Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 904 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 25 - 11:17am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Other Hardware /

which RAM? Corsair or Kingston HyperX? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3
Col Dec 09, 2004, 06:52pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Dec 09, 2004, 06:59pm EST

>> Re: which RAM? Corsair or Kingston HyperX?
I have used Corsair, I had it for 3 months and then sold it and got the Crucial. Before that, I used Generic ram. I base my information on my experience and the reviews that I have seen.

Corsair are very good, however, It is £35 more than the Crucial. the same as Geil and £20 cheaper than the OCZ, unfortunately though, it underperforms against all of these at the moment, I just feel they haven't quite got the same quality product as their competitors in this round!

All I can say, is check out the review I saw, the second one has all the memory makes we are talking about!

http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2226

http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2145

An Extract from the review

"The only memory that duplicated the Intel results on Athlon 64 was the Crucial Ballistics PC3200, based on Micron chips. Across the entire range from DDR400 to DDR514, the Ballistix performed at the same voltages and timings that it displayed on the Intel test bed. This performance reminds us that Micron memory chips are also used in OCZ 3500EB and 3700EB, which also perform as well on Athlon 64 as they do on an Intel board.

For now, we would recommend Crucial Ballistix or OCZ 3500EB/3700EB as first choice on Athlon 64 motherboards. If you prefer one of the memories using Samsung chips, then the OCZ PC3200 Platinum Rev. 2 was the only Samsung memory to work reliably at DDR500. The evidence leads us to believe that the Micron chips perform much better on Athlon 64 than Samsung chips, but this is something that will require more investigation. We are putting together a more in-depth look at the performance of a full range of memory types on Athlon 64 in an upcoming review."

Asus A8V Deluxe
AMD X2 4600
1 GB Crucial Ballistix
X800 PRO
2 x 200 GB SATA WD HD
Pioneer DVR 108 DVD RW
Audigy 2 ZS
Lian Li PC60
430 Watt Antec PSU
Samsung 172x TFT
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Predator Dec 09, 2004, 09:01pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
You dont have much of an opinion about HyperX do you?

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
DFI LanParty UT nForce4 Ultra-D

New Forum: http://www.cyberitforums.com
Carter Sudeith Dec 09, 2004, 09:09pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
It's a SLAUGHTER. OCZ is superior in every way, shape, and form.

Predator Dec 09, 2004, 09:17pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
And thats coming from a biased person. I want a CLEAR opinion.

James Marlin Dec 09, 2004, 09:54pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
How about this...

The comp in my sig was using Kingston HyperX 3700, a matched pair 256mb each with heatsinks that I bought for around $200Cn, when I first set up the system.
I found that I couldn't run a 200FSB and the memory in "dual channel", as well I had to have the spread spectrum set at 100%, which brought my CPU speed down slightly.
This was the only way to make the system 100% stable.

I decided to go from 512mb to 1g of memory. This time I bought a matched pair of Corsair "Value Select" 3200 512mb each, no heatsinks, for about $210Cn (need to update my sig).
Solid as a rock, "dual channel" at 200FSB, with the spread spectrum disabled, so I have a true 2.4 gig.

More memory, cheaper per mb, 2.5 cas at 200FSB compared to 3. The only thing I'm missing is the 3700 rating. I think it's pretty safe to say I won't be buying any more Kingston Ram. You get a big vote for Corsair from me.

Athlon XP M 2500+ (12x200FSB=2.4 ghz, PR 3500+), Soltek SL-75RN2-L, 1gig 3200DDR Ram, ATI X800GTO, NEC MultiSync FE991sb, Creative Audigy OEM, Logitech 5.1 speakers, 40gig HD booting XP, 200gig@50%games, Lite-On DVD burner, LG 52x32x52x
Sean B Dec 10, 2004, 12:06am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
"I can tell you now, AMD 64's respond better to Low latencies than high Mhz, Geil, OCZ and Crucial make the best Ram for an AMD 64 and if you are on a budget, Crucial is the cheapest.

I had Corsair XMS 4000 Pro in this system before I got the Crucial, once I swapped, I got 1000 more on 3D Mark 2001, should tell you all you need to know!"

It doesn't matter what processor you have... all memories have bandwidths slower than a 650Mhz Pentium III and latencies significantly slower than any processor.

Geil and OCZ currently hold the crown for latency and clock speed. They are two of the few companies that have a DDR1 DIMM clocked at 600Mhz and 667Mhz.

Corsair is the best you can do for quality, warranties, and stability. They test their product with more motherboard manufacturers and in more configurations.

Kingston memory is usually the cheapest name brand budget memory, but their performance is lacking in some of their faster DIMMS.

As I said earlier, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with generic memory... in fact, sometimes it performs and overclocks better than name brand memory.

Markie Mark Dec 10, 2004, 12:18am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have PDP/Patriot memory, 1 G, it is absolutely amazing.

40GB Seagate - SimplyMEPIS
Ultra X-Connect Black
CD-RW/DVD combo
ATI Radeon 9800Pro 256
X-Navigator Alu case
lights and fans!!!!!!!!
Col Dec 10, 2004, 06:21am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sean,

Did you read the review links?

It quite clearly states that AMD64 systems work better with Low Latancy Ram, And went on to say the Crucial and OCZ are the best for these systems given the fact that these were the only 2 modules to have the same performance with both Intel and AMD systems.

AMD systems don't normally work at high clock speeds however if you use these modules, along with Geil Uiltra X (which came out about 2 weeks later and wasn't included in the review) you will get better performance.

Regarding your point re warranty, it also has a life time warranty like Corsair so that is like for like.

With regards my knowledge of Kingston HyperX, I have never used it and therefore cannot pass comment, All I have seen is the benchmark reviews and it is never anywhere near the top therefore I have never considered it!

Asus A8V Deluxe
AMD X2 4600
1 GB Crucial Ballistix
X800 PRO
2 x 200 GB SATA WD HD
Pioneer DVR 108 DVD RW
Audigy 2 ZS
Lian Li PC60
430 Watt Antec PSU
Samsung 172x TFT
Supreet Virdi Dec 10, 2004, 07:02am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I am with Col on this one.....

But Kingston HyperX is definately underated..it overclocks quite well too...infact i am using Value Ram by kingston and i hit 198fsb mark with it..i am so happy with it...

Corsair is another good memory .. no doubt they are best RAM makers...i do feel Mushkin Level2 rams are good too.

GIEL, Curical & OCZ definately No.1 at the moment as Col said.

____

101% Pure ATI Whoop ASS®!!

http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/1715/picture0011ki.jpg
http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/6671/picture0045rp.jpg
Sean B Dec 10, 2004, 03:06pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 10, 2004, 03:08pm EST

I didn't need a review to know that processors favor lower latency components... that's just a given.

However, it doesn't matter what processor you have; all memory has bandwidths slower than that of a Pentium III and latencies slower than any processor.

A CAS latency of 2 is still significantly slower than the pipelines of the processor, despite where the memory controller is located.

Hopefully QDR will come out soon. Imagine 36GB/s of bandwidth from memory clocked at only 250Mhz.

Col Dec 10, 2004, 04:02pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 10, 2004, 04:05pm EST

Sean,

To he honest mate I have no idea what relevance your above post has to this thread, The question was "what ram is best for an AMD 64 3000", what question are you answering?

All I have stated is that in my opinion it is one of 3 makes given am opinion based upon experience, having used Corsair Ram and pointed to a review that backed up my claims!

Asus A8V Deluxe
AMD X2 4600
1 GB Crucial Ballistix
X800 PRO
2 x 200 GB SATA WD HD
Pioneer DVR 108 DVD RW
Audigy 2 ZS
Lian Li PC60
430 Watt Antec PSU
Samsung 172x TFT
Predator Dec 10, 2004, 05:20pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks for all the help guys. Go to http://tinyurl.com/4tzz9 and find me a good RAM from there. Thats all the RAM available at Fry's. You can toggle between teh different types of RAM on the left side. Tell me which RAM from there is worth the money.

Sean B Dec 10, 2004, 06:48pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm simply stating that ANY ram you get that's at the top of the food chain will suffice, because none of them can perform on par with the processor at this point. Their bandwidths and latencies are still significantly slower.

If you can get the lowest latency DDR400 ram, go for it..... but there's hardly a real world performance difference between a CAS 2 and a CAS 3.

The only latency that provides a slightly noticable difference is the RAS, which is noted as the last number in the rating. A tRAS of 7 will merit a slightly higher memory bandwidth than a tRAS of 4.

tom hammer Dec 11, 2004, 03:38pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello,
This is in response to James Marlin.... And may interest everyone. I am just an overclocker so I try to get the best performance for the best price. I am not buying current technologies, but yet am keeping up with the current trends (basically) ...that is the trick, that is being an overclocker. Anyway, I find it hard to believe that James' (HyperX) 3700 wouldn't run @ 200 FSB, when I am running my 2700 @ 205 FSB. At first it wouldn't budge from the 166 Mhz FSB, but if you have heard of the "burn in theory" you would understand why this has happened. And it is very stable, I have to admit I am limited right now, but I am running 2700, soon to be upgraded. I will buy Kingston Hyper X again, it is wonderful. With a little work it burns in wonderfully. Anyway limited time right now, take care.

SYSTEM SPECS:

AMD Athlon 2500+ - M @ 2566 Mhz
Asus A7X8N Deluxe - Rev.2
2 x 256 MB 2700 Kingston Hyper X @ 205 (410) FSB
Vantec Aeroflo HSF, CPU temp = 38 (idle), up to 48 (load)
Asus V9280 GeForce 4 Ti 128 MB @ 296 and 597

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.