Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 472 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s July 14 - 12:03pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe FAQ 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257, 258, 259, 260, Next >>
Ronnie Raney Apr 07, 2005, 11:13am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Asus A8N-SLI FAQ
Well, there's just too many posts on this forum for me to find any answers to my problem so I'm going to try a reply to this massive subject...
I purchased components individually and I am building this monster myself.
My first mistake was ordering an AGP card...so I ordered a plain jane PCI card - which I soon decided was a mistake, so I'm expecting a PCI express card anytime. Anyway, here's my PC so far:

Chieftec - dragon case
400W Powmax LP6100D PSU
AMD Athlon 3200+
Asus A8N-SLI deluxe mobo
2-Kingston 512MB DDR
Maxtor 200GB ATA hard drive
IBM circa2000 generic VGA monitor

Real quick-like, here's my problem. The system seems to power on, the fans turn, the green LED is lit, it tries to access the hard drive or at least the hard drive makes some sounds. I have powered speakers plugged into the green audio jack. Beyond this, there is nothing. There is one quick beep when I turn on the power, there is no video signal - just a blank screen, no POST error voice messages, no further beeps - even when I try taking out the DDR, there is no error beep. I've tried plugging in the chassis speaker both ways that it can be placed, thinking that I wasn't hearing anything because of this. All of this time, I was using a PCI video card, not express, in all three slots, using one DDR or two, in different RAM slots. Could it be my power supply isn't good enough? Do I need to reset the RTC RAM jumper and take out the battery? PLEASE HELP! Ron Raney

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Chris Motch Apr 07, 2005, 12:39pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I just wanted to add I've had pretty good success with my setup, I've had some issues but nothing that couldn't be resolved with a little research. I would rank myself an expert at building systems, I've been doing it now for well over 10 years from my humble 486 to this latest and greatest box. Now initially I had some issues, firstly was with the memory being in the wrong slot, all attributed to not reading the manual, assumption on my part that the memory goes into the first slot, however not the case on this mobo.
A few other issues certainly cropped up also, the Nvidia Firewall turned out to be a bust, it caused all sort of issues with my machine, namely slow downs, or 100% cpu usage, so finally I ditched it and went back to Zone alarm, much better and no issues regarding networking anymore.
I've even tweaked the machine a bit, I can now get a 3dMark2005 score of around 4000, not too bad I don't think from what I can see posted in this forum.
I do have two minor problems that I can't seem to track down.
Problem 1 : When i reboot, sometimes when Windows is starting, I'll get a BSOD, it will reboot and start again, next time it might start, or it might fail again, 95% of the time after two failures it boots up and I have no problems whatsoever. There is nothing in the logs that I can see about this issue, and the machine reboots so quickly I don't know what the error is.
Problem 2 : I've not tested this lately, but when copying large files over the network from my other machine, the machine would BSOD, however when downloading files, and surfing and doing all sorts of other stuff over the network it works fine.

Any thoughts on these two issues?
Chris

raymond Paxton Apr 07, 2005, 01:58pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>remove bat. 10sec....reboot lots...

removed bat...has reset all BIOS settings to std 1006. not touched any of the settings and rebooted around 10 times...still nothing...only being recognised as 1Gb on board...
just to confirm, am using Corsair Value Select VS1GBKIT400C3 memory dimms...two match pair sets...is about 6months production between them...but double checked are def all C3 modules...(thought may have had std + C3 on board...but they are all the same)

what next chief?

Asus A8N SLI Deluxe
x2 LeadTek 6800GT
x2 Seagate Barracuda 160Gb ATA 100 HDD
2Gb Corsair VS DDR400
SB Audigy 2Zs Plat Pro
NEC 16x Dual Layer DVD burner
T7700 Speaker Array
21" Samsung SyncMaster 1100p plus
OldeCrow R Apr 07, 2005, 02:49pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Chris Motch

"the Nvidia Firewall turned out to be a bust, it caused all sort of issues with my machine, namely slow downs, or 100% cpu usage, so finally I ditched it and went back to Zone alarm, much better and no issues regarding networking anymore."

>>>I have been able to get the Nvidia Firewall working ok in my system with a little tweaking,
First ive only got the Nvidia Nic enabled in bios and im only useing the Nvidia nic so that may have something to do with it, and I havent tried the newest 6.53 network drivers and firewall on my current install since the last time i upgraded to the 6.53's it promptly ate my windows install however the 6.53's worked fine on a clean isntall that i did.

Firstly i turned off smart guardian, it has to be manually configured anyway and most of us are too lazy to do that, and smart guardian seems to be the source of P2P BSOD's for many people too.

Second the Firewall doesnt seem to have the correct DCOM permissions set by the installer,
the fix for this is really easy to show with a picture but very longwinded to type so bare with me.

open the control panel
open administrative tools
open component servicces-navigate down the tree view to DCOM Config
find "app_filter" in the DCOM conponents list right click select properties

select the secuity tab

in Launch and activation permissions select the customize checkbox then click the "edit" button

click the "add" button under group or user names

click the "advanced" button on the select users or groups window

click the "find now" button on the select users or groups search window

scroll to the bottom of the users and groups that the search produced

highlight the SERVICE user and click the "ok" button in the search window

hit the "ok" button in the select users or groups window

now you should be back to the security tab for app_filter with the SERVICE user in the list of allowed users and groups

highlight the SERVICE user and make sure local luanch and local activation permissions are checked to allow

hit "ok" and on your way out of the remaining windows untill your back to the component services window again ..

your done the firewall has permissions to work on your system now and wont generate pages of errors and notices in the event viewer anymore either.

now all you have to do is decide if all the firewall related apps eating 50meg of memory are worth it ;)

DOD Petrus Apr 07, 2005, 04:41pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Asus A8N-SLI FAQ memory problem
Mike: computer was running 4 hours with ddr voltage 2.7V and all is ok, i tried to shutdown and after start and all ok, i will see tomorow...bye:)
dod

Whizzz AKA: SLI Scientist@Work Apr 07, 2005, 05:45pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 07, 2005, 08:27pm EDT

raymond Paxton

Usually works!
Have you swapped the matched (unmatch) pairs out?
Try manually setting the RAM to 3-3-8-3 2T in the BIOS.

One thing though, anything you try will need the BIOS cleared and reset, it's good practice when playing with RAM.

Mike :)

Whizzz AKA: SLI Scientist@Work Apr 07, 2005, 05:47pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
DOD Petrus

I hope it holds out!

We all want our systems to work properly, good luck!

jo jo Apr 07, 2005, 07:26pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Mike:

I have unplugged everything and now have a regular mouse on my computer now. But it still reboots. It reboots itself at least once a day.

Can it be the OS that i'm running on my machine. Right now i have Windows XP SP2 Integrated Extras installed on the machine.

Where else can i turn to in order to stop it from rebooting itself?

Russ Spry Apr 07, 2005, 08:21pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 07, 2005, 08:26pm EDT

Jo Jo
Sometimes rebooting can be caused by a short somewhere. If all else has failed take the MB out of the case and build the system on the bench to test and see if the problem goes away. If it does look in the area of the IO shield to see if any of the prongs are bent and that all the screws that go to the standoffs in the case have washers to prevent grounding. Just a suggestion.

Whizzz AKA: SLI Scientist@Work Apr 07, 2005, 08:24pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 07, 2005, 08:52pm EDT

jo jo

Ok, at least those hardware possibilities have been ruled out now. There are so many things that can be attributed to this, it will just be a matter of time before it can be resolved.

Don't lose hope!
I need to fish back on your posts to see what else we can try.

PS - I remember asking if you did a virus scan once, but I don't think you answered me on that one.

Turn off Automatically Restart so that you will get a
BSOD when this happens and see any error messages.

System Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery > Settings > System Failure.
Click the check mark to turn off Automatically Restart and make sure Write an event to the system log is checked.

david cole Apr 08, 2005, 01:15am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Mike, (and all others who assisted my efforts)

I appreciate the offer to go into IM with me on this installation. You may have noticed I can post and proceed somewhat irregularly. I am caught in a time crunch and may have to hold off on further modifications for 30 to 60 days. I cannot go into IM on the computer I am using at this moment (for security reasons) to support personal projects. With Uncle Sam's paperwork and bill due next week and three construction projects with deadlines, I am going to have to install some software and use the new computer "as is" on just the nVidia mounted disks, and depend on USB supported disks if storage beyond the network is required until things slow down. Not counting the fact I have some business trips pushing on my agenda during the next weeks.

I will try to keep the website readings up-to-date (from whereever) in the meantime, and if I am able to make some progress, I will post banners to the world. Likely, in 30 to 60 days I will be starting where I leave-off now. If you have not burned out by then and are still willing to get involved I would love to get out with you on this situation.

For the record, I said in the previous post that I had created a Raid-1 set using the BIOS at post time. And after going thru the install of the SiI drivers, the Raid set was recognized in Windows. As such, when in Windows the raid set exists and files can be stored and retrieved from the set. However, I have found out the BIOS (where it was created) is not recognizing the set just as it is not "seeing" the disks independently. If you ask the BIOS to delete the set, it reports the set does not exist - even though it does exist and works in the Windows environment.

Meanwhile I am going to install some security programs, and move the unit to my office for some business work, and connect to the internet. Thank you for all the work you have done for this site. You have been an encouragement to many, and I have learned a lot about this system from all the user situations even if I did not have those particular problems.

Keep up the spirit and the good contibutions, everybody. I'll be around, just not very active for a while.

David

A8N-SLI Deluxe, FX-55, Win XP Pro - was main, being rebuilt after electrical storm
Sabertooth x58, i7-950, Win 7 Pro, ENGTX460CU TOP, 12GB GSkill, 12GB SSD, 1GB + 2GB HDD @ 6GB/s - main computer
P5Q-E, e8500, Vista 64 - secondary computer
Two P5Q Pro,
jo jo Apr 08, 2005, 01:25am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Mike:

I am reformatting my hard drive again now. I did run that virus scan and there is nothing on my machine.

I hope this fixes the problem because I did have an issue before installing the OS.

ERIC HEMINGWAY Apr 08, 2005, 01:59am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Please help a first time builder out. lol

Well, I have currently put all the hardware together for my box and now I have come to a stop. I am in need of some help.
My first question is; Do I have to install a floppy drive in my box in order to load the "Silicon and NForce" drivers to the bios? If not then what could be an alternative??
I am currently having trouble with this, and feel as if I am missing a simple configuration. Right now I am under the impression that you have to install the drivers for the silicon and nforce in order to get a raid config to install xp. But, I was thinking that I could simply load the drivers on another type of media, such as a usb, or burn the drivers on to another cd. Would that work?
I currently have some other issues, but I will leave them on the back burner. Thank you for anyone that can give me a little help.

Johan Strandberg Apr 08, 2005, 06:50am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,
I have a problem regarding the AC97 sound device on my asus a8n sli delux card. I'm not getting any sound from it. I have scanned this forum for simulair problems but don't find a problem like mine.
When I try to open an mp3 or a sound file in WMP I get this message: Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There may not be a sound device installed on your computer, it may be in use by another program, or it may not be functioning properly.
When I try open the same files in Winamp I get an error saying there is a problem with direct sound.

I have tried updating realtek drivers as nvidia drivers with no luck. In the Device Manager i found one device with this yellow questionmark. Everything seems ok with the sounddevices (ac97) but I can't remove this "unknown device" with questionmark. When I try to install and searches for a new driver for this device it finds something like Kernel Audio drivers on the CD (wich comes with the card). When I install these drivers Windows goes bananas after rebooting (hangs up). What is this unknown device. I have installed the sound package driver wich comes on the CD. Also I have the latest Direct X.
Also when i choose "sound and settings" in the Control Panel everything is greyed out. It can't find any audio devices.
I haven't installed the RAID drivers for the device cause i'm not using RAID. I have also reinstalled my drivers for the Leadtek 6600GT Video card with no luck. I have also installed nVidia chipset drivers.

Is this a ASUS or Microsoft problem?
Anybody recon this problem?
Thanx,
Johan in Sweden

Whizzz AKA: SLI Scientist@Work Apr 08, 2005, 08:56am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 08, 2005, 09:45am EDT

ERIC HEMINGWAY

My first question is; Do I have to install a floppy drive in my box in order to load the "Silicon and NForce" drivers to the bios?
>>>Yes, if you're using RAID.

I am currently having trouble with this, and feel as if I am missing a simple configuration. Right now I am under the impression that you have to install the drivers for the silicon and nforce in order to get a raid config to install xp.
>>>If you are going to use a RAID system, yes for whatever system you use, NV or Sil, not both.

But, I was thinking that I could simply load the drivers on another type of media, such as a usb, or burn the drivers on to another cd. Would that work?
>>>The drivers are already decompressed on the motherboard cd and you can point to the folder at a command prompt, the windows install wants to see a floppy though.

Can you edit your previous post and list your devices?

Whizzz AKA: SLI Scientist@Work Apr 08, 2005, 09:07am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 08, 2005, 09:32am EDT

Johan Strandberg

>>>In Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers do you see the Realtek AC'97 Audio?
>>>Is AC 97 turned on in the BIOS?
Onboard Device Configuration

- Onboard NV LAN : Enabled
- Onboard LAN BOOT ROM : Disabled
- Onboard Marvell LAN : Disabled
- AC97 Audio : Disabled to enabled

The unknown device usually relates to the ACPI driver missing when one doesn't install AiBooster.
E(my dvd drive):\Software\AIBooster\Acpi\WIN2000. If you do have Ai installed, then of course you could be missing an audio driver.

Whizzz AKA: SLI Scientist@Work Apr 08, 2005, 09:33am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
jo jo

How are things going with the new install?

Whizzz AKA: SLI Scientist@Work Apr 08, 2005, 09:34am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
david cole

Anytime you're ready!

Whizzz AKA: SLI Scientist@Work Apr 08, 2005, 09:40am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 08, 2005, 09:42am EDT

raymond Paxton

I've had RAM from OCZ and Geil with different specs installed on my computer and it still worked with no BSOD's or anything. This put a screw into the matched RAM thing on this board, so having RAM from the same manufacturer and same model but different dates should definitely work.

The RAM I had running;
1 X OCZ PC 2700 DDR 166 MHz 256 MB
1 X Geil PC 3500 DDR 433 MHz 256 MB

Whizzz AKA: SLI Scientist@Work Apr 08, 2005, 09:52am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 08, 2005, 09:53am EDT

Ronnie Raney

Real quick-like, here's my problem. The system seems to power on, the fans turn, the green LED is lit, it tries to access the hard drive or at least the hard drive makes some sounds. I have powered speakers plugged into the green audio jack. Beyond this, there is nothing. There is one quick beep when I turn on the power
>>>One quick beep is a good sign.

, there is no video signal - just a blank screen, no POST error voice messages, no further beeps - even when I try taking out the DDR, there is no error beep. I've tried plugging in the chassis speaker both ways that it can be placed, thinking that I wasn't hearing anything because of this. All of this time, I was using a PCI video card, not express, in all three slots, using one DDR or two, in different RAM slots. Could it be my power supply isn't good enough?
>>>25 AMPS is adequate to get it running. See what happens when you get your PCI e card.

Do I need to reset the RTC RAM jumper and take out the battery?
>>>Wouldn't hurt to try. Just removing the battery for 10 seconds would be fine.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257, 258, 259, 260, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.