Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1190 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 23 - 03:20am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Videocards /

Geforce 4 ti 4200 problems 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Next >>
peter lee Jul 14, 2003, 01:25am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Geforce 4 ti 4200 problems
yea i never really knew that so many other people had this problem.
i have a gainward geforce 4 ti 4200 64 mb and for the first couple months it worked fine. than one day it just started p.s.o.d'n on me (pink screen of death) so i contaced gainward and they said that they had a recall on those. so i went and got a new card but this time instead of chaning the screen color it started freezing up. i thought that it might be the windows xp, but nope. then the bios. but nope. than i contacted gainward and got another brand new gainward geforce 4 ti 4200. i then formatted to windows 2000 and after just a few mesely days it started to freeze up again. i am getting really really frustrated with this. if you have any solutions please contact me at krnbosh@hotmail.com or if you use aol instant messenger my screenname is remainyourself

specs :

compaq 5300 US
5000 series
p4 1.7 ghz
1024 sd ram
80 gb ultradma hard drive
12 max dvd rom drive
12 max cd-rw drive

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
chris h Jul 21, 2003, 05:08pm EDT Report Abuse
my geforce 4200 hangs for about 30 seconds at a time, then runs perfectly smooth after that when running a hardware intense game. I cannot benchmark my system, as both 3DMark 2003 and 2001 lock up early in the demo. I wanted to find out if it was an overheating issue or if maybe replacing the card would help, but i found that for some reason, i couldnt even remove the card for fear of snapping it. This problem just surfaced recently, i have no idea what could have caused it. Maybe, it's just the heat of the summer or the card is old (only a year). Is there any verified solution to this problem besides buying a new card?

Zoltan Kiss Jul 29, 2003, 09:46am EDT Report Abuse
>> Geforce 4 ti 4200 problems
Hi! I have a problem with my videocard! But first a question: Can I see TV on the monitor with my (Ti-4200) videocard?
I thought I can, because it's a VIVO card! The video out works, but the video in doesn't work! That was my problem! Can anyone help me? What can I do?

Thanxxx

illy boomwophop Aug 03, 2003, 06:16pm EDT Report Abuse
I'm gonna help you losers because you are my ti4200 brothers, okay hopefully you havent thrown it out or used it for a coaster. I tried everything every driver,bios tinkering, clean installs of xp, sleepless nights(not playing ut2003) i searched hi and lo and know one knows..I figured it was bad mem or a bad card period ..NOPe. The ti 4200 is nvidias best card out beside the fx5900 ultra. it thrahes the ti4800 and all the intro fx cards too and ati's up to 9700 pro(no im not on drugs).. it is and awesome card you were smart to buy it, I was fortunate to have got a chaintech ti4200 128ddr 8x yo mama for 150 when it came out. It ran great for 8 months.. then while playing ut2003 it started to freeze up for a minute then it was fine, then when i opened a windows media encoder movies it would hang, it got progressivly worse I started seeing spots while playing tron and during boot up the progress bar had yellow lines until they turned to yellow blocks when it was in a lower res like 800 by 600 there would be vertical lines until i switched it to 1024 by 768 and when i made any display properties changes in the dialog box it would hang(ex. change refreshrate to 85) then it just plain stoped working crashing one minute into tron 20 or ut2003.
SO i bought a crystal orb and replaced the orig fan still no change(other that it was usable for windows only) i wasnt ready to give up so I took some old cpu heat sinks sawed them with a three dollar craftsman carbon saw from wal-mart and glued them with NON-FLAMMABLE epoxy(devcon 2 ton all purpose epoxy from wal mart like 2 dollars)because not one computer store in oralndo had heatsinks small enough for the memory or artic silver thermal epoxy(which is a bunch of BS the A.S.epoxy that is) well after hacking the heatsinks to little pieces and then epoxying them on every mem chip on my ti4200(which was 8 = 128ddr) i rebooted it and it worked again. Now it gonna take a couple of days for the epoxy to get into the crackz on the surface of the mem chips(on the nano level)and when those molecules find thier niche there will be full thermal impedence(conductivity to the heat sink) the first couple of days i also lowered the memory speed to 450mhz(default is 513mhz for chaintech) it ran perfect, P.s dont touch the core clock speed. I was very pleased being that my card was down a couple of weeks and that it almost ended up in the garbage but didn't. Oh yeah i was about to drop 300 for an ati 9700 or 9800(cause i didnt have the 500 for the fx5900ultra) One more tip you may wanna epoxy the Orb to the ti4200 chip i havent yet but i dont think the thermal grease is gonna cut it..the mustard that is.. any questions post i'll answer..Next time you guys buy a card which will prob be a fx5900 or ati9800 or up make sure it has a really high quality fan and heatsinks on all the mem chips ro buy them and epoxy them on from the begining..because us ti4200 guys dont have 300 dollars every couple of months to spend on a vid card....
gOOd gAmiNg gUys
ggg <~mustard-theory~>(ut2003) uNix(^z)(tron 2.0 demo)
xp2000+
512 pc2700ddr
80 gig 2mb buffer hd
msi kt400 ultra MB
chaintech ti4200 128ddr 8xAgp

sam b Aug 04, 2003, 08:23am EDT Report Abuse
what you on about??

I have this problem as well.. except its with a MSI ti 4200.

illy boomwophop Aug 08, 2003, 03:29am EDT Report Abuse
Scratch what i said it worked for another week then started overheating again .. there seems to be a big problem with nvidia's newer cards the reason they delayed the 5900 ultra was because of overheating i think nvidia knew before they released the schematics to makers that thier design would fail after a short period of time banking on us thinking it was an isolated incident , all this so they could maintain thier lead and profit margins to keep investors and stock holders happy ...ITS ALL A BIG FRONT... nvidia is destroying thier reputation along with me pointing it out.. thier designs are flawed and are overclocked so to try and keep the lead against ATI. We were all suckered and I'm sure nvidia is aware of this epidemic...because if you put in any of the new cards names along with the word problems thousands of sites pop up all with the same issues. When you do the same for ATI all you get is some pages that have to do with driver problems at least you can fix a software problemI only have to get burned once to learn not to play with fire..150 plus tax(and i got a deal on it) for eight months of play is a rip off my geforce 2 mx is still workin and it is a couple of years old but hey that card was made in the good ol days when nvidia had just put everybody out of business because of thier superior graphics cards...I 'm sad to say i think those days are gone and i believe i'm going to regretably buy a 9700 or 9800.. well i dont feel bad were not talking about loyalty to our country but video games and graphic card makers ...Sorry Nvidia you SOLD US OUT no more ..your going down.. hey if anybody knows a lawyer who will start a class action law suit v. NVIDIA for the thousands of bogus cards they sold and thier distributors post and i'll help and join @
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/community/new_message/...0+problems P. S. don't buy a 5900 ultra cause you'll get a 500 dollar burn...

Kim Callow Aug 08, 2003, 03:35am EDT Report Abuse
OK...Here is my system spec:

Ritmo 500w Case
Intel Pentium 4 (2.40c) (Boxed with Fan)
Kingston Ram (2x) 256MB 333mhz DDR PC2700 (Total 512MB)
MSI 865PE Neo2-FIS2R
LeadTek Winfast A280LE TDH VIVO (128MB DDR - Nvidia GeForce4 Ti4200 GPU with AGP 8X)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 (80GB) Serial ATA (Drive Formated NTFS)
Windows 2000 Professional
Sony FD
LiteOn 12x10x32
Viewmaster Optical Mouse

....Here is my problem:

Everytime I load the NVidia Drivers for the Graphics Card my system gets unstable. Lots of

Interferance just at the point when Windows is about to show the Desktop on Startup. (Like putting a

Electric shock into the monitor) and this also happens everytime I click on the (Display

Properties/Settings/Advanced/Geforce Tab) I Get the BSOD, I've also tried with XP Professional and

the same things happen and I get the "Infinate Loop Message"

One strange thing is the Interference only happens on My 17" Monitors (Tried 2 different ones, same

thing) however my 15" HP Monitor Works without any Interference, but still Freezes Etc...)

Also the GeForce card has 3 Lights on it I've never Gotten the AGP8X light to light up yet.

I LOaded, unloaded, Tried different NVidia Drivers....Oh boy..am I Tired.

Oh and the card gets a error light on the board itself when I load Win Fox.

Any help appreciated....

Rob Nettenbreijer Aug 08, 2003, 05:34am EDT Report Abuse
I've bought a new one
AMD Athlon 3000+
MSI KT6(with something)
Winfast A310 Ultra My vivo 256mb DDRII ( GEFORCE FX 5600 )
1024 DDR 400
17" ADI A715 TFT monitor
16X48DVD liteonit
52X24X52 MSI
5.1 Soundcard C-media
USBlaster 5.1 boxes
2x 120GIG hd

illy boomwophop Aug 09, 2003, 07:34pm EDT Report Abuse
CHECK OUT ALL OUR BROTHERS ON THE SITE WITH THE SAME PROBLEMS JUST A DIFF ROOM
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/3822/?o=80
MAYBE I'LL START THE CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT..

illy boomwophop Aug 09, 2003, 07:36pm EDT Report Abuse
FUNNY YOUR CARD WENT DOWN AND NVIDIA'S STOCK WENT UP!! HMMMM.

Gordo Pete Aug 19, 2003, 05:00am EDT Report Abuse
Alright so I go to a friends house for a LAN, and decide to play RTCW:Enemy Territory by dropping the directory onto my desktop from someone elses. Upon playing I start to notice a strange problem: it keeps locking up randomly for a good half minute or less with the sound looping; basically it seems like bad lag.

After eliminating the possibility of connection problems I just decided that the game was fuxored, and left it at that. The next day I bring my comp back home and tried to watch some Tribes demos, and the same thing started to happen! The demo would freeze, the sound looping, and suddenly it would come back, as if I had been lagging. I thought maybe it was just a problem with the demo so I tried reg Tribes and a couple other games (CS, DoD, etc). Then I came to find that every FPS on my comp is messed up with teh same sound looping, freezing problem; theyre unplayable. :/ **Keep in mind my card was working FINE just the day before**

I later narrowed down the problem to my video card, which yes, is in fact a GF4 Ti 4200 (plugged in my old vid card and didn't have the problem). I messed with every driver in every way I thought possible, but to no avail. So now I'm guessing theres a physical problem with teh card. Any suggestions? (Still trying to find my warranty).

Rain Prince Aug 19, 2003, 06:52am EDT Report Abuse
power supply trust me been thru 3 cards

Gordo Pete Aug 19, 2003, 05:26pm EDT Report Abuse
What like you mean it's not getting enough power? I haven't changed the power setup at all since I've had the card, so I dunno... How would I adjust the power supply to fix it?

ben woods Aug 19, 2003, 05:32pm EDT Report Abuse
Power Supplies go with out warning. BTW, I like the games you play, basically what I play. Cept Tribes 2, much better if you ask me. But that seems more like a memory problem, you're sound wouldn't lag like that.

DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2000 MHz (10 x 200) 3800+

ECS KN1 Extreme / KN1 SLI Extreme / nForce4-A754 / nForce4-A939

2048 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)

NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT (256 MB)

Creati
Mike C Aug 26, 2003, 10:37am EDT Report Abuse
My PC spec is:

Pentium 4 1.5 GHz
512 MB PC-133MHZ SDRAM
Gigabyte P4 Titan Series Motherboard (GA-8IDML Series)
Intel 845 AGPset Socket 478 - PC133 SDRAM (Model name: GA-8IDML-C)
2 DIMM/Micro ATX
AC97/ATA100
Leadtek WinFast A280 LE TDH MyVIVO
(Nvidia GeForce4 Ti4200 8X AGP 128MB DDR)

The problem I have is when I play games like Need for speed hot pursuit 2. After I played for 5 mins or more, my case gets very hot n sometimes the game lags. Is all EA games like that or its just a faulty video card??

Alex Stoker Aug 26, 2003, 07:52pm EDT Report Abuse
Well lets make it plain and simple, if you happen to have made it to page 2, you'll see posts from a guy talking about law action etc., but basically nvidia did overclock their card, so just use your lifetime warranty to get another one... or buy a better one when you can.

Phil xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Sep 09, 2003, 04:59pm EDT Report Abuse
The card is WAY too hot by design, as I was en electronics engineer for 10 years prior to IT, no way should a card run this hot ...

SO... Take of the HEAT Sink, I noticed that the "ceramic paste" is not very well applied, add more, to ensure GOOD thermal Transfer to the HEAT Sink

Make sure you have REAL air pushed through the CHASSIS, as it happens my CASE is a GIGAByte GMAX case so the FAN on the back is right by the AGP card.

However I have added (glued on) an extra FAN to the AGP card on the reverse side of the VID Proc chip (its a replacement FAN for Motherboards ($5) and powered it up. This has taken down the CARD TEMP and the SCREEN has settled.

Basically the design is "poor" thermodynamics / cooling design.

KEEP the card COOL it runs fine

PC is running a AMD XP2800 (BARTON) and 256MB DDR PC2700 RAM and it is REAL Quick ... just HOT !!

If you switch the PC off (unplug mains cable) Safty First !! touch the back of the AGP card .. if it's so hot it hurts ... then it IS !!!

Jose Flores Sep 09, 2003, 11:02pm EDT Report Abuse
I just had this card for like 4 days and a day ago it started to get really hot and graphics started getting choppy on counter-strike after like 10 minutes after i get on a server and the fan on it works fine so i have no idea along with the card i got a 300w psu, asus a7n8x motherboard, amd"barton"athlon 2500+. I ordered two fans for case but i am not sure it will help any i probly have a bad card, dont know for sure need help.

Ryan McVicker Sep 11, 2003, 01:16am EDT Report Abuse
test

Ryan McVicker Sep 11, 2003, 01:24am EDT Report Abuse
I built a computer recently with the following specs:

350watt ps
amd athlon xp 2500+
512 pc2700
chaintech geforce4 ti 4800se 128 8x
biostar m7vitpro kt400 8x agp mobo.

When i first built it it would give me runtime C++ library microsoft error when trying to launch or play any game.

Now that ive installed a bios update for "geforce fx support" i can actaullly play them, but i cant read the text in them. Example, the text in counterstirke stats and menus are all a bunch of boxes with colors and garbage, and in unreal tournament, rouge spear, day of defeat, etc.. they lock up every few seconds then go back to normal, etc...

At first I thought this was a biostar m7vitpro kt400 mobo problem, but after reading all of these posts stating its the video card, ive changed my mind.

Because everyone here has a geforce 4, but not everyone has kt400 mobos

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.