Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 983 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s March 31 - 03:56am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe FAQ 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257, 258, 259, 260, Next >>
Alkemyst Darkened Mar 05, 2005, 09:52pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Asus A8N-SLI FAQ
Mike T...first I'd like to say you are pretty helpful here, but lately you are sort of spamming this FAQ with relatively pointless banter.

just an FYI from someone with a pretty busy mailbox.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Whizzz AKA: SLI Scientist@Work Mar 05, 2005, 10:43pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 06, 2005, 01:16am EST

Nathan Cole Mar 06, 2005, 12:02am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Mike and others, how I wish I could have been a better guinea pig! I tried all the remedies, one by one, suggested by Kariage Kun and Drakan to fix my boot problem. None worked, so I thought as a last resort I would change my two raptors to SATA 3 and 4. (I had already removed the maxtor per the suggestions). I don't know at what point the data was cleared... when re-doing the raid array I always elected NOT to clear the hd data. But from then on, the machine wouldn't boot into windows anymore, not even with the cd. It would boot from the cd only, no matter the bios boot order. So I had to reinstall xp, and now everything works fine. However, I haven't braved hooking the maxtor back up.

One detail that I remember from my original install, back when I had both the raid array and the maxtor hooked up: when Norton did a full system scan it reported scanning 2 master boot records. I know this had a lot to do with my boot problems, because now I have only one MBR. When and if I hook up that Maxtor again, is that MBR lurking and ready to cause problems again?

Knock on wood, things are fine so far, and 3dmark05 is almost 4 times faster than with my old system... I guess it should be! Thanks again!

Nathan Cole

A8N-SLI deluxe (1004 bios)
PC power & cooling 510W SLI
fx-55 with thermalright xp-120
1 GB Kingston value ram kit (2 x 512) in dual-channel
2 x evga 6800 ultra
2 x WD raptor 74 GB in RAID 0 (on NV sata 1 and 2)
<not currently hooked up> Maxtor DM10 300 GB
Plextor px -708a (primary IDE)
floppy
Creative Labs sb audigy 2

Paul Bennett Mar 06, 2005, 12:06am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Mike, thank you SO MUCH for all your posts and help....and even asking how i was getting along....honestly, i have read and re read most every page on this board, and as i mentioned this is the first computer i have ever built....i need EVERY LAST NUGGET of info i can get......i really do.....i fail to see how you have been putting up 'pointless banter' and i cannot understand why someone would say that to you ( unless they have a big insecure ego and don't like the lead you have taken on this board ) but i assure you that for whatever it is worth, i am absolutely thankful for your 'pointless banter" PLEASE KEEP IT UP LOL....

to answer your question, i never did get rid of disk boot error please insert system disk message....i see that someone else was getting it too....what i did was to get the Seagate utility disk out and used it to reformat the HD, then installed my new os windows xp pro....it has been running most of the day today....i still have to figure out how to hook up to the internet ( yes i am a dummy lol ) video drivers ( MSI NX 6600 GT ) went fine...sata is ok...both my dvd and cd drives are working...i spent the last thirty mins failing to get to the internet...i have a cable modem ( using it on my old computer right now ) so i simply took the cable modem and cables over to my new rig...plugged the power in, the ethernet cord and connected the cable but no connection...i have never used xp pro and am a little dense on the network set up....or maybe i need to enable something in the bios for nv LAN...not sure....will work on it more later tonight...ugh...again mike, sander, thanks MUCHO for ALL your comments....

Simon Voigt Mar 06, 2005, 06:14am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Another question :)

Has anyone installed Windows XP 64 bit [url]http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/downloads/upgrade.asp[/url]as their first operating system, or is pretty much everyone going with the commercial version of Windows XP Pro?

How stable is the 64 bit version? Or do the knowledgable ones here recommend sticking with a new oem version of XP pro with SP2 already in it (cheaper since we are buying new hardware)

Aleq Skanky Mar 06, 2005, 07:49am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Mike Thellend

First of all thanks for checking up :)

Still waiting till Monday and I'm going to get another PCIE card to see if I can post the PCIE
without getting ** Long-Short-Short **

I have tried your 3-3-3-8 2T timings and that makes no difference reseated the EZ Selector card
I have about 1MM of gold sticking out can't jam that thing in any further (its in single position)
PCI card still posts fine. However I have to move it between the PCI slots sometimes to get it to post.

I've only got the Antec 550w EPS, AMD 3500+, 512MB Corsair XMS 3200 (B1) and a test speaker connected and am powering on and off with the screwdriver.
I've got everything on a test bed cause swaping video cards that often in a case is unworkable.

You asked when I had the last ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe fail on me what was the last thing that happened?
Well it was pretty much I went to boot the machine after 2 weeks of troubled video operation.
(see my complete post on page 52)

I have a feeling the memory is okay and if I can't post PCIE after a few different ram and PCIE combos
and a few clear CMO's this 2nd board is going back to shop. Cause based on my first board initially
detecting PCIE was never an issue it just failed over time.

However I may wait for a new BIOs to come out first and see.

Aleq

Whizzz AKA: SLI Scientist@Work Mar 06, 2005, 08:47am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Simon Voigt

Simon Lu has installed the Windows 64 software and has stated that there are some issues.

Mike :)

Whizzz AKA: SLI Scientist@Work Mar 06, 2005, 09:08am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 06, 2005, 09:52am EST

Dear Aleq,

I have two Ultra cards that did the same thing to me, worked periodically, failed VGA test, the beeps etc. Even in single mode. I even had a tech check my cards out and he said one of them were toast, RMA it. At that point I was very disconsolate about it and couldn't believe that after spending that kind of money that a card was dead. I played with settings for weeks and got it running, cards in SLI are somewhat as sensitive and work like RAID systems. It is for this reason I became the SLI Scientist (lol) that I am. If I got all of these errors with my cards, and even more than that, why are they fully functional now? Just trying to give you avenues to try as I had these issues as well, X 10. There are still 50 things you can try, not necessarily one setting but combinations, including hardware installation procedures and using specific drivers to get that card to work on that board. There is the remote possibility that when your last board bit the dust, that the card suffered some damage as well but hardly likely as it still works, periodically. Personally I feel it's your settings, If you do get another card it could very well work, probably will, but it can mask your current problem. I now enjoy the benefits of dual monitors on the first card and my 57" DVI full screen in SLI mode on the second card, when made primary monitor.

At this point I would flash your cards BIOS with the same BIOS that's on there now, clear the CMOS, reset, reboot and see what happens.

PS: Thank you for being a part of this great community.

Alkemyst Darkened Mar 06, 2005, 09:54am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
You have helped me? I would say the ignorant one has been you, esp on your PSU recommendations saying a 24pin PSU is better than a 20pin without any other validation.

I have only been 'rude' when someone is asking the same question that has been answered already, sometimes on that very page...and then it's more of a read the post than telling them to go away.

You on the other hand are mostly now making this a 'PM' thread...for the record PM's are private, not topic replies, no one really cares if you can't reach a buddy on messenger, or how great you think you are.

> Not once have you greeted me, not once have you responded to any of the friendly PM's I sent, nor have
>you even acknowledged my help towards you here.

This is the exact thing that you need to check into the size of your head. A forum isn't a greeting room, perhaps AOL chat or Yahoo whatever has you confused.

> Who in the hell do you think you are, accusing me of such a thing? Pointless banter, hmmmm, I'm sure,
>your just to ignorant to see the benefits of it all. There is nothing wrong with a little banter once in awhile, >takes the seriousness out of things as many people have problems and are discouraged here.

I said your banter was distracting to the post, esp as of the latest where you showed us a half a page of things you deleted. Whatever, I have a minimum of 400+ scaling as high as 1000 messages a day to go through...mostly key IT/IS issues for my professional duties. You seem to have a small shop and some new eq and are self-proclaiming yourself as an expert/patting yourself on the back/and turning this thread into your own little show. I check back here to see if memory divider issues have been solved and get to see you list 20-30 messages you deleted in your SLI god? day and that you can't reach someone on messenger/chat but figure posting it here would help everyone to know.

You are so caught up in yourself before you accuse others that a look at yourself, I do and acknowledge I have been short...I am short now, but I am no hypocrite. It was ridiculous to have to mention this at all, but going on 60 pages and hard enough to search for the right answer now as it is, your one liners and self-adulations are ruining the thread. Everyone knows you are helping you don't have to remind them.

Aleq Skanky Mar 06, 2005, 10:35am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Mike Thellend

I didn't rush into the last RMA and I wont for this one just its a bit hard when you
can't get the PCIE to post at all. It may well be my PCIE card died with my first board.
(I have not even considered SLI until I have a single PCIE and the mobo running stable)

This is now over a month since I built the system and had it up and running:
Day 1 Installed and loaded XP no probs
Day 7 PCI failed to post so installed PCIE
Day 14 (approx) PCIE now and still PCI fail to post video
Day 23 Asus failed to respond to my technical queries and deleted my ticket
Day 30 Got RMA for the board and picked up brand new one and noted the EZ selector
was set to Single not Dual like my first one
Day 31 My PCIE card does not post however the same PCI cards I was using to test before do fine
(these PCI cards run without a hitch in other machines)
Flashed up to 1004
Day 32 Tested alternate RAM made no difference to posting
Day 33 Tried most of the BIOS settings

I'm only trying RAM timings in case its a memory to bus type problem at this stage.
I cannot flash my PCIE card up yet but I'm going to see what happens if I can get it
to work in another PC I'll try that.

I hate to think of problems others are having cause at the wholesalers I saw about
10 boxes with SLI boards in them ready to ship to customers in parts.

Would be nice if I had 2 boards a few gig of ram and some more PCIEs laying about
at home to test with.

Aleq

Whizzz AKA: SLI Scientist@Work Mar 06, 2005, 10:39am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 06, 2005, 10:44am EST

You have helped me? I would say the ignorant one has been you, esp on your PSU recommendations saying a 24pin PSU is better than a 20pin without any other validation.
>>>>>I somewhat validated this, it's common sense, do you have a diploma in electronics?
I didn't want to waste valuable thread space with detailed info.

I have only been 'rude' when someone is asking the same question that has been answered already, sometimes on that very page...and then it's more of a read the post than telling them to go away.
>>>>>If you were here more often and didn't just slip in and out of the forum, you would have seen some posts regarding this issue. People aren't the problem in question, it's the search function of this site.
Are you smart enough to see that? You seem to be educated!
SO you are admitting you were rude, the is no place for rude people here, this is a community thing.

You on the other hand are mostly now making this a 'PM' thread...for the record PM's are private, not topic replies, no one really cares if you can't reach a buddy on messenger, or how great you think you are.
>>>>>It appears this way as many people do ask questions and you have to go back and forth.
This is why I chose to help fix problems in MSN, to avoid useless clutter here, did you pick up on that?

>Not once have you greeted me, not once have you responded to any of the friendly PM's I sent, nor have
>you even acknowledged my help towards you here.

This is the exact thing that you need to check into the size of your head. A forum isn't a greeting room, perhaps AOL
chat or Yahoo whatever has you confused.
>>>>>Your head is big right now, and you're the one that needs checking. Read up on the definition and I am not confussed you pompous ass.

> Who in the hell do you think you are, accusing me of such a thing? Pointless banter, hmmmm, I'm sure,
>your just to ignorant to see the benefits of it all. There is nothing wrong with a little banter once in awhile, >takes
the seriousness out of things as many people have problems and are discouraged here.
I said your banter was distracting to the post.
>>>>>It will only distract you.

esp as of the latest where you showed us a half a page of things you
deleted. Whatever, I have a minimum of 400+ scaling as high as 1000 messages a day to go through...mostly key IT/IS
issues for my professional duties.
>>>>>Good for you, do you get calls from people in other countries? This isn't a p**sing contest and you're making into one.

You seem to have a small shop and some new eq and are self-proclaiming yourself as
an expert/patting yourself on the back/and turning this thread into your own little show.
>>>>>Never proclaimed that, your just jealous of my superior intellect.(a little more banter just for you)
If you spent more time here you would have seen the post where I said I didn't know everything, but I did know a lot, enough to help people here, which is more than I can say for you.
Keep checking in!

I check back here to see if
memory divider issues have been solved and get to see you list 20-30 messages you deleted in your SLI god? day and that you can't reach someone on messenger/chat but figure posting it here would help everyone to know.

You are so caught up in yourself before you accuse others that a look at yourself, I do and acknowledge I have been short...I am short now, but I am no hypocrite. It was ridiculous to have to mention this at all, but going on 60 pages and hard enough to search for the right answer now as it is, your one liners and self-adulations are ruining the thread. Everyone knows you are helping you don't have to remind them
>>>>>No, I am caught up with people's problems not myself, I think you are intellegent enough to see that, open your eyes! This is your opinion, are you a Psychiatrist or someting?

but going on 60 pages
and hard enough to search for the right answer now as it is,
>>>>>Blame it on the search system, not me. With a little modification to the search system here, text searches will return concise results. We shouldn't have to sift through every page to find something.
>>>>>Hmmmmmmmmm, again your opinion (yet another one liner)

PS: I though I was clear about not sending me another message here, are you blind?

Mike Thellend

Alkemyst Darkened Mar 06, 2005, 10:49am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have nothing else to say to you except out of ignorance you mark me, much like the way you assumed a 24pin PSU is an end all be all...for the record I am 33 years old, I carry a degree in Computer Science, I have been involved in the Cisco / Network community for several years with clients in Netherlands, Ireland, Hong Kong, among other places. I deal with Japan as I have family there as well. I am currently involved with a multi-billion dollar company handling operations of hardware as well as developing a new web identity.

I have been online since 1983 involved with various forums and technical arenas since.

I could also go into 7 other years in Biological Sciences I have through the 5000 level of college, but there is no place here.

You have proven yourself the WAY bigger man here. I slink away defeated there really is nothing I could say for you to understand.

Whizzz AKA: SLI Scientist@Work Mar 06, 2005, 11:22am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 06, 2005, 11:35am EST

I have nothing else to say to you except out of ignorance you mark me, much like the way you assumed a 24pin PSU is an end all be all
>>>>Once again, I never said that a 24 Pin PSU is an end all be all. Did you read the posts properly, regarding this issue? I even recommended that a person in this forum keep his 20 PIN supply as it was adequate for his purpose. You're really not paying attention to the posts here, it shows.

...for the record I am 33 years old, I carry a degree in Computer Science, I have been involved in the Cisco / Network community for several years with clients in Netherlands, Ireland, Hong Kong, among other places. I deal with Japan as I have family there as well. I am currently involved with a multi-billion dollar company handling operations of hardware as well as developing a new web identity.

I have been online since 1983 involved with various forums and technical arenas since.

I could also go into 7 other years in Biological Sciences I have through the 5000 level of college, but there is no place here.

>>>>>Just because you carry degrees in these fields doesn't make you any better than the next person. Practical experience is far more effective in providing answers to problems sometimes. I see you are a highly educated person, both you and I could be valuable assets here, just stop playing moderator. "Live and let LIVE"

You have proven yourself the WAY bigger man here. I slink away defeated there really is nothing I could say for you to understand.
>>>>>I understood everything you said I do have a very high IQ, and carry multiple college degrees. I was not trying to prove anything, just helping others, and had you been here more often you could have put your two cents in everytime someone had a problem, just as I did.

Mike

Whizzz AKA: SLI Scientist@Work Mar 06, 2005, 11:53am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 06, 2005, 12:01pm EST

Aleq Skanky

It took two months to get my system fully stable, mind you, I modified with watercooling, cryo and there were other factors which changed my system. All in all I still had to struggle with settings, false readings, hardware incompatibility etc...

I just hope you get your computer working because really, deep down, that's what we're all here for.

Ton Wissink Mar 06, 2005, 12:21pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Mike>

I tried the things you suggested (on page 49), but to no avail I'm afraid:

after a CMOS-clear it still boots, but most of the time after that it only shows the videocard's bios or something that looks like it... That's the strangest thing, it always works after a CMOS clear, but then when I make a change in the bios, save and exit it usually fails to boot the next time. Even when I only turn off case open warning.

Does the motherboard do anything other than revert to standard settings when you clear the bios?

Anyway, doe you have any other ideas?

Kind regards,
Ton.

MJ Elliott Mar 06, 2005, 12:23pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sander, Mike and Everyone,

Thanx again to Sander for this excellent FAQ. There is a lot of good information on this FAQ and people would definately save themselves a lot of time, if they just stopped to read, before diving in.

After about a month of testing, I've come to some conclusions of my own. Here is my specs.

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe BIOS FInal 1004
Koolance PC3-720SL (Watercooled Case)
Enermax Nosietaker 600W SLI
AMD Athlon 64 FX-53 (939)

2GB Corsair TwinX PC4400CP25 (Running at 2t DDR400 2.5-4-4-8. I was using just 1 GB, but went back to 2, at 2T, I see very little difference in REAL WORLD performance....ie Doom3 Hl2, WOW, etc . Everquest, Worlds of Warcraft, etc do a lot less "harddrive thrashing" with 2GB than 1gb. SO you can say I don't need 2 gb, but hey, it works for me. When I start overclocking, I'll pull it out again)

2x XFX Geforce Ultra PCIe (SLi)
2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA 160GBs JBOD Single off Silicon Controller
1x Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA 120 GB SATA 1.5Gb/s 7200 RPM (same as above)
Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS
Creative Gigaworks S750 THX 7.1 Surround Sound System 700Watts

Now.....I've been building systems for a long time, about 15 years. I'm no expert like Sander and Mike, but I do know my way around a box. This system has run stable and benched very well (I got a 9600+ score on 3dMark05 with no overclock) for over a month in different configurations.

I know Sander said to use the nVidia Raid controller and NIC, avoiding use of the southbridge and use of an IRQ, but I have found that both these cause significantly more instability than the tried and true Marvell Controller and Sil. Raid controller. Athough on the southbridge, I find that both the Marvell and Sil outperform their nVidia counterparts with no trouble, as compared to nVidia. I think this is a Driver issue that may get fixed or better in a new rev, but to be blunt, the nForce components, are crappy. Not the chipset necessarily, but the "bells and whistles" of the set, ie NIC's, Raid Controllers, etc.....and this is due to drivers IMHO.

Now this is just my experience. Maybe my Seagates, don't play well with the nVidia Raid controller.. But I doubt it. I got the same problem with some Hitachi Deskstars as well as a couple of Maxtor's. It's quite clear that nVidia has to get some new platform drivers out. To be absolutely frank about it, nVidia's drivers SUCK!!! (Not news to many of you. This used to be an ATI problem. Wow how the tables have turned.)

Anyway, all that to say this; My system is running pretty tight. I haven't had any problems when running raid or single drives off the Sil. Controller. Whenever I "Wipe and Reload" to test other components, using nVidia's controller, I always......ALWAYS have problems.

Luckily for me, I have lots of computers and components in my house for testing (not a lab like Sander) and I've been able to swap a bunch of stuff to test in different configurations. Everything I built was rock solid until using the nvraid controller and nic. I don't think it's bad hardware. Just bad Drivers.

YOu can take what I said or leave it. Hell, I'm a cop, so this computer stuff is just a hobby for me. So It could be that I don't know "Sh*t from Shinola", but I am fairly confident, at least with my hardware, that I am correct.

Oh and by the way. The Enermax 600W SLI powersupply rocks. No problems for me at all.

Lancer VI

Whizzz AKA: SLI Scientist@Work Mar 06, 2005, 01:03pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 06, 2005, 01:33pm EST

Ton Wissink

I tried the things you suggested (on page 49), but to no avail I'm afraid:
>>>>>One can compare the A8N-SLI (DLX) too unlocking a safe, there is a combination to get it to open and or become stable. We will find that right combo!

after a CMOS-clear it still boots, but most of the time after that it only shows the videocard's bios or something that looks like it... That's the strangest thing, it always works after a CMOS clear, but then when I make a change in the bios, save and exit it usually fails to boot the next time. Even when I only turn off case open warning.
>>>When you boot, do you see the video card BIOS info first before anything else?
>>>What are your settings in PCIPnP?
>>>What is PEG LInk Mode set at?
>>>Is your equipement still connected? ie: drives etc...
>>>Try your Diamond Max 10 on the SIL. This drive does work on the A8N-SLI, it's been verified.

Does the motherboard do anything other than revert to standard settings when you clear the bios?
>>>Yes, there are other chips that retain memory to some degree. I've found that when removing the video card or battery from the board, even video BIOS's change, but all settings that control the card are from the board BIOS settings and windows registry/drivers. I just know that when I did the following, removing my card, it helped.
Computer manufacturers should seriously consider installing a button at the back of a tower to clear CMOS, as first you have to remove the cover to get in,. and removing the battery is dangerous as you can inadvertently short something out.
I for one will be installing such a switch in the very near future.

Anyway, doe you have any other ideas?
>>>Lots

Can it be that somehow saving to the BIOS chip somehow goes wrong causing the board to malfunction untill I clear it's CMOS again?
>>>Very possible.

I you're worried about contaminating the FAQ, you can email me at tonwissink(at)hotmail.com.
>>>Just want to avoid a re-occurrence of today's events.

Kind regards,
Ton.

I would prefer going back and forth in MSN messenger, it would save on forum space as there are many things we could try. If you approve of this just set me up as a contact. We will post any fixes in the forum, you have nothing to lose!

mikethellend@hotmail.com

Ton Wissink Mar 06, 2005, 01:20pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 06, 2005, 01:24pm EST

Mike>

>>>When you boot, do you see the video card BIOS info first before anything else?

Yes. When the board does boot (mostly only after a CMOS clear) after about a second it shows the full screen boot logo and continues on to the SIL raid controller. After I make any change in BIOS and save, it usually only shows that video card BIOS and stops doing anything after that.

>>>What are your settings in PCIPnP?
>>>What is PEG LInk Mode set at?

I've tried everything on auto and I've tried the settings on page 1.

>>>Is your equipement still connected? ie: drives etc...

Yes, like you told me to, I have connected my AOpen DVD drive to the 1st ATA connector and set jumper to master. My Maxtor is on port 1 of the NVidia raid controller.

>>>Try your Diamond Max 10 on the SIL. This drive does work on the A8N-SLI, it's been verified.

I will try :)

>>>Yes, there are other chips that retain memory to some degree. I've found that when removing the video card or battery from the board, even video BIOS's change, but all settings that control the card are from the board BIOS settings and windows registry/drivers. I just know that when I did the following, removing my card, it helped.

It's just so strange that as long as I don't save any BIOS settings, it keeps rebooting fine over and over again. As soon as I enter the BIOS and save (even after loading BIOS defaults or not changing anything at all and just save anyway!) the troubles arise. Can it be that somehow saving to the BIOS chip somehow goes wrong causing the board to malfunction untill I clear it's CMOS again? I'm just guessing of course and really don't know much about how motherboard and biosses function :)

MSN is difficult as I don't have a computer that works anymore :( I'm at a friend at the moment, so not with my computer. I have internet acces at my job as well, from where I post also. I'm afraid that the computer that I had before my new system suffered from a harddisk crash the night after I had ordered the new one (strange eh?). I you're worried about contaminating the FAQ, you can email me at tonwissink(at)hotmail.com.

Dean Edward Mar 06, 2005, 02:06pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
Athlon 64 3500+,socket 939 @2.21ghz.(stock cooler)
POWMAX 500 Watt,LP-6100 EA2-SATA ready(20pin>24pin adapt.)
2x Corsair dual 512 meg,PC-3200, DDR 400
1x Leadtek(Winfast) PX6600GT-extreme(Core,553 mhz / clock,DDR3 1.125 ghz)
Maxtor 6Y160M0 [Hard drive] (163.93 GB,7200 rpm,8mb buffer,SATA)
LITEON Dual Layer 16x DVD Writer,SOHW-1633S
LITE-ON DVD-ROM, SOHD-167T
Creative Audigy2 zs
Cooler Master,Wave Master case stock/w optional 80mm blowhole fan.
Windows XP Professional(SP 2)

Cudo's to you Sander for providing an excellent forum for this mobo.

Never had any problems setting up my first system build. Just followed instructions in the mobo manual.Its been over two weeks and everything is running smoothly. The only glitch is that when i exit Splinter Cell,Pandora- the system reboots. Other than that, its been rock solid. I will be taking Sander's advice when adding a second card and going SLi and will get one of the recommended PSU's.

David Gorton Mar 06, 2005, 03:52pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi All,
I am having crash problems with two pieces of software and was hoping maybe someone would know what might be causing it.
I have a Sapphire Theatrix 550Pro with PowerCinema. This program isn't stable at all, If I get it to were you can view TV it will shortly bring up a message saying it has a problem and needs to close. This is also happening with Pinnacle Studio 9 but only when trying to Capture either from the Theatrix or from my DV Camcorder. I had a trial version of Beyond TV and overall that seems to work fine.
My system is:
A8N-SLI Deluxe rev 1004 bios
XFX 6800GT Video Card
2 IDE 160Gig WD Hard drives in a RAID Mirror array via the NVidia controller, with WinXP SP2. The disks are so setup has Dynamic as Per NVidia suggestions.
1 WD 120GB
2 512 HyperX PC4000 memory chips
1 NEC 3500A DVD-RW
1 HP DVDRW using a SATA converter on NV SATA port
SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS Plantinum
The Theatrix PCI TV Tuner
Adaptec SCSI card
The Case is a RaidMax 668 with 420W PSU

I originally purchased 2 IDE to SATA converters to run the 2 160Gigs of the SATA port but I had no Stability at all and the TunerCard wouldn't even work. Once I switched it to IDE it works but the software isn't stable unless I use Beyond TV. It still bugs me especially since Pinnacle Studio doesn't work right anymore and I need that to be working.
If anyone has any suggestions as to what could be causing the problem that would be greatly appriciated!
I'm thinking it is a conflict with the NVRaid or other IO driver but am not sure.
Thanks!

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257, 258, 259, 260, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.