Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1167 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 15 - 10:37pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Software /

CODE 41 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Next >>
Dean Younger Sep 20, 2006, 03:14am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: CODE 41
lol....It's true, the Hoola Hoola Bird phenomenon, while not well documented, is a frequent occurence.

Dean.

Keep posting, and as a friend of mine would say, "Make sure the Underpants Gnomes don't get you."
:)

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
waqar malik Sep 22, 2006, 12:42pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Go to ADD/REMOVE HARDWARE, get rid off Quicktime/apple trailers and ITUNES and any other rubbish floating around. Reboot ure computer - hey presto - return of the disk drive!!!!

Grant Stephens Sep 29, 2006, 03:34am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
For those of you having problems deleting the affected values, try giving users the Full Control permission to the registry sub folder the keys are in. To do this right click on the folder and select permissions. You should have the users group in there with only read permission. Give users full control and then try to kill it. If you dont have users in there add it or your user name and then grant full control.

Worked for me anyways...

Diane x Oct 05, 2006, 09:14am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi guys,

The easiest and most efficient way to remove these registry values is to go to Start - Help & Support and type in Code 41. Click on the first result in Microsoft Knowledge Base (CD-ROM access is missing and messages cite error code 31, code 32, code 19, code 39, or code 41 after you remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP) and then you can click on Guided Help, which will do it all for you. ;)

This way you won't have to mess around in the registry as it'll be done automatically. :D

All you have to do is follow instructions, restart and hey presto! it's fixed!

I had this problem for months - after each iTunes installation my D drive disappeared but now it's back in action!

Thx

Snowman Griffin Oct 06, 2006, 10:58pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I did the reg delete, but now it's even worse, windows cant even identify the file, what do i do?

James Dixon Oct 20, 2006, 01:02pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey I got this same message about my Audio Codec (Sigma Tel High Def Audio Codec).....It says it cannot find the hardware device yadday yadda same message. I was wondering if the same fix would work? Cause I have no sound and it is very frustrating.

Katy T Nov 17, 2006, 05:43pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Can someone give me this in English? I have the same problem, with the dvd drive being disconnected. Struggling here. :(

Brendan Falvey Nov 18, 2006, 01:18am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I would start with the suggestion given by Diane on Oct 05 2006 above

There seems to be two sources of this problem. Apple software for iTunes and other software that uses the cd drive such as Easy creator. There seems to be a problem with the way these programs install themselves in the registry. If you go down that track visit the microsoft Knowledge base and check out sugegstions before you start. Often the removal process if it is properly implemented it will remove all entries however some do not remove their crud and thats the problem.

There was an earlier post in this thread that spelt out the steps to edit the problem keys out of the registry hives..

If you edit the registry you should use the Administrator logon and automatically have full control for access to the keys.

If you are using a USB device you may need to uninstall the root USB devices in Device manager since other things use the USB stack you cannot delete them and it requires drastic surgery. I ran into that problem with an HP printer.

B H Jan 13, 2007, 04:15pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm semi computer literature (i.e. don't code but am confident about finding my way around otherwise) and i had a code 41 error on my DVD writer. I tried absolutely everything to resolve this and the Registry edit advice on here was the last thing i tried because playing with that is at the edge of where i'm confident.

It worked though. I only just realised there were pages on this too so i'll just say that i had the 'cann't delete' error but i highlighted the files in the folder and they all deleted except the default. For good measure i went through an install/reinstall but i'm not sure that was necessary.

The DVD is back in the land of the living. No other problems so far. Only thing i can tell is different is that under device manager the main header identifies the device as unknown but the sub-header identified the writer correctly.

Anyway, the reg edit works, no other problems so far. Thanks for the fix man

God bless the internet lol

B

England

Vince Wright Jan 31, 2007, 03:11pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jan 31, 2007, 03:12pm EST

Just in case it helps anyone, I have had Code 41 problems after uninstalling a trial version of Nero 7.

Deleting the registry entries and 'uninstalling' the drives as mentioned earlier, fixed the problem after a reboot and allowing the devices to be reinstalled.

Thanks very much to Thangaraj Jayaraman for some excellent advice!

Paul Chenery Feb 09, 2007, 01:25am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I also experienced this problem after uninstalling demo version of Nero 7 from Ahead software.

I guessed it wasn't a simultaneous spontaneous failure of both drives.....

Ernest's initial solution worked for me too.

What is the matter with these people ?

sriram haribabu Jul 09, 2007, 01:12pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hi man...

this is the most funniest part with Me and my Pc .....never imagined such an error will occur....lot of thanks buddy...your method was successful for me.....registry key deleted and device uninstalled and scanned for new hardware...everything was back as it was ....

thanks a lot buddy...
tc

ernest ofori said:
Anyway I have resolve the issue:

To resolve this behavior, follow these steps:
Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

phil budas Aug 12, 2007, 08:34pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hah! This thread is still going! Good to see its helped folk out over the past couple of years though!!!

I STILL HAVE NOT AND WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM APPLE!!!

I eventually fixed this, not by registry key edit or anything. I think it was a random kick to the side of the casing fixed it or something cause one day they just started working again without any registry intervention. Which was lucky. I traded up to a new PC last year anyway and Im a lot more careful about what I put on my PC.

I nearly went on a murderous rampage thanks to CODE 41 back in the day (im a lot calmer these days)...... ;)

Alan bates Aug 28, 2007, 11:55am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks ernest ofori,
Your suggestion for deleting the registry keys worked for me as well.

Judson Adams Sep 02, 2007, 03:58pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (code 41)

Kristian Nielsen Sep 08, 2007, 06:47am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
This post helped me so much I had to comment.

Thanks a bunch Ernest!

civicvp bob Oct 23, 2007, 07:19pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
For all the people that are getting an error when trying to delete the key...

Do not delete the main Key folder, only delete the values on the right labeled upper/lower filters....

That is why you are getting an error when you try to delete.. you can not delete the main key.... just the entries...

Charles Pellegrini Nov 09, 2007, 02:24pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks a million. I was trying to delete the whole key. I didn't try the single upper and lower keys. Look to the right. I'm such a jackass!

Br K Nov 17, 2007, 09:57am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I got this error message when uninstalling Norton Ghost 10. It caused both my CDRW and DVD to disappear. I followed the regedit advice and now I can see both drives. Then I encountered a new problem - XP wouldn't recognize the CD drive as a burner. According to some other KB advice I found that I needed to change the registry entry for drive type to make XP recognise the drive as a burner. I've done that plus confirmed that the "recording tab exists on the CD drive's properties page and that the "Enable Recording" box is checkmarked. I've also checked to see if it could read a music cd and it did. It just won't recognize or write to blank media. Does anyone have any ideas?

bob smith Dec 19, 2007, 01:18am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I give much love and thanks to the one with the knowledge that saved me . I too had the same problem went to work computer worked fine come back next day and both dvd and cd roms no longer worked, i tried everything.. Thanks Again...

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.