Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1495 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 11 - 12:01pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Sound / Multimedia /

soundcard installed, but no sound device? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
OCGW Feb 08, 2005, 02:59pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Feb 08, 2005, 03:01pm EST

>> Re: soundcard installed, but no sound device?
You do not KNOW for certain what the problem is (you ASSUME it is WDM), until after you have SOLVED it

OCGW

PEACE

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Bruce Hildebrand Feb 08, 2005, 08:48pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I cannot swear that it is a WDM problem, however having seen over 100 cases of this exact behavior, and ALL of them involve a WDM driver, and in EVERY instance where there was both a WDM and a PCI driver available, installing the PCI driver solved the problem. Logic would lean to a WDM installation problem.

Additionally since it spans multiple operating systems AND multiple hardware devices AND device manufacturers, it is not limited to a particular manufacturer's implementation of WDM. Therefore, based on the following scenario, I DO ASSUME it to be a flaw or oversight in the basic construction of the WDM installation process.

Since the only common thread here is that microsoft published the WDM specifications and included sample drivers and installers in the WDM Software Development Kit (SDK), the implications are obvious.

OCGW Feb 08, 2005, 10:22pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
You could be right

Then again, maybe you have held this assumption for quite a while

OCGW

PEACE

Ramona Clifton Feb 19, 2005, 11:55pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi everyone,
I am new here. I am having the exact same trouble. I have a PCChips M741LMRT with SIS 640 video onboard, C-Media CMI8738 WDM sound onboard which is enabled with a jumper onboard. Mine happened after getting Service pack 4 for Windows2K. I had upgraded from 98 to XP. Worked find until daughter got virus because she shut down Norton to make Kazaa Lite download go faster. I wiped and installed XP clean. I had sound when it was 98, upgraded to XP and in XP clean install Kept getting System errors because of the Security holes XP. Kept getting hijackers. It still too buggy for me. Did fdisk, format Install windows 2k. Same trouble with sound. Drivers Install and in Device Mgr says they are fine. sound/multimedia says No playback devices. Did windows update driver update. Would not install all components. Uninstalled. Reinstalled other drivers. Looked like it was working. I had playback devices. Could not install Adobe reader 6 or 7 and W2K comes with IE 5. I needed IE6. Web sites I need for work uses them. Installed Service pack 4 and all stopped again. I have uninstalled the files and cleaned them from explorer and registry. On reboot....new hardware detected.....Multimedia Audio controller as it always did... I did not wipe out the media references.
I then found that W2K has a bug. KB922831..Windows 2000 Patch:Driver Installation Program Does Not Install Device Drivers and another page that said: BUG: Driver Installation Program Does Not Install Device Drivers. Both suggested downloading and installing this file (Windows2000-KB822831-x86-ENU.exe) to fix the problem. I did and it didn't.
I do not want to wipe again. This is a clean install. I guess my only choice is to try and wipe the media references in Registry but I don't see that doing any good. I already did similer and it re recognized the hardware. Also system information sees it there and when you click on the Hardware tab in Sound/multimedia it shows the devices. Just not on the Sound tab. It says "no playback devices" and everything is greyed out and I have no sound except crackling and beeps from the speakers (amplifying the pc speakers)

Bruce Hildebrand Feb 22, 2005, 10:47am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have not seen a case on a clean load where this symptom has occurred. I think there is more than just a driver issue happening here. The fact that Adobe products would not install is significant. There may be an installer error. This of course will compromise ANY installation,

Suggestion: If the sound card worked prior to SP4, uninstall SP4. You may have had some corruption during the SP4 update. It also could be an MS installer problem.

If the sound driver works after the uninstall of SP4, do the following in this order.

Download but do not install, the MS installer 2.0
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=32832

Boot to the repair console and delete the old installer components.
Msi.dll
Msi.hnd.dll
Msiexec.exe

Reboot and install the previously downloaded MS installer 2.0

Try downloading and reinstalling adobe again. Do not use a previously downloaded version (it may be suspect). If you have problems, installing SP4 probably will not help. XP and 2000 should work identically on your hardware. I wouldnít favor 2000 over XP. XPís system restore is worth itís weight in gold.

If you are able to install Adobe, visit windows update and re-run the SP4 install from the windows update site. (Do not use a previously downloaded version). Your sound card should continue to work.

If you are unsuccessful, I would try a clean load of XP or 2000 as follows:

Boot from CD to start the install and wipe the drive. It does not matter if your version is an upgrade or not, you do not need to install an older operating system to do the install. You will be prompted to insert the CD of the older OS for verification.

Do not install ANY drivers from your motherboard CD. The only exception is the driver for your internet connection, and then only if it is not native (in your case the Sis 900 Lan or your analog modem). Once you have an internet connection, visit windowsupdate and install ALL driver updates. This will give you video, updated LAN, and Sound Drivers. You may need to visit your modem manufacturerís web site to find a non-native driver.

Reboot and you should have sound, video etc. Now continue visiting windowsupdate and install ALL critical, recommended and driver updates. If your hardware is sound, everything will continue to work all the way through. If you are on a dial-up connection this will take a very long time. Do not use any previously downloaded drivers or updates. Since your system was compromised, they are all suspect.

While Norton is very slow, you cannot run a computer connected to the internet today without an anti virus and firewall. For a faster product, try EZ Armor (Free 1 year subscription). From the windowsupdate site, click on the 1-2-3 security button or visit http://www.microsoft.com/security. It has a link for EZ Armor anti virus and firewall. Computer Associates is offering a free one year subscription. (The firewall is actually Zone Alarm)

Also download AdAwareSE, Spybot 1.3 and the Microsoft Anti-Sypware programs and run them regularly.

Once you have everything downloaded, updated and working, make a backup of the registry (windows 2000) or create a system restore point (XP). If you donít have a registry tool to backup the registry (2000) , run NT Backup and save the system state. Copy the backup to CD if possible.

Do NOT let your daughter load Kazaa again or your system will be broken in no time.
The spyware bundled with this product is awful. Plus the files that she downloads are suspect as well (since they come from an unreliable source).

Baring any hardware problems or bad installation CDís you should now have a working system.

Ramona Clifton Feb 22, 2005, 11:16am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 22, 2005, 11:36am EST

For one thing I did fdisk the drive and format before the install of W2K. It recoginzed everything except for my modem (PCI communications Device) and my sound (Multimedia Audio Device). I then installed the sound drivers and it worked. I tried to then install Adobe Acrobat 7.0 and it said that the Operating system and IE was too old. I tried to iinstall Adobe 6.0 and got the same message. IE installed was 5.0
I went to Windows update and first to 6.0. I then did the SP 4 update and all the critical updates. I then was able to install Adobe 7. Then is when I noticed that the audio was not there and found that it had no playback device even though the drivers were installed. So I went to look for the driver updates and the only Driver update that was there which was for the Audio. I downloaded it and installed it. No audio still. Uninstalled and reinstalled..... I rebooted and installed the Windows Media Player update for WMP 9 and the codecs and direct show and edited the registry to make it Play my DVD drive. It still was not working.
This is the strangest thing I have ever saw. As for my internet...I don't need the modem. I have DSL and connect thru a Wired peer to peer Network with a Linksys router. I went to Computer Associates and ran the free online scan. Also did one from Housecall along with running norton and found no viruses. Ran Adaware SE and Spybot also and found the usual data miners. I have purchased Zone Alarm Pro.
I don't have the motherboard CD. I downloaded the drivers from the PCchips website and scanned them with scandisk and norton before opening the files. I don't like XP. It is still too unstable. I had it on and kept getting errors and the Microsoft report tool kept coming up. that is why I put 2K on in the first place.
2K does have a back up with restore feature and I do know how to use the repair console. I also can do a Drive Image incase something happens. I can just reimage the drive with the working setup.

I will try what you suggested. I might also try turning off the MBoard sound and put in a card if that does not work. .
The daughter has not been allowed to download any more music. I blocked her from downloads....I told her if she wants a song ask and I will get it for her via a safe method.

OCGW Feb 22, 2005, 04:39pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
After your sound "went a away", & you saw that your "playbackdevice" was missing, did you run the "add hardware" wizard?

Or scan for hardware changes?

OCGW

PEACE

d mitchell Jan 05, 2006, 02:08pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I found that my issue was the Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator in
the Device Manager would not get reinstalled properly. I found that adding
the entries into the registry, removing the sound card from the device
manager, and letting it reinstall after a reboot always cured the problem.

I have included a .reg file (with the added .txt extension) with the
necessary information to import into the registry.

I hope this helps.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\System\0001]
"DevLoader"="*NTKERN"
"NTMPDriver"="swenum.sys"
"NoUseClass"="1"
"InfPath"="SWENUM.INF"
"InfSection"="SWENUM"
"ProviderName"="Microsoft"
"DriverDate"=" 4-23-1999"
"DriverDesc"="Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator"
"MatchingDeviceId"="SWENUM"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\Root\SwEnum]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\Root\SwEnum\0000]
"HardwareID"="SWENUM"
"Capabilities"=hex:14,00,00,00
"ClassGUID"="{4d36e97d-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}"
"Class"="SYSTEM"
"Driver"="SYSTEM\\0001"
"ConfigFlags"=hex:00,40,00,00
"Mfg"="Microsoft"
"DeviceDesc"="Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator"
"Serial"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00

70f9 Jan 10, 2006, 05:57pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
How long have you had this sound card, because this issue may result with faulty hardware. I had the same thing happen with a wireless card I had.

Ecs Elite KT 600 Motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 3200+
2 Gigabytes Corsair value select DDR 400
60 Internal, 200 Gig external HDD's
ATI Radeon X850 XT PE
Aspire ATX-AS520W PSU
Creative Audigy LS
Logitech Z-5500 505 Watts
Nec 48-32-48 16-16 Duel Layer
Ramona Clifton Jan 11, 2006, 07:27am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
ok.....I finally broke down and did the windows update and got the latest drivers. It seemed to make it work most of the time....except for the Volumn control kept disapearing. That is a moot point now. The board was old and I decided I needed a new one anyway to handle some graphics rendering I wanted to do. I bought one one of the new Dual Core Processors and Motherboards

Thanks for all of your posts.

Jenni Lee Dec 28, 2007, 10:34pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Try...
Go to "start" click on "run" then type in "msconfig" w/o quotations a window will pop up. click on the "services" tab and click "enable all" then "apply" It will ask to restart. save all unsaved documents and click "restart now". Sounds like you had the same problem as I had, and this fixed mine.

Douglas Hindle Dec 13, 2008, 02:35pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Wow! How long was that to get right?

Here is how I got this to work.
Installed XP. Ran up to SP2. Installed the drivers with the supplied CD just by dropping in the CD. I set up a temp admin account to let it reboot as needed with the option to auto login at reboot. (Then I removed the temp account.) Then I installed SP3

SOUND is abundant!

I wanted to return the motherboard until I got it correct. In installed once it was perfect. I got a virus that Symantec anti-virus could not detect that kept accessing the internet. When I re-installed XP, I went to SP3 first and that is what killed me. I looked though the driver cd and there was no audio driver for xp sp3.

Frank Feb 05, 2011, 11:49pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Found a very simple solution. Troubleshooting by experienced people often ignores simple solution!

1- Start> Run > type in services.msc and Enter
2- Go to Audiosrv. Make sure is not disabled. Make it Automatic, Apply and Start

That is it! Thsi service manages audio service for win based programs. If it is stopped, audio devices wont function properly.

vikram sarate Feb 08, 2011, 04:28am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
go to manage & check sound device enable or disable & reinstal sound card

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.