Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1479 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 17 - 10:44am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Engineering /

Computer restarts for no apparent reason 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
<a class= Dec 03, 2009, 01:26pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Computer restarts for no apparent reason
Is it a custom-built or brand name system? You could try resetting CMOS if you know how to configure it all back. Sometimes computers do randoms**t, that's why there is IT. The fact that "it worked for a year and how come it doesn't work now" is the most typical thing. Like my system worked fine and all the sudden now I need to turn it on twice before it gets into Windows. Who the heck knows wtf happened.

Daryl Shippee Dec 03, 2009, 06:12pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
thats the problem. its not even been a year. as for cmos i do know how to do that. i know quite a bit but this just has me stumped.

j f Feb 12, 2010, 12:06pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,

My computer keeps restarting when the Windows XP logo appears and before it does a quick blue screen flashes. This all started happening after I tried updating avast 4 with a free trial of the new avast 5, as my avast wasn't working and my registration was due to expire. The problems strted from here, as my computer starting restarting with the blue screen. I used system restore to restore my PC to a date previous to downloading the new avast. This worked but my old avast was still not working, with problems with the SKIN??? So i tried uninstalling the old avast with aswClear in SafeMode provided by avast's website. This deleted avast but know that I didn't have an antivirus a tried downloading avast 5 (4.8). After it was done installing i rebooted my computer, and i have the same problem as before, as my PC keeps restarting as the Windows XP logo appears. I cacnot use your forum on this similar problem as I can'y boot my computer in safe mode or regularly without it restarting. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Forum i referred to: http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=vie...ticleid=87

clayton ross Jul 05, 2010, 07:07pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jul 05, 2010, 07:11pm EDT

Every time i research a problem i scour through posts like this one... you know the kind where no one has a good answer... well....

I had the same problem for years. MY fix.... i knew it wasnt my hd/memory/winxp/psu/mb/fans or any other junk i've tested analyzed poked and prodded.... its actually the cpu...

what is happening is everytime you put any sort of load on the cpu, its not overheating, but something inside hits a cieling and crashes, sometimes you'll be lucky if you see a bsod.

the only fix there is, if you are capeable of doing so... Underclock the cpu... i've dropped my p4 3ghz down a few notches from 200mhz x 15 to 196mhz x 15 or somewhere around 2940mhz... literally fixed all my problems... the only drawback so far, my SATA controllers are no longer recognized at boot.

yes these cpu's may have big flashy numbers but they do NOT need to be overclocked, they just need to be tweeked a little bit to run smoothly.

edit:

this reply is actually for those who have "reasonless" reboots. a reboot when you try to play wow, burn a dvd, watch a movie.... anytime you put even a small load on the cpu

also... if your pc keeps rebooting at the windows boot screen, then there is something wrong with your windows system and should have it looked at (previous post)

bj kallies Feb 03, 2011, 10:12pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

bj kallies Feb 03, 2011, 10:18pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
How is your mouse connected? I seem to have solved the same problem (mine could happen once a day or 3 times in 10 minutes regardless of what I was doing) and I plugged in a new mouse. The old one used the serial port at the back that has the picture of a mouse with an adapter for the usb and I plugged the new one straight into the usb port and haven't had a problem yet and it is a record for length of time not restarting.

binjaket gerco Feb 06, 2011, 12:13pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I had the same problem like Alan Potter. When I disable the automatic restart when the system fails to open there are some numbers that show up that have to do with the error. Does anybody know what these numbers mean?

stop: 0x00000024 (0x001902f, 0xf897e80c,0xf897e508,0xf83be1fc)
NTFS.sys -address f83be1ft base at f83b1000, detestamp 41107eea

prasad joshi Apr 26, 2011, 12:10am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
There are two ways,

1, If you still can access Windows, try to disable any backup programs, virus scanning programs or disk defragmenter tools. Try also to run a hardware diagnostics tool to detect any errors your hard drive might have. And run chkdsk /r to detect and repair any file system structural damage.

2, If you are unable to load Windows. Then you should try to access your ntfs partitions by making a ntfs boot disk with NTFS4DOS (freeware). You can download it from http://www.geekswhoknow.com/files/ntfsinst.exe You will need a floppy disk.

After you load the bootable floppy disk onto your damaged system, select either option one (1) or option three (3). If you selected option one (1), type chkdsk /r at the command prompt, and your problem should go away after the disk has been repaired.

Note! Unfortunately there is a chance that your partition is corrupt beyond repair and all of your data is lost. In that case, you need to reformat the partition to be able to use it again.

Additional information can be found at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q228888

Good luck!

clayton ross Apr 26, 2011, 11:41am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
If you are getting a "stop: blah blah " error... go to google or microsoft and search the "stop:0000000xwhatever" the results will get you started on your problem.

each stop error is specific to a certain problem

chris zammit Jun 12, 2011, 05:38am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi all you there

got the weirdest problem i have encountered in so many yrs fixing pc`s. got a system that does automatic restarts randomly. Totally no pattern at all.

New mobo, new cpu, tried different psu,different ram sticks disabled front usb, hooked of cd, fresh vista installation.........it is still doing the thing!!!!!! thought of mobo shorting with case but saw nothing. only thing remaining is that the switch on the case is some kind different,what i mean is that is a small chip with usb , sound and power button. any ideas as this is getting me crazy >:o

cheers
chris

Mak Krnic Jun 12, 2011, 06:07am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
chris zammit said:
Hi all you there

got the weirdest problem i have encountered in so many yrs fixing pc`s. got a system that does automatic restarts randomly. Totally no pattern at all.

New mobo, new cpu, tried different psu,different ram sticks disabled front usb, hooked of cd, fresh vista installation.........it is still doing the thing!!!!!! thought of mobo shorting with case but saw nothing. only thing remaining is that the switch on the case is some kind different,what i mean is that is a small chip with usb , sound and power button. any ideas as this is getting me crazy >:o

cheers
chris

If you have more than one HDD (or that one is in a poorly ventilated position) try moving it away. I had the same problem: hard drives were overheating.

faizan amjad Aug 08, 2011, 02:22am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i fixed it yoohoo.... you can also try this:
Remove any recently installed maliciously software/add-on or any other application or toolbar. Sometimes there occur software conflicts and the Windows causes computer to randomly restart.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/4247551

Adam Sun Aug 23, 2011, 04:43am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Right-click on your Computer and go to Properties-Advanced Tab-Startup and Recovery Settings-Untick the one that says Automatically Restart.
It SHOULD work. Worked for mine.

8)

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.