Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 741 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s January 18 - 10:56am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Notebook Upgrading, how and why?

Vaio laptop harddrives... 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
carol kim Apr 10, 2003, 06:59pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Vaio laptop harddrives...
I've had a PCG-XRS77 since Feb 2002, so that makes a year and 2 months for my HD.. it's been clicking away noisily for the past few months, and recently got banged which totally did it in. (i'm a bit wreckless i'm afraid). opening it up for fun, but looking on eBay for a replacement now.

ps: my battery doesn't last too long anymore (went for several hours brand new, but after 3 months, went down to 1.5 hours) maybe an hour max. is that normal?

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
eric holeman Jun 07, 2003, 12:43am EDT Report Abuse

G Dodge Sep 04, 2003, 04:49pm EDT Report Abuse
Know this just slightly "bends" the topic - but I'm trying to replace the latch on a Vaio PCG-FXA33 - which means I've got to take the LCD screen apart, which is not intuitively obvious - anybody know how to split the 2 plastic "halves" (um, like, correctly so I can put them back together again...) ?

As noted elsewhere on this site, Sony won't sell a repair manual, and the "Manuals are Us" folks can't get one either

thanks,
GreyD

snsei - Nov 05, 2003, 01:15am EST Report Abuse
There is a guy who sells a vaio laptop lcd repair manual on ebay. It has photo's and a detailed description of how to take the screen apart. It's only $15.

Stephen Berman Jan 07, 2004, 04:01am EST Report Abuse
Hi Everyone. Just a few notes . I did manage to find a great source for Hard drive replacements on eBay that went up to a 80 Gig that was very reasonable .

Second I totally agree with everyone on trying to get any info from Sony when it comes to anything other than part replacement. No real help there.

Third .I am in a dilema .I have a old by todays standards Laptop mod PCG F 430 that crashed reasently and I have misplaced the recovery disc,s .Sony of course does not carry them any more and it seems that it is the only way I can do any upgrading to other OS eg. XP without doing a upgrade .If you do a clean install it will not allow you update the Bios or any of the drivers from the sony web site. It needs some key stuff from the original OS in order to proceed with the updates. Acording to Sony they had modified the os at the time so it became proprietory to this laptop .
If any one can get me a copy of there Recovery Disc,s ( i believe there are 2 disc's) at a reasonable price I would be most grateful.

Paul K Aug 05, 2004, 09:53pm EDT Report Abuse
Hi

Does anyone know if the HD is easy to replace a sony vaio PCG-R600HFP its clicking, If so whats the max I can go to . Also Is there a way to get the operating system installed without using an iLink cd rom, as that seems to be the only way as far as I see and I only have a external USB cdrom, I do have an IDE connverter cable cable that would alow me to rig the new HD up to my desktop pc, dunno if I could load the OS like this but thought I would ask anyway.

Cheers
Paul

If it aint broke dont fix it

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.