Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1466 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 17 - 10:40am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Problem Products /

Toshiba Satellite A75-S226 Battery and Power Problems 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, Next >>
Mike Jesch Feb 27, 2007, 12:19am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Feb 27, 2007, 12:20am EST

>> Re: Toshiba Satellite A75-S226 Battery and Power Problems
Just curious... when did you purchase your computer? My warranty is long gone, having bought mine in September 2004, I think shortly after the model was discontinued. Have they extended the warranties on all these models?

Why did they replace or reformat your hard drive, causing you to lose all your data? Did they say they were going to do that?

Which problem are you having, the power connector problem or the static discharge problem? My static discharge problem is so severe that last weekend, the computer was running, playing a movie, and locked up as I was standing about three feet away removing a sweater I was wearing. I was not touching the computer, or anything else it was touching.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
J D Feb 27, 2007, 12:26am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I purchased mine in December 2004....The problems I have is my computer locks up, shuts itself off, sometimes it just loses sound, the speakers have shocked me a few times. Yes....they said upon replacing motherboard I would lose all data and I did. I have read all the previous threads and gone to the class action site and the Toshiba Settlement Website. Have you been having problems since the beginning. (Mine started less than 10 days after I got it and Circuit City wouldn't replace it) Have you contacted Toshiba? Has it already been sent to them for repair? Whether yes or no, I would contact them if I were you.

Barb Strohl Mar 13, 2007, 11:25am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have an A75-S226 that has had its motherboard replaced, speaker grounded, and heat sink cleaned.
I have been very careful about the power connector because it is out of warranty so I won't replace the motherboard again and I am not looking forward to soldering it.

Now I hve a new problem. Both of my power cords are making high pitch noise and won't deliver any power. (I have 2 so that one stays in my travel case and one stays at home.)
The original Toshiba cord (the stay at home one) died so I pulled out the other, 3rd party, cord and it died also. I have to order a new cord but I am worried that it will just die as well.
Has anyone seen anything like this?

B

oumayer schk Mar 13, 2007, 01:44pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
are u sure the cords are dead?
get the power supply checked, maybe its the connector in the computer problem and not the power cord.

William Medley Mar 26, 2007, 02:52pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
There is a known issue with Toshiba Satellite A75 laptops that deals with the AC Power port. The port actually has a mechanical switch that switches the battery from charging to being the primary power source. The original switch itself goes bad and the mechanical switch inside it fails to work. The part is about $17 and some change on eBay. You have to take the whole unit apart to get to the motherboard and unsolder the old switch and then replace the new switch. I can do it for about $100 + part cost & shipping for you. It's well worth it, seeing as this is an expensive unit.

john albrich Mar 26, 2007, 04:14pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Barb Strohl said:
...Both of my power cords are making high pitch noise and won't deliver any power. (I have 2 so that one stays in my travel case and one stays at home.)

A power supply making high-pitched squealing noises usually indicates an overloaded power supply. That suggests a possible short somewhere in the computer, the connectors, or power cord between the power "brick" and the computer, or a severe power overload condition.

It is possible the switch mentioned above has failed and the power supply is trying to supply both full power to the computer and full power to charge the battery, when they are sometimes designed to supply full power to the computer and partial power to recharge the battery...I don't know how the charging system is designed on Toshiba, so can't say for sure. But, the end result would be that too much power is required and is overloading the power supply. There could also be a different failure that produces the same overload.

Does the squealing stop when the power supply plug is unplugged from the computer? If it does, then something along the lines of what I said above is probably the situation. Test the output voltage of the power supplies. An easy test with a cheap DC voltmeter that can measure at least 30volts..

If when unplugged from the computer the power brick doesn't stop squealing, then the power supply is most probably bad. However, it may have been a prolonged overcurrent condition that caused the power supplies to fail in the first place.

If the computer is working, you may simply need a higher output capable power supply. For EXAMPLE, let's say you previously bought a 70Watt third party power supply. Then the problem might be fixed by purchasing a 150W power supply. Especially if you bought a third party battery as well.

If you decide to buy another power supply, then find the total MAXIMUM power requirements of your computer+charging system, and buy a power supply that exceeds that requirement by at least 20%. Remember that if you add peripherals to USB or firewire ports, you may have to add in their power requirements too. The more devices you plug in, the more power is required.

Charisse Brown Apr 09, 2007, 06:17am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Toshiba Satellite A30 Power Problem
Hi

I have a Toshiba Satellite A30. It works fine running off a charged battery but when I plug the power adapter in, the pack on the adapter starts beeping and won't charge. If I try to plug it in to the back of the laptop with the power switched on already it starts to spark. Yes, I have a problem!!! I thought it might have been the power jack so I had that replaced and it is doing exactly the same thing. I've been told that I need a new motherboard but I don't want to pay $1200 for a new one.

Any suggestions as to what it could be?

Thanks

john albrich Apr 09, 2007, 11:09am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
A few questions for you...

By "sparking" do you mean actual hot, molten metal and incandescent plasma sparks, or do you mean you heard crackling sounds that sounded like sparks?

Take your power adapter voltage measurements first (adapter plugged into AC mains, and NOT plugged into PC) and tell us the result(s) Note: take both DC and AC output readings. The AC reading should be zero or really close to it.

Also, WHAT is sparking? The computer, the power jack, or the power adapter itself?

Also, after "they" fixed the DC jack, did they test their repair and computer? If so, what were the results? Is that when they determined you need a new mobo?

Detailed information on how they conducted their tests is very much needed.

If, however, the computer worked and charged the battery in their post-repair tests, then that's a pretty good indication that your power adapter is the problem. (sounds like that's not what happened, though, since they already told you there's more to the problem...but again, we need more detailed info)
----------------------------------------

Some ideas...
It could be the motherboard, but look in this thread at the post just prior to yours and substitute "sparking" for "squealing" and "high-pitched noise".

I also advise reading the entire thread.

It kind of sounds like you have NOT tried a different power adapter...is that accurate? I would ASSUME whoever repaired your power jack tested using a known good power supply, but we just don't have those data.

As a shotgun approach, trying a 3rd party adapter would be cheaper than replacing or repairing a non-problem-causing motherboard. But, it is possible that if it is a computer/mobo problem then by doing this you could damage the new power adapter, or even cause a totally new symptom like a fire. And, of course, if their post-repair tests already showed that a known good power adapter didn't work, there is no real reason to repeat the test unless you have a reason to distrust the people who did the power jack repair.

Charisse Brown May 03, 2007, 04:42am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Charisse Brown May 03, 2007, 04:54am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi, thanks for the reply.

By 'sparking', I mean blue sparks and they are coming from the power jack in the back of the laptop when I try and plug the adapter cord into it and it's already switched on at the powerpoint. If I plug it in while the power point is switched off then it doesnt spark but when i switch the power on the power pack on the adapter starts beeping and the charge light on the adapter or the laptop does not illuminate.

It's got nothing to do with the actual adapter as I have tried 2 different adapters with it and it still won't charge.

I took it to a Toshiba place the first time and they told me it was the power jack but they didnt replace just the power jack they would replace the whole mobo. So I took it to a friend who used to work at a repair place and he's the one that replaced it.

I'm sorry but I'm not sure what tests the toshiba place did. I know that they did try and charge it with one of their adapters but with no avail.

Gary Dentley May 14, 2007, 01:05pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi, I also had some problem with my Laptop. But recently I found a great tech support site that help me deal with those problem!!! They also have free live chat support

Here is the page for Toshiba Satellite A75-S226 Support:
http://www.fixya.com/support/p264389-toshiba_satellite_a75_s226_pc_notebook

Good luck

Gary

k smith Jun 23, 2007, 12:43pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I had recently started having the common intermitent power jack issues with my A75-229. After searching for a cheap fix (none under $125 considering labor and shipping), I asked a friend who is a little more experienced with soldering than i am to help look at the power jack. There are 4 pins on the jack, 3 pins on the side by the outside of the board and one pin on the side toward the center of the board. The pin of the jack toward the center of the board appeared to be the problem. Directly beside the pin there is a small metal "nub". After testing the continuity of the pin and nub there appeared to be no resistance so soldering a connection between the two shouldn't cause problems. We tried this and there has been no power issues for 72 hours now. If this changes I will repost. I am NOT an IT expert but do like sharing info that might help DIYers. Unfortunately we were doing this on the fly and did not take pictures but hopefully the description is sufficient.

oumayer schk Jun 23, 2007, 01:39pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I recently downloaded a Hyper threading test program from Intel. ran it on my system and guess what...?? It seems the toshiba A75-S226 doesn't have Hyperthreading technology...!!!
Have we all been taken for a ride?????

Let me know if you guys get the same problems.

Dee Demare Oct 14, 2007, 05:31pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Oct 14, 2007, 05:33pm EDT

I am having the same issues with my a105 the only difference is when its plugged in it shows its charging ...it even says its charging on little icon yet its losing power like as if i was just on battery power ...it dies fast then takes hours to charge up and will only charge when laptop is off . i have a new battery and no clue if this could be the same problem the rest of you are having...any clue>?

William Medley Oct 15, 2007, 12:38pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sounds like a faulty connection on the system board after the power jack...

johnny pomoker Oct 15, 2007, 03:31pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello, I have Toshiba Satellite M65-S9092. I'm having sort of the same problem everyone is mentioning except mine is not as bad, but it seems like its getting worse.

I keep the laptop plugged into the wall most of the time, and it will randomly stop using the AC and start running off the battery until I mess around with the little jack that goes into the laptop. Also, I've noticed that if I plug the AC into a different outlet, the problem occurs less frequently.

Here's something I haven't really seen anyone try and that is just running the computer without the battery. I've been doing that but it I still get random shutdowns. It seems to work longer and better if I charge the battery a little bit while the laptop is shutdown, taking the battery out, and then turning it back on.

By the way, I'm not sure if it is a connectivity issue because my green AC plugged in light is always working, so it acknowledges that my power is connected. However, that is just a very blind guess.

So I was wondering if anyone could help me out, I've been seeing tons of stuff on the Toshiba laptops battery problems but I've rarely seen ones on my model or even the whole M65 series.

Also, I was wondering if it's safe to run the laptop without the battery. I've been hearing it was ok to do so, but I'm dealing with a power problem that may change things.

This is a pretty sad problem. Other people deal with software issues or video issues etc, but we can't even keep our computers on.

Thanks in advance.

Lance Thaut Oct 15, 2007, 03:36pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Lance Thaut Oct 15, 2007, 04:09pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
To preface, I have a Satellite P15-S420, I use it every day, at least 6 hours every day between two work locations, so it's always being moved.
I have never had any issues related to static electricity like I have seen here, so I am not commenting on that in any way. Good luck there.
The first time I saw the power issues I had, I replaced the power "brick", then the other half of the cord, hoping it would be these parts first. No dice.
I have opened and resoldered my computer at least 5 times now in the 4 years I have owned it, always purchasing and soldering a new DC jack onto the mother board every time I do it, because I want to minimize the chance of it failing again each time. Every time I've done it, I've become a little quicker at it (now 2-3 hours), I've also become a little more brazen about how much solder I glob on so it is as strong as possible. This last go round has been my best by far. It ALWAYS solves the problem, at least for a while.
But to the heart of the questions above this, they all sound like the DC jack on the motherboard, as I have seen the same, or many variations of the incorrect light indicating charging that doesn't occur, weird battery drain, lack of battery charging and the like.
The post above is very true. If you use the laptop without the battery, and the thing shuts off while you are using it, you have shifted the powercord, therefore the DC jack on the motherboard, therefore broken the electrical connection. This is an excellent confirmation of the issue and I would consider it as Troubleshooting step #1. And it's never good to shut a computer down midstream, but if you're having these problems, you know you are already doing that sometimes anyway, just unplanned.
It's the DC jack........ it's the DC Jack, and just in case you are still wondering, it's the DC Jack.
Hope it helps.

Dee Demare Oct 15, 2007, 05:31pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
ok i have for now solved my problem . It was the plug. Its only 3 monthls old but not a toshiba...worked fine up until a few weeks ago . My other was broken so I decided to try and fix it with a little twisting and electrical tape :) . I did..... and the lapper is charging and performing normally again..... Thank God.....

PS I took the lapper apart ...well almost apart with the exception of disconnecting some ribbons or what have you .... anyone know how to properly disassemble an a105 -s171 ...the manuals i see online so far does not show my model and how to take the plugs./ribbons apart . I want to clean the dust./gunk from fan etc.

Thanks in advance ~!

johnny pomoker Oct 15, 2007, 08:52pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Oct 15, 2007, 11:57pm EDT

A same day follow-up on my situation.

I've actually been running without ANY problems since my first post, maybe like 8 hours ago. Weird eh? My battery is fully charged, no discharging whatsoever. I did, however, change something.

I went into the device manager and I disabled the battery. I noticed at first, it still discharged, but then I wiggled the jack, went into hibernate, de-hibernated (word?), and its been going good since. However, I'm pretty much expecting it to start discharging any second.

So, does anyone know if disabling the battery does anything? If not, my next step will be to uninstall Toshiba Power Saver, as someone has mentioned in this thread.

If that doesn't work then I will open my computer up, I guess. I'm really saving that until I really need to though, because at this point, it's a little above a minor annoyance. Also, I've never opened a laptop up before and I've only seen a soldering iron like twice before. On top of that, I'm in the "post-college rebel bullshit" phase, so yeah, not a lot of money.

Edit 3 hours later: Damn, my computer shutdown twice. There was no battery, just running off AC.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.