Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1090 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s July 22 - 06:42am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Password protected Hard drive 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>
Julie Angarone Jan 07, 2005, 01:41pm EST Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Password protected Hard drive
For my Dell Inspiron 600m - Dell support was in fact helpful - though the problem might have been a little different - only once in a while did the computer ask for a HDD password- other times it booted normally.

SO Dell had me remove the HD. Then turn the computer on, F2 for bios, Alt-F to restore BIOS defaults - relpace HD, reboot- lovely . I then updateed the bios since it was pretty old. Hope this helps someone!!

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
John Arends Jan 18, 2005, 08:56pm EST Report Abuse

Edited: Jan 18, 2005, 09:03pm EST

Hi Mark, and other hdp-burdoned visitors of this topic...

Nice copywork from MY awnser : http://www.experts-exchange.com/Storage/Q_21197847.html
Revisit to read my followup wich you forgot (I made some errors in the first one & added some updates).

If you can download the correct hdd-firmware (microcode) you can hack it, then 'flash' the harddrive with hacked one since this command is not rejected. Would'n surprise me if alot of them are ready downloadable (packed with original). Pretty much like a no cd crack.

Gordon: the price I mentioned is the price vogon sales department gave me. This was a starting price, and the password-crackerbox was called 'exclusive' and not to be sold to non long-established corporations. I can prove i'm not bullshitting, I record all my phonecalls. As for the new russian, i'm expecting pricelist for english version this week; I'll give an update. I also stated that te price was an estimated price (wich was given to me at both their russian & canadian office).

Now I realize my first post might not be concidered the most frendly one, wich was not my full intention (my apollogy's), but i'm allergic to bullshit and copywork without credits...

If i find new info, i'll update here, promise ;-)

Frendly greetings,

AlfaLAN

Justin Philip Feb 02, 2005, 03:27am EST Report Abuse
Hello all ! I was doing my weekly search on password protected hard drives and came upon this site which I found quite interesting. I've had my share of password
protected hard drives and to date, have never been able to resolve the issue. So I stack them high and wait for the day that (hopefully soon) some progress will be
made. But I did want to offer what I've come to learn from the many months/years of researching and trial and error. Well to begin with, I deal with laptop. I'm a
re-seller. I buy into lots of laptop hard drives (working and non working) which is a must to build systems of course. I have come across many that are password
protected. Spending days on end to try to bypass these protected hard drives is basically a waste of time. But here are some thoughts to ponder if it encourages
anyone to take it up to another level. I recently read an article where a proposal has been made to "hard drive" manufacturers that will allow DOD-5220-22M
ERASE functions to clear the passwords from hard drives. While this may sound logical to everyone, in the eyes of the hand full of manufacturer that make drives, it
quite possible this will never happen and they will opposed it. It makes perfect sense that they would rather have us throw our perfectly good working hard drives
away and buy new ones from them instead. So I continue to wait. I also did read somewhere (I've read so many articles I forget where) that it is possible to scan
the entire disc (platters) and compile it over to C+ in text, but I can only assume that depending on the size of the hard drive, this make take hours if not days and a
lot of resource. But the idea seems to be sound. Now so I don't confuse anyone, it is a known fact, that if a hard drive is locked, typically if a right password is not
issued, the hard drive will not allow read & write functions as well as allow itself to be detected after the o/s has booted. So here is where it gets interesting. What
I've learned is, that the security mode can be "frozen" on drives if the drive is installed in older hardware. As an example, you can take your locked hard drive, install
it in a system which isn't locked such as Think Pad, issue a "administrator" password, reboot the machine, (may take a few tries) and then reissue a hard drive
password for the locked drive. This in turn confuses the hard drive, it's security mode then becomes frozen, and you can then get the drive to detect after your o/s
has booted. This of course now allows you to scan the platters for the hidden password. I also read that if there is any unused space available on the hard drive,
you can then enter the hard drive while the security mode is frozen, partition the unused portion, then run a complete disk backup or image. Once made, you can
then sift through the many bytes of information in hopes of finding a string that may resemble a password, but the only down fall will be, for ever string that you think
might be the password, you'll of course have to try it. You may get lucky, you may spend days, months, god only knows. Anyhow, in regards to frozen mode,
eventually, after fiddling around and after so many reboots, the hard drive either resets back to it's "high" security mode, or it stays frozen until the right password has
unlocked it. Another thing I did want to mention in regards to password protected hardware such as laptops is, that if you have a laptop that is password protected,
and find that the run around getting it unlocked with the manufacturer is basically a waste of time (I've had a lot of success with Hp ~ they're really helpful), you can
replace the eeprom on the motherboard and unlock it that way. I know, I've done it quite a few times when the systems value were worth buying the eeprom chip
and short from replacing the motherboard. I know some say, throw the laptop away, or replace the motherboard, but in certain circumstances it's viable to just
replace the eeprom instead. Oh, on a last note for those wanna bee I think I can fix hard drive people out there, if you find someone selling a hard drive that says it
just doesn't detect and think "hey ~ I can replace the circuit board and revive it", think again. A lot of those hard drive are actually password protected and the seller
just doesn't realize it. I know, I've bought so many only to find that the real problem was "password" and nothing else. Oh what the heck, and for those of you using
those "freebie" low level format utilities out there like DFT for example or worse, buying it, as well as paying a lot of money for equipment that says" it can re
program a hard drive to remap bad areas of the media, that too is not necessarily true. You'll find 9 out of 10 times just patching bad clusters are not only the easiest
way to go, but the least time consuming and inexpensive route. Sorry I made this so long, but I only hope it helps anyone out there the time and energy in trying to
unlock hard drives with password. Your best bet like many have already said, take a hammer to it if it has your personal information, and just buy a new one.
Hopefully, soon, the average layman will be able to run a DOD erase (defeating the purpose) and be able to re use hard drives without breaching any security.

Justin Philip Feb 02, 2005, 03:42pm EST Report Abuse
Additional thoughts that came to mind after submitting my last post. The idea of re flashing hard drives sound interesting, but knowing hard drive manufacturers, and even if it's possible to find the right flash for the particular drive you have, I would think the programming (flash) would include a switch should it find a password either prompt that the password be issued before the flash can proceed, or perhaps re flash with the same password in place. This makes me wonder. Also, another thing to ponder is, pretty much new laptops BIOS have the ability to check & confirm with a hard drive when a password is submitted. So I wonder, since this happens at POST, is it possible to to retrieve the hidden password while the CMOS is checking. I thought hmmm, connect a printer, somehow invoke some kind of command that issues output to the printer for example and displays what CMOS is doing while it's checking the hard drive for confirmation. Just more junk in the trunk to ponder. But like I said in my ealier post, cracking or bypassing hard drive passwords is definately a challenge for the average layman. Oh, and to all, sorry my last post looks like it got blown up. I don't know how that happened. Maybe a little too much text in that post that made it appear with all those return lines.

MI Valentine Feb 12, 2005, 11:08pm EST Report Abuse
you can try http://www.ultratec.co.uk. they can either unlock your drive for a fee or maybe buy your old password protected drives... You will need about 20+ for sale I think

Dimitri Zanopov Feb 15, 2005, 10:10am EST Report Abuse
just a thought:
I have an older Dell laptop. when trying to use a FUJITSU HDD it said "password protected HDD".
The strange thing is that the HDD could be used in the modular bay.
I finally found out that the HDD had the jumper set to "cable select". I removed the jumper, now works.
So the HDD was _NOT_ actually protected, but the laptop thought so, for some strange reason because cable select was active.

Regards.

christophe christophe Feb 19, 2005, 02:55pm EST Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 19, 2005, 03:04pm EST

it seems there is always a way to unlock those drives, depending on your hard drive brand the following utility claim to do it:
http://a-ff.com/products/rrs/drives/
>>
Repair Station™ is the fastest and cheapest data recovery service today. It was developed for:

* remote recovering drives with system area problems
* remote unlocking drives which are locked with ATA passwords (with security level HIGH or MAXIMUM).
<<

also you can try this (ATA password tools, also available on ubcd:ultimate boot cd)
http://www.rockbox.org/lock.html

in my concern i have a 20gb toshiba drive and:
-i wont pay the $56 for repair station just for this hd, better buying a new one.
-ata password tool launch and identify successfully my locker hd ( high ) but the default passwords wont work.

so i am still stuck

christophe christophe Feb 19, 2005, 03:48pm EST Report Abuse
and btw what do they mean in remote repair station when they say:
"DRIVE IS LOCKED. You can break passwords using repair station."

they actually "break" the password and not only using a backdoor password?

interesting isnt it? ...

the fact is that my drive is healthy but because i did put it in another laptop it get locked.
now i must pay to unlock it? i mean more than that, as a basic customer you have this kind of protection
when you buy a hd, that you wont remove ( because buying a new one will cost the same ), and in the other side, if the hd was stollen, you can still revover data despite of that protection just by paying for it?

and i dont even talk about the brands who implement it with bare empty or space ata passwords, its plenty unusefull.

i can just sum up by saying this: your drive is locked? you can unlock it with some money ( almost better buying a new one ) , you cant pay this money? well, like me you are stuck with a working locked hd :D

David Huang Mar 03, 2005, 02:09pm EST Report Abuse
I'm work in IT in a company that has a ton of these IBM laptops. And as a policy we have our hard drives locked as well. We have typically two-three passwords set:
Power-on;
HardDrive/Supervisor

The reason that I group HardDrive and Supervisor, is that when we transfer hard drives, and sometimes we do forget the password. We just reset the supervisor password and it'll automatically overwrite the Hard drive password for us. I just reverified this technique on one of our IBM 570's (really old I know) But perhaps, if it doesn't work for you, all you need is an old IBM 570.

Let me know if this works for any of you.

John Arends Mar 04, 2005, 02:21pm EST Report Abuse
Hi everyone,

As promised, back with the info (allthough late, but I got the info in just today myself):

Russian PC3K will be ready translation end of march, cost: 1540 Euro (all needed for this goal & repairing hdd's...)
SCSI addon: 430 Euro
Datarecovery soft (translation finished in April): 920 Euro
Export & Paperwork: 300 Euro (whatever this means).
(can you beat this price Gordon?)

Justin: thanks for the extended info!!! Have you tried to create a partition/image disk on a locked disk? I had it showing up in win2k, but it rejected all my commands (exept the usual ones), also I did'nt get access with my disk-editor (wich seemed obvious to me).

Tim Motsam Mar 09, 2005, 05:46pm EST Report Abuse
David,
I tried your suggestion of using a Thinkpad 570 to reset the password. I used a 570e.

When I plug in the password protected drive ( from thinkpad 380 and Dell CPi notebooks) in the 570, I can not enter the bios to reset the supervisor password. Without the drive installed, I can enter by pressing the F1 key during boot up. With the drive installed, the F1 key does not get me to the bios settings page. I get the locked drive icon on the screen asking for the password. At that point, my only option seems to be to enter the correct password. Three incorrect trys and the machine shuts down.

I tried powering up without the drive installed, entered the bios screen and then hot plugged the hard drive.... no joy, didn't hurt anything but changing the supervisor password did not affect the hard drive's password, probably because the bios already passed the hard drive detection and recognition stage. On reboot, I had to enter my supervisor password and then the hard drive password, which was not changed to the new supervisor password.

My question is " How can I enter the bios settings with the password protected hard drive installed?"

Help!!!!! I have ove 30 notebook hard drives with passwords, don't want the information on them, just want to be able to format them and re-use them.

Dan Jones Mar 14, 2005, 06:36pm EST Report Abuse
I have managed to unlock IBM laptop drives, i have done roughly about 74. They are quite hard to unlock the security. Travelstars are the easist, and your DJSA-220 can be easily unlocked. The procedure is not easy and does not always work but has a high sucess rate.

It takes about 5 minutes to do, but I cant tell you how.

Alberto Reggianini Mar 18, 2005, 08:57am EST Report Abuse
I also have i DJSA-200 unvoluntary locked by my son :-(( Coul you give to me the procedure to unlock-it?

Thanks in advance, Alberto

udung gaya Apr 26, 2005, 04:56am EDT Report Abuse
mr. jones... plz

any1 with same problem for HDD PASSWORD. if you really can help us, you can tell us how. or writing email how to resolve this. alot of money will spend if you are not helping us !

John Arends Apr 26, 2005, 11:34am EDT Report Abuse
A lot of IBM laptops (model T & X) have a 'bug' by design.
Suppose you where the admin of a company who gave the full managementstaff a laptop.
Suppose management is having a meeting right now, and you want to update virus-defenitions.
Suppose those laptops are connected to the network, but switched off.
Yes, you guessed it; waking them with a WOL on the laptops-own mac-address will boot them (just as promised in the IBM service-manual ;-)).

So now you got access ;-) but don't know what to do next? Read my other posts to find out the password-addresses ;-)

Alberto Reggianini Apr 28, 2005, 03:55am EDT Report Abuse
I tried the WOL solution on a Thinkpad T30, and it doesn't works, the pc powers on but after few seconds powers off.
To just access (not read o write) a protect drive i found another solution: i put the drive in the ultrabay as a
secondary disk when windows is running; the drive is recognized but non drive letter is assigned to it.
After i attached an external floppy drive and i select restart from windows. The pc restarts without
asking any password and if i boot from a floppy the protected disk can be seen or inquired.
So in this configuration the firmware colud be upgraded but the problem remains how to hack the firmware.......

TERMINAL Connect Apr 29, 2005, 06:49pm EDT Report Abuse
I'm interested in the DJSA-220 unlocking and was wondering if anyone has had success at this?
Repair station does work on Toshiba brand drives, I know this because they have unlocked 6 so far for me.

Craven Moorehead May 11, 2005, 08:09am EDT Report Abuse
I cant believe this! Nobody has figured this one out yet! Geez I gotta a feaking Samsung X10 thas worth over 3 grand and I cant use the crap. My dumb wanna be tech brother screwed around with my notebook and some how put a freaking password on it and and forgot it. Then check this load of crap out, I bought this from a old friend thats now locked up behind bars becuase he lacks the intelligence for legal business ethics. So you know what this means, your right its most likely stolen. This sucks big big big for me now cause I gave the guy a good amount iof change for it. Im scared to even find out if it is stolen or not for the reason of me being accused of doing the crime, I can see it now , me behind bars for a few years and after losing the house and kids I will think back wow maybe I should have just gone down to Worst Buy oops I mean Best Buy and got ripped off like everyone else. Wow it never wins to save a buck these days its just not freaking worth it. Hey screw it Im gonna go right to the police and ask if it is stolen that would be the right thing to do. Maybe the owner will give a reward if is stolen.LOL OMG I gonna go nuts

Ryan Cramer May 11, 2005, 01:52pm EDT Report Abuse
Hey, just another stumped geek with the same problem that most of you have. Little white padlock with a HDD icon next to when I boot up this ThinkPad. Like most of you, pulling the Cmos battery, and all other power connections doesn't work. Neither does anythig else I've tried. The only thing I haven't tried yet is replacing the HDD. I don't want to spend the money buying a new drive, if it's not going to fix the problem. Anyone know if this will work, or is the password somehow configured to lock the Bios and the HDD?

Ryan
When it comes to computers, the ridiculous and ludicrous is usually the correct answer; Either that or just reboot the machine.

Craven Moorehead May 11, 2005, 06:27pm EDT Report Abuse
I just yanked the hd out and got a positive result. it bypassed the hdd password and went straight to boot disk so you can just replace the hd and wahla you are in there

This thread has been locked by forum moderators and no further posts are allowed.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.