Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1272 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 05:59am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Software /

CODE 41 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Next >>
Gareth Dingfelder Dec 05, 2005, 01:26pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: CODE 41
Can anyone save these two "FIXED" registry keys and export it and zip it up? I accidently deleted the entire 2nd string instead of just the lower value part. I think deleting the entire 2nd string is causing my entire PC to freeze and crash when installing software from CD.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Jean-Michel Vivier Dec 14, 2005, 11:49am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi all,
I notice alot of Code 41 issues here, reported & answered :D
Well I hope that someone can help me out too.. My graphic card (NVidia GeForce FX 5600) has just started to show this code... :( I've tried updating with two new drivers (recent 1 came out days ago on NV's site), this failed so i tried uninstalling it and rebooting without removing the card, tried the install process and new drivers, BUT still the code exists. Under device manager it shows the device name in the properties,and just in that little box below, it still refers to (CODE 41)... :( :( :( It also caused alot of problems booting up my pc, first i could hear the plug 'n' play sound going on & off after logon on (until it finnished loading up for everyday use), then (2nd-ly) after a few update tries it would instantly reboot before the logon screen, I used F8 as necessary to boot in 'Safe Mode' and have now just disabled the device until I am enlighten about my sitution from this forum.... :D:D:D:D:D
GodClassy

Marlin Lachance Dec 18, 2005, 12:04pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 18, 2005, 12:06pm EST

Thanks alot Ernest. I never would of figured it out on my own. I knew it was another lame windows problem when my emulated drives disapeared too. I googled code 41 and got here.

BTW i only had upper filters not lowerfilters but it still worled deleting one.

Also i was instaling nero when it happened

Eric Baumgarten Dec 26, 2005, 01:40am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Got an iPod for my son for Christmas and did the uninstall thing when iTunes did not "see" the iPod. Thought the install must not have gone right. Lost use of CD and DVD drives. Thanks to Ernest Oforio's and Josh Liebo's posts, removing the UpperFilters and LowerFilters portion only of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} registry key (then using device manager to uninstall the device drivers for those drives) the Control Panel's Add New Hardware found them again and re-installed the drivers. Don't we all love hardware/software vendors that require proprietary software to run an MP3 player (or other such devices).

Ken Landers Dec 27, 2005, 11:13pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 28, 2005, 01:52pm EST

I now officially hate Apple! A friend got a free Ipod shuffle for test driving a Jeep, gave it to my daughter cause he didn't want it, so my girl made use of it for awhile until it died (suddenly stopped charging, apparently a common problem and no easy fix). So, I decided to un-install it because the Itunes helper that runs resident was suddenly sucking 100% of my cpu usage. Never noticed a problem until today when I went to install a 2nd hard drive, and found my cd-rom and cd-burner disappeared.
THANK YOU EVERYONE WHO POSTED FIXES! For now I have re-installed Itunes and my drives have come back.

pl2959 Dec 31, 2005, 01:26pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Any idea to set the CD-drive to read CD automatically. I fixed code 41 and see the drive in my computer, but the drive did not reconized cds that I inserted. Before the code 41 problem, when I inserted a cd (music, data, any cds), it would pop up a menu to let me choose open folder or use other programs to run music or burn cd. However, I did not get this pop up. I got error when I double click the drive. Thanks.

Howard Amos Jan 23, 2006, 03:18pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Hey Emest, you are the man! Your posting fixed my problem too. I was cleaning up my installed programs and I un-installed both DVD Xcopy and itunes. Both my CD and DVD drives were gone. Thanks for the post, saved me from doing a Ghost restore.

Howard

ernest ofori Feb 06, 2006, 11:19am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks to you all for appreciating a post that has helped many. God bless you all.

Ernest Ofori

Fernando Kidd Feb 15, 2006, 01:56pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
This post has been around for awhile (more than a year), but it just made me look like a genius to company that I give IT support.

In my case removing the upper filters worked. Although the filters I removed did not have the same entry name as referred to here, I new exactly what to look for and nailed it. They did not have iTunes or nothing like that installed.

Best whishes fellows,

F. Kidd

Dean Younger Mar 15, 2006, 12:27pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I think Phil Budas would greatly benefit from Josh Leibo's advice aswell as Mark Odulio, if he is still looking.

You have to delete the VALUE's within the KEY, not the KEY itself.

Thanks greatly to the man who helped everyone by answering his own question, Ernest Ofori.

I run a Mobile IT Business and this was the first time I had ever seen this problem, (incidentally my customer who had this problem has never used iTunes or DVD XCopy).
When at a customers house especially when you are there to install their internet connection from the Self-Install CD, as this particular ISP makes it extremely hard to set it up manually and therefore could not google, You don't have a lot of time to figure it out.
However the instructions were well enough spelled out that my wife, who knows VERY little about computers, could (after googling), read them out to me over the phone, and it fixed the problem!

Well done Ernest Ofori, and my thanks!

(An invaluable post, no matter how long it has been around.)

Roy Ticehurst Apr 09, 2006, 12:30pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I lost both my dvd drives when updating nero. Deleting both items in registry, as instructed, restored my icons in 'my computer' and removed the yellow ! in device manager and no problems reported. However, using a backup prog both drives failed - drive inaccessible. Both play music cds OK. I have reinstalled Nero 7 premium OK but cannot access a blank dvd disc - 'Drive inaccessible Incorrect function'. Incd is installed and normally asks if formatting required but this does not appear in dropdown menu. I have put the problem to Ahead but have had no reply yet.
I feel I am nearly there and would welcome further suggestions.

Roy Ticehurst Apr 09, 2006, 02:11pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Following my last message, problem solved. Surreptitiously roxio udf reader was installed and was not revealed by 'search', prog list or add/remove progs. Fortunately, nero had a remove tool. I should like to know which progs(s) do this. In fact I had to reinstall nero's Incd udf prog to cure the problem. I hope this may help someone else.
Roy Ticehurst

Shad 4Ever May 11, 2006, 01:58am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
For EM64 and AMD64 system you can download a file right there BETA
But will fix it even on Win2003 Server

For who dont know Gear is not a Virus, it is a SDK used by developer
as the iTunes team and many more... (not a danger as StarForce)

http://www.gearsoftware.com/support/drivers.cfm

Alastair McCann Jul 25, 2006, 06:40pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Brilliant stuff. Screw you Apple and all of your kind!!!!

I have my drives back and they seemed to be ok until I tried to burn a CD. I can't seem to get my E Drive (HL-DT-ST Model GWA-4080N) to be found as a writable drive.

Does anyone have an answer to this please? Please let me know what spec info you need to help me.

Thanks in advance.

BlazeYDH Aug 02, 2006, 09:27pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
HEY THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!! to the 1st person who posted the REGEDIT32 thing i tried that and it didnt work it brought up that error can not delete ...the same one as the other people got...then i saw that REINSTALL ITUNES i did and "lo and behold" ive got my drives back soo once again thanks alot!!!! i registered on here just to thank both of you that helped thnx again!!!!!

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~~^~^~^~
Blaze, putting the Hard Anal in Hardware Analysis.
BlazeYDH Aug 02, 2006, 09:28pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
ALSO I FORGOT!!! AFTER REINSTALLING ITUNES U HAVE TO RESTART YOUR COMP FOR THE DRIVES TO WORK!!!!! p.s. i hate apple :)

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~~^~^~^~
Blaze, putting the Hard Anal in Hardware Analysis.
Adam Henry Aug 28, 2006, 01:02pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
You are the man Ernest Ofori. At first i thought it was crap and didnt work, but i quickly realized i didnt know how to follow instructions :P. Thank you so much for sharing you knowledge, you have taken a huge burden from me. This problem has been bugging me for a while now. Again thank you very much

Maurice Fisher Sep 10, 2006, 11:19pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 10, 2006, 11:21pm EDT

I don't use iTunes so in my case I'm not sure what triggered the Code 41 error. Some things which I did do recently were to install windows xp service pack 2 (sp2) as well as install a second cd/dvd burning software on my machine. The problem didn't happen suddenly either. I had burned two dvds that day and suddenly when I was trying to burn a third dvd the drive disappeared.

As described in some earlier posts I tried uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes but this had no effect. I finally followed the instructions that Ernest posted in his originally e-mail (which I was at first reluctant to do). After rebooting my drive came back but it was no longer recognized by my cd/dvd burning software (Easy CD Creator 5 (ECDC)).

Uninstalling and re-installing ECDC cause the software to finally recognize the drive but the software also changed the registry to put back the UpperFilters and LowerFilters keys. However, the new keys seem different from the ones that I deleted (while following Ernest's instructions). So far so good.

Thanks Ernest for your post.

Dean Younger Sep 13, 2006, 12:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
....quote: (Maurice) "Uninstalling and re-installing ECDC cause the software to finally recognize the drive but the software also changed the registry to put back the UpperFilters and LowerFilters keys. However, the new keys seem different from the ones that I deleted.... "

This is because iTunes and some other Proprietry Software Packages alter the existing value's that you already had, but your Software package needs these value's in the registry to function, when you reinstall the program it writes these values it needs and these ones are un-altered, or "un-corrupted."

Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41) ...according to Microsoft: "This error occurs when Windows does not detect a non-Plug and Play device."

Though their soloution is basic and already proved by many in this thread, not to work for the majority of people with this problem.

Link if interested:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310123/
Most people would have tried this already.

Dean.

Brendan Falvey Sep 14, 2006, 05:54pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
With rgeard to the failure after burning 2 disks. A thought that may throw more light on the problem. Confirm the following sequence
1. you installed the drive and then fired up.
2. Then you loaded the burning software.
3. Then you finished your session and closed down.
4. Then the drive was missing at the next session

If this is the case some changes require a restart to complete installation. If this is the case the system is making those erroneous changes at this time hence the apparent flaky behaviour

Still a problem that should not happen. I have several rules about installing software

dont panic it then only gets worse and you become the hoola hoola bird
Dont do it when you are tired bexcause you do not recognise the transformation into the the hoola hoola bird
If you spend more than 30 minutes walk away for a coffee do somethig else even sleep on it overnight

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.