Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1410 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 14 - 12:00pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Software /

CODE 41 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
fat get Oct 21, 2009, 08:13pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: CODE 41
This fix didn't work for me. I still had the same problem afterwards. :(

I used this to fix mine in the end. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060#fixit4me

Hope this info helps a few more of you fix yours:cool:

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Fran Trantham Nov 21, 2009, 04:55pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Nov 21, 2009, 04:57pm EST

I don't do itunes and have the same problem. Mine started after the was a power outage which not only took my UPS but both computer as well. One computer is fine and one is getting the code 41. So I think it is allot of different things involved but I believe the main thing is in Windows. It seems we are all running Windows. I run XP Pro with Serv Pak 3.
I have had my CDs for about 5 years and never had the problem before. As I normally do I went to Microsoft first, well that was a waste so I started searching and found you guys. I not to computer smart but I will try regedit and hope I don't screw anything else up. Thanks for the information.:P

Fran Trantham Nov 21, 2009, 06:05pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I just used the fix not the one from Microsoft and it worked and I did not mess anything else up. Thank you guys so much. I don't like going in and messing with these things but sometimes I have to bit the bullet so to speak so Thank you again. Fran:_)

Beau Loots Nov 23, 2009, 06:55pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Nov 23, 2009, 07:03pm EST

I tried the fix as described; it did not work. on further looking on the site I found acomment about iTunes and gear drivers. i then searched the reistry for the word"gear" and deleated these keys. and it worked. i did not have iTunes on my machine but found gear in Norton360. removal the word there fixed the problem. This contamination may have got to Norton via Microsoft WM9Codecs update.

chris szpajer Jan 14, 2010, 04:39pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi, had this problem too both cd drives not working and giving error code 41
Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
and deleted the upperfilters
on returning to hardware was then able to install latest drivers for both cd drives which it would not do previously. All working ok now. Thanks a million.

fatasd asd Jan 20, 2010, 07:02am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
thanks alot

tracy webb Mar 17, 2010, 07:19am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Just like to say thank you to every for advise about itunes had code 41 for the last week and was tempted to throw my laptop out of the window, after finding this forum and un installing anything to do with itunes no more code 41.
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

Dean Younger Jun 03, 2010, 05:48am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jun 03, 2010, 05:51am EDT

Wow, this thread is still running! I first posted on here in 2006, p4 I think.

This fix does work for the Majority of people.
Since my first post I have seen this issue numerous times. Except for the first time, which apparently had nothing to do with iTunes, which I actually found out later did have iTunes installed on it (Kids), this has been caused by iTunes. Everytime.

The problem lies with Apple software on PC's, if it's MAC OS it works fine (or so I'm told).
It was not rewritten for PC's just ported (or modified) over to Windows (Never a good idea).

Thanks to this thread, when people say that their drives have disappeared, I ask "Do you have/had iTunes on your PC?" They invariably say yes. Then it takes me all of 2 minutes to fix it.

People need to read the instructions CAREFULLY. Only delete the values specified. Not the whole sub-key (folder) nor any other values, else you will have problems. If you are not sure, don't delete anything, get some help. Sometimes both values aren't there, only delete the one that is. This will work for you hassle free, if it is done right.

These values get modified by iTunes sometimes corrupting them (see my second post on p4). This can happen randomly too, don't think because you installed iTunes a year ago and not had a problem, that it can't be iTunes.

"I wonder if Ernest ever looks back on this thread that he posted way back in 2004. Nearly six years and still helping people."

"iTunes KILLS PC's!"

arjay alnas Aug 19, 2010, 09:05am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
the key filters could not be deleted...what should i do??

shelly edgington Aug 25, 2010, 02:04pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi , Just want to say a MASSIVE thankyou for the solution to the CD/DVDrom drive post by deleting upper/lower filters, etc. It works like new now! Saved me alot of money!! Thankyou!!

ernest ofori Aug 28, 2010, 05:46pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I am glad that, after posting this message in 2004, it is still helping a lot of people

ernest ofori Aug 28, 2010, 05:47pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
thank you

ernest ofori Aug 28, 2010, 05:48pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
thanks David lapenson

Omega Man Dec 31, 2010, 10:23pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thank you, thank you, thank you. Deleting the registry keys worked!! After deleting the reg keys I then uninstalled the CD/DVD hardware entries, rescanned for new hardware and voila, my CD & DVD hardware was back!

vikash kumar Jan 16, 2011, 02:07am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hey thnx for this... though the dvd drive is visible in my computer nw but it is not working and m still getting the error on boot...plz help..

John Price Apr 28, 2011, 02:37pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
BRILLIANT!!! Thanks so much, I had the exact same problem, Microcrap troubleshooter was totally useless!.. Why on earth does windows suddenly decide to lock me out of my CD/DVD Drive.. for no obvious reason? I am sooooo pleased that I found this site! Thanks again.. John :)

Sutandy Laurus Jun 03, 2011, 06:20am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thank you.. it really works:)

dhaval parikh Jun 09, 2011, 01:47pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
thank you so much ernest ofori

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.