Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 485 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 30 - 05:33am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / The frailty of human life, when nature takes its t...

Re: The frailty of human life, when nature takes its toll 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Next >>
Russell Halstead Dec 28, 2004, 09:12pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Re: The frailty of human life, when nature takes its toll
It's hard to protect people and real estate from earthquakes, but there is a degree of protection from tsunamis. People real close to the epicenter can't be warned in time but people farther away can. A tsunamis travels at about 500 miles per hour. Somalia had 9 people killed and they are 3000 miles away. That's about 6 hours of lead time for warnings. A thousand miles from the epicenter would have about 2 hours to react to a warning. 500 miles nearly an hour and so-on. A lot of these people could have saved themselves, but no warning was giving and there is no system for the warnings to be giving. That is so sad that people had to die because their government didn't or wouldn't spend money on this type of warning system, especially when they all are living on what is called the "RIng of Fire". The most active earthquake area on the planet. You just can't live on any sea coast in the world and not expect something like this happening.
Russ

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
George Mc Manus Dec 28, 2004, 09:23pm EST Report Abuse
according to the BBC the death toll is now 50.000,it`s unbelievable that these countries had no type of basic warning system,which could have saved a lot of lives,
it always seems to happen to the poorest people in this world,as if they have`nt got a hard eneough life as it is,i feel really sorry for all the folk that have been injured and lost loved ones and i would like too add my condolences to every one who are mourning,God bless

Sean B Dec 28, 2004, 09:27pm EST Report Abuse
If only we could compel nature to target criminals.....

[Edited]

Michael A. Dec 28, 2004, 10:15pm EST Report Abuse
This is a very tragic event. Blessings to my friends in Ashish and Supreet in India, Mohammed and Karen Sells in Pakistan, and Ariesen in Sri Lanka. I hope you are all doing well and am looking forward to hearing from all of you. May the holy powers of above look down upon and protect you all.

Michael A.
ben woods Dec 28, 2004, 10:58pm EST Report Abuse
Sean B, that comment is not appreciated.

Steve Gaskin, your comments mean well, but don not preach. This is not a Christian forum.

The tsunami events in the Indian Ocean are tragic indeed, and my I express me condolences too all affected. The reason that seems most obvious to me for the lack of a warning system are these countries' economies are current developing nations (thrid-world if you will). Implenting such a warning system for just tsunamis would take a lot of resources.

I am a Republican and I enjoy nature; I am currently majoring in biology. Republicans have been innapropiately stereotyped, and it annoys me to see such condensending stereotypes arise out of no where. Unforutnately for Republicans, the media is liberal based, therefore Democratic and makes many false allegations and stereotypes against Republicans. I know many others in the same boat as I am, just because we are Republican, it doesn't mean we cannot be supportive for nature, vice versa, peoplee being supportive of nature can be a Republican. Certain select motives of some Republicans do not speak for all of Republicans; if I were to make the same judgements about Democrats, they would rant just the same.

Back to the point, as others have pointed out, the shifting of tectonic plates has nothing to do with the air quality and ozone layer. The greenhouse affect is the result of carbon dioxide, and other chemicals that exite easily, rubbing against eachother under the sunlight, several strataspheres up in the atmosphere. These gasses radiate the energy in the form of heat back down to the surface. However, a lot of the blame is being placed on humans and our use of fossil fuel causing the unusual weather, preluding global warming. On the contrary, these types of fluctuations happen all the time in nature, and has been recorded through means of ice dating and sediment dating to monitor historical weather patterns over billions of years. It is also most likely that these changes are the act of nature, as in the past few million years, natural volcanic and forest fire activity has been happening enough to cause this global warming. Our usage of fossil fuels for the past 100 years but the very quick blink of an eye for Earth. Very doubtful that humans could make an impact so big in a mere 100 years. Furthermore, Ice ages take thousands of years to take place. Not two, in all of the National Geographics I have read, I have never seen this to be true.

Again, I restate my condolences to those who lost due to the tsunamis.

DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2000 MHz (10 x 200) 3800+

ECS KN1 Extreme / KN1 SLI Extreme / nForce4-A754 / nForce4-A939

2048 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)

NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT (256 MB)

Creati
Michael A. Dec 28, 2004, 11:51pm EST Report Abuse
Ya, that was a little much, Sean. I've cleaned that up for you. A political joke/bias isn't really called for in a discussion regarding a tragedy such as this.

Michael A.
joseph white Dec 29, 2004, 06:28am EST Report Abuse

Sander Sassen Dec 29, 2004, 06:55am EST Report Abuse
I read a few times in the replies to my column about donating to help relief funds, I beg to differ, from my experience there's a lot of money being 'used up' by these organizations which does not go towards providing aid for those in need. I have yet to see them publish their financial reports and a 3rd party organization verifiying these. Most of them seem to operate from the agenda that they will help people to buy off their 'guilt' by making a donation as judged from their commercials that often compare our lives to theirs trying to create a feeling of sympathy and guilt. I'd rather donate to a local aid station or hospital than to go with any of the international organizations, at least I'll know my money will stand a better chance of being used where it is needed rather than line the pockets of upper management at the help relief fund organizations.

Sander Sassen
Editor in Chief - Hardware Analysis
ssassen@hardwareanalysis.com
Sean M Dec 29, 2004, 08:36am EST Report Abuse
I agree Sander. All the big charities do a lot of work, but they all have paid employees. Still, the money will do most good in the hands of a large organisation, which can coordinate on a larger scale. I understand the big charities are working togther to split the work.

Can we please stop having a trivial little Religious/Political arguement over the deaths of tens of thousands of people?

These people are in all our thoughts, and we really should be thinking about donating, rather than bickering amongst ourselves.

^Sean

Got a hardware problem? - check your PSU... If it isn't that, then I don't know.
ben woods Dec 29, 2004, 10:13am EST Report Abuse
Indeed.

DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2000 MHz (10 x 200) 3800+

ECS KN1 Extreme / KN1 SLI Extreme / nForce4-A754 / nForce4-A939

2048 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)

NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT (256 MB)

Creati
paddlesat16 Dec 29, 2004, 11:29am EST Report Abuse
I'm really sorry for the people out there, but human existence carries on. We are survivors, we all feel their loss. But money will not solve all of those problems those people have. maybe just a little love might. all the community's of the world unite.

Thermalfreak Dec 29, 2004, 11:48am EST Report Abuse
The single event i can think of that could compare to this was a volcano situated near to the area of this Earthquake...the volcanoe xploded and something very similar to this happened....however back then the populations were much smaller and the area did not have as far reaching effects as sri lanka and india....

here in singapore, although unaffected by the tsunami itself apart from tremors, we are being flooded by flights filled with tourists who were in affected areas....its hard to imagine that such distruction went on all around this little island yet we were just out of reach of the destruction....

the statistics are so high and the amount of media coverage that is saturating the TVs i almost cant feel anything anymore.....I want to help but not in a way that would involve the greedy and insensitive charities there are in singapore....if im asked for giving to charity i want it to be by a person whos doing it because they belive in it not by some bloke with a suit and a bussiness folder....whilst doing my winter job as santa i spoke with a member of the salvation army and he mentioned how much they recieve in donations,...a staggering amount he admitted yet i never see it all going to use....

I feel like continuing my plans to join the engineers without borders group.....it seems the only thing i can do without feeding people who send their days begging and their nights in luxury appartments....this disaster is moving and my condolences to those who wont ever read this probably...but i still cant help but know that this is all part of nature and nothing can be done to have stopped it from happening...all we can do is just minimise what furthur damage is happening right now and try to brace for the future again....

Ive snapped:
An xbox360 and a 12" iBook....
And a kawasaki er-6n to mod instead
Wildwood Dec 29, 2004, 06:58pm EST Report Abuse
My prayers go out to all who are affected by this horrible disaster.

As for charities; way too much of the money that's given ends up in the hands of corrupt people. Especially in such large scale disasters. I agree with Sander. I still gave to the Red Cross though. At least some of that money will help.

And for what the US government is "pledging", remember, this is just the initial response. This doesn't even take into account the amount the American people are giving.
Besides, it's always the US who sends in tangible assistance in the form of military personnel and transport to these disasters. Right now, we have one carrier, multiple transport aircraft, and initial supplies of food and water. Search and rescue teams are on the ground assisting in those efforts. Does any other nation do this so quickly, if at all?

http://www.defense.gov/releases/2004/nr20041228-1905.html

http://csmonitor.com/2004/1229/p01s02-ussc.html

Google the info for yourself.

Predator Dec 29, 2004, 11:28pm EST Report Abuse
If you think about it, without wars and natural disasters, the world's population would go crazily out of control. I am not saying its good these people died, but nature has its way of reducing the Earth's population.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
DFI LanParty UT nForce4 Ultra-D

New Forum: http://www.cyberitforums.com
Blood Brother Dec 29, 2004, 11:47pm EST Report Abuse
UPDATE

death toll in Sri lanka - 30000

--------------------------------------------------------
s754 Clawhamma 3000+
g'byte K8Ns 250
1 Gb kingston ddr400
mSi 6600gt AGP

Michael A. Dec 30, 2004, 12:01am EST Report Abuse
This is truly a tragedy beyond words. Each day the death toll continues to rise. I really can't even begin to comprehend how horrible this must be for the people in these regions. I've seen some photos and videos of bodies piled by the hundreds and buildings in total ruin. I honestly cannot think of an emotion to describe how utterly horrible this is. God bless all of you.

Michael A.
Thermalfreak Dec 30, 2004, 01:59am EST Report Abuse
Although it does sound cruel I do have to agreew ith materz natural disasters seem to be the only thing that is controlling population apart from disease....were killing the planet with the population in the first place....so can't say i have anything against nature at this point....shes being pretty light on us if you ask me....

p.s. to the pro american statement earlier by josh which was disrespectful and irrevalent.....the only reason you guys are helping "directly" is because you parked your carriers ass in my backyard ....half the time you park your carriers here while singapore troops "defend" your asses on the ground while the americans stay on ship.....and as far as aid goes....why dont you go search for what private rescue organisations have done...the first and biggest direct help is from the UK.....here in singapore theres 5 dedicated news channels all of which are asian based so they talk about it non stop.....only this morning did i hear a report of any contribution felt from the US....just a few hours after the incident there was already help from the UK......dont try and defend the US and make the rest look bad when you guys havnt done anything 'tangible'

Ive snapped:
Michael A. Dec 30, 2004, 02:41am EST Report Abuse
So what about the fact that the US has put in the largest care package of all?

Michael A.
Thermalfreak Dec 30, 2004, 05:55am EST Report Abuse
Hows that a fact?

EU has a bigger package, Uk alone already gave 30 million and almost every foreign organisation that is already there is either European or based in Europe....

EDit: just watched a short program about whos involved ... now pretty much everyone is involved... the only dif ytho is that the US military JUST started today and even still they want to plan and co-ordinate while germans, taiwanese, japanese, french and british are already going through rubble...

Dont get me wrong im grateful for a force as large and as powerful as the US military starting a relief effort but I wont accept someone making a proud comment about the US's 'largest' involvement and suggesting that no-one else is making a 'tangible' effort.....

Ive snapped:
Wildwood Dec 30, 2004, 07:32am EST Report Abuse
Thermalfreak-
I'm sorry for making that statement, it was not needed here.
I watch too much news. And I get so tired of all the false statements made about the US.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.