Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1395 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 14 - 09:55am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Software /

CODE 41 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Next >>
Hello Kitty Mar 06, 2005, 10:15am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: CODE 41
post your error message when trying to delete the entry.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
phil budas Mar 06, 2005, 04:17pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Cannot delete {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}: Error while deleting key.

And thats using regedit :(

phil budas Mar 15, 2005, 03:10pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Can someone please help me with this, im begging you. Im actually fighting with people in my house about it now. I cant begin to explain how stressed out i am, its taking just about every last drop of my sanity to restrain me from smashing things up and hitting people! Cannot edit the registry through these methods. Is there anyway or is it a lost cause? Please say it is, cause i'll take great delight in pouring this beer over my computer if its unfixable!!! Seriously, Im needingh a program that will let me delete these files from the registry, or, disable them while i can delete them. I am really desperate for help here people, im stressed out now :o( :o( :o(

phil budas Mar 15, 2005, 03:14pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
afterthought, does anyone know what these registry entries actually do, or tie up? maybe if i can shut down the programs thats using them i could delete them??? is that correct????

Della Nicholls Mar 17, 2005, 03:35am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Phil

At this point, are you really just wanting to have your DVD drives back, because to save all the grief, why not just reinstall iTunes? Let me know if I am on the wrong track here, but wasn't that what caused your problem in the first place? Do you really care about the registry key, if reinstalling iTunes will give you your drives back.

I didn't worry about reinstalling iPod, just iTunes and it restored my DVD drives.

phil budas Mar 17, 2005, 03:55am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
thanks della but unfortunately it was the very first thing i tried. i just wanna flatten the pc now, but im unable to backup my stuff without my drives! i dont even have a bloody ipod, and i never wanted itunes in the first place, i think it appeared with quicktime. im never buying an apple product EVER.

Bobby Jones Mar 26, 2005, 08:47pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
THE SAME FRICKIN THING HAPPENED TO ME AS I WAS FOOLING AROUND WITH ITUNES AND DVD X COPY AND YOUR SOLUTION WORKED! YOUR KINDNESS FOR SHARING THE FIX IS TREMENDOUSLY APPRICIATED! I FEEL REAL BAD FOR THE GUY THAT CAN'T DELETE THOSE 2 ITEMS MAN THAT IS SOOO LAME. ANYWAY, FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT ARE NOT COMPUTER GEEKS, LET ME SAY THAT YOU CAN FIX THIS ON YOUR OWN FOR FREE BY OPENING YOUR RUN COMMAND THEN TYPING IN regedit AND FOLLOWING THOSE INSTRUCTIONS. JUST TAKE YOUR TIME AND REALLY FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS. I CLICKED ON THE REGEDIT32 HYPERLINK IN THE POST AND IT PROMPTED ME TO SOME SOFTWARE COMPANY THAT WANTS YOU TO BUY THEIR PRODUCT. THAT CAN BE ENTIRELY AVOIDED. I DOWNLOADED IT AND ALMOST BOUGHT IT THINKING THAT THAT WAS THE ANSWER BUT LUCKILY I TYPED IN "regedit" IN WINDOWS SEARCH ON MY COMPUTER AND IT GAVE ME THE INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO GET TO THE STARTING POINT FOR THESE DIRECTIONS AND SO I REMOVED THE TRIAL PROGRAM AND SAVED $30 AND GOT MY DVD DRIVES BACK!!!! YOU NEVER KNOW WHO IS JUST TRYIN TO MAKE MONEY OUT OF PEOPLES PROBLEMS AND I TOOK THE TIME TO REGISTER ON THIS BOARD AND POST THIS REPLY BECAUSE I AM A TOTALLY AVERAGE DUDE WITH MINIMAL COMPUTER SKILL/EDUCATION AND I BELIEVE THAT WE ALL OWE THIS GUY A LOT OF THANKS FOR SHARING THE WAY TO FIX THIS INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING PROBLEM. THANKS AND HOPE THE PEOPLE TRYING TO HELP EACH OTHER ON THIS POST ALL HAVE GOOD LIVES. PEACE-

Maestro Mar 26, 2005, 10:04pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
the unable to install problem that Windows sometimes suffers is due to a protection error that happens when trying to install or reinstall a piece of hardware...although ive never heard it happen with optical drives or hard drives...The registry key deletion usually works...The only other thing that I'd try is to barebone your PC and reinstall all your hardware...otherwise...you can always reinstall XP...
:(

A. Robert Fisher Apr 04, 2005, 01:11am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yes, looking back, uninstalling itunes caused the loss of the cdroms on my system.
I tried all of the register editing that was suggested by others. No luck.
I then reinstalled itunes and, lo and behold, the cdroms are back.

It only takes one bad Apple to spoil a PC.

Now I cannot get rid of itunes.

martin hansmann Apr 09, 2005, 08:11am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
thanks from germany! You saved me a lot of time with your work!!
Well done!

martin

W Arnold May 05, 2005, 12:39pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Same thing here. I'd updated quicktime, and that forced an unwanted ITunes installation (Win XP). Uninstalled the ITunes virus and it killed the CD and DVD drives. The registry fix solved the problems. Like one other poster here, I only had upper filters in the registry, no lower filters.

Stephen Barcavage May 20, 2005, 12:28pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I did the regit and now my computer seems to recognize the dvd and cd-rom drives, along with the drivers. However, they still do not play cds/dvd's...! (In device manager under properties for each drive the device status reads; "This device is working properly.."

Any advice on how to get my drives working again. All my drive problems started with ipod and itunes - and when got rid of them. I do not no how to reinstall itunes without a drive.......

Thank you in advance...
Steve

Jose Albino Jun 16, 2005, 10:32pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
just happen to me also..i uninstall i-tunes..and then dvd reader and writer dissapear...
i couldn't delete that registry keys
so i had to re-install that i-tunes again............. what a problem these apple vendors....is there any way that could work..i mean no to loose dvd's uninstalling i-tunes.............

A. Robert Fisher Jun 17, 2005, 11:41am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
For Steve

Reinstall itunes from the apple site on the internet. Then you do not need a CD Drive.

Jose Albino Jun 19, 2005, 10:50am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
well apparently reinstalling itunes is the only solution for me..i was trying the FIX...deleting the kewhen i find this key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 ...
i found as a folder with subkeys..then i hit delete and i get this error message
Cannot delete {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}: Error while deleting key
but one thing to notice is that the subkeys dissapear or were delete it,,i reboot the pc..and nothing my drives still out gone
note; i'd like to post this picture .jpeg file but can' find where to attach the file

Jose Albino Jun 20, 2005, 03:29pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
ok i found this solution in apple website,,in one of the forums..instructions
Why do I need a step-by-step guide to uninstalling iTunes?
Users often experience difficulties when installing iTunes, and it usually helps to cleanly uninstall iTunes first if you are having trouble. The Add/Remove Programs option in Control Panel can handle this, but leaves little bits-and-pieces all over the place that can affect a subsequent reinstall. Follow this step-by-step guide to ensure clean removal of all iTunes for Windows componentry.

Ensure that you backup your music prior to attempting any kind of uninstallation. Although uninstallation/reinstallation of iTunes usually does not touch the music folder, it is important to have a backup just in case something goes wrong.

Songs purchased from the iTunes Music Store or imported from CDs are saved in the user's My Music folder by default. These files will not be removed by this procedure.

Uninstall iTunes
1) In Control Panel, open Add/Remove Programs (under Classic View in Windows XP)
2) Select iTunes from the list of currently installed programs, click Change/Remove.
3) An iTunes for Windows Installshield window appears. Select Remove, click Next. A Confirm Uninstall window appears. Select OK.
4) A "Maintenance Successful" notification appears. Select Finish.

Uninstall iPod Updater
5) In Add/Remove Programs, select iPod Updater. Click Change/Remove.
6) A Confirm Uninstall window appears. Select OK to remove iPod Updater.
7) Repeat for any and all iPod Updaters.

Uninstall QuickTime
8) In Add/Remove Programs, select QuickTime. Click Change/Remove.
9) The QuickTime Uninstall window appears. Select the Uninstall Everything.
10) The Uninstall Successful window appears. Select OK.
11) Close all windows, restart the computer.

Remove leftover components
12) Open My Computer. Open your hard drive. Open Program Files.
13) Delete iPod, iTunes and QuickTime folders if present.
14) Move back to the hard drive root. Open Documents and Settings. Open All Users.
15) Select Folder Options from the Tools menu. Select the View tab. Select "Show hidden files and folders". Click OK.
16) Open the Application folder. Delete the QuickTime folder if present.
17) Open the Apple Computer folder. Delete the iTunes folder.
18) Go back to Documents and Settings. Open the folder with your username.
19) Open the Application Data folder. Open the Apple Computer folder. Delete the iTunes folder.
20) Open the Local Settings folder. Open the Application Data folder. Delete the iTunes folder.
21) Go back to the Local Settings Folder. Open the Temp folder. Delete QTInstallerHelper.dll.
22) Empty the Recycle Bin.
23) Select Folder Options from the Tools menu. Select the View Tab. Select "Do not show hidden files or folders". Click OK.
24) Restart the computer.

OK now i follow this..after step#11.. after rebboting my pc ..i saw my dvd drives back.
i don't need to go to step#12 throught 24..so if somebody wants to follow this instructions..also i check burning a cd ,,everything is fine now

Sumeet Dogra Jul 06, 2005, 12:50pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I can't find my LowerFilters, would I get that after I delete UpperFilters or what???
Sumeet

John Connor Sep 03, 2005, 09:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 03, 2005, 09:06pm EDT

To answer all who asked

GearAspiWDM.sys
is the driver responcible for this issue. it is installed by iTUNES, and most software created by GEAR corp.
Removal of this driver, doesn't stop the problem, therfore,
correct uninstall of iTUNES via Add/Remove program, & then remove the

UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

on the otherhand, if you have either CloneCD or DVD installed on the same BOX, removal of the
LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Which there are many reports of older versions not installing that value anyway...

so it is not absolutely necessary, from what I've seen CLoneCD & DVD adds the LowerFilter value
in the Registry entry again, upon it's first use, of either software to the CLID known as:
4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Which is responcible for all calls to CD-DVD ROM's or Burner's

Deletion of the entire Key might cause total loss of CD/DVD ROM/BURNER functionality

PCfixinman2025

On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

joseph MORALES Sep 05, 2005, 03:04pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
ERNEST ---- YOU ARE A GENIUS -- THANK YOU --- I THOUGHT FOR A MOMENT I WAS GOING TO GO CRAZY --
AGAIN -- THANK YOU HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU SOON

JOSE

Mark Odulio Sep 09, 2005, 08:50pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey, I'm having the same problem. I followed the instuctions and I was able to delete one of the registry keys. BUt I can't delete the other one.
It says cannot delete such and such. Error deleting key. This is the one I can't delete.(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318)
The only step that I was not able to do was find the QTinstallerhelper (step 21). I ran the search command with that name and nothing turned up. I had quicktime and Roxio CD creator 6. I removed all of them.
I did notice though that in Add/Remove programs quicktime is still showing up. No size or anything. I'll click on remove and it confirms removal, but it never leaves the list, even after I reset the computer.

Can someone please HELP???? I'm getting frustrated with this!!!???

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.