Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1206 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s July 22 - 01:26pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Hard Drives /

Password protected Hard drive 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>
TERMINAL Connect May 11, 2005, 06:36pm EDT Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Password protected Hard drive
That still doesn't unlock the Hdd.There was a guy on here who says he can do the travelstars but i have my doubts.He says he can unlock them but he hasn't been able to tell anyone how.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Keith Schawel May 11, 2005, 11:00pm EDT Report Abuse
I don't have doubts. I believe it is very possible. I do not know why he is not telling us though. I have been watching this thread since last November and I have been learning a lot. Since I really don't _care_ if my hard drive(s) get(s) unlocked or not, I am just going to keep watching. I just hope that someone will come along that not only knows what to do, but has the balls to tell us.

Keith

Craven Moorehead May 12, 2005, 12:05am EDT Report Abuse
Right on point Keith! There is a bunch of no ball having greedy people that dont want to share info. There just has to be a way of getting past this bull@$!& ! Everything else can be hacked and nobody can freaking get around a HDD password . It drives me nuts, after years of building hundreds of pcs troubleshooting and now a HDD password I cant get passed oh well

TERMINAL Connect May 12, 2005, 07:23am EDT Report Abuse
I've also done alot of research on the subject, unlocking thinkpad supervisor passwords has been solved by Joe in Australia,but he isn't offering the service for free,and A-FF repairstation has figured out the Toshiba, Fujitsu, non-travelstar Hitachi's HDD's but they say they can only do the travelstars in their laboratory, but once again they aren't offering anything for free.As soon as i find out anything i'll be sure to post it, as i think if it is as simple as a little software program i'll be sure to post it for everyone to use.Or at least i'll post the proceedure for doing it.

fred purles May 22, 2005, 02:41pm EDT Report Abuse
Hello, ive been buying and selling laptops for a while, i still come ascross password protected harddrives. i have managed to get around it. its little mac trick... i used morphix (newest linux OS) on a mac, and sure enough it identifies the drive.. unlike ibm compatible bios progams which just say there
is no hdd present.. very handy.. also asks you to enter a new admin
password.. Give it a go, let me know how you get on...

Dulce Bilog May 26, 2005, 06:53pm EDT Report Abuse
I don't understand why that guy wouldn't just say how he bypassed the hdd? I mean I do but I honestly think he didn't figure it out!!!

AMD FX53
ASUS SLI MB
2 XFX 6800 ULTRA SLI
2 RAPTORS
WINDOWS XP
mark corby Jun 16, 2005, 12:14pm EDT Report Abuse
This is all interesting stuff have a really good look at this url for an ibm thinkpad 600
http://www./ja.axxs.net/unlock/key_for_600.htm
it gives a very good idea of how its done
Basically you need to download the manual for the laptop
identify the eeprom
buy an eeprom reader
connect the reader to chip(not too sure of how but theres instructions there)
and read the info
the passord will be in there somewhere>
Ideally you want to connect the reader to an eeprom chip with no password set
save the info and then run a prog that checks for differences between the 2
thatll be your password
Obviously this will only work if the password for motherboard and hard drive are the same
If you have the hard drive by itself i dont know.

mark corby Jun 16, 2005, 12:23pm EDT Report Abuse
Ps, also if youre going to this trouble you can get
eeprom24c01 chips for about seventy cents each theyre cheap enough,
but youll have to programme them with your eeprom programmer reader,
take out the old chip and put the new one in .
This still wont work for getting the password though
and youll still be locked out of the drive.

James McGuire Jun 23, 2005, 04:03am EDT Report Abuse
this url looks very promising:
http://www.rockbox.org/lock.html
I will try this next morning. :)

mark corby Jun 26, 2005, 04:43am EDT Report Abuse
Theres a program called Partition Table Doctor
which looked promising
type it in google and go to the homepage
It automatically fixes the boot sector of
a hard drive
You can download a free trial,
so at least youll be able to get access to it
and format it hopefully
Havent tried it yet though.

Keith Schawel Jun 26, 2005, 11:55pm EDT Report Abuse
Mark Corby, I don't believe the ATA-password lives in the boot sector. As far as I understand, it is a separate part of the hard drive and since the HDD is locked, you cannot read/write from it anyway (thus negating even the ability to rewrite the boot sector). I appreciate the response and wish you well with that program, but I think you are on a dead end trail with that one.

At least this thread is still alive though. Let's keep it going. I'm subscribed to it and I'm sure many others are too.

Cheers,
Keith

Ha Net Jul 02, 2005, 12:54pm EDT Report Abuse

Edited: Jul 02, 2005, 12:56pm EDT

I guess if the disk is only 50 quids worth, why not just throw it away and get another ?.

Saying that i set my toshiba laptop security to maximum, only because i was travelling alot and yes like normal people i forgott the bloody thing. Now when youve got all your emails and sales lists and everything else locked in the laptop, you wonder when the heart attack is supposed to kick in.

I read this site a year ago but forgett the bookmark because it was on the locked laptop :o(. So in desperation I tried everything, well short of driving over it with the car. Anyway After contacting many different companies and suffering days of repeat heart problems and how to tell your boss excuses I was blessed. One of my clients had this problem so gave me this contact http://www.diskeng.com/security.htm.

I dont believe i will ever be in this possition again but it was a sad story with a happy ending, the boss does not know even today, thanks for the paid sick days !.

Keith Schawel Jul 02, 2005, 06:26pm EDT Report Abuse
You ask why we don't just throw these away and get new ones? Well, I have gotten new drives. I don't care about the data on them. The reason I still care is more out of curiosity or a hobby than actually needing the drive. Also, if I do get it recovered, I have a free drive.

Bottom line, I really don't care if this thread gets resolved or not. You gave a link for a company that does this type of recovery. So there is a way to make our drives usable again: for free.

Cheers,
Keith

Robert Benotti Jul 03, 2005, 07:37pm EDT Report Abuse
I have bin dealing with this same problem for about 13-14 months. I buy and sell on eBay and have come accross a snot load of locked hard drives...I have tryed brute force, dictonary, and other hack's, and have yet to find an unlocking program...I mean, I could care less about the data on the 20 someodd drives I have that are locked...I want to format and re-sell. Thats all, and not have to pay some $hit head 50 bucks for a drive I couldn't sell for 20...Well the reason I'm posting is because Im looking for an up to date Brute force program for Xp...If any one knows of one...lets see it. I will keep looking for a cheap way to unlock these little son's of b....'s, Lets hope someone will let the masses know how to do it...Keep the faith and say a prayr for our boy's oversea's. Thanks

James McGuire Jul 03, 2005, 09:20pm EDT Report Abuse
are there any known brute force programs for any operating system?

Joe Garrett Jul 19, 2005, 12:07pm EDT Report Abuse
So, I have seen a program that does read the ID String of the hdd for a system that has been locked. The program can be found by searching through google (of course)...MastID.

Note: MastID works two fold (it can be used to reset bios specific pwd and hdd specific pwd).

In a nutshell the bios has the hardware id string of the offending hdd. This string is whats used to create the alogorithm used to pwd protect the drive. To disable the pwd (or retrieve it use mastid to read in the hdd string).

You will need to use a bootable floppy...and you are likely to have to change your boot up options (Floppy | CDROM | HDD | Network).

There are more helpful documents online that should give you and idea of how to use this program in your unlocking efforts. Though, personally I would just replace the drive.

Thank You,

James Estep Aug 11, 2005, 04:25pm EDT Report Abuse

Edited: Aug 11, 2005, 04:26pm EDT

I haven't been able to find any free ways to unlock hard drives either, though I did spend a day scouring the web and trying everything in this thread. However, my client did agree to pay the $69.50 to have the drive unlocked using AF-F Repair Station.

I just wanted to let you guys know that it worked like a charm. I ran a recovery on a Fujitsu MTH2040AH laptop hard drive from a Dell Latitude D600, having connected the drive as the secondary master on my workstation. It only took 2-3 minutes, and after it finished and I did a hard reset, the drive was accessible again. I made an image of the drive just to be safe, then I popped it back into the laptop. It booted and loaded Windows without problems.

teen geek Sep 16, 2005, 06:20pm EDT Report Abuse
OK, you guys make sense... I understand what you're talking about. A harddrive is just a bunch of magnets, pointing north or south, right? What if you ran a very strong magnet over the top of the drive? Wouldn't it just wipe EVERY sector, even the ones that store this kind of stuff? It would remove all partitons, unformat the drive, even fill the partition table with gobbeldygook. Wouldn't that work? I'm getting a locked drive from a friend, and will try it out. I've actually got a magnet out of a dead 3.5" hard drive that is EXTREMELY strong.

teen geek Sep 16, 2005, 06:22pm EDT Report Abuse
Then agian, it depends on how many platters the drive has. I've never opened up a laptop hd, but I assume they're one platter, double sided, being how thin they are.

Keith Schawel Sep 16, 2005, 10:06pm EDT Report Abuse
I wish you luck with the magnet thing but I can tell you now that it probably won't work. With the density of the hard drives now I doubt you can find a magnet strong enough to erase data that you can hold in your hand. Also, even if you could get the hard drive platters completely erased, I would be skeptical as to whether you could even get the HDD working again. Like I said, good luck. But don't count on it.

This thread has been locked by forum moderators and no further posts are allowed.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.