Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1207 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 11 - 12:47am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Problem Products /

Toshiba Satellite A75-S226 Battery and Power Problems 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, Next >>
R Warner Feb 17, 2006, 11:17pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Rob Heavens problem
If anyone has a problem like Rob Heavens I can fix that as well. I can get the power connector for about $12 plus shipping. I have not had to order one yet, so I don't know how long it would take to get the part. For the typical wiggle and jiggle problem a new connector is not necessary. It's interesting that I can buy the power connector for $12 and replace it in a couple of hours (including disassembly, re-assembly and testing), but Toshiba makes everyone buy new system boards at a cost of $400+!! Another way for Toshiba to stick it to those who put their faith and money into Toshiba products.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Lance Thaut Feb 18, 2006, 12:55am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Toshiba Satellite A75-S226 Battery and Power Problems
Randy,
I have the Model P15-S420
I'm sitting here with my motherboard out tonight and I don't see any cracks or breaks in my DC connector to the Motherboard, but I'd be willing to bet that is the issue. Can you tell me where you are finding those connectors? I looked at your "fix it" sketch and don't think it applies to my model.

travi lagr Feb 18, 2006, 02:41am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Randy,

I live in San Antonio Texas and I have the Toshiba A75-S226 model. last week I started observing the power/ac plug problem. Tonight it's so bad that I have to hold the plug for the battery to charge. I can get a copy of my recipt from Circuit City. I hope I can help. My info is below:

Travis LaGrone
9414 Lantana
San Antonio, Tx, 78217

email: travislagrone@gmail.com

john albrich Feb 18, 2006, 03:53am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm just curious....WHY the lawsuit?

Toshiba seems to be fixing machines sent back to them, and even fixing machines that are post warranty.
In many states Toshiba has no legal obligation to fix a machine out of warranty, but agreed to fix some of them anyway. Someone posted they initiated a recall. It seems like they are trying to address the problem.

A notebook computer is an amalgam of incredibly fragile technologies regardless who makes them. If one lasts more than 2 years in a typically abusive student or business environment, I'm very impressed.

Karen Olson Feb 18, 2006, 09:38am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
If Toshiba has actually posted a recall on the products then we may not have a case. Did you see where that recall was issued and for what models? This problem does seem to be effecting a wide range of models, so if the recall was only for a specific model we may have more luck.

Has anyone been in contact with Toshiba directly about the issue? Not just for their own sake, but to let them know there are a lot of really p**sed off people out there. Randy - before you put yourself through the class action circus, maybe those lawyers can get through to the proper Toshiba representatives with this thread. Or, find out what it will take to get them to recall all the models effected so that we can get this problem fixed, or get reimbursed. If we write enough letters or sign petitions or what have you....

Also, here's my next question. Has anyone who HAS had the motherboard replaced in their computers found the the problem returning. In otherwords, have they just replaced the old with a new (same) one, not really fixing the problem like Randy is....I'd be curious to know.

Mike Price Feb 18, 2006, 11:02am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I don't know if this helps but I contacted Toshiba and they flat out told me over the phone that it was going to cost me 1000 bucks easy and that it would take 4 to 6 weeks to get the laptop back. I brought up the issue of recall and they told me since I didn't have a warranty intact(it expired in December 05-made the call in Jan 06)
that I was out of luck. So something is screwy with Toshiba.

Im just thankful that I found Randy.

Mike

R Warner Feb 18, 2006, 06:59pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> several responses in one....
Karen Olson... I have heard of people getting their laptops repaired only to have the problem appear later. In fact, one person contacted me and said she sent her's in 3 times. Each time after a few months the problem reappeared. I have not heard of a publicly announced recall on this problem. There was a recall for a static discharge and shock problem. The law firm has and I am sure will continue to search for existing recalls or other actions which may affect the outcome of a class action. It is, afterall, in their best interest not to waste their time and money on a case that won't pay off for them. I am fully aware of class actions and how they can be. I am in this to the end and willing to do what is necessary to see it to fruition.

john albrich - class action suits are to right a wrong as well as punish corporations for wrong doing. It is clear that Toshiba has been aware of this and other issues, but has refused to step up and take responsibility. This not only forces them to fix the wrong, but it punishes them financially for their treatment of the issue. Toshiba as been fixing a very small number of the overall number of complaints. Of those repaired many fail again at a later date..often out of warranty and with no other recourse. My computer sits on my desk and is rarely moved, but yet it failed after 11 months of typical home use. A laptop often has a price tag well over $1,000. I am sure that I as well as many others do not spend $1,000 with the expectation that the laptop will only last 2 years. My question is why do you seem to be defending Toshiba in their less than favorable treatment of these issues?

Lance Thaut Feb 19, 2006, 03:14am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
OK, with encouragement from this thread, I went ahead and re-soldered the positive connection on the DC jack back onto the board. I did not run a wire, only re melted the solder on both sides of the board. Guess what? Problem fixed.

On the note about class action, I can't believe someone is willing to say,"I'll pay 1500.00 for two good years of use on this delicate flower of a machine, then won't expect anything more!" I think that is classic overseas manufacturing think. We should expect more.
Perfectly good laptops and motherboards hindered by the same small manufacturing or engineering flaw? Amongst different models? I don't think another 600-1000 to fix their hiring of an engineer that didn't think through the issue well enough is our fault.

Count me in!

Karen Olson Feb 19, 2006, 11:34am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Just as I thought. So Toshiba is simply replacing the problem with the same problem. Randy, (not that I doubt your skills, so please don't take this the wrong way) does your fix seem to permanantly fix the problem? Or has not enough time gone by to tell. I ask, not becuase I doubt, but for two reasons....One if it seems to be the ultimate answer, then it's a simple one and one the attorneys should have a step by step fix for - I'm sure you've had enough computers to repair to get good pictures now. The other is more a question for the attys. Can Toshiba use the fix against you? Kind of like a voided warentee...they can claim more damage was done not by their own hand...etc..ect. - Just some questions to think about.

I am willing to pitch in with the lawsuit. Does the co-plaintiff HAVE to be an Indiana resident? I live in Los Angeles, but it might be worth it to have nationwide representation.

Thanks again for going to bat for this!!

john albrich Feb 20, 2006, 10:59am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 20, 2006, 11:07am EST

Ref post Lance Thaut Feb 19, 2006, 03:14 AM

I did NOT say I don't expect more, I said I'm very impressed. There is a huge, big, massive difference.

It's just I know how rough some people are on their notebooks. They do not understand how fragile the underlying technologies are. REGARDLESS of how well manufactured something is there are limits on packaging, mechanical strength, heat dissipation, power density, organic chemical life expectancy (LCD displays), etc.

For example, I've seen people literally yank the power adapter cord from their notebook PC. They do this routinely, and with absolutely no thought at all about the hundreds of pounds per square inch of stress this places on a TINY connector. It's a human thing to do.

In many instances, you're talking extremely short lab-to-market times, and there just isn't time to thoroughly test things before they get out there in order to meet customer demand. If the companies took the time required to adequately test every single technology before it was even made available to the public, it would be years between product cycles instead of months. The public demand ever increasing performance, which requires bleeding edge technological innovation, and manufacturing facilities just can't keep up with the constant design changes in every instance.

I'm not an apologist...just telling what the technical reality is. I have no vested interest one way or the other.

There are some things in life, that no matter how much money you are williing to pay, it just isn't going to meet your expectations. The question then becomes, KNOWING the risks, are you willing to pay that kind of money?

This is, by the way, why as a consumer I never buy a first release computer, and rarely buy first release technology of any kind (unless it is for evaluation or there is no other choice) I like to see some maturity and field experience in the technology first.

travi lagr Feb 23, 2006, 02:15am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I totally agree with your thoughts on never buying newly released items. I mainly wait becuase I know prices will drop dramatically in a few years. But as for the problem with the jack, I dont care if its a new computer, jacks have been around for a long time. Any kinda of external usage of a device (potentiometers, jacks, buttons...etc.) that is directly mounted to a circuit board is going to go through some stress. And if that device is not anchored to the frame, when you push on it or turn it, your putting pressure on the circuit board. If toshiba decided to cut corners because it speeds up the assembly process then thats thier mistake. Personally I feel screwed. I, like many of you, paid 1400 bucks for a computer that after a year and a half has crapped out to the point where I cant even use it. Some of you lucky guys and girls have gotten a complete 2 years use out of your laptop. If toshiba was willing to admit that they screwed up and would fix the problem then I might have faith in them, but for now I dont think I'll ever buy another toshiba laptop. Ironically, I purchased a toshiba because everyone I talked to said they were extremely reliable. Dude, I should have got a Dell.. or HP.. or compaq.. shoot even one of those Emachines would be better.

Randy, I'm probably gonna use my mom laptop for a while so I can send you my toshiba soon (as soon as I can pack it up). I'll shoot you an email for your address.

Travis

john albrich Feb 23, 2006, 03:23am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
You're definitely right about the jacks. I suspect it may be a matter of overconfidence in a basic design or material, followed by "tweaking" to meet some cost or manufacturing decision. The old "we're only changing this a little bit...that won't change anything" kind of attitude that has consequences like space shuttle destruction.

Unfortunately, one tweak is often followed by another and another as each person tries to get their name on the manager's or executive's "good guy" list. The cumulative effect can be catastrophic.

The average consumer would be stunned how much effort can go into reducing the cost of production by 10cents per unit...whether the change is in bill of materials, manufacturing process costs, manufacturing waste handling, electricity costs, test costs, documentation costs, etc.

Since the power connector seems to be involved in at least some of the cases, if it were my computer I'd also be concerned about the potential for other kinds of problems...like critical overheating at the failure point.

Paul Mack Feb 23, 2006, 09:29am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello all (new member)

We should have toshiba anonymous meetings !

Any way...bottom line: What component on the mother board do I solder to...the upper right silver bar or the lower one ? (or does it matter?) ...Am I safe in saying that either one...its the RIGHT side of it that I am soldering to correct ?

Thanks !!

Mike Price Feb 24, 2006, 05:22pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well if its ok with Randy(and if he hasn't done it already) I will post the pictures he sent me of the repair if that will help you folks that are attempting to do it yourself?

Let me know
Mike

John Lin Feb 24, 2006, 10:12pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Has anyone found an adapter to plug the power cord in at a 90 degree angle to relieve the stress on the jack? I have a Fujitsu laptop which I bought seven years ago that connects with 90 degree elbow that has never had a problem. This is obviously a major design flaw by Toshiba. I have found that Gateway, Acer and several others have the 90 degree elbow connection. Why has such a simple fix, escaped the folks at Toshiba?

john albrich Feb 25, 2006, 11:30am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 25, 2006, 11:33am EST

This is one of those design-point decisions.

The 90deg jack can actually contribute to MORE damage to the computer than an in-line jack. The issue is one of whether the jack removal is intentional or whether it is accidental. Here are 2 scenarios:

1) You're in a hurry, and you grab your notebook computer from the table, forgetting that it's plugged in. Assuming you walk away and pull the notebook straight away from the adapter cable, then...With an in-line jack, the pull-out stresses are pretty much minimized. With a 90deg jack, the pull-out stresses are angled to the socket, and can result in a tremendous torsional forces being applied to the connections, solder joints, etc.

2) Someone comes along and trips over your power adapter cable. While an in-line jack may or may not help reduce the forces in this situation, a 90deg jack again introduces lateral forces pretty much regardless of the direction from which the cable is pulled. It's also possible that a 90deg jack won't release in time and the notebook itself gets pulled off the table and crashes to the floor.

So, it MAY be that Toshiba was considering what happens in "accident" scenarios as opposed to normal user "gentle" removal scenarios where the user properly grips the jack instead of the cable and slowly pulls it straight out. The difference is whether the jack is removed by pulling on the cable or pulling on the jack right at the computer.

Or, Toshiba may have just wanted to save a few pennies.

Juli Jurgens Mar 09, 2006, 12:52pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a Toshiba A55-s306, and guess what - same power cord problem.

I have extended warranty, and they told me that they would have to replace my motherboard, and reformat the computer (OUCH!).

I used someone else's power cord, and the problem vanished. I used the power cord from a newer model Toshiba. It seemed to be "grippier" than mine.

The extended warranty place is sending me a new power cord to see if the issue is resolved - at least for now. I am in school online & can't imagine to have to reinstall everything due to their need to reformat! Question: Is it necessary to reformat when a motherboard is replaced?

Dave Gerdt Mar 12, 2006, 09:48pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Just to encourage those with this problem, I was able to repair my notebook yesterday. I got somebody to help me with the soldering (not like a professional, just another pair of hands) and it worked. Thanks to all of the people who figured this out and were so helpful with their posts. It gave a big confidence boost.

To the above post, no, i do not think they do not have to reformat your disk to install a motherboard (at least you do not have to lose your data, they just don't want to go to the trouble of doing it for you). The second time I had to send my notebook I just bought an external HD enclosure from CompUSA for like 20 bucks and backed up my data myself before I sent it in. Pretty easy to do.

Meghal Patel Mar 14, 2006, 06:24pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a Toshiba P-20, with exactly same problem with my power as mentioned in this thread. Now I have my computer dis-assembled to the very last step.
But looking at the few diagrams and solution descriptions that have been posted here, I am still confused about from where to where the extra wire should be soldered.

Can somebody please help me :(?

Thank you very much.

Meghal

C Batchelor Mar 15, 2006, 04:38pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I found this site while researching a problem with my Satellite A75-S206. Same problem as described with the power. Everytime I powered on the laptop the battery would stop charging and begin to power the unit. Even though the plug led would be on the battery would drain. Sometimes removing plug and reinserting would give me power but it became VERY frustrating. No longer under warranty so I decided to dig in.

I disassembled the unit down to the mobo and it was evident that the solder was cracked. I performed the fix that others have done here and voila, it worked. Soldered a wire from the top of the board at the point where the wire comes from the back of the plug. Too tight of a fit for me to get to the board without affecting the neighboring chip. Looped the wire around to the bottom of the board and soldered there, giving a little extra to seal and possibly prevent future breakage. Not sure about posting pics on this site but I did take snapshots of the disassemble and points where I soldered.

My first teardown of a notebook but was very simple. I always say that if man made it, man can fix it.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.