Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1239 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 14 - 01:21am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Software /

CODE 41 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Next >>
Brendan Falvey Sep 09, 2005, 09:20pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: CODE 41
I had problems manually editing the registry on another problem. There are several issues you may need to consider that afected my effort to remove a key.

1 you must be there as an administrator

2 Any link to a loaded function will cause the delete to fail

3 probably best to boot up in safe mode so that most of the crud does not load and allows abetter chance of deleting the keys causing problems

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Mark Odulio Sep 10, 2005, 01:59pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I started it up in safe mode and went in as admistrator. I also went into the system configuration and checked off selective startup, unchecked everything in the Startup tab. nothing works. Any other ideas??? gawd..what started off wanting to make a CD is turning into huge fiasco!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Connor Sep 10, 2005, 02:43pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Mark,

Post the Exact, & Entire, error message you are getting whe trying to delete that registry key.

Mark Odulio Sep 10, 2005, 07:14pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The exact error is

"Cannot delete {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} Error while deleting key."

Stephen Barcavage Sep 10, 2005, 09:05pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I had this same issue with a Dell 8100 - now I just purchased a brand new Dell 5100. Is it safe for me to install my ipod? I have pre-itunes anxiety right now......
Steve

Josh Liebo Sep 11, 2005, 09:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
That's because you are not suposed to erase the entire KEY, you are suposed to erase ONLY 2 values on the right hand of the screen.
you can't just highlight and delete:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

you need to click on that folder on the left, THEN look to the right and click

"UpperFilters" press your delete key and then click on
"LowerFilters" press your delete key.

I had the exact same problem as you did at first, then I realized I hadn't read the instructions entirely

Mark Odulio Sep 11, 2005, 11:37pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
ahahahheheh...heh heh. =)
Thanks, everything worked out great!!
Ill have to read the insturctions more carfully next time.

Josh Liebo Sep 12, 2005, 08:58am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
It happens to the best of us! But thankfully we have these forums for people to point us in the right direction we mess something up!

Victor Hackney Sep 12, 2005, 06:27pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Good Work Josh Liebo,

The two keys on the right hand side are the clue to rectifying this error like you say.

http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/tips_fixes.htm

Here is a link to help others who may have this problem, your point is describen in the text.

Best Wishes
Take Care
Vic UK

All forces are equal and opposite
Todd Smee Sep 17, 2005, 06:54pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Another unsuspecting Ipod casualty here. I saw the question asked but I didn't see it answered. My drives are recognized but nothings happening with writing DVD's or reading computer burnt DVD's. I can watch a storebought DVD just fine.

Is there a way to fix this without getting rid of my Itunes/Ipod stuff?

Ziem Ziem Sep 30, 2005, 03:34am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks for the fix!!!!!! It indeed worked. Deleting the lower and upper thingie.
Bleeding Itunes :(

Z. :)

mec sfo Oct 01, 2005, 08:17pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
(Crossed posted to Portable Hardware Forum also)

Hi All,

I am stumped with a problem and hope the group may have some answers. In short, the problem is that the 8x DVD+/-RW, CD-R, CD-RW (HL-DT-ST Model GWA-4080N) that was OEM installed in my HP ZD7000 laptop will not typically recognize blank media, making burning data files impossible. I am running XP SP2 and, according to Microsoft's Windows Update, all patches and fixes are installed. Further, accoriding to HP's wite, the firmware in the drive is also "current." All items in the Startup tab of MSCONFIG are unchecked and there are no unexpected "events" appearing in any portions of the Event Log. LowerFilters and UpperFilters keys have been removed from the registry although LowerFilters.BAK and UpperFilters.BAK remain in the registry as I did not know if I should delete them given postings I have seen in other forums.

Here are the symptoms:

(1) The drive is "visible" via File Manger. If no disk is in the drive, the device appears as a DVD/CD drive in the file manager and appears similarly in the window that opens if you click on My Computer where the empty drive capacity shopws 702MB available. The drive can read both DVD and CD without problem.

(2) If I have a piece of blank media in the drive and do a reboot, once the laptop has restarted, the drive is visible (as expected) and the drive shows that it contains a piece of blank media. If I try to write to that media using the Windws CD Writing wizard, I get an uninformative error box telling me that the drive cannot be written to. Once I close out of the XP CD burning wizard, I notice the drive, via cicking on My Computer, simply shows as a CD drive with no capacity details. If I check the properties of the CD, it shows 0 bytes of used space and zero bytes of free space.

(3) If I reboot the PC with this same CD in the drive, it will again be visible and will again show as "empty" with 702MB of available space. If I check this same CD on another PC, it is, indeed, empty.

(4) Without attempting to write to a CD and AFTER a boot cycle with the CD in the drive, if I then eject and reinsert the CD, the drive again shows 0 bytes free, 0 bytes available.

(5) The drive has been replaced and the problem continues with identical symptoms.

(6) The drive cannot be written to with either the basic XP CD burning wizard or with Roxio EasyCD V6

(7) I have made sure that the "make recordable" box in the drive properties "Recording" tab is checked.

(8) I have made sure the reg entries describing the drive also reflect that the drive is a writable device.

(9) HP diagnostics SW says the drive is fine

(10) There are no errors in the device manager for the drive (or any other devices for that matter)

(11) There are no other devices connected to the laptop - no USB, nor Firewire, no IR stuff at all

(12) I have unistalled and reinstalled drive device drivers.

Bottom line, the DVD/CD drive will read disks but I cannot write to them with either the Windows CD burning tools or with Roxio's EasyCD Creator V 6.

I do have ITunes installed and have not tried uninstalling. Since the drive appears to be recognized and functional as a "read" drive, I so not think the Error Code 41 discussions in another thread on this site are applicable.

I have scrubbed the registry and deleted all keys that contained Roxio, EasyCD or Sonic in any portion of the key.

Any ideas on where to go from here? The knuckleheads at HP simply say reinstall the OS.. that seems like the typical Tier Dumb support answer.

Thanks,
MECSFO

bledar karafili Oct 18, 2005, 01:43am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hi everyone I was a victim of Itunes bad mannered uninstall until I read a post by Jose Albino(By the way thanks a thousand Jose if you still check the forum). I just didn't want to touch the registry that's why i kept scrolling to this wonderful forum until I saw the light.I uninstalled itunes and quick time according to the steps listed below by Jose Albino, but the cd-drive and the dvd-drive didn't appear nor work again. Then I installed itunes again, restarted my machine (sony vaio) and voila the drives came back working and healthy ready to be sweating again. Then i did Jose's steps one more last time to uninstall itunes and quick time.so here are the sequential steps again:

1.try uninstalling itunes and quick time from control panel
2.restart
3.check to see if the drives are back if not step 4 below
4.install itunes again(download from itunes.com)
5.restart
6.the drives should be back by now(go to My Computer and check)
7. remove itunes and quick time if you hate them by now already with these steps by Jose Albino(my life saver thanks bro)

Jose Albino's posting

ok i found this solution in apple website,,in one of the forums..instructions
Why do I need a step-by-step guide to uninstalling iTunes?
Users often experience difficulties when installing iTunes, and it usually helps to cleanly uninstall iTunes first if you are having trouble. The Add/Remove Programs option in Control Panel can handle this, but leaves little bits-and-pieces all over the place that can affect a subsequent reinstall. Follow this step-by-step guide to ensure clean removal of all iTunes for Windows componentry.

Ensure that you backup your music prior to attempting any kind of uninstallation. Although uninstallation/reinstallation of iTunes usually does not touch the music folder, it is important to have a backup just in case something goes wrong.

Songs purchased from the iTunes Music Store or imported from CDs are saved in the user's My Music folder by default. These files will not be removed by this procedure.

Uninstall iTunes
1) In Control Panel, open Add/Remove Programs (under Classic View in Windows XP)
2) Select iTunes from the list of currently installed programs, click Change/Remove.
3) An iTunes for Windows Installshield window appears. Select Remove, click Next. A Confirm Uninstall window appears. Select OK.
4) A "Maintenance Successful" notification appears. Select Finish.

Uninstall iPod Updater
5) In Add/Remove Programs, select iPod Updater. Click Change/Remove.
6) A Confirm Uninstall window appears. Select OK to remove iPod Updater.
7) Repeat for any and all iPod Updaters.

Uninstall QuickTime
8) In Add/Remove Programs, select QuickTime. Click Change/Remove.
9) The QuickTime Uninstall window appears. Select the Uninstall Everything.
10) The Uninstall Successful window appears. Select OK.
11) Close all windows, restart the computer.

Remove leftover components
12) Open My Computer. Open your hard drive. Open Program Files.
13) Delete iPod, iTunes and QuickTime folders if present.
14) Move back to the hard drive root. Open Documents and Settings. Open All Users.
15) Select Folder Options from the Tools menu. Select the View tab. Select "Show hidden files and folders". Click OK.
16) Open the Application folder. Delete the QuickTime folder if present.
17) Open the Apple Computer folder. Delete the iTunes folder.
18) Go back to Documents and Settings. Open the folder with your username.
19) Open the Application Data folder. Open the Apple Computer folder. Delete the iTunes folder.
20) Open the Local Settings folder. Open the Application Data folder. Delete the iTunes folder.
21) Go back to the Local Settings Folder. Open the Temp folder. Delete QTInstallerHelper.dll.
22) Empty the Recycle Bin.
23) Select Folder Options from the Tools menu. Select the View Tab. Select "Do not show hidden files or folders". Click OK.
24) Restart the computer.

OK now i follow this..after step#11.. after rebboting my pc ..i saw my dvd drives back.
i don't need to go to step#12 throught 24..so if somebody wants to follow this instructions..also i check burning a cd ,,everything is fine now

d c Oct 27, 2005, 06:44am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanx guys for all your solutions I deleted the reg keys as told and re installed the devices and now they work again perfectly, thanx very much!!!!

Dennio

kerry forman Oct 28, 2005, 09:46am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
For five long nights I've laboured to restore my cd-rom drive. The catastrophe all began with downloading an upgrade for itunes... After downloading itunes version 6, itunes wouldn't open at all. So I uninstalled it. I attempted a reinstall, using my original ipod software cd-rom. Not only could I not reopen itunes, quicktime also failed. I did system restores. No luck. I tried the troubleshooter. To no avail. I read somewhere in the itunes forum that the culprit perhaps was the hp all in one printer. So I removed it and uninstalled it. Restarted the computer. Then I lost my cr-rom/dvd drive. I tried more system restores. I began bothering the it teachers at the school where I work for suggestions. Then I took the advice of googling the error code (if that failed, the alternative suggestion was to open up the box and detach and reattach the data cable) - Eureka!!!! I found my way to this forum. I followed the steps that you provided. SUCCESS at last. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I've been unable to sleep properly all this week for thinking about this problem. Tonight I shall sleep for a thousand years. :) :) :) :) I am soooooo happy.

Kaye Xie Nov 08, 2005, 11:36am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
If I had found this site earlier I could have saved myself a lot of labour and stress. I had to send my whole CPU unit for servicing before the warranty expired thinking that it was the failure of the motherboard. The vendor also was not aware of this iTunes registry bug and after testing concluded that the motherboard was indeed failing to read the CD drive.

So they returned the motherboard to the manufacturer. It took 3 weeks to have my motherboard exchanged not to mention not having access to the computer during that period.

On return I still could read my CD drive. I reckoned the problem lied elsewhere then. Went to the device manager, tweaked around and got the error code 41, then searched the Internet and found the brilliant solution here.

Based on what I have read here so far the problem originates from iTunes installation resulting in the said problematic registry value.

How can a big software company like Apple do such a CRAPPY thing causing untold difficulties and stress for countless users? At the least Apple should make a media release of this serious bug in its iTunes software instead of quietly mentioning it at some hard to find page at its website. This is irresponsible.

No wonder Apple is now being sued for its defective Nano now. Big news.

I think hardware vendors of motherboard and CD drive are becoming victims of this problem unknowingly unless they chance upon this site.

This registry bug should be listed by antivirus software as a serious virus. It is nothing else.

Many thanks to contributors for the solution of such an obscure problem. Without this solution I really do not know what to do. I would have settled for a fairly new PC without a CDROM for the rest of its life.

brian smith Nov 11, 2005, 02:46pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks for the assistance re deleting the files within the registry. Worked a treat, now back up and running.

I too encountered this problem following some problems with Itunes.

For info anybody looking to obtain a replacement for Itunes to Syn thier Ipod should try Winamp with its Ipod Sync Plug

Kenneth Grigor Nov 16, 2005, 06:12pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
A brief note of thanks to Ernest Ofori for his instructions.

It may be of interest that, while I found and deleted the UpperFilters value, I did not find an entry for LowerFilters value. However, I then proceeded to delete both DVD drives, restarted both drives reappeared functioning normally.

Thanks again.

Melissa Kilhenny Nov 25, 2005, 06:36pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Bless you all! I reinstalled Itunes and nothing happened BUT then I scrolled down and you said restart your computer for it to take effect. Bless you!!! It worked! I had the SAME EXACT problem with Code 41 and my warranty expired 3 months ago.

I'm so GLAD I came across this thread. Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions. You just saved me from buying a BRAND NEW computer!!!

Thanks again!!! If only the millions of others having this problem knew this was here. I found this thread through Google.com. It appears almost any question under the sun can be answered through it if phrased just right. Thanks again and have a great evening. :) *woohoo*

Linn Ahlbom Dec 02, 2005, 06:47pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thank you so much Ernest!! And everyone else who has posted. I did Ernest's fix and all was fine. What incredible relief and what hatred I have developed towards Apple's blasted software. they really should warn people about this bug in Itunes.

I was so depressed when my CD/DVD reader/burner seemed to be unplugged(?!) inside my laptop(!) At least that was the only conclusion I could come to when the hardware itself was working fine (I could eject and put in CDs and DVDs fine and I could hear them being read), but my laptop just didn't register that my internal CD/DVD reader even existed(!). I was met with emptiness where "DVD-RW Drive (D:)" was supposed to be under "Devices With Removable Storage" in "My Computer." I thought I had got some weird virus but I kept checking and cleaning and updating to no avail.

As a sort of last resort to do something before crying helplessly I decided to google Code 41 and got this thread. As I read the thread I realised one thing that I had in common with everyone else... Itunes! Blasted Itunes! I had installed it, along with quicktime, the other day just before my CD/DVD reader did its dissapearing act. Thank God for Ernest's post or I would have been in a very difficult and expensive situation considering that my laptop is my one tool that I can't be without as an illustrator.

Thankyouthankyouthankyou!

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.