Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1467 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 11 - 01:48pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Problem Products /

Toshiba Satellite A75-S226 Battery and Power Problems 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, Next >>
Jan Benschop Feb 23, 2008, 05:33pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Toshiba Satellite A75-S226 Battery and Power Problems
Hello Randy,
Just now, in February of 2008, I read the threads concerning the power problems with the Satellite A75. I wish I could go back in time and help you with your lawsuit, but I am probably a bit late.

Before reading these posts, I already went into my laptop and soldered the power jack back onto the board. I also soldered the pigtail for the + connection back onto the back of the jack. It ran fine for a couple of weeks, and now for a couple of days, the battery charging light (green) dimmed down and flickered, sometimes coming on bright to indicate the battery was charging. But now, the power management software is dimming my screen after running the computer for a couple of minutes, and telling me that my battery is discharged, and to power the computer down immediately. The power in light stays lit, telling me that the power connection is fine, but the battery won't charge.
Here's my questions:
1. Where, on what thread or URL, can I find information on how to fix it?
2. How much would you charge to fix it?
3. Can you send me information on where to send it?
dutchtreat@dishmail.net

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Jan Benschop Feb 23, 2008, 05:48pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Mike, I'm new -- as of Feb 23 2008 -- to this forum. I have problems with my A75, opened it up, temporarily repaired it with a re-solder of the jack to the board and the + pigtail to the back of the jack, but now it is giving me a different problem: it is not charging the battery anymore, so regardless of AC being hooked up and the AC light being on, it still shuts down.
Did you ever post those pictures, and can you tell me how to access them?
Jan Benschop (Dutchman)

Jordan Peterson Mar 19, 2008, 04:12pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 19, 2008, 06:29pm EDT

Add to this long list of yet another laptop A75-S2292. Replaced the battery as I thought that was the problem. Now I'm getting ready to crack open the case and try the soldering trick. It's been awhile and I've not been the best at it but we'll see how it goes! :)

By the way, I'm going to use these instructions. http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/ToshibaA75/satA75_1.htm

I've used them before to take it apart and blow the laptop out with air. It went off pretty well except there was a thin line that appeared on the left hand side of the screen. Nothing major but it was there.

Then these to do the work.

http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2007/12/06/dc-power-jack.../#comments
http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2006/01/28/toshiba-satel.../#comments

Some notes as I proceed here (using this as a guide http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/ToshibaA75/satA75_1.htm )

Step 2 - Got stuck on how to remove the wireless card. So I just have left it for now. I was able to get the bar out but couldn't figure out how to pull the card it's self out and I don't want to force anything. (See below step 10 for how I ended up getting it out.)

Step 5 - Got stuck on one of the screws where the battery is. Got stripped out. But as I read here http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=218198 be sure to have the right size screwdriver. Ransacking all my dads tools finally found one that fit very snuggly compared to what I was using. That was amazing. Not to mention it had a nice large handle to use.

Step 7 - That was nerve racking as it wouldn't come free from the side closest to the keyboard. Finally just pulling the top toward the keyboard starting at one side seemed to pry it free. I'm not sure if that is the way to do it though. That sure was a lot of pressure and I was expecting to hear or see broken plastic (well sort of). Hehe

Step 10 - Keyboard cable disconnecting looked really confusing. I did figure out that I could slide what I thought was the whole cable off with my fingernail on each side but realized that is the lock that holds the cable in there and all of a sudden the cable slid right out (which has no connector on the end, it's just a strip of plastic, so don't bend or horse on it much).

Step 2b - Seeing how that cable came out prompted me to go and take a second look at the wireless card. I inserted one of my thumb fingernails in between the card and what appeared to be the lock and pulled it slightly out away from the card (I did this to both sides). And then the card came right up. The wires connecting the card are just like button type connectors it appears (or at least I hope). 'White' goes to 'Main' connection and 'Black' to 'Aux'

Step 12 - The photo doesn't show the Wi-Fi cable (more then likely you'll probably remember what it is, had to be careful removing it). Also there is a grounding screw that is for the LCD screen cable that isn't mentioned in the instructions that needs to be removed (I'm assuming it's a ground, I could be wrong). Don't forget to put this back when you are putting it back. The screws for the inside part of the screen by the way are F8 screws it seems. I can't find it marked on the parts. I saw a list the other day listing all the screws that this uses. Not sure where it was now.

Step 14 - I can't seem to get the speaker cables off. The touch pad one came off like the keyboard one. Rather interesting way they do that. Proceeding.

Step 16 - Sure enough, once I got it off I could insert both thumb and index finger and use my fingernails to pull those speaker connectors off. Kind of hard even at that. By the way I used a thin flat screwdriver and my fingernails to pry the cover off. Don't have a guitar pick.

Step 18 - Had to go hunt for tools here. Using a 3/16 in. socket worked for the hex heads. Also I just looked at the Phillips screwdrivers I'm using... I started with a size #0 I guess and that was the one I got stuck on with a stripping screw. I found a #1 and that was the one that worked a lot better.

I stopped at step 20 as there was no point in going on for the soldiering job I needed to do.

Now to go find a good soldiering iron and some solder. Also I don't have a pump. Not sure if I'll get one though.

David Steele Apr 03, 2008, 12:42am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I was recently having the overheating problem with my A75. But I found some very detailed instructions on completely disassembling the computer along with pictures and was able to completely clean out the fans, heat sinks and mother board. So I'm pretty confident that I can take the computer apart again and get it back together, but is there any chance you could either post or email me a couple pictures of the repair that you did to the power jack? Thanks! My email address is david.steele135@comcast.net if you can email the pictures to me.

Dave

Ed McNamara Apr 09, 2008, 10:38am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Toshiba
Jan:

Did you get a response from Randy? I'd like to send him mine as well. Same problem for a very annoying 6 months.

-Ed

William Wall Apr 11, 2008, 06:12pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a similar issue with the A75-S206. It works fine when plugged into the power brick, but the battery will not charge, nor will the computer operate from battery power. If you just plug in the PC without turning it on, the orange "Charging" light comes on for a few seconds and then stops.

I have disassembled the machine and taken some measurements of the battery connection pins with the power brick plugged in (and the machine off):

1 - 1.44V
2 - 1.44V
3 - 3.18V
4 - 0.00V
5 - 3.25V
6 - 5V
7 - 5V
8 - GND
9 - GND

Is the above issue related to this one?

battery land Jan 06, 2009, 01:18am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
return back to the store,replace a new one.If need a new a75 laptop battery,see these:

http://www.laptopbatteryweb.com/toshiba-satellite-a75-series.htm

http://www.toshiba-laptop-battery.co.uk/toshiba-satellite-a75-series.htm

Battery Brand :Toshiba
P/N# :Satellite a75 Series
Battery Type :Li-ion
Voltage :14.8V
Capacity :6600mAh
Color :Black
Dimension :217.20 x 61.09 x 20.40 mm
Net Weight :737.09 g

k smith Jan 06, 2009, 02:30pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I posted on here a while back about the power jack. I bought a proper power jack for A75 for a couple bucks on ebay. I then removed the motherboard from the laptop using the great steps provided at:

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/ToshibaA75/satA75_1.htm

(they also have a link about the power jack). I took the new power jack and the motherboard to a local electronics repair shop. They had a $60 start rate but said that is all it would take to replace the power jack. To find the right repair shop took a few phone calls to local stores (Best Buy, Circuit City, Comp USA...) to find out which shop they used for their solder repairs. So for just over $60 the power headache was gone and has not recurred for at least 8 months now.

I read a post on here about overheating and using a vacuum to suck out the dust. So the last time overheating was shutting the computer down I decided to try it. I bent come paper clips to hold the fan blades in place (so they dont burn out due to rotation during the vac) then I used my shop vac to vacuum the grills on the bottom of the laptop while at the same time blowing air (proper compressed air can for computer cleaning) into the vents at the right rear by the power jack. The overheating stopped. The post suggested doing this every three months. I will open her back up every once in a while to do a thorough cleaning, but not every time now.

Thanks for all the great info on this post, it is very helpful.

Indo Ruwet Feb 01, 2009, 10:50pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Toshiba Satellite A75-S209 Battery and Power Problems
New here on this forum, but here is what I have done so far, without any improvement.

One post somewhere else, mentioned if you just solder two wires on the back side of the connector, that may do the trick. However, no cigar.

I do not think that my power supply (external brick) is the culprit, so I will just get a new connector on Monday and then replace that unit.

BTW, the symptoms as described in the very first post, is exactly what is happening on my unit.
Also, since I was in a hurry, I did have to disassemble and reassemble the unit a couple of times using the instructions on the iris website as a guide.
Hah ... I can disassemble now in record time .... as if that makes me feel happy ....

Last but not least, do not buy ever a replacement battery from a CHEAPY SOURCE,
like PDAPreferred.com. I did contact them, but as usual, people like that do not return your e-mails or phone calls. Lessons learned again ....
I got one that was only 60 dollars total, but did not even work after a few days and then your return privilege is over. It was also listed as 6600 capacity but only was a 4400 capacity, they misrepresented the unit on their web site.

Steve Canyon Feb 04, 2009, 12:53pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The problem I have seen on so many laptops is the lack of a cable restraint for the AC charging cord. After fixing the power pins on two of our laptops I went looking for something to keep the cable from pulling on the stupid fragile little pin everytime someone moved the cable or the laptop. Never found anything in my local electronics stores but after I saw a YouTube video with Chris Pirillo about cable stays on laptops I ordered a "thing" called a Jerk Stopper Cable retention device. Problem solved for me at least as this "thing" keeps tension off the pin regardless of what I do with the cable. And because the kit comes with three different restraints I managed to "do" two of our laptops with one kit.

jay jay Jan 02, 2010, 11:09pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
SOLUTION FOR MANY!!

wow hey i found a solution to the power problem, i took the laptop apart and did the dc jack fix but didnt work... then searched forums all day and found 3-4 people who have fixed this problem like so:
its the earth on the ac jack. just wrap some tin foil around the outside of the jack and then plug it in, bingo!!! fixed toshiba laptop A75, so far its running on AC and charging battery as normal for the first time in over a year! yeehaaaaaaaa!!!

so for sme people the problem isnt the board or dc socket, its the connection from the plug to the socket, the way its designed it doesnt make a good earth connection, there is no tension when u plug it in unless u make it tighter with some tin foil or tin tape would be better, then it would stay on the plug when u unplug it and would not require wrapping it every time u plug it in.
Im amazed I found a solution finally!!! dont have to send it in for repair or take apart laptop again, yaaaaaaaay :] im a happy plopper!

james parker Feb 23, 2010, 06:57pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi all,

My Satellite 2430-402D has been showing the AC adapter light to say its connected but the battery charging light randomly goes off although it charges the battery fine in hibernate mode.

At first I thought it must be the charger so i checked it and the amperage is 3.42 amps where as toshiba told me it needed 4.72 amps or something like that at 19 volts but after reading here about a few of the solutions I was unwilling to take the laptop apart but i tried it without the battery in and just the plug and its all fine now as long as the battery isnt in, i just need to put the battery in and charge when im not using it and when i was to go portable.

I havent tried the charger solution yet but to me it sounds a lot like the charger usnt supplying the demand of the battery and the pc at the same time enough to charge, hence why i get the flashing battery charging light even though the battery is discharging.

I am going to buy a new charger off eBay at the correct amperage in a couple of days and try it but for now this will have to do.

Toshiba should not be selling products with so many faults but if they dont get reported then they wont do anything about it.

james parker Feb 23, 2010, 06:58pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Also i forgot to add, i tried loads of power saving utilities and it didnt help at all with the problem so i dont recommend trying it.

oumayer schk Feb 24, 2010, 06:15am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello Everybody,

I have been having the same problems as most of you here. Recently I purchased another battery and i learnt that the battery carriage or the connectors in the battery compartment are loose.
The problem I was facing was the jack problem which i got solved by changing the jack (i don't know exactly the model the repair guy put in) but i no longer have the "loose jack" issue.

The second issue was the battery charging thing.
1. The power is connected with battery in position. The charging light comes on and after a few second switches off (meaning the battery is not charging anymore).
But if the system is turned off, the battery would charge and eventually after an hour of charging it would be portable, and normally works for about 1 hr 45 mins.

The problem was (in my case) that the battery was not fitting properly and hence not making contact properly. I just pressed the battery a bit and the problem was solved.

I still have to watch the charging light carefully in order to have it charged while working and power connected at the same time. Sometimes it goes off and the charging stops, so a little push to the battery under fixes the problem.

Sometimes in the portable mode, it switches off if the battery shifts a little bit, but a press under and re start does the job.

I normally use it for now on the table (connected or portable mode) and works fine.

I must say the Power jack was a main issue in the early stages but that has been solved.

Secondly, i have had to change the batteries 3 times, and finally found out that it was the battery which was never fitted properly and hence never charged. It was a small issue which is normally overlooked.

I do have other laptops, but Undoubtedly, this is one of its kind. I've had it now for 6 years and still love it.

Please try pressing the battery pack to make contact. I hope it solves this problem on your systems too.

regards

please feel free to send any questions to me direct oumayer@gmail.com

Desiree Preston Apr 28, 2010, 11:40pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
has anyone ever had an issue with the power supply chirping????:/

R Acker-Wolfhagen Jun 25, 2011, 01:50pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I used procmon64.exe from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/
they have tons of stuff to diagnose problems.

Katrina Pierre Feb 29, 2012, 12:57pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Carl Noone said:
I have one or more problems with my power supply and/or battery charger. Here are the symptoms:

1) When I plug my computer in to the wall, the Wall Power LED at the front of my machine lights up. If the computer is not powered on, the Battery LED _usually_ lights up as well. However, if I power on my computer, the Computer Power LED lights up but the Battery LED usually turns off. (This is new -- it never did that before this weekend).

2) If my computer is plugged in, turned on, and the Battery LED is off, the computer is _not_ actually running off of wall power but is instead running off of battery power.

3) If I remove my battery, plug in my computer, and start up, it runs for a while (apparently on wall current), before turning off unexpectedly.

4) There is apparently a loose connection between the power socket on the back of my computer and the computer power supply: Sometimes when I plug my computer in, the Wall Power LED _won't_ light up until/unless I wiggle the cord where it plugs into my computer.

If anyone could help me with a diagnosis/treatment, I'd appreciate it.

-Carl

Katrina Pierre Feb 29, 2012, 01:01pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Same issue overheating wont turn on.

Regarding this issue of the power turning on then off within second. This happened to me on my Sateliet A685S6094 withing the first 5 months. I was under warranty, and it was taken care of and send back. As has been stated something about dust and overheating. Well they need a better part or something. Now I have my computer one year and two months not under warranty and the same thing has happened. I have had a Dell and that never happened, of course, each one has it's own problems. But I had the Dell for 5 years. My daughter has the exact laptop I have and her battery is giving her problems.

I really loved the power and features on the Toshiba and the quad core but I would not purchase it again. They should make a better part or fan system for this problem. Now, I am trying to see if I can still buy an extended warranty since the computer is good except it won' work. lol I need to keep it a few more years. I will have to have a several year warranty because it will happen again. Any Comments please. Thank you.

Bemnet Sahulu Aug 29, 2012, 06:58am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Carl Noone said:
I have one or more problems with my power supply and/or battery charger. Here are the symptoms:

1) When I plug my computer in to the wall, the Wall Power LED at the front of my machine lights up. If the computer is not powered on, the Battery LED _usually_ lights up as well. However, if I power on my computer, the Computer Power LED lights up but the Battery LED usually turns off. (This is new -- it never did that before this weekend).

2) If my computer is plugged in, turned on, and the Battery LED is off, the computer is _not_ actually running off of wall power but is instead running off of battery power.

3) If I remove my battery, plug in my computer, and start up, it runs for a while (apparently on wall current), before turning off unexpectedly.

4) There is apparently a loose connection between the power socket on the back of my computer and the computer power supply: Sometimes when I plug my computer in, the Wall Power LED _won't_ light up until/unless I wiggle the cord where it plugs into my computer.

-Carl

Bemnet Sahulu Aug 29, 2012, 07:28am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Carl Noone said:

-Carl

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.