Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1004 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s September 20 - 12:07pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Processors /

Athlon XP 2900+ I never heard of one these 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>
mothow Apr 27, 2005, 06:28am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Apr 27, 2005, 06:35am EDT

>> Re: Athlon XP 2900 I never heard of one these
OK if the bios doesnt support it no it wont work right and if abit never release a bios that supports it no but all is not lost yet .Google search bios there is a place i forget the name but it has a bios detective that will take a look at your system and then you can order a custom bios i think its $49 but in my opion totally worth if it work's

edit: Found it hope this help's
http://www.esupport.com/biosupgrades/index.cfm

ASRock Z97 Extreme 4 / i7 4790K / Corsair H80i / 4x4GB Crucial Ballistix Smart Tracer DDR3 1600 / 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black / 240GB Mushkin Chronos Deluxe SSD / 2x Evga GTX 670 FTW 2GB in SLI / Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty / Corsair HX1000w
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Ashley Dixon Apr 27, 2005, 08:44pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
thanks. i'll keep that in mind should it 'not' work.

Jalan Jalan Jun 23, 2005, 11:54am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My first barebones kit and my first post in this forum, so your patience much appreciated.

Have been struggling with this purchase from TigerDirect about 3 weeks ago, installing W2k, and have worked/troubleshot my way up to the NVidia USB 2.0 driver which gives me a BSOD after installation. I am sure it is down to my not figuring out how to connect the leads properly. The manual:

( http://www.chaintech.com.tw/download/7xmb/7NJL6.pdf )

is something less than complete. For JP6, it shows a 9 pin mobo connector blowup (5 pins above 4 pins) and a shot of the mobo where there are actually 3 of these pin blocks (0,1,2). Trouble is there are two sets of leads from the front of the case and each has 4 wires (VCC, D1+,D1-, GND; and VCC, D2+,D2-, GND, respectively). According to the diagram, the blownup nine pin block is labeled

top 5 pins are: VCC,D1-,D1+,GND, OC2#
bottom 4 are: VCC,DO-,D0+,GND

I tried putting VCC,D1-,D1+,GND onto block 1, connecting the four wires to the similarly labeled (e.g. D1- to D1-, etc leaving out OC2# since there is no lead for that pin, and the same for VCC,D2-,D2+,GND onto block 2, but got the BSOD. There do not seem to be any leads for VCC,DO-,D0+,GND to connect to the bottom four pins so do not what to think about this.

Since it appears from the post that several of you have your TD systems running correctly, could someone please walk me through which set of the two wires goes to which pins on which connector base? TIA.

Jalan Jalan Jun 23, 2005, 07:29pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have been experimenting more and managed to get a magnifying glass down to where I could read the mobo which shows the following for the 3 pin blocks:

CN23 EXT USB (2&3)
CN23A EXT USB (4&5)
CN23b EXT USB (6&7)

Since there are 3 USB ports on the back of the computer this seems to make sense, although the connecting wires are still a bit of a mystery with their D1,D2 notations, etc.

Also I installed the USB 2.0 driver again and rebooted with both of the front USB leads disconnected and again got the BSOD.

Since I am using W2k and there may be differences between it and XP, could the supplied driver be incompatible with W2K? Any other ideas?

Max Steiner Jun 23, 2005, 08:05pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Jalan...

A physical issue (in this case, the pins & wires) is not giving you that BSOD. Something more afoul is afoot. Have you tried abandoning the supplied USB 2.0 driver and fetching/using a driver update available through Windows Automatic Updates? Pursue that.

Thing is, most times I've seen a USB controller problem, it's a symptom of a foul southbridge chip... but that foulness will also manifest itself in something like the secondary IDE controller (your devices on the sec IDE chain will disappear or function weird), or the audio codec, or something like that.

As far as how to properly hook up your USB wires from the front... it goes like this...

On your motherboard, for the CN23 pin header clusters, they look like this (with an O as a pin)
O O O O O
O O O O

Each _row_ corresponds to a single USB socket, using 4 (or, sometimes 5) wire strands. Red = VCC (power), White = -- (neg), Green = + (pos), Black thin = GND (ground), and Black thick = SHD (shield)
Some internal cables don't have the shield strand, thus your mobo is calling it OC (optional connect)

So, here's how you would connect those wires, based on the above pattern..

RED1 WHITE1 GREEN1 BLACKTHN1 BLACKTHK1
RED2 WHITE2 GREEN2 BLACKTHN2

-----------------------~-------------------
Want to speed up commerce in the USA? Privatize the US Post Office, and turn it into a free-enterpise company that has to actually compete on the open market, instead of hide behind the government's skirt.
Jalan Jalan Jun 24, 2005, 11:36pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Max, very helpful.

Couldn't get the MS site to work, but found an updated driver at Nvidia.

However unsure if I have USB installed completely or not. My HL-1440 USB 2.0 printer seems to work OK, but now My Computer does not want to show my USB thumb drive. Moans like hell if I pull it out without using the USB disconnect icon though. True whether I use the back or the front USB ports, so one indication of progress (though it could be using USB 1.0 for all I know.).

No yellow showing in the Device Manager for (either of) the (now two) USB devices listed which is a good sign, but can't sort out the thumb drive matter.

Very confused.

Max Steiner Jun 27, 2005, 04:04pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Who's the manufacturer of that thumb/pen drive?

Is it stated that it is compatible with XP and 2000?

Is it one that came pre-formatted, or does it need to be formatted?

It's b!tching at you because... while it is not recognized as an actual _mappable_ drive yet, the OS has to acknowledge it as a drive _of some kind_. Windows, because it's a wretched, bloated OS (have to get my jabs in) loves to trick you into believing that it's fast and efficient, so it forms a connection to a drive or device in order to _pre-cache_ any file transfers or access. Lots of mumbo-jumbo, yes.

So, you would have to use the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in order to be free from said b!tching.

-----------------------~-------------------
Want to speed up commerce in the USA? Privatize the US Post Office, and turn it into a free-enterpise company that has to actually compete on the open market, instead of hide behind the government's skirt.
Joe Mama Jul 01, 2005, 07:16pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I bought this combo a week ago and had nothing but problems...windows XP 'serious error' messages, CHKDSK running on startup saying there was an improper shutdown when there wasn;t, stuttering mouse movements, and finally a totally corrupted hard drive. I spent 3 days trying to recover my data (from a 200GB hard drive) and ended up losing about 20% of it. i made sure everything was installed properly and then reformatted and reinstalled. same problems. I pulled the AthlonXP Barton 2900 and installed a AthlonXP Barton 2500 I previously had and, guess what... no problems at all! It's that dang 2900 processor. They must be AMD rejects of the 3000+ or something rebadged. Anyway, I sent it back to TigerDirect. Let's see what happens... I am hoping I will get that works in return. I'll be sure to test it on a dummy system first this time so I don't lose any more data.

Harhoo Jul 01, 2005, 09:33pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Welcome to the club. I had the same problems... wasted THREE weeks, and lost ALL my data. My excuse is, I'm old : ]
The best I can figure is, this processor was made for a specific set-up (motherboard, cards, memory, etc.) for HP. Anyway, that what the folks at Asus tech said was probably the deal. Asus does not support the 2900+. I'd be curious to know what mobo this processor was originally made for. The deeply geeky may be able to tweak this monster, but I don't have the patience. All that installing and uninstalling and instability gives me a headache. I didn't have to do any of that with the right processor. The good news is, TigerDirect will make good with a processor that will work. I had them send me the next # up from the 2900+, and had them send me a new fan as well. I kept the motherboard, and I'm very, very happy with it. Everything else I got with the bundle was OK, and I've had no problems at all. I take back all the evil thoughts I had about Tiger D. I have a really nice set-up, and ALL my rebates were paid. Now all I can think about is building another one! I want an AMD 64 with an Asus mobo : ]

MB: Asus A7V600-X socket A
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 3000+ (Barton Core)
Hard drive(s):
WD Caviar 80GB/7200/8MB
WDCaviar 120GB/7200/8MB
DDR: Ultra 512MBx2 (PC32000/400MHz)
Video: eVGA GeForce FX5500 256 DDR AGP
Creative sound

Harhoo
Jalan Jalan Jul 01, 2005, 10:38pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sorry to be so late in reply, but have been flat out on a project. The thumb drive is a Lexar 512MB which works OK in every computer it has been in, so don't think it was the guilty party.

More likely a combination of not having upgraded to SP4 for W2k, which have done now, and using the original NVidia drivers from the CD. I have now downloaded specific W2k set from NVidia website and installed them.

System now stable (fingers crossed). Now yet online cause the location of this puter not yet wired, but hope to get to this in next few days.

So, so far, so good. Thanks for all of the very helpful posts. (Not chalking this up as successful til I get online, so you may hear from me again.)

Cheers.

Joe Mama Jul 05, 2005, 11:30am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Harhoo,

How did you get TigerDirect to give you an upgraded processor and fan for free? What did you get, a 3000+? I gotta try that. :D

Harhoo Jul 05, 2005, 11:38pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Look at the shipping pages/invoices that came with your components. On the back of the sheets with the return labels are the directions for returning merchandise. If I remember correctly, one needs to offer proof (as in calling the mobo tech help, and get confirmation that that mobo does not support that processor). I can almost promise you that your mobo doesn't, since that processor was made specifically for HP. I feel quite certain T.D. knows this. As a matter of fact, somewhere in the pages that came with my components, were numbers at T. D. to call to get the numbers for the manufacturers' tech help. Does that make sense? T. D. will give you the numbers. I did NOT have enough sense to have kept the shipping boxes, but I took the processor and fan to a UPS store and had them pack and ship them. This seemed to be OK with TD. Do insure the package for the value of the contents. You have to call TigerDirect to get a "return authorization something-or other number" When I called to tell them the processor wouldn't work (according to the Asus folks), I told them I wanted the next processor up. The fan was one of those "pre-sticky ones, so I knew I couldn't re-use it without more "goop". It was stuck to the processor, anyway. Now, if by some chance your mobo DOES (miraculously) support that processor, call T.D. and their tech help will help you get it up and running. If they can't, they will know the part is defective. I'm not a big-time spender with T.D., but I have spent a good chunk o' change on this system I built, and on other projects. I've yet to feel less than pleased with their customer service or tech help. I went ahead and ordered a new processor and fan, and took the risk that they would credit my credit card. They did. If you need more info or those numbers to call, lemme know, and I'll scrounge around for them. I'm tired, I hope this made sense. Good luck, and let me know how it turns out. I think TigerDirect is a good company, and should do right by you.
Harhoo
MB: Asus A7V600-X socket A
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 3000+ (Barton Core)
Hard drive(s):
WD Caviar 80GB/7200/8MB (EIDE)
WDCaviar 120GB/7200/8MB (EIDE)
DDR: Ultra 512MB x 2 (PC32000/400MHz) CL3
Video: eVGA GeForce FX5500 256 DDR AGP

Harhoo
Brian Stewart Jul 06, 2005, 01:07am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Didn't read all the ideas, but
GET SP1 first!

USB 2.0 without SP1 = trouble, maybe not possible, especially for nforce stuff.

MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
1 GB DDR 400
Athlon 64 4600+
6800 GT
R Hurley Jul 16, 2005, 08:35am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Going nuts! Finally had W2K (SP4) and updated NVidia drivers installed along with a number of proggies and Internet all working fine and then the USB printer stopped working. Went into device manager and found one of the USB ports had a yellow marked and attempted the offered "fix". Soddin' blue screen again.

Decided to uninstall NVidia drivers (in safe mode) one at a time until the BSOD went away in order to isolate the offending element. Started with the GART (whatever that is) and now I cannot uninstall any more or all of the NVidia drivers and cannot install over them. Even went into the registry, tried to import a previous save with no luck (typical M$). Then tried deleting every reference to NVidia I could find in the registry. No luck.

Also when I later tried to reinstall the NVidia drivers, I decided to put the install into Programs rather than in a separate folder under C: as it tries to do when you run the install program, so wound up with two folders. Is there any problem at this stage if I just delete both folders and try again to clean the registry manually?

Regardless at this stage it is still BSOD. Any ideas? TIA.

jhimmy chuamberlin Jan 18, 2006, 02:06am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Athlon XP 2900 I never heard of one these how bout the A64 3300+ (paris) (newcastle)

see AMD is trying to sell off processor's of old stock into newer socket's, see as the 2900+ i have been studien the AMD Athlon 64 3300+ Chip an i finally understand it's just a 'Athlon 64 Based Paris Core' which again is part of the 3100+ paris, paris core is just a sempron which is a Pile of you know what, because HP Compaq & Gateway, are selling these CPU's At full price of the model's they are suppose to be that people think they are buying, i just find it really apauling that they can rename this Paris as a Athlon 64, just because they can send updates to cpu-z etc with whatever they want to call these processors, or atleast with this 3300+. because i have two program's, i downloaded when i first got this processor on jan 5 05, an it tell's alot different story, like CPU-Z from jan 05 say's this processor is a paris, now the new cpu-z now says Newcastle, it's funny though just 3 months later, the updated program's had new code names for this CPU, it's all good though cause i still have my old apps from when this cpu first a poped up, i wonder what a 2900+ would say if it ran CPU-Z 127 or maybe even the verson before, this shouldnt be able to happen, i have enough evidence, on this A64 3300+ that make's it not a Athlon 64 period, 2900+ could be a huge cover up aswell, i have CPU-Z 127 if the 2900+ person want's to check it out.

Ian Crowl Jan 24, 2006, 11:38am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have the XP 2900 that i bought from http://www.newegg.com. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813135205), here is the Newegg link @ $125. It comes with an ECS N2U400-A motherboard with 3 dimm, 400Mhz FSB, Nforce2 chipset. A nice board I might add. I have had this combo for 6 months now, and it runs sweet. I have tried overclocking, by raising the FSB to maybe 205. I got the processor up to 2.01, but I am not concerned with OCing so I left it at 200 FSB. The multiplier is 10x. My system is stable as can be, runs game like FEAR, COD2, SW BF2, HL2. I would recommend getting this board and processor.

Processor: AMD XP 2900+ @ 2.00 Ghz
MOBO: ECS N2U400 w/ Nvidia nforce2
RAM: (2x512) 1GB PC3200 @ 400Mhz
Storage: WD Caviar 120GB HDD w/8mb Cache, partitioned (c: 40GB/ d: 80GB)
Graphics: Leadtek GeForce 6200 AGP 8x 350/500

dave bivs Jan 26, 2006, 01:25pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have the same setup from Newegg and its great. I got my 2900 up to 2.3ghz but it was hotter than hell with my pos heatsink. Oh, thats with 2700 ram at stock speed. awesome. onboard video scored a 1300 on 3dmark2001se which is 300 better than my roomates p4 3.0. even though i have only 512mb of ram and he has a gig. i put in a 6600gt and it runs bf2 very nicely. for about 400 bucks you you wouldnt expect my setup to do what it does. even the 1300 buck computers at best buy can barely handle bf2.

Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Jan 26, 2006, 05:47pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
2900 is probably a 2800+ CPU that has an performance Advantage, or a 3000+ with a Performance Deficit.

AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ (133x14= 1867MHz) (209x11= 2299MHz)
DFI LP NF2 Ultra-B (Hellfire 3EG Rev2)
Antec SX800, Neo HE 500, 4 Antec 8CM Fans
Thermalright SI-97 1 Antec Tricool 12CM Fan
CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Barracuda HDs (250/400)
2x Samsung Write
Jason Simons Mar 14, 2006, 05:34pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I had never heard of this one myself but bought just the an oem off of ebay. I have an Epox 8RDA-31PRO and it had no problem booting and running as an XP 2900 at 400MHZ. Works great took about 20 mins. to unistall old cpu and heatsink and reinstall this one and get booted up and running.

Epox 8RDA-31PRO
Athlon XP-2900+
1 gig consair ram dual channal
Nvidia 5600 256 ram

warmonger Mar 14, 2006, 05:49pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well this sounds like the hard to find Athlon XP 3400+ which was released in extremly small quantities here in Canada. The Box even called it a Athlon XP 3400+ Barton Core @ 400FSB.

Super, that thing still available and if so just how good was it and where can it be had from?

Lian Li PC65b; Asrock 939Dual Sata2; X2 4800+; X850XTcat7.5; X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty; Ultra X2 550w; 2GB OCZ Gold Ed. DDR400 DC; WD3200KS, WD800JD; 52x32x52 LG cdrw; x16 DVR110D
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/8853/blackdeathhl6.jpg

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.