Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 421 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s July 05 - 11:13pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe FAQ 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257, 258, 259, 260, Next >>
Whizzz AKA: SLI Scientist@Work Mar 23, 2005, 12:07am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Mar 23, 2005, 12:08am EST

>> Re: Asus A8N-SLI FAQ
Double.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Pat Hayes Mar 23, 2005, 12:27am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Robert,
glad it worked. I've had years and years of practice with raid. Obviously this type of raid with onboard ide controllers that aren't really algorithmic raid controllers as a simple concept, but still requires doing things in the right order. Scsi raid in linux is really more fun than anything. I'm glad I was able to help.

Now, having said that, I did some reading today and discovered the following about Maxtor drives....

ATTENTION TO ALL MAXTOR DIAMONDMAX SERIES 9 DISK USERS (160 GIG AND OVER).

The problem with the a8n-sli motherboard is directly related to the drive and not asus. Not everyone using diamondmax drives is having this problem but there are enough of you out there (including myself) that are having problems. I discovered over on the Anandtech forums the following...

The diamondmax drive is not a true true SATA drive, as most SATA drives today are not yet. More and more are appearing, but those built a year ago or longer usually have bridge chips (terminology may not be right, it's been 10 hours since I've looked into it) that allow a PATA drive to connect to a SATA controller and work properly. Those of you with drives like this might have noticed not so stellar drive performance, as have I. I use mine for storage though so no biggie. However, it is related to this.

TO RESOLVE THE PROBLEM YOU MUST CALL MAXTOR AND TELL THEM YOU NEED A FIRMWARE UPGRADE. THEY WILL TRY TO TELL YOU THE MOTHERBOARD IS DEFECTIVE. ADVISE THEM THAT YOU HAVE RMA'D THE BOARD, WHETHER YOU HAVE OR NOT. I hate to put it in caps, but sometimes you just gotta tell tech support people to stfu and give you what you need. Be polite though obviously, as the firmware download is not avail online. If I get a moment to call them up again and re-retrieve the file, perhaps I can post it here with download instructions. Although I would heed that with caution. The Diamond Max series 10 drives do not have this problem, only the 9's. After the firmware upgrade, you should not have the problems associated with this anymore such as
1) system randomly locking up
2) drives dropping from the system
3) BSOD related to loss of connection (the error number is rather long but is related to this)

For the rest of you having problems with the board, experienced or not, most problems related to this situation here are a direct result of inadequate power or incorrect setups (based on what people have said). I'm not trying to push anything on anyone, but I have read the 3 big a8n-sli forums and most everyone figures out that something is up with the power. Sucko power supplies are a huge problem for this board sofar, and not just the a8n-sli, also the k8n from MSI. I hope I got that model number right. The most common problems I've read about with this board is ....
1) system acting funny .....several people have posted they replaced power supplies and solved problems
2) power molex connectors not connected to the mobo, video card, and the 4 pin connector for the mobo near the top of the memory slots missing. (without all the molex connectors on the mobo, I have seen some people report the ability to post but locks up or no post at all).
3) diamond max series 9 and some first revision ibm drives used with pata-sata converters not working (although I believe this is related to the type of converter used) with the nforce controller. Again, power could be at fault here too.

Asus specifies on their website a 500 watt Powersupply. This is very vague and most importantly, misleading. Not all powersupplies are equal. Anandtech's website as well as Tom's hardware have a list of power supplies that are good enough. I think SLI scientist said once earlier about the dual rail and ability to output 18A or more on each rail. This is no SH?T folks.

Ok enough of this stuff.....just get more power.

If you take offense to this, please be gentle :)

finty mcneice Mar 23, 2005, 04:46am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Will an Antec Truepower 550W Normal model be Ok?

manuel manuel Mar 23, 2005, 06:27am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Billy Langston Mar 23, 2005, 07:12am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
High finty,

My system currently runs very stable and in SLI mode with the Antech True550 PSU. That supply also received very strong reviews with MaximumPC even beating out PC power and cooling in the stress tests. So I would say it will be fine :)

-Billy-

BlackHawk Mar 23, 2005, 08:05am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks for the advice. Will post back if I get it working.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I do not suffer from insanity ...
I enjoy every minuet of it!
Prolix Mar 23, 2005, 10:10am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Mike:
>>>After you install the two drivers at the S prompt, do you leave your diskette in to be accessed a second time and till the windows setup red reboot prompt?
* Yes. (Though I don't get the reboot prompt you're talking about; I don't get that far.)
>>>After the reboot, do you enter the BIOS and make the HD the first boot device, then save and exit?
* No... my HD is set as first boot device beforehand, and I'm using the F8 shortcut key to temporarily boot to CD.

Robert:
I have run makedisk.exe a couple of times. That's the program that's in the Drivers\Chipset\winxp_2k\driver_disk folder of the Asus CD, correct? I've used it on a laptop.

Should I install Windows without an array temporarily JUST to run makedisk.exe on the actual PC with the NVRAID hardware? I really don't see where this would make a difference since the program appears to only write a diskette image, but I'm willing to try anything at this point.

P.S. My hard drives checked out OK with WD's Data Lifeguard tools. I'll be calling my system builder again today, and they might want me to consider that some other hardware is bad & needs an RMA. I'll probably also "borrow" some Windows media from my IS department at work just to ensure it isn't my install disc that's causing the issue.

jdr Mar 23, 2005, 10:23am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Whole slew of replies...

Ross Loggie:
"I get one Beep like thing at the start, which I would have thought indicates a succesful POST. Also I get nothing from the Asus Voice Commands. Even when I build without the full load of components in."

I had this problem with BIOS 1002 a few times. Resetting my CMOS (see manual for instructions) fixed it everytime. Flash your BIOS to 1006 or 1004.

asylum asylum:
"When I installed windows on my rig it read the CF reader I had as the first drive now my Raid has been given the drive letter D:"

I've done this. It'll work, but can be a problem if a programmer has been lazy and an application assumes that C: is your system drive. SInce the system is fresh, I recommend wiping it, clearing RAID and reinstalling Windows.

David Cole:
"3. DVD drives: Will have two DVD drives and no hard drives on the IDE connectors. Should I set these DVD drives as master and slave on the Pirmary Ide socket, or both as masters with one each on the primary IDE and the secondary IDE sockets?"

4. Case speaker: I have found no speaker in this case. Any strong reason I should add one before I continue (rather than later).

5. Preferred boot sequence: Would you confirm or change this sequence?
a. hard disk (my RAID 0 c:\)
b. the first DVD unit on IDE-1 (master)
c. the second DVD unit if used as master on IDE-2 (not in list if a slave on IDE-1)
d. floppy disk

6. Earlier post said you can put a sound card in PCI slot 2, but had to disable the Sil3114 controller. I never saw "why". Wondering in advance for when/if I add a sound card.

7. Lan port: Have two ports on board. WIll need only one in this arrangement, so is either preferred? Disable the other in BIOS?"

1 & 2. Sorry, don't know.
3. I would put each as master on it's own IDE contoller -- not sharing a contoller's resources that way.
4. It's good for hearing BIOS error beeps if nothing else.
5. My boot sequence is a) CD-ROM, b) HD. That way I can bypass the regular boot sequence if I need to.
6. I believe it's because the PCI slots and the SI RAID contoller share IRQs -- check the manual for info.
7. The Nvidia port is generally thought of as faster. My understanding is that It runs off the Nforce chipset, and the Marvel port runs off of the PCI bus. Disable everything (ethernet port, RAID controller, etc. you don't use -- See the first post in this forum for details).

Sander Sassen Mar 23, 2005, 01:47pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
There's some discussion about the validity of the FAQ or the helpful posts made in this thread at the below noted URL, maybe some of you can point out to these people that there are REAL issues with this motherboard and chipset and not just fictional ones.

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=382899

Best regards,

Sander Sassen
Editor in Chief - Hardware Analysis
ssassen@hardwareanalysis.com
NEil Barrett Mar 23, 2005, 02:12pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi

I have the following system

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
Tagan TG480-U01 PSU
Athlon 64 3500
Leadtek PX6600 GC
Antec P160 Case
Corsair XMS 3200 XLpt (2 x 512mb)

I put this all together as per all the instructions ... and the first time the PSU blew (great start)

I rma'd it and got a new one ... then putting all together I turned on the power an the green standby light came on the mobo ... then pressing the power button on the case I got a quick flash of the led then nothing .. although the green power light was still on th emobo.

I thought maybe the MObo was faulty so I rma'd that too

The new one came and now after putting the whole thing together the same problem

I have tried it without the graphic card ... still nothing ... only 1 memory card ... still nothing

Also tried resettiing the CMOS .. still nothing

This is my first build and am comletley disillusioned by the whole thing ...

I would be most grateful if anyone has any ideas on what I could do next .. I feel completely (and probably am) clueless

J Ordski Mar 23, 2005, 02:48pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Neil B: I had exactly this happen to me! I switched out a SLI deluxe and new 3500+ to replace a A7N8X and barton 2500+ which worked fine and stable. The new install blew the PSU. With a new Tagan PSU (replacing an antec true 430) I built the components "outside the box" -- literally on the asus mobo box (not the static sleeve).

Start with mobo, cpu, cpu fan, 1 stick memory and GPU. I found a few things (which may apply more generically). First, the fit of the GPU to monitor output in the P160 was very tight due to the need for a DVI to analog adapter in my situation. To use an DVI to analog adapter, I had to torque the card a bit. The adapter also was touching the case, though being plastic coated I figured it would work. On occaison it seemed as if the system could not find the monitor on boot, but jiggling seemed to do the trick (or some magic elsewhere). I had several green light on, no POST starts in the case.

But, the system ran fine out of the box. Putting it back in led to some bumps. The sata connection to my single sata drive seemed loose (using an original asus red connector.) The system sometimes worked it I jiggled the contact (maybe an issue for others with sata drives?) But I got it to work and stay put.

I have had several BSOD's, related, it seems to my Mushkin memory. However, they go away upon reset and everything works fine.

This is a tricky mobo but don't give up hope. I've never had such difficulty (and bad new parts can always be an issue tough to detect without others to switch in and out). But the box runs nice when settled in.

J Ordski Mar 23, 2005, 02:51pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Neil B: Plug a molex connector into the SLI 4 pin molex on the mobo by the PCI-e slots even with one card.

NEil Barrett Mar 23, 2005, 03:13pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
J

Thanks for the tips, However I have the molex lead in the socket and have already built the board outside the box as you have suggested.

And this is the problem .. I really don't know how to proceed!!!

Whizzz AKA: SLI Scientist@Work Mar 23, 2005, 03:51pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 23, 2005, 04:05pm EST

Ross Loggie

>>>At this point I would take your motherboard out of the case and setup on a non-slip, non-conductive surface to test things out.
>>>Test your PSU with a voltmeter. Remove all connectors and put a wire on (holding in place) the green and any black wire of the 20 -24 Pin main connector. This will fire up the supply, then test each individual socket for the corresponding voltages using the black and colored wires (yellow 12V+, Red 5V+ .Black negative etc.) of that particular socket you're testing. You can see the voltages in your manual that correspond to the pins.
>>>Have your video card, monitor, mouse and keyboard plugged in and the power connectors onboard, remove all drives etc.. and try it out.
>>>Have your power button cable on pins 4 and 5 to start the unit.

Mike :)

Chris Giles Mar 23, 2005, 06:30pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Mike & others interested in RAID,

Regarding my strange problem with the SIL RAID array causing BSOD, I have now tested all my discs and confirm there are no problems at all as you predicted :). Thats good!

My array did show as 'basic' and i noticed in the SIL manual that they instruct you to leave it so.

I wondered what the SIL software meant by labelling my array 'legacy', so i tried 'convert legacy raid group'. It did this no probs but now it is not visible at all at boot time which doesnt seem like a great step forward to me! Anyone know the difference here? I had originally created the array using the SIL bios (btw i'm not clear if the SIL bios is installed as part of the asus mobo bios, if so i'm now on 1006). Note that it doesnt even work anymore to point the boot.ini on the lone drive to the partition on the array - just cant see it.

If i have time tomorrow night i'll destroy & re-create the array like you suggested. I tried moving it over to the NVRAID, but then found the SIL does not seem to support my other lone SATA drive on its own.. what a pain, i went back to my original state.

I think i should know soon what the problem is:
- rebuild raid array, format, install xp
- if still BSOD, must be faulty h/w (mobo)
- if ok, marvellous, i'll start working on the next issue....

cheers
Chris

Ross Loggie Mar 23, 2005, 06:54pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
SLI Scientist - After conclusive tests, I believe the motherboard is faulty and am going to RMA it tomorrow I think. The keyboard light doesn't come on (indicating faulty mobo) I have tried out of the box and still doesn't work, and also I get no voice recognition.

Not sure what else to try.

Merc Mar 23, 2005, 07:03pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 23, 2005, 07:03pm EST

SMALL BUG FOUND (maybe) - I have had problems shutting down windows. It just hangs at "Windows Is Shutting Down". While messing around in the case I disabled the "Case is open warning" function in the BIOS. Guess what, windows shuts down properly now. Didn't change anything else. Not a biggie but can be a nuisance.

Merc
Modified Lian Li PC 7077A
Dual Watercooling Loops
Asus P5K Deluxe BIOS 0404
Core 2 Duo Q6600 (3600MHz@1.46v)
Max OC 4050MhHz at 1.65v
1 x XFX 8800GTX XXX Watercooled
2 GB Team Xtreme DDR2 800-PC6400
2 x 150gb WD in Raptors in RAID 0
1 x 640
Whizzz AKA: SLI Scientist@Work Mar 23, 2005, 07:15pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 23, 2005, 07:28pm EST

Ross Loggie
After conclusive tests
>>>Did you test the power supply?

RMA time.

Mike

Kmarbs Mar 23, 2005, 09:10pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Recently put a A8N SLI Deluxe system together, had a few bugs, worst of which was a KMODE error. Anyway, would like to ask a couple questions please.
1. Upon opening nTune I receive a message stating that my PCI clock is set to track the HT bus and if I adjust clock for HT bus the PCI bus will change as well. How do I change it ?
2. I am currently running 1004 BIOS, should I upgrade to 1006 ?
Thanks, Ken

SiNERGY 2k Mar 23, 2005, 09:29pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,

I have a issue with my a8n.

System Specs:
Antec Neo480 PSU
Athlon64 3200+
Asus A8N SLI (1006)
2x 512mb 400mhz RAM
Gigabyte 6600GT PCIe
2x160gb WD HDD SATA
2x80gb Seagate HDD SATA
Windows XP Media Center / Windows XP 64bit

After I install the Nvidia Nforce4 IDE drivers. It took me a while to figure it out but if i install the IDE SW driver it hogs the CPU, about 25-30% constant. It will never drop below 25%. I can't even play an mp3 file without skipping.

It happens in both OS's. But if i leave the windows xp drivers (standard ones) it will work fine although slower access :(

I had the 2x160 in raid 0 but i have now removed that because of this issue. It is also my second A8n mainboard.

Is there anyway around this prob?

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257, 258, 259, 260, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.