Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 834 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 19 - 05:40am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Problem Products /

Problem with USB flash drive 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Next >>
Mohammad amin Donoo Feb 17, 2006, 01:42am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Problem with USB flash drive
I have a Sony Pen Drive. Whenever I copy any thing to it. All the files are renamed to 000000.000 and the data is lost permanently. to use the drive again I have to format the drive everytime before coping anything to it. Does anyone have a permanent solution for this. Please reply!!

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Bitmap Mar 22, 2006, 04:12pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Problem with USB flash drive
I have an old MicroAdvantage 64M (yeah, old) jump drive I've been using for a little over two years, and just recently, I went to copy an English paper over to it, and I got the error message: "Cannot copy (filename): The disk is write-protected. Remove the write-protection, or use another disk." My drive does NOT have a write protect switch on the side of it, and I've searched all over the properties, and even went through Command Prompt to try and remove the files. I was able to back up all of the data onto my hard drive, so anything goes.

BTW, while in command prompt, i typed in "attrib" while in the jump drive root directory, and all of the files show up with the attribute "A" or Archive. I never told my computer to archive my files EVER. Any help would be much appreciated. I am running WinXP Professional, SP1.

________
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. YOU'RE locked up in here with ME." - Walter Kovacs, A.K.A. Rorschach.
Bug Me Not Apr 07, 2006, 06:23pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
All,
In case your USB flash drive fails to work (which means either the data inside it
has been corrupted or its boot sector/partition is now screwed) or whatever, Windows will
either not recongnize it Or say its unreadable Or give an error message "please insert
disk" Or "Write protected" Or Won't allow you to format the disk.

In that case, you need to run "killdisk". Download it from http://www.killdisk.com/.
Unzip it and run KD_WIN.exe (This is the console KillDisk for Windows which will work with
USB devices and where no reboot is required). Select the "damaged" USB device and
hit F10, this will write all zeroes into the USB device. Wait until it's done, "safely
remove" the device and plug it back in. This should help you all out, it worked for me.

This is an anonomous account. Given to the users of the http://www.bugmenot.com service.
V P J Apr 07, 2006, 11:08pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a SanDisk Cruzer Micro 1GB. Nearly for the last 8 months, it was working fine. However, from last few days, I am unable to write or delete any files on the drive. However, I can read the data from file.

I am using a Toshiba Laptop and have also tried it using an IBM desktop with similar results. I am running Windows XP professional on my Laptop.

Any pointers to resolution or further troubleshooting?

Srivathsa D Apr 20, 2006, 12:11am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
There is a simple solution for this in the case of windows.
Just do a "regedit" for StorageDevicePolicies key.
. Get into the Registry - Press Start -> Run, enter regedit, press Ok
. Click on My Computer. Then press File -> Export, give some file name to backup the registry. Just incase you ever need to rollback.
. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/StorageDevicePolicies
. In the right pane select "writeprotect"
. RESET the value to '0'

Repeat the same for ControlSet001 and ControlSet002 incase they exist.

Now plug in your USB drives and it should work. Else just reboot the machine and try. This has worked on most of the machines on which I tried.
Enjoy!!!

Joe Waterman Apr 27, 2006, 03:58am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
What if when I get into my computers registry it does not have a "StorageDevicePolicies" subject ti click on and change the 'writeprotect' to '0'. I can follow your intstructions perfectly up until this point, but like I said I hit a dead end because there is no "StorageDevicePolicies". Note: I have the same exact problem as the gentlemen above. this device is like a lifesaver for me sometimes, but it just crapped out on me one day. argggg

Paul Hirschey Apr 27, 2006, 03:46pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I had the problem this morning. Couple week old flash drive that was used once with no problem, was now saying write protected no matter what I do? Plugged in my external {also USB} cd drive to see if the flash drive documentation said anything about this. It didn't. However, my computer now reads the cd as drive D:\ and the flash drive as drive F:\ and is not reporting write protected. Performing as expected. :) Check your drive letter assignments.

WinXP Home Service Pack 2
OmniTech 933mhz Pentium III

LI Yan Jun 07, 2006, 10:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Got the solution on Verbatim Store'n'Go 2GB Pro
I just got a Verbatim USB 2G pro drive and got this problem (reading ok but won't write or delete, saying it is locked and there are no switches), and I tried almost everything suggested by the forum, and nothing worked. Finally I write to their tech support. They suggest it is a software problem. Basically they use the so called "V-Key" to turn on and off the write protection. Once I activated the software and under sytem there is a button saying Enable write protection/disable write protection. After clicking it, I can now write or delete. One has to admit the software is really good. I don't understand why just a small piece of software can prevent the drive being formated.

I think some other makers may also have similar software and the write protection was acctivated by accident.

orville zaragoza Jun 24, 2006, 03:33pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
where can i get that so called v-key program?

V P J Jun 24, 2006, 11:07pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
any further clues to fix the problem? the problem that I had listed ages ago, has not been yet fixed; have tried all the various ideas suggested here that applied to my case till date with no luck

orville zaragoza Jun 25, 2006, 03:19am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
mee too! ive tried editing the registry but to no avail... i cant format my flash disk... ive tried Disk kill, xpsecurity, restore manager.... all to no avail... anyone has a solution? im afraid it boils down to the hardware itself... that is broken and cannot write data into it anymore.... huhuhuhu ='( Mine is an ADATA 2GB flash disk. Its only been a week....

Jorge Miranda Jul 31, 2006, 06:15pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I had this same problem. I was able to fix it by formatting the USB drive using a Mac OS X computer. It formated on a different format than the normal used by Windows, but I then went back and formatted it on the Windows computer and now it works fine. Hope this helps

sunil dm Sep 18, 2006, 08:38am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

What if when I get into my computers registry it does not have a "StorageDevicePolicies" subject ti click on and change the 'writeprotect' to '0'. I can follow your intstructions perfectly up until this point, but like I said I hit a dead end because there is no "StorageDevicePolicies". Note: I have the same exact problem as the above. this device is like a lifesaver for me sometimes, but it just crapped out on me one day. argggg

does any one have a solution for this...

gaby barsallo Oct 04, 2006, 01:17am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,
my problem is that my laptop cant even read the info inside the flash drive. It keeps telling me to insert a disk. I also tried with killdisc as I read in the forum but is not even opening the drive for data, it says Ļ"is not ready". I guess I copied a lot more info on it that it can support but anyway I didnīt get any warning or message. Please help me to get it to work or delete all info and use it again.:~

Yosua Bangun Dec 14, 2006, 12:57am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Charmaine...
Can U send me an image of where the "write protection switch" is.
my UFD is Kingstone 256 Mb. I've search it on the side of my FD but still i can't find the switch.
Thx for your help...

apattadis Wallest Jan 10, 2007, 12:04pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Problem with USB flash drive For Write Protect of Apacer steno
Hi Friends
Please go to download utility Format Write Protect.http://www.apacer.com/en/products/Handy_Steno_HA202_downloads.htm
You will ok.

Alan Canizares Jan 25, 2007, 05:35pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My Computer (win 98) cannot detect my Flash Disk. And I need driver for this flash drive. Can someone give me a driver of USB disk/mp3 FC CE?

Rodney Gaskell Feb 25, 2007, 08:51pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Every time i plugged my USB memory stick into the computer i would get the Error message "The disk in drive E is not formatted. Do you wish to format it now?" YES, Selected FAT 32, FORMAT. Format the disk, then get the error message "The disk is write protected."

I'm freaking out at this stage thinking my data is lost and i have to go out and buy a new USB flash drive.

I work in the ICT department so we had a system with Mandrake (Linux) on it sitting here, so i fired it up and it recognised the USB drive and i was able to copy my data off. Thank GOD.

Just couldn't save my USB disk, mandrake Diskdrake took care of that.

maman kasman Mar 25, 2007, 01:49am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Problem with your USB flash drive
hai teman2, saya anggota baru neh.if you get some problem with your flashdisk, and need format tool or driver, you can download many of them on this site http://www.rdm.kiev.ua/flashutil.php . Thanks, saya harap berguna bagi teman2

maman kasman Mar 25, 2007, 01:53am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hai teman2, saya anggota baru neh.if you get some problem with your flashdisk, and need format tool or driver, you can download many of them on this site http://www.rdm.kiev.ua/flashutil.php . Thanks, saya harap berguna bagi teman2

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.