Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 520 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 30 - 05:34am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / The frailty of human life, when nature takes its t...

Re: The frailty of human life, when nature takes its toll 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Next >>
Wolfen Dec 30, 2004, 07:44am EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Re: The frailty of human life, when nature takes its toll

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
DeafGuy C. Dec 30, 2004, 07:53am EST Report Abuse
Even so, I can guarantte you that millions of people are dying (not including those affected by Tasuamui) from starvation and America Goverment do nothing about it.

(Sorry for my misspelling, I normally forget how to spell correctly and am too lazy to look it up for proper spelling. Note to Sander and Hill: When the hell are you gonna include the spelling check in HardwareAnalysis.com??????)

Wildwood Dec 30, 2004, 08:38am EST Report Abuse
114,000 dead and still counting...

Thermalfreak Dec 30, 2004, 09:32am EST Report Abuse
Josh... no worries i dont make false statements about the USA, I know theyre pitching in with all the support these people really need....

what i dont like is what that last long statement by Wolf.....no im not bashing the USA but neither am i gonna listen to crap over glorifying what is their fair contribution.....USA didnt start the bandwagon neither are they some sort of great "coalition" leader because all the countries that can make a big difference are already part of it; Australia was already involved before the US wanted to work with it....and by the way the US (e.g. bush) only pledged today....so dont say they hastily made a pledge before understanding the depth of the situation,.,...what is with all the statistics....your so called marine force just started mobilising today and are still to start planning before starting their efforts.....

I said th EU cuz its about as large as the US because otherwise id make it unfair by comparing how a much smaller island called England already pledged 30 mil. on its own which is only 5 less than a country much larger (e.g. the USA)...lets not forget gemany which is trying to convince the US and other countries to halt requests for PAYMENT by the countries affected....

Your big values dont mean anything, have you got anything to compare it to? Theres a whole lot of effort gooing on apart from the US....watch an international news channel once in a once while will ya?

Your facts may be straight but let me assure you....you need a lot more if you want a full picture....
If anything youve only strengthened my stereotype of republicans...proud who show off big statistics with a gun attached to say everyone else is bad and youre good....

The US is pitching in with much needed aid but dont think theyre alone or that others are simply led by them....

edit: " 1.9 Billion in that box for Disaster Relief. After the fighting in Congress it was 1.8 Billion" - hang on what you mean youll give away double that amount after a few months....you seem to be doing the opposite

Ive snapped:
An xbox360 and a 12" iBook....
And a kawasaki er-6n to mod instead
varun rao Dec 30, 2004, 11:03am EST Report Abuse
still recovering from the shock... checked on all my friends living in Chennai .. I have a few relatives in Nicobar island... I do believe they are safe...... Gosh that was unexpected. An earthquake near Sumatra setting up deadly Tsunamis that spread over such a vast area and affected so many countries..... its such a freak thing ....... felt some vibrations early Sunday morining... had no idea this was happening.
By the way India has refused help from the US.... I wonder whats up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Outdated
Steve S Dec 30, 2004, 12:47pm EST Report Abuse

I'm not a pessimist. I'm just optimistically challenged.
Michael A. Dec 30, 2004, 01:38pm EST Report Abuse

Michael A.
Predator Dec 30, 2004, 03:13pm EST Report Abuse
U.S. is probably just doing this so that they can portray a good-boy attitude to the rest of the world. But, we know the inner workings of the government, especially with Bush as the president.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
DFI LanParty UT nForce4 Ultra-D

New Forum: http://www.cyberitforums.com
Sander Sassen Dec 30, 2004, 03:26pm EST Report Abuse
Well, many Americans think that the US government spends about a quarter of their total budget on foreign aid, in reality it is less than a quarter of a percent. To put matters into perspective, more money has been spent getting Bush back into the oval office for another four years than is being donated to help out the people that are caught up in this horrible tragedy. From where I'm sitting that's just a bit sad, but many of the other countries, also in the EU, are doing far worse. In the end it is all about return on investment, and what's to gain from donating to the countries struck by this disaster? Exactly, not much in terms of economic gains, and that's how many of these governments reason, it is about the cold hard cash, nothing more, nothing less.

Sander Sassen
Editor in Chief - Hardware Analysis
ssassen@hardwareanalysis.com
Brendan Falvey Dec 30, 2004, 04:00pm EST Report Abuse
We can argue and point finger at other countries but we should be cooperating regardless. leave the conscience of the individual countries to determine what is adequate. guilt and pride will eventually win out. Better yet lets look to the future, all this navel gazing gets a bit boring as the americans say call your congressman

However in my earlier comments I made the observation that this is a wake up call for this and similar events worldwide. We need to learn from this event and ensure that better response processes are put in place and have a distributed nature

It is no good relying on the US or EU to provide the finance and leadership for these disasters. While a tsunami in the atlantic is possible it is unlikely to have the same scale as the asian one. However an asteroid strike in the north atlantic would have the potential to strike both side of the atlantic. If my geography serves me correctly then noth northern europe and north eastern US would be vunerable to the type of devastation currently seen on our TV news givent the low lying nature of much of those important areas. This could remove any EU and or US leadership and paralyse the finance markets

I repeat that all governments really need to spell out their contingency plans for these events to ensure a less disjointed response in future. each country would need to have a disaster management organisation able to provide temporary leadership and with the ability to request overseas aid if their government was killed. The UN could act as a proxy if the the country has no discernable leadership political or otherwise remaining

Michael A. Dec 30, 2004, 04:10pm EST Report Abuse
I agree, Sander. One must take into account, however, that the US is engaged in a war in Iraq that is costing us billions and billions of dollars. http://costofwar.com/

The money that we have leant to help out is, in all honesty, money that we don't have. We are already up to our eyeballs in debt. While I agree that we are being stingy here at first, I'm sure more money (which again, is all putting is farther into debt) is on the way.

I say bash France first. They haven't even forked out a million yet. Props to the UK which has unselfishly forked out millions upon millions of dollars.

In the end this is about unity. We all need to work together to help those who were affected rather than fighting amongst ourselves over whose donation is the largest.

Michael A.
Carter Sudeith Dec 30, 2004, 04:57pm EST Report Abuse
To comment on Wolfen's post on page 1;

Instead of spending money on war, we could spend money on being prepared for other disasters...

It might not make sense to you, but I don't blame you for not understanding. After all, you back Bush ;)

Carter Sudeith Dec 30, 2004, 05:00pm EST Report Abuse
Michael, France got screwed over by the world.

They helped us with our revolution, and we didn't lift a finger to help them in theirs.

The France-bashing needs to stop.

Bush didn't pledge $35M right away. That's just more BU**SH**. It took him 3 days to respond to the disaster, let alone promise to try to help. The American tourists there have done more to help than anybody back home...

SuPeR Xp Dec 30, 2004, 10:37pm EST Report Abuse
Has everybody heard of the One World Order? Well, all these wars & natural disasters are caused by greed, pollution & corrupted governments. All done on purpose, thanks to an extremely powerful group of people called the illuminate. (Free Masons, like the skulls are also part of this organization).

They run the world governments.

This is all in preparation for the Christ, Yes, the false-christ, the Anti-christ without the capital. Read Revelations.

Not to get religion in this, but this is proof.
...the day of Christ is at hand. Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.
2 Thessalonians 2:2-4

...and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.
Revelation 17:8

Revelation 13:4-5
And they worshipped the dragon which gave power unto the beast: and they worshipped the beast, saying, Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him? And there was given unto him a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies...

"I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another..."
Isaiah 42:8

-------------------------------------------------
Custom AMD HAF 932 Red Dragon GAMING MOD!!!
http://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/2442.html
Thermalfreak Dec 30, 2004, 11:45pm EST Report Abuse
Probably everyone knows this but aparently one website of an organisation got saturated with donation that it almost crashed and they set up a second website last night to cope with people trying to send pledges through.

edit: OOH scary the illuminati! lets start talking bout big untouchable all powerful people to scare everyone and say they dont know anything! they cause natural distasters too dont they?!

Ive snapped:
Jay J Dec 31, 2004, 12:55am EST Report Abuse

PC specs in profile.
Thermalfreak Dec 31, 2004, 01:12am EST Report Abuse
And i still havnt heard from my freind Indonesia.....

Ive snapped:
Josiah Bradley Dec 31, 2004, 03:20am EST Report Abuse
This may sound bad but maybe this is mother natures way of telling us to build better houses and work together. People always give to charities after the people are already dead. If people didnt work on this simple cash system and instead worked together and such we could of had technoligy and things over there already and warning systems and such. This would have saved thousands. and in the end cost even less than the technology used. With all the aid sent in now there could of been less houses destroyed less people dead and thus more people to work on a smaller scale of destruction. I live in virginia and everyyear people with beach houses get killed becasue they do not use the technology man has created and would rather rebuild instead of use pervention. If it takes a disater to show us how to work together and do good then alot of people must die before humanity will shape up.

3Dmark2005 2000
3dmark2006 600! lol
Thermalfreak Dec 31, 2004, 03:48am EST Report Abuse
What youre talking about is the ideal soloution unfortuantely were talking about 3rd world countries and rural areas....those areas cant get tsunami proof housing because they cant even get access to the technology, only small organisations like ingenieurs sans frontiers actually make houses in places like nepal disaster proof....1st world countries and big companies that have the technology would much rather see themselves get big returns and sue anyone who tries to use technology theyve created or patented before anyone else...

frankly im still thinking bout how the world isnt actually capable of supporting 6 billion humans in the first place....and making everyone immune to disease, everyone's house diaster proof and wars non existant wont help that figure....there just doesnt seem to be any full proof solution...

Ive snapped:
Josiah Bradley Dec 31, 2004, 05:36am EST Report Abuse
Theres one solution but no body likes it. Extinction. If we go on like this it mgith as well happen.

3Dmark2005 2000
3dmark2006 600! lol

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.