Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1209 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 15 - 06:33pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Software /

CODE 41 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Next >>
brandi arnone Jan 16, 2008, 04:06pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: CODE 41
I HAVE SPENT HOURS, no thats an understatment!!!!!!! ANYWAY i tried everything.....

- 3 DIFFERENT DRIVES
- WENT INTO BIOS TO SEE IF SOMEONE HAD MESSED WITH BOOT ORDER
- UN INSTALLED, RE INSTALLED
- INSTALLING DRIVERS FOR THREE DIFFERENT CDRW DRIVES
- MADE SURE MASTER WAS MASTER AND SLAVE WAS SLAVE
so when all that didnt work, i ORDERED an EXTERNAL CD/DVD ROM off of EBAY! not to mention spent the last of what was in my paypal account on a BADASS one. i was in LOUISIANA when all this occurred. TWO weeks later i move back to WISCONSIN. so that eBay package is just going to be floating around for god knows how long. not to mention its from OVERSEAS. THIS LITTLE REGISTRY PROBLEM HAS CAUSED WASTED TIME:X AND HOURS OF TWEAKING8) TO WHERE IN THE END I STILL COULDNT FIGURE IT OUT.

UNTIL NOW!!!!!! THANKS JOSH LIEBO :)

i would have to say ive been stumped on this for about 4 MONTHS. every other time i would get on my PC i would try something different. and im on everyday!!!!!! total HOURS SPENT actually trying to fix this problem about 20HRS!!!!!!!!!!!

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
A. Robert Fisher Jan 16, 2008, 07:10pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I had the problem some time ago and did not want to mess with editing the registry.
It happened to me when I installed Itunes and then decided to uninstall Itunes.
When I reinstalled Itunes the drives came back.
This also happens whenCD copy software is loaded and/or uninstalled.

David Lapenson Feb 22, 2008, 12:15pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yes, much appreciate the post by Ernest. That fixed worked for me too, and saved having to reformat the hard drive. This computer had been attacked by many viruses and was almost gone! Thanks again.

vimz kris Apr 19, 2008, 06:47am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hey guy's i thnk it has to do smthin with itunes...as some of u hav mentioned....even i uninstalled..itunes after a spyware attck on my system....it was a keylogger...i didnt knw wht was runnin it.......so i jst uninstalled sm progms includin itunes....frm thn on my drive egts detectd bt wldnt shw up in my computer becoz of error 41.nd thanx for the tip on hw to resolve it........

Brian Edick Jul 01, 2008, 01:25pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
OK, most of the people here have asked about problems w/ CD ROM drives or Itunes problems. I have 2 mp3 players (Creative Zen, and Zune) I have Quicktime but have had it for sometime w/o problems. My CD devices work fine. About a week ago, I was trying to get my Motorola to Sync w/ my computer. After numerous failed attempts, I gave up. and uninstalled everything. (Drivers, mod programs, etc.) Now, my Mp3 players have that Code 41 message, they charge, but I can't connect them to their respective software. I don't want to mess with regedit if it's going to mess with my CD drive. I ran a virus boot scan and that didn't take care of it, I got rid of the files that were suggested in the Uninstalling Itunes instructions, but left the quicktime program as it doesn't seem to be the source of the problem.

Can anyone help with getting my USB devices back w/o messing with my CD Rom Drive???

raoul ford Aug 27, 2008, 04:59am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
U STAR!!!!! Thank you, Earnest. This fix works brilliantly.

Lorne Epp Sep 12, 2008, 02:25am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks Ernesto! You have saved my sanity. I was a wit's end and as a last resort googled the error message and found this thread.

BTW, the problem started for me when itunes did an update. I didn't even uninstall, just allowed it to update itself!

thomas burns Oct 15, 2008, 05:26pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yup. Your fix rules. I would have never figured that out in a million years. Thanks.

Btw. I think iTunes had something to do with the problem. I received an error from iTunes after I deleted the files stating that cd burning was not available anymore.

Anil Paul baby Palackamattathil Oct 19, 2008, 02:54am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
thanks for help, i got not delete entry. cann't show properties, that is that entry is corrpted then i try, change properties owership to administrtor. lastily i got properties then the problem is solved

Agota Page Dec 09, 2008, 06:51pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
HI!
I got the same problem the other day. After trying a lots of stuff, finally I unistalled ITunes and then reinstalled Itunes with QuickTime. And low and behold there they were the two errant and missing dvd/cd drives. They are both working and all is well now. Hope this will help anyone encountering this problem!
Agota

vdgfdbh hftdgfn Feb 07, 2009, 12:52pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
grrrr. >:o

i did what the poster at the beginning of this thread said to do. I had about 15 folders under that name {4DE6........} (in regedt32) - about a third of them had these upper and lower files in it. i deleted them all.

now my mouse AND keyboard do not work. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!! >:o

all i wanted to do is load turbotax! i hate computers.

:(
please help!

Mia Junk Mar 13, 2009, 12:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
It appears that the easiest non destructive thing to do is to rerun the iTunes installer and choose to repair or reinstall the iTunes application. It's a quick and easy fix that doesn't necessarily even require rebooting (at least not in my situation). In my case I read a number of the reviews and realized that I had upgraded iTunes yesterday and only today realized three of my USB devices (two DVD's and a USB REV drive) were not appearing even though Windows had loaded the drivers successfully. I am technically minded and I'll hack the registry anytime but that comes with potential risks and requires taking additional precausions to avoid creating more painful issues that some have described here.

What is most disconcerting is that this issue was highlighted by Della Nicholls way back on Mar 06, 2005, 06:30am EST on the first page of this thread. It has not been fixed by Apple who may not even be aware of it. It hasn't happened every time I have upgraded or installed iTunes, so the issue seems to only occur irregularly for folks.

I hope this helps. I don't hate Apple or Microsoft. I get frustrated and annoyed with software that does not get Q&A'd properly of fixed when issues are known but that's most software out there. Companies and programmers sure have a lot to answer for.

Hashem Ibrahim Mar 17, 2009, 12:24pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
@ernest ofori:
All i can say is .... THANKS :) :):):)

Bill Steeber May 12, 2009, 04:35pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I also had a Code 41 problem, maybe from from a prior installation of itunes. The symptoms were the same as others had, but the outcome after regedit is different. Now the system recognizes the drives but does not read them. Disks inserted in either drive are seen as blank. The writable drive writes ok. The computer is a VAIO running XP Professional, and the drives are ASUS CD-S400/A and PIONEER DVR-104 (DVD-RW). I tried electronically uninstalling them, and letting the system find them and got no change.

christine wlas Aug 18, 2009, 10:27pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
the registry edit worked, thank you for your imput

Hee Bee Aug 24, 2009, 11:09pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i heart ernest

beautiful fix

people need to read his instructions carefully!

thank you from PEI! :cool:

Jerry Gomez Aug 25, 2009, 02:15am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Aug 25, 2009, 02:19am EDT

Look else where for these "Regedt32.exe" instructions. They are not precise/clear as others. I just screwed up in computer and can't fix it!

Carl Sloss Aug 27, 2009, 02:44pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
These steps actually work. I had the same problem and I just got thru fixing it. The onlything with mine there was not no lower filter to delete.
Thanks;
Carl

ernest ofori Sep 01, 2009, 10:32am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: CODE 41 - FROM ERNEST
I appreciate all your thanks and I am happy that just one post has helped a lot of people. I thank you all for thanking me.

SCHLEICH Bernard Oct 11, 2009, 02:48am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Oct 11, 2009, 02:50am EDT

Just want to thank you for "fix" by deleting the 2 registry entry.
After rebooting, my DVD is working again.

Ich gratuliere Herr Ernest Ofori !

Thanks

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.