson Dec 14, 2012, 12:02pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
You might check page 5 of this thread and notice how it was Windows 2000 Pro which hung up after mup.sys, NOT any of my XP machines. None of my XP machines have ever had this problem in all the years since. It's already well established that mup.sys is NOT the problem file.

R Silverlok said:
er, charlie JOHNSON, before you start p**sing in someone's cheerios you should probably read the whole post, especially the most important bits:

R Silverlok said:

O.k. I can definitively tell you that the 'mup.sys' hang/reboot is caused by updates that xp sp2 made to certain files, one of which being mup.sys. and no replacing the file will most likely NOT solve the problem.you need to fix the MBR and then replace the mup.sys with the updated version
here you go:

sp2 causes problems with microsofts nasty way of putting it's boot prints ( ha cough ha ) on the MBR. That is to say: the MASTER BOOT RECORD has a flaw and is not letting the windows drivers access the physical hard drive past a certain point . I'd like to be very clear:

THIS IS NOT A HARDWARE FLAW BUT A SOFTWARE INDUCED ONE ACQUIRED BY THE SYSTEM DUE TO CHANGES XPSP2 MADE TO HOW MICROSOFT MANAGES THE ALLOCATION TABLES AND THE MBR (in 2004).

Oddly the problem reminds me of the old AMD K-5 (or was it k3's?) cpu's/mobo's needing a patch because an ios.VxD would make windows think it was installed on teh wrong system (lovely windows protection error(which xp tells you also if you happen to slow it down enough to read the error message).

At any rate NONE OF the XP tools from MS would fix or identify the problem, but the windows 7 install disc EASILY finds the problem and fixes it .( you do not have to load the OS just switch the pc to 'boot from cd-rom' put in the w7 disc and when it loads up ( which it will ) it will check and fix the disk before install. then simply cancel the install .

Of course another solution is to use "bartpe" , a nice little linux shell to shoe horn and scalpel your way to the problem ( but if you know about bartpe you don't need this thread do you ;-).

I should point out that if the "mup.sys" errors pop up on your machine re-installing the os without COMPLETELY wiping and re-formating the drive may not solve the problem even though you are reverting to an earlier (not gimped) file system because the mbr will still have MS fingerprints on it and hence will still have the 'protection error' ( that flashes too quickly to see ) when the new install fires up.

here are a couple of interesting tidbits:

w7 identifies it as " a problem with pre-vista os file system "
MUP.SYS was signed as a component modified by MS XPSP2 ,at 1:15a in the morning (Wednesday august 4th) 2004 (when this thread started).Unless you have applied the update ( critical ) that updated the file on sunday feb18th 2007 ( the file should be version at least" 5.1.2600.2763 (xpsp.050922-1648" ) (just after this thread was abandoned) fixing the MBR won't ensure future failures or malicious exploitations.

Also the xp2 version (that is in question) of mup.sys is 105Kb whereas the updated file is only 102Kb ? interesting that MS ( not known for shrinking and streamlining ) would be able to shave a couple of bits out of this file.

an error with the mup.sys handling of the MBR certainly leaves an exciting place to gain access to the root places at boot time

It is also interesting that MS let this problem run for over two years prior to the release of vista and put out a new mup.sys file only four months AFTER THE RELEASE OF VISTA.what makes this especially suspicious is that W7 identifies it as i quoted : a "pre vista OS file problem" that's a really odd way to word something on a windows 7 installation procedure

The systems most effected by this are going to be heavy streaming systems ( lots of interenet/network traffic ) and dual boot or other multiple partion systems where multiple partitions are physically located on the same drive. Additionally anyone whom uses very large files on a regular basis ( like raw video ) and anyone whom runs with a HD nearly full or uses third party defragmentation would be more susceptible

Rick Manson Feb 09, 2013, 05:24pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 28, 2013, 03:01pm EDT

I meant to post over a year ago. I had this issue late 2011 on a machine I built kn 2007. I am one that have tried, i believe, every suggestion ever mentioned here. I read all 42 pages and meticulously kept a log of any viable solution that worked for anyone. I think there must have been at least 50 solutions listed. I will have to say that IMO that there is no one cure as it is no specific ONE problem on everyone's machine.

I do have to say that I disagree with Nick or Jim Runky, can't remember which, who said that it is not or in no relation to a BSOD problem. My machine first showed the BSOD 7B error and on trying to boot into Safe Mode I witnessed my system halting on MUP.sys. So, I have both of these issues at the same time.

Why did I take so long in posting? Well, I must have spent 40 hours researching this issue back in 2011 and then decided to build my new machine. I think back then this was only about 20 some pages.

Anyway, my particulars may be a bit unique. I had more detailed notes which are currently being held hostage on another machine. However, As I remember, I installed new nvidia drivers and something didn't seam right but as I remember the system booted and worked for some months after. I then decided to move the hardware to a an older box so that I could build a new system in the box this 2007 machine was in. Worked fine but while moving I noticed that the SATA connectors wiggled a little more than usual. After using the system a bit and subsequently changing drives and plugging and unplugging the SATA connectors I started noticing drive read write error on the slave. Then started noticing them on the system drive. I then inspected and noticed that the SATA connector pins or wires started breaking at the through hole point on the board. At lead one on the slave I noted was broken and one on the system drive was almost broken but on messing a little a few more broke on each. This is when the BSOD first started and then finding that it halted on MUP.sys as I tried Safe Mode.

I did all the testing with UBCD and diagnosing via a USB dongle.

One thing I have not found is an AHCI setting in the BIOS. This is an MSI MS-7312 K9MM-V motherboard. I updated to the 1.6 BIOS in 2010 and I can't remember but had a good reason not to updat to the v1.7 or v1.8

I tried replacing all drivers, replaced the registry hives with backup ones. Tried the Win cd and clicked 'New Install' and then 'R'. These are some of the major things that should have fixed it.

I am about ready to give up but have revisited this this week and spent another 40 hours on it. I didn't want to give up if there is an easy fix but I am now skeptical. I am pretty sure though that my issue has something to do with the SATA connectors breaking and doing something .

If any know-it-alls or geeks are still listening feel free to give some suggestions on what you think broken SATA connectors would do and how to fix this and at least make the drive boot via USB.

Did someone mention something about putting a windows 7 disk in to fix a Window VP partition and it found a 'Pre VIsta Issue'? I didn't understand that.

perri korbal Mar 26, 2013, 11:47pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
this might be a HD hardware problem.
unplug the PC power cord
wait for a few seconds and plug it back

Ian Berg Mar 27, 2013, 12:15am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 27, 2013, 12:16am EDT

This must be the most infamous problem of all time :)

Just had this happen on my Thinkpad T60 after many years of no problems and no hardware or software changes recently. In my case it's definitely not a hardware issue. Under Parted Magic (in Linux) I can see the partition and all directories and files. I just copied them. But I can't boot Windows and the HD is not recognized when connecting to another pc via usb. Nor is it seen by DOS.

Contrary to what R Silverlok said, I do know what BartPE is, and it's of zero help. It crashes exactly the same as Windows in normal mode, to the black Windows splash screen.

I guess there are many problems with the same symptoms and no single answer, nor a good systematic way of diagnosing it. I will report on my findings if I ever resolve it.

Charles Johnson Mar 28, 2013, 01:55pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Your last statement is absolutely true with this particular problem. Several others as well as myself have said exactly the same thing during the time this thread has existed. In my case it was a Windows 2000 machine that first had this problem and caused me to find this thread. For that particular computer it was a simple hardware change I had made, and when I reversed the change I had made the problem went away. For many others the solution was much more complicated and time consuming. Overall it usually turns out to be some sort of hardware issue, but not all the time. Some folks have solved it by repairing Windows or running some sort of software, while others have had to format their hard drives and re-install Windows.
I suppose I'm lucky I haven't had this happen again considering how many computers I've owned and how many times I've installed various versions of Windows on those machines and made hardware changes along the way. In the past year I started migrating my computers to Windows 7 but I ran XP Pro on several machines in the 8 years since my first post on this forum and have not had this problem crop up again after that first one.
I'm sure this won't be the last post on this thread, but posts are getting farther and farther between which I'm sure is due to XP being used less and less nowadays. Will it make the 10-year mark next year? Time will tell.

Ian Berg said:
This must be the most infamous problem of all time :)

Just had this happen on my Thinkpad T60 after many years of no problems and no hardware or software changes recently. In my case it's definitely not a hardware issue. Under Parted Magic (in Linux) I can see the partition and all directories and files. I just copied them. But I can't boot Windows and the HD is not recognized when connecting to another pc via usb. Nor is it seen by DOS.

Contrary to what R Silverlok said, I do know what BartPE is, and it's of zero help. It crashes exactly the same as Windows in normal mode, to the black Windows splash screen.

I guess there are many problems with the same symptoms and no single answer, nor a good systematic way of diagnosing it. I will report on my findings if I ever resolve it.

Rick Manson Mar 28, 2013, 02:33pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 28, 2013, 03:14pm EDT

perri korbal said:
this might be a HD hardware problem.
unplug the PC power cord
wait for a few seconds and plug it back

Oh, I didn't try that hmmmmm. Actually I'm being a little sarcastic as this was mentioned a few times in the last 42 pages of this post and I don't recall anyone, at least seriously, relating that this very simple exercise was of any help. Well. maybe a couple people did. Only a few mentioned HDD issues being found at the problem. I know my is is definitely not HDD as that is one of the first things that I thoroughly checked out.

An update, can't remember if I posted my findings, but my issues was simply because the SATA connectors on the MB started having wires break off since the solder on the stabilizer posts on each side of the connector came loose and they were wiggling back and forth. My Issue was simply a result of this fact from what I can figure. I thought I could simply plug the drive in via USB and get it to boot and that there should no longer be a BSOD while booting the disk via this method. But, I find I may be wrong as other forums mentioned that you can not just plug a system boot drive into a USB port if the Windows system was installed while the disk was connected to the SATA controller. I to this date have not found any way of simply making a a disk that was born by SATA switch over to being able to boot from USB. Apparently its not just the disk format but the file table and a few other things are implemented differently depending on what interface a disk was attached to when the OS was loaded. If anyone know of what need changed or if it is possible or has done this please offer your information.

Perri Korbal may have been sincerely trying to offer help, I don't know for sure but anyone reading the latest page of this 42 page help forum should be able to surmise that a simple suggestion like that has be offered at least two dozen times.

My advice would be that if yo are reading the latest page and have not read all 42 pages of the whole forum, try to refrane from simple solutions that you can imagine were offerd at least a couple dozen times. It just makes us look silly. This issue, we have all figured out by now, is a very convoluted one and is a problem that manifests itself as a result of many pc issues which there is no one solution for everyone experiencing this problem. Simple solutions are not going to cut it and remember aout 3-4 dozen of them. For those that have a very intricate understanding of computers like some of us have and that may have very complicated solutions, those may be of most help at this point since it seams all of the simple ones have been offered dozens of times over and this issue has even stumped some engineers and computer techs that have offered help here.

Rick Manson Mar 28, 2013, 02:42pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 28, 2013, 02:52pm EDT

Ian Berg,
Seams odd that your bart PE is crashing at the same point as it loads from CD (unless you have it on a flash drive) and builds its own RAM Disk and should have nothing to do with your other Windows System Partition unless your other (broken) partition is trying to take over boot and you don't actually have your BIOS switched to boot from CD first. But I figure you already know that much to make sure your booting from CD.

If this is in fact happening from the Bart PE disk I would have to guess that your one of the ones that have a BIOS issue as nothing else I can think of should effect loading of system drivers other than that.

Mr. Johnson mentioned the posts being less and less possibly due to XP being used less and less. While this may be partially true, there are still a great number ox XP machines being uses. Always has been far more than Vista and a year after Windows 7 was introduced, XP was still beating 7 in numbers being aprox. 48% to 42% for Windows 7. Now those numbers only shifted about 10% to being 38% for XP and around 48-52% Windows 7. I feel that some, at least some of the people experiencing this were due to Windows issues that ere eventually fixed in updates which is one reason I think we see the posts being farther and fewer between. But since so many things have attributed to this it is hard to say how many.

Ian Berg Mar 28, 2013, 08:44pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 28, 2013, 08:58pm EDT

I thought my MBR might be corrupted, so...

I just put in a brand new HD and launched WinXPProSP3 from a genuine retail cd. The Windows CD loads up a bunch of drivers, then stops dead at the blue screen that says Windows Setup at the top and Setup is Starting Windows in the white band at the bottom.

I'm guessing this level of basic disfuction means something but I'm not educated enough to know what. Can someone clue me in?

It goes through POST fine and I looked at BIOS settings, nothing unusual and no errors.

Edit: I am still able to run UltimateBoot CD, which runs Linux.

Charles Johnson Mar 28, 2013, 09:02pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
You should probably post this in a new thread. This thread is for those whose computers stop loading after reaching mup.sys, but since you can't even get XP to install you're nowhere near that point. Before you make your new post you might check to make sure the CD you are installing from isn't scratched and that your optical drive isn't dirty.

Posting this as a new post should get you much faster replies than posting here under this thread's title which has nothing to do with your problem.

Ian Berg Mar 28, 2013, 09:24pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks Charles, I will do that.

Edward Denham Jun 25, 2013, 09:25am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
LOOK AT YOUR BIOS SETTINGS

We saw this issue when we created an image on a working machine (Intel Celeron P4505) and then loaded it on a nominally identical machine. Saw the same symptoms as many others on this thread: BIOS screens, "Starting Windows", then reboot, repeat. Starting in Safe Mode showed that Mup.sys was the last driver displayed before the reboot. Based on what I read in this thread, I compared the BIOS settings on the two machines (Siemens IPC627 Profibus) and found only one difference between the two: the working machine had "SATA Mode" = "AHCI", while on the failing machine it was set to "Enhanced". I changed it to "AHCI", and it started working with no other changes.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.