Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1567 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 25 - 03:41pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

CMOS/GPNV Checksum Bad... 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
J Toth May 12, 2008, 03:17am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: CMOS/GPNV Checksum Bad...
Stacy,

Thank you so much for providing the bios fix! It worked like a charm, and it was actually
a newer bios version than what was on the system before it got corrupted!

In an effort to make things easier for you and others, I have uploaded the file
you sent to rapidshare, so that users can download it directly without you
having to constantly email it, and it makes it so that the users who's email
(like mine) blocks programs from being emailed to receive it!

I entered your email, into the form so it should have sent you a direct link to
the file downloading page.

Here is the link to the file on rapidshare:
http://rapidshare.com/files/114298199/bios_fix.zip.html

Thank you again for your assistance! I now have a usable computer that was a
10 pound paperweight before! :)

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
stacy pantzlaff May 12, 2008, 08:40am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks, I'm glad to see it worked for you. Hopefully now it should be easy for people to access the file.

jhon mccartney Aug 08, 2008, 11:59am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a gateway 500s, with an intel d845pt mobo.
i tried all these steps.i made a bootable floppy disk with all the files, but when i put it in the computer the light for the floppy drive stays on.So i think its broken.
Can someone help me make a bootable cd without a floppy drive?

philip peloquin Jan 13, 2009, 04:32pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jan 13, 2009, 04:34pm EST

thanks for the update i hope this works better than the last time i tried to do it

Matt Murray Mar 22, 2009, 02:20pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have tried all the suggestions on here and I am still having issues. I have the jumper moved and the computer reads the floppy then beeps twice and I am back in the BIOS config. I never get the option to access the floppy and nothing on the floppy auto runs.

If I don't move the jumper I get the Checksum error

If I remove the jumper completely the computer comes on and just sits there. There is nothing on the monitor at all. Sometimes the floppy light comes on and sometimes not. I have left it like this for 30 minutes and nothing ever comes of it.

Any ideas?

angryhippy Mar 22, 2009, 03:18pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
It's not supposed to beep twice. Only once. Can you provide some more info on computer model make, bios brand, and mobo ID? Plus all the other usual specs?

Get Hippied out!
http://www.angryhippy.net
Me at work: http://tinyurl.com/3nvncb3
My rig! A Blah blah.With a blah blah! SWEET! http://tinyurl.com/4yujmff
Da Beast! http://tinyurl.com/3sapr2b
i5 3570K 4.6GHz http://snipurl.com/26r3cot
Win7-8 Pro 64bit
Matt Murray Mar 22, 2009, 05:27pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Through a chain of events that I don't yet fully understand I have recovered the BIOS, updated it, and all is well.

Here is the best version I can give.

I made an Intel BIOS recovery (as opposed to Gateway) and put that in A:
I took the jumper out and restarted and it just ran for 30 minutes.
I turned it off and put the jumper back on
The BIOS failed with the CHECKSUM error.
I put an MS DOS boot disc in A:
I hit F1 and then ESC to exit and ignore the changes.
It booted to DOS and gave me A:
I put in the Gateway recovery disc and ran iflash.exe successfully
restarted
boot failure
restarted
hit F1
hit F9 for defaults
hit F10
restarted

Windows is up and tells me the BIOS upgrade failed (the failure that lead to all of this)

All is well...wow...all this for a free computer I was just playing around with and was going to give to my daughters for their playroom.

What a learning experience. This thread gave me such inspiration and I joined this site today just to be able to comment on this thread

Victory is fun!

I ran an Intel BIOS upgrade on a Gateway PC and paid for it. Lesson learned.

angryhippy Mar 22, 2009, 07:52pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
You have to be really careful about that. I warned that girl in an earlier post about flashing different BIOS's. I have a new ABIT IP35Pro. I was flashing the BIOS in windows (I know better) and the system crashed right in the middle of it. Basically it left me with a square frisbee. Luckily the CMOS chips are removable and a new pre-programmed one is available for pretty much any mobo for around $25 -$30. The guy I found is an authorized ABIT repair place, and he just sent me a new chip for free. Glad you got it sorted out.

Get Hippied out!
http://www.angryhippy.net
Me at work: http://tinyurl.com/3nvncb3
My rig! A Blah blah.With a blah blah! SWEET! http://tinyurl.com/4yujmff
Da Beast! http://tinyurl.com/3sapr2b
i5 3570K 4.6GHz http://snipurl.com/26r3cot
Win7-8 Pro 64bit
Matt Murray Mar 22, 2009, 08:26pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I would never do this with my real machine (Quad 2.5 with 4G RAM). But this was a free machine so I did things just for fun. Now that I am done with this I can get back to my first Linux box running Ubuntu.

But I can state without a doubt that flashing the BIOS without being 100% certain can lead to a mess. Tread lightly.

mtm

stacy pantzlaff Mar 22, 2009, 08:59pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Keep in mind you are only using this bios I put together if you have already hosed you bios. As in accidentally putting an Intel Bios into your Gateway motherboard. People can easily do this as Belarc advisor recognizes it as an Intel MB and not a Gateway. I am not telling people to use this as a bios upgrade, it is simply to recover their accidentally damaged motherboard. I will take my numerous thank you's over the few who criticize me for trying to be helpful. If anyone still needs the file I still have it.

Chris Je Mar 31, 2009, 10:20am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
A thousand thank you's are in order Stacey!!!

Your fix worked beautifully to get me out of what was probably the biggest F-up I ever got myself into on my computer.

I'm also working on a Gateway 500SE. I foolishly tried to flash my BIOS from Windows, for no good reason. Actually I bought some RAM off Ebay, which my machine won't recognize, and I can't return. Somewhere on the net, I was told to try to flash BIOS. I've heard this was (potentially) a nasty thing to get into, but I always seem to make things work. Anyway, during the flash process, the computer hung. I waited about an hour, then restarted. Nothing but the cmos/gpnv error.

I was able to enter BIOS setup, but it was no help. I couldn't load default BIOS or anything. I tried a hundred different things/combinations. Thankfully my machine has a floppy drive. Somehow I started looking through my floppies, which I never use, and somehow, on a whim I had created a MS-DOS startup disk. Even though I didn't know what I would ever do with it, I know that they come in handy.

The trick, for me was getting the machine to "boot" from floppy. Every time a restart, the lights cycle on all my drives, but none of them would read anything you put in them. Somehow, after trying a million different key combos, I pressed F8 during startup, which enabled the floppy to work. I don't know if I changed the jumper setting at the same time or not. Maybe. Anyway, once I was in DOS, I ejected the floppy, put in your BIOS fix floppy, typed dir, ran IFLASH.EXE, and IT WORKED!!!!

Amazing!

I actually had to take the floppy drive out of my corrupted machine, install it in my other machine, which didn't even have a bay for it, I just had it hanging out of the side. :D I had to do this to put make the disc with your files on it

. All in all, I figure I spent 12 to 14 hours on figuring this whole mess out. I couldn't have done it without you. Thanks again!!!

And, of course, the RAM still wouldn't work. I still have work to do, though, since the machine that went down was my #1 machine, I took the wireless card, DVD burner, extra HD and put them all in my #2 machine. UGH. I installed big apps that I don't need on that computer, now I need to get it all back. OH well. I'm just glad to get my machine back working at NO COST!

So, in short, if anyone else is stuck, try F8 during startup to boot from floppy. Get into DOS, then use your awesome BIOS fix floppy!

Kudos to the user who put the files on Rapid Share, as well.

mike burwell Dec 19, 2009, 04:29pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: CMOS/GPNV Checksum Bad... I think I mastered it finally.
http://www.intel.com/support/network/adapter/pro100/bootagent/...008196.htm

YOU MUST HAVE A COPY OF DOS 6.22 TO COMPLETE THIS PROCESS. THANK GOD i HAD ONE STILL.

This IS where I found my answer. I could not do anything until I found this page. Hope it works and hope it fixes everyones problem.

Step 1. Use a new unformatted floppy drive 3.5

Step 2. http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/getFile.asp?id=1912...;dscr=BIOS Update for the El Paso 2 Motherboard , version PT84510A.15A.0007.P04 DOWNLOAD this file....7513332.exe to your desktop. Step 3. On your desktop dble click this file, it will self extract to your cabs file. Step 4. DBL CLICK my computer,,c:\,,cabs,,7513332.exe. From the edit menu click EDIT,, SELECT ALL,, COPY.

Step 4. DBL CLICK MYCOMPUTER. dbl click floppy drive A:\,, From the edit menu, click paste. THIS SHOULD PASTE ALL THOSE FILES TO YOUR NEW FLOPPY DRIVE.

NOW,,, on the computer that is having the problem... insert the DISK you made having the new BIOS file 7153332.exe in the floppy drive. while STARTING YOUR COMPUTER press and hold the CONTROL KEY AND THE HOME KEY at the same time. When a screen comes up you will be able to go to A:\ prompt. at that prompt type IFLASH.EXE. If it says it did not work,,,, try it agina s it took me two attempts to make this work at this point. When it is done,, make sure your BIOS is correct. If you resart your computer and that Dreaded screen comes back up, restart your computer with cntrl+alt+del and AGAIN hold the cntrl+home key again to get to the A:\ Prompt. EJECT the disk that has the 7153332.exe file on it and insert the DISK#1 DOS 6.22 and type at the prompt setup.exe . This will install the dos file needed to be able to read the A:\ prompt and the CD crive. INstall all of the DOS disks, of which there should be 3. Then insert your OPERATING DISK that came with your computer with WINDOWS XP on it into the CD ROM. Restart your computer. when the screen says PRESS ANY KEY TO BOOT FROM CD,,, press the enter button. Continue with a new installation of the WINDOWS XP program and you should be up and running. HOPE THIS ANSWERS ALL OF YOUR QUESTIONS.

THIS TOOK ME 4 FULL DAYS OF RUNNING BACK AND FORTH BETWEEN COMPUTERS UNTILL I FINALLY DID GET WINDOWS TO REINSTALL ON THE BAD COMPUTER. AS YOU ARE READING THIS I AM INSTALLING WINDOWS XP ON THAT GATEWAY 5003 WITH THE INTEL E3600 MOTHORBOARD IN IT.

BIG NOTE. WHEN YOU GET TO A SCREEN IN THE IFLASH.EXE portion, there will be a screen that asks you to unblock drives or periphials. MAKES SURE YOU UNBLOCK THOSE AND YOU SHOULD BE FLYIN IN NO TIME.

HOPE THIS HELPS OUT ALL THAT NEED THIS INFORMATION.

SURE IF YOU NEED TO YOU CAN CONTACT ME ONLY ON THE PROBLEM WITH THE GATEWAY 500S. ANY OTHER COMOUTER I AM NOT SURE ABOUT

bhupendra niroula Feb 14, 2010, 05:46am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
When I give power supply to the pc, the pc starts automatically without switching on the cpu by me.

when the pc starts automatically, the error message shows. The error message is

CMOS/GPNV CHECKSUM BAD.

any one have the idea about it?
please help me.

larry cross Jan 16, 2011, 02:15pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
please send fix thanks

Pankaj Bisht Sep 25, 2011, 11:51pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi friends, to remove the 'CMOS/GPNV Checksum Bad' error at the time of booting process, you have to replace the CMOS battery.

eric hohn Oct 06, 2012, 08:11pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
plz send me the file to ersahohn@comcast.net thx

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.