Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 845 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 07 - 07:04pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / AMD's 90nm process, a success story?

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
Sander Sassen Dec 02, 2004, 02:20pm EST Report Abuse
>> 
Oh, rest assured it is not an error, nor needs correcting, I have recently discussed this subject with Dirk Depta at AMD's Dresden manufacturing facility in Germany and he acknowledged that both companies have collaborated on different levels and have co-developed on 90nm as well, part of that collaboration included the introduction of 300mm wafers and SOI on 200mm.

Sander Sassen
Editor in Chief - Hardware Analysis
ssassen@hardwareanalysis.com
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Eildert Slim Dec 02, 2004, 03:40pm EST Report Abuse
>> 
Collaborated, yes. Worked together on, yes.

But they certainly do not use the same process, as the article assumes. The pressrelease clearly states AMD had already almost finished 90nm development by the time they started working with IBM. Unless you claim AMD threw their own development completely overboard, of course.
I think AMD did some cherry picking from IBM's 90nm technology for their own. There was a $30M something deal involved with that, if I recall. I would assume they picked the best parts - not the troublesome ones.

Sander Sassen Dec 02, 2004, 03:54pm EST Report Abuse
>> 
And you back that all up with a press release that was issued in Januari of 2003? C'mon, think about it for a minute, we're almost two years further now, that press release is pretty outdated. I suggest you contact some of the engineers or people working in R&D at the fab in Dresden to get an accurate perspective of what's actually happening with AMD and IBM's 90nm process. You can rest assured that neither has any time to or desire to re-invent the wheel and there's a huge overlap in technology used, that's one of the benefits of the joint venture. As mentioned the PowerPC processors manufactured by IBM and the Athlons by AMD differ in architecture, but not so much in process technology used to manufacture them. Sure, there are differences, but they are similar enough to validate the claims I make, if you have information or sources indicating otherwise feel free to post them here, with references.

Sander Sassen
Editor in Chief - Hardware Analysis
ssassen@hardwareanalysis.com
Brandon Gates Dec 03, 2004, 12:59pm EST Report Abuse
>> 
How about AMD's latest roadmaps to back things up? How about some extremely low temps of a system I'm running? And yes, there will be barriers as the process does shrink; this I am aware of. But in the article, the APPLE processor's issues are cited to assume the AMD's will have exactly the same problem. Unless AMD changes their roadmaps, then I can't say they do or do not have problems. I'm mainly trying to point out that the new cores are to be implemented 100% into the lineup, and so far I don't see any problems.

Eildert Slim Dec 09, 2004, 07:37pm EST Report Abuse
>> 
Here's some better proof:
http://www.reed-electronics.com/semiconductor/article/CA456681...latestNews
http://www-03.ibm.com/technology/power/newsletter/august2004/f...k_look.pdf
The first one shows a picture of AMD's 90nm process, the second of IBM's. As you can see, there are a few distinct differences between the two.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.